Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Senor Candle posted:

Because you don't need obsolete hardware to read a book.

Yeah you do, it's called "a book". :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's going to be lovely school districts for the next 50 years that will still need lovely textbooks because they wont be able to afford tablet desks or computers for their kids.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't think that's true. It's not going to go away completely overnight, but I mean, do you really think people will still be buying music CDs in 20 years? What exactly makes you think books are any different?

CDs have been around for about 30 years whereas written media has been around for thousands

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

While physical comic books might always be a thing, the comic book store might not be. One major book store chain closed in the last few years and there's no shortage of local stores across the nation that have shut down. I mean I love locally owned businesses, but when Amazon sells most trades for 20% off MSRP with free shipping it makes it really hard to plop down MSRP at a comic book store that is a mile away from where I live.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

CDs have been around for about 30 years whereas written media has been around for thousands

That isn't really relevant but okay.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't really relevant but okay.

OK

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I mean what was the point of saying that?

The technology that makes books obsolete didn't exist for thousands of years, while the technology that made CD's obsolete existed much earlier in the cycle.

Good to know? It just seems so pointless.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

The technology that makes books obsolete didn't exist for thousands of years, while the technology that made CD's obsolete existed much earlier in the cycle.

OK

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh you are just trolling, you would think you could put some effort into but why start now.

Anyway, yeah books are going to be obsolete as technology cheapens. Pretty soon it will just be hipsters and overly nostalgic people still using them.

Granted this hits the comic book demographic fairly well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Books aren't obsolete.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

notthegoatseguy posted:

While physical comic books might always be a thing, the comic book store might not be. One major book store chain closed in the last few years and there's no shortage of local stores across the nation that have shut down. I mean I love locally owned businesses, but when Amazon sells most trades for 20% off MSRP with free shipping it makes it really hard to plop down MSRP at a comic book store that is a mile away from where I live.

Which is why I say, evolve or die.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh you are just trolling, you would think you could put some effort into but why start now.

Anyway, yeah books are going to be obsolete as technology cheapens. Pretty soon it will just be hipsters and overly nostalgic people still using them.

Granted this hits the comic book demographic fairly well.

i mean i know you're Argument Boy, but okay, i will humor you for 1 post:

people develop nostalgic attachment to things, yes? this, i'm sure we can agree on. let's look at vinyl records: those have been obsolete at least since CDs were invented 30+ years ago. and yet they thrive at this point, to the point where it's easier for a mid-level band to make money off records than CDs. because people have an attachment to them. and gramophone records only date back to the 19th century.

by contrast, the oldest extant book dates back to 868 AD. so books have 1000+ years of cultural baggage attached to them. e-books have of course led to a downtick in book sales, but the idea that the kindle is gonna have such an extreme effect that people are gonna be like "well gently caress books" to the degree that we'll see them cease large-scale production in our lifetime is laughable. like, it's far more likely we're gonna see the collapse of industrial civilization in our lifetime then we'll see books disappear. when you say "only overly nostalgic people will use them," what you are saying is "I won't use them, because I know that books are obsolete :smug:" but you are not the world.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 27, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean i know you're Argument Boy, but okay, i will humor you for 1 post:

people develop nostalgic attachment to things, yes? this, i'm sure we can agree on. let's look at vinyl records: those have been obsolete at least since CDs were invented 30+ years ago. and yet they thrive at this point, to the point where it's easier for a mid-level band to make money off records than CDs. because people have an attachment to them. and gramophone records only date back to the 19th century.

by contrast, the oldest extant book dates back to 868 AD. so books have 1000+ years of cultural baggage attached to them. e-books have of course led to a downtick in book sales, but the idea that the kindle is gonna have such an extreme effect that people are gonna be like "well gently caress books" to the degree that we'll see them cease large-scale production in our lifetime is laughable. like, it's far more likely we're gonna see the collapse of industrial civilization in our lifetime then we'll see books disappear.
I am not argument boy but whatever, and I said that books will appeal to the overly nostalgic just like Vinyl does, but like Vinyl it will be a niche within a niche. Hardly worth caring about or catering to except for the no doubt very specific businesses that will stick around. So good job arguing the one point we mostly agree with I guess?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

by contrast, the oldest extant book dates back to 868 AD. so books have 1000+ years of cultural baggage attached to them. e-books have of course led to a downtick in book sales, but the idea that the kindle is gonna have such an extreme effect that people are gonna be like "well gently caress books" to the degree that we'll see them cease large-scale production in our lifetime is laughable. like, it's far more likely we're gonna see the collapse of industrial civilization in our lifetime then we'll see books disappear. when you say "only overly nostalgic people will use them," what you are saying is "I won't use them, because I know that books are obsolete " but you are not the world.
A cultural baggage that doesn't apply to most people as books werent a thing most people owned to relatively recently. Also I no doubt am also one of those overly nostalgic people that will still use physical books but I can at least that me liking something doesn't mean it is good or practical.

Skwirl posted:

Books aren't obsolete.
They basically are yeah.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't understand the attachment to books that makes you wanna argue so badly in their defense, nostalgia or not.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

A cultural baggage that doesn't apply to most people as books werent a thing most people owned to relatively recently.

...OK

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Eh its an easy mistake to make, so don't feel to bad. Though they do have a nice parallel to digital as one of the reasons was cost.

It ends there as the other one was general literacy.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am not argument boy

Nice try argument boy.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Boom, on the head. Of course the way the American education system is working our brains will be the obsolete tech in another generation.

So.... that means our brains will be replaced by physical books?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

CowboyAndy posted:

So.... that means our brains will be replaced by physical books?

No, our brains will be replaced with .cbr files.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I'm thinking about getting into New Avengers, since I keep hearing about all this Incursion poo poo and want to know where it's going, but... judging by the little I've read about it on Wikipedia, is it as much of a sausagefest as it looks like it is?

Like, if the central cast is all-male, fine, whatever, but I just want to know in advance.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Castomira posted:

I'm thinking about getting into New Avengers, since I keep hearing about all this Incursion poo poo and want to know where it's going, but... judging by the little I've read about it on Wikipedia, is it as much of a sausagefest as it looks like it is?

Like, if the central cast is all-male, fine, whatever, but I just want to know in advance.

Yes. It is. I mean, there is one lady, but she spends most of the run in a glass box wearing Emma Frost levels of clothing. So if that's going to ruin it for you, beware.

It is a loving awesome story though. And it's all about how terrible all these dudes who think they can fix everybody's problems are. Also you have to read it with Hickmans Avengers to.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I live in an area of the world where I have no access to floppies so it's digital or bust for me.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Castomira posted:

Yeah it absolutely is. Sue Storm does show up and be a total badass for an issue or two down the line though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Castomira posted:

Yeah, New Avengers is a total sausage fest, but it ties in heavily with Avengers, and that book has a bunch of women in it. I guess I never realized that about New Avengers since I was always reading both books at the same time.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Damion Scott is off the book after issue 10 and Felipe is doing writing and art for issue 11. Issue 12 will most likely be the last.

A shame because I really like Robbie Reyes and his story, but he'll probably be shuffled off for good after this.
As disliked as Damion Scott's art has been, I noticed that the book fell hard even during Tradd Moore's run so I'm not sure that anyone else (Felipe included) on the art could have helped.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

The Goon posted:

I live in an area of the world where I have no access to floppies so it's digital or bust for me.

I live in Taipei,Taiwan. A place where technology is all over the place, and I see kids with iPads still going to the local 'library' to check out manga. I don't know where someone said printing costs are on the rise, but I think it's more likely that you're going to see "decentralized" printing.

I foresee the future being monthly digital sales with Print on Demand, licensed TPBs available in 2-3 delivered to your door via Amazon drone.

Question for Rhyno: have you, or anyone else who works/owns a store, done a write-up discussing the future of comic book stores in a frank and realistic manner? The only ones I've read are all "Comic stores are landmarks, gently caress Marvel/DC from trying to gut our industry with their digital revolution!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaybackJack posted:

Question for Rhyno: have you, or anyone else who works/owns a store, done a write-up discussing the future of comic book stores in a frank and realistic manner? The only ones I've read are all "Comic stores are landmarks, gently caress Marvel/DC from trying to gut our industry with their digital revolution!"

There have been lots of great pieces on it in the past but I'm blitzed on chinese food and can't remember a single one right now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of all male New Avengers, I was thinking about if I was magically given the chance to write any Marvel book, it would be an all female Avengers title.

If its not a current on going, called Might Avengers. The leader would be Captain Marvel, with Black Widow, Wasp, Rogue, Scarlett Witch, X-23, Kate Bishop and She-Hulk. Basicly, Steve comes to Carol and tells her "I want you to form an all lady Avengers team, here's the list of people I want you to recruit. When asked why Kate is on there Steve would reply "you need a Hawkeye, you've got a hulk". X-23 is there because Steve knows that while Logan was a violent man, he had a limitless capacity for good, so he wants to get to her early.

This is the kind of poo poo I think about when doing manual tasks at work.

And Holy poo poo New Avengers, I was a day late getting my books this week, and I was wondering why people were freaking out, but now I see. So was Strange always with the Black Priests or is this a new 8 months later thing?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of all male New Avengers, I was thinking about if I was magically given the chance to write any Marvel book, it would be an all female Avengers title.

If its not a current on going, called Might Avengers. The leader would be Captain Marvel, with Black Widow, Wasp, Rogue, Scarlett Witch, X-23, Kate Bishop and She-Hulk. Basicly, Steve comes to Carol and tells her "I want you to form an all lady Avengers team, here's the list of people I want you to recruit. When asked why Kate is on there Steve would reply "you need a Hawkeye, you've got a hulk". X-23 is there because Steve knows that while Logan was a violent man, he had a limitless capacity for good, so he wants to get to her early.

This is the kind of poo poo I think about when doing manual tasks at work.

I'd make it Carol's initiative, instead of having a man give her the task.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You're lucky, I only have really bad comic ideas when I'm at work. Like the time I thought SVU should investigate Wolverine for all the time he spends alone with those teenage girls.

"The Trial of Wolverine"!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Lady JLA/Avengers.

Carol Danvers
Storm
Phoenix
Angela
Invisible Woman
Mystique
Scarlet Witch

Should cover all your bases. Your leader in Carol, someone who can manipulate the battlefield on a wide scale in Storm, your mental powered person in Phoenix with bullshit powers, your physical powerhouse in Angela, stealth in Invisible Woman, infiltration and espionage with Mystique, and then your magic user in Scarlet Witch. Have it masterminded by Pepper Potts or something who can give the tech and funding expense. The only thing it lacks is a woman of Reed/Tony like intellect, somehow they all seem to be guys in the comics.

EDIT: poo poo, speed. That'd be...uh...Spitfire. Yeah. And shrinking and biggening that'd be Wasp. They can be bit players like Atom or Cyborg something.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 28, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gatts posted:

Should cover all your bases. Your leader in Carol, someone who can manipulate the battlefield on a wide scale in Storm, your mental powered person in Phoenix with bullshit powers, your physical powerhouse in Angela, stealth in Invisible Woman, infiltration and espionage with Mystique, and then your magic user in Scarlet Witch. Have it masterminded by Pepper Potts or something who can give the tech and funding expense. The only thing it lacks is a woman of Reed/Tony like intellect, somehow they all seem to be guys in the comics.

That's exactly it! Widow is supposed to be tech smart, same with Kitty, but none are really on the Reed/Stark/Pym level of intelligence.

And My thoughts were

Captain Marvel - Leader
Widow - The pragmatic and cold tactician second in command.
She Hulk - Smashy one
X-23 - the kid
Kate - The joker
Rogue - the one who acts like they hate everyone but really likes them
Scarlett Witch - The crazy one.
Wasp - The heart

But yea, I'd switch it around that Carol goes to Cap and says "I wanna form a team where NO MAN tells us what to do". Plus having Rogue on a team lead by Carol would show that 'hey these people hated each other but they can work together". I'd probably have Kitty, Storm, Spiderwoman and Emma join in at some point. Both Emma and Kitty would refuse because they are concerned about their students, same with Storm, and Jess would be "i'm too busy with my own avengering".

One big thing is they would take on threats that are Avenger level; something that bugged me about Xmen is that they were an all girl team that fought girl villains. No, Carols Avengers would fight Kang or MODOK and such.

"So how many people have slept with Wonder Man in this room?" Kate asked.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Steve goes to Carol and says "you should form an all-dame Avengers and here's who should be on it" and Carol says "I've been running my all-woman team for a year now, thanks for noticing, and my roster is objectively superior to yours, strategically."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

head58 posted:

Steve goes to Carol and says "you should form an all-dame Avengers and here's who should be on it" and Carol says "I've been running my all-woman team for a year now, thanks for noticing, and my roster is objectively superior to yours, strategically."

Steve: "Carol, I need you to form an all woman team of Avengers. This is very important for a specific mission that can't involve men."
Carol: "Okay, Cap."
Carol: "I got them. LADIES, ASSEMBLE!"
Steve: "Great, here is your mission. I got the guys coming over for the superbowl and I need all of you to make a great spread."
*points to grill and kitchen designed by Tony Stark

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Lurdiak posted:

You're lucky, I only have really bad comic ideas when I'm at work. Like the time I thought SVU should investigate Wolverine for all the time he spends alone with those teenage girls.

Yeah this. Kitty, Jubilee, Hisako, Laura, Idie, did I forget anyone?

I mean, it's not like he's actually done anything inappropriate (right?) but for someone over a hundred years old, he sure spends a lot of time around under-18 girls.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Nobody wants she-hulk, even a purposefully all female team fighting some y-chromosone controlling villian wants Hulk.

Gatts posted:

Steve: "Carol, I need you to form an all woman team of Avengers. This is very important for a specific mission that can't involve men."
Carol: "Okay, Cap."
Carol: "I got them. LADIES, ASSEMBLE!"
Steve: "Great, here is your mission. I got the guys coming over for the superbowl and I need all of you to make a great spread."
*points to grill and kitchen designed by Tony Stark

Carol presses the big red button labeled Great Super Bowl Spread and sighs as the fully automated grill begins it's work.
Steve: "Where's the clicker for the Television? Somebody get me Ant-Man!"

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 28, 2014

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SirDan3k posted:

Nobody wants she-hulk, even a purposefully all female team fighting some y-chromosone controlling villian wants Hulk.

Carol presses the big red button labeled Great Super Bowl Spread and sighs as the fully automated grill begins it's work.
Steve: "Where's the clicker for the Television? Somebody get me Ant-Man!"

Tony: "We have some uniforms for you."
*skimpy french maid outfits that have the letter A on them*
Tony: "Be a dear and get me some Oban."
Steve: *slaps Carol's rear end as she walks to the kitchen*

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Captain America we deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Yeah this. Kitty, Jubilee, Hisako, Laura, Idie, did I forget anyone?

I mean, it's not like he's actually done anything inappropriate (right?) but for someone over a hundred years old, he sure spends a lot of time around under-18 girls.

Sometimes he takes them to sheds in the woods or other countries with different age of consent laws, too. :ohdear:

• Locked thread