Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Say what you will about Darken Rahl, he held out against the all-consuming power of legendary artifacts like a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Domus posted:

Wait, wait, I just noticed something else:

So he's saying he's going to sleep with Kahlan. The Confessor. You know, who can't loving touch anybody or they become her slave. Keep track of your own rules, book!

Also, isn't Richard going to be eaten in 6 days by a dragon?

I think the assumption is that after Rahl has the power of God he can pretty much do whatever he wants to.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

DrPossum posted:

:wtc: did you go to mord sith school?

Well I only read out that one sequence, so all they knew was the bit where a pedophile gets his nuts cut off and fed to him, followed by being smacked in the head with a mace. Out of context that's pretty metal.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Glazius posted:

Say what you will about Darken Rahl, he held out against the all-consuming power of legendary artifacts like a boss.

Yeah, his death goes on for a while.

Now that Rahl is dead, let's see what our heroes do to celebrate.

quote:

"Richard, I touched you with the magic. I felt it. I heard it. I saw it. How could the power not have taken you?"

"Because I was protected."

"Protected? How?"

"By my love for you. I realized I love you more than life itself, and I would rather give myself into your power than live without you. Nothing the magic could do to me could be worse than living without you. I was willing to give it all over to you. I offered the power everything I have. All of my love for you. Once I realized how much I loved you, was willing to be yours on any terms, I understood that there could be nothing for the magic to harm. I'm already devoted to you; it didn't need to change me. I was protected, because I have already been touched, by your love. I had utter faith that you felt the same, and had no fear of what would happen. Had I had any doubt, the magic would have latched on to that crack and taken me, but I had no doubt. My love for you is smooth and seamless. My love for you protected me from the magic."

She gave him her special smile. "You felt that way? You had no doubt?"

Richard smiled back. "Well, for a moment, when I saw those lightning bolts on your face, I have to admit, I was worried. I didn't know what they were, what they meant. I pulled the sword, trying to gain time to think. But then I realized it didn't matter; you were still Kahlan, and I still loved you, no matter what. I wanted you to touch me more than anything, to prove my love and devotion for you, but I had to put on an act for Darken Rahl's benefit."

"These symbols mean that I, too, gave everything over to you," she whispered.

Kahlan circled her arms around his neck, kissing him. They knelt on the tiles in front of the devotion pool, pressed against one another. Richard kissed her soft lips the way he had dreamed a thousand times of kissing her. He kissed her until he was dizzy, and then kissed her some more, not caring that bewildered people who passed watched them.

And then they get the big hollywood happy ending. Imagine time speeding up for a bit as they make out in a lovely garden.

quote:

Richard had no idea how long they knelt there embracing, but decided at last that they had better go find Zedd.

Or they could go find Wizard Daddy I guess. NO loving GAME ON THIS GUY.

quote:

"Zedd, he loves me! He figured out how to make it work, with the magic. There was a way, and he found it."

Zedd frowned down at her. "Well, it took him long enough."

Kahlan came to her feet. "You knew how to do it?"

Zedd looked indignant at the question. "I'm a wizard of the First Order. Of course I knew."

"And you never told us?"

Zedd smiled. "Had I told you, dear one, it wouldn't have worked. The foreknowledge would have interjected a grain of doubt. That single grain would have caused failure. To be the true love of a Confessor, there must be total commitment, to get past the magic. Without the willingness to give himself over to you, selflessly, despite the knowledge of the consequence, it wouldn't work."

"You seem to know a lot about it." Kahlan frowned. "I have never heard of it before. How often does this happen?"

Zedd rubbed his chin in thought, looking up at the windows. "Well, only once before that I know of."

And then Goodkind wrote a novel about it decades later, because that dude also has no loving game.

Here is what happens after this: Richard now rules D'Hara, has his brother beheaded, sends the Westland and People's Armies to go undo the fire ban, and can't eat cheese.

quote:

Richard tried the cheese, and to his surprise found it had a sickening flavor. He threw it back on the table as he made a sour face.

"What's the matter?" Zedd asked.

"That has to be the worst-tasting cheese I've ever eaten!"

Zedd sniffed it and took a bite. "Nothing wrong with the cheese, my boy."

"Fine, then you eat it."

Zedd was only too happy to comply.

So yeah, wonder why that is. Maybe we'll find out next time! This novel ends on so many goddamn dangling threads. Similarly, this is going to be left until next time when it does not happen at all:

quote:

"I have a job for you." The man waited in silence. "I think you would be good at getting it done. I want you to collect all the Mord-Sith. Every last one."

"Yes, sir." He looked a little pale. "They will all be executed before sunset."

"No! I don't want them executed!"

The man blinked in confusion. "What am I to do with them?"

"You are to destroy their Agiels. Every last one. I don't ever want to see an Agiel again." He held up the one at his neck. "Except this one. Then you are to find them new clothes. Burn every stitch of Mord-Sith clothes. They are to be treated with kindness, and respect."

The man's eyes went wide. "Kindness," he whispered, "and respect?"

"That's what I said. They are to be given jobs helping people, they are to be taught to treat people in the same way they are treated: with kindness and respect. I don't know how you are to do that, you'll just have to figure it out yourself. You look like a bright fellow. All right?"

He frowned. "And what if they refuse to change?"

Richard glared at the man. "Tell them that if they choose to stay on t
he same path, instead of taking another, then they will find the Seeker with the white sword at the end of the road."
The guard smiled, put his fist to his heart in salute, and gave a smart bow.

Zedd leaned forward. "Richard, the Agiel are magic, they can't simply be destroyed."

The novel ends with Richard returning that Mud People kid that Nass stole to them on dragonback, which is a plan I expect will go over SO SHITTILY because the last time Scarlet came in, she murdered shitloads of them. Meanwhile, Zedd is Zedd.

quote:

The man in the white robes approached. "Wizard Zorander, is Master Rahl about? There are matters to be discussed."

Zedd peered up at the dragon disappearing in the sky. "Master Rahl will be away for a time."

"But he will return?"

"Yes." Zedd looked back to the man's waiting face. "Yes, he will return. You will just have to carry on until then."

The man shrugged. "We are used to that, here at the People's Palace— waiting for the Master to return." He turned and started off, but stopped when Zedd called him back.

"I'm hungry. Is there anywhere to get something to eat around here?"

The man smiled and held his arm out to the palace entrance. "Of course, Wizard Zorander. Allow me show you to a dining hall."

"How about it, Chase? Care for some lunch before I'm on my way?"

The boundary warden looked down at Rachel. "Lunch?" She grinned and nodded in earnest. "All right, Zedd. And where is it you're going?"

Zedd shifted his robes. "To see Adie."

Chase lifted an eyebrow. "A little rest and relaxation?" He grinned.

Zedd couldn't help smiling a little. "That, and I must take her to Aydindril, to the Wizard's Keep. We have a lot of reading to do."

"Why would you want to take Adie to Aydindril, to the Wizard's Keep, to read?"

Zedd gave the boundary warden a sidelong glance. "Because she knows more about the underworld than anyone alive."

DUN DUN DUMB

So we're done here, and I'm taking a day or two off because of work/Thanksgiving, and then I'll write some stuff up about what had to be done to this novel to adapt it for television.

Spoilers: the Mord-Sith still factor in heavily. Almost moreso.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Care of one of the thread's posters, I was asked to put this up with the final update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hZDzVYMF4

For the record, if you ever need to burn a book, possibly one of Counted Shadows, please be sure to open it and lay it facedown, spine in the air. It'll kindle faster in that fashion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How does it factor into objectivism to order a group of people to completely change their way? To force them into compassionnate acts even!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Care of one of the thread's posters, I was asked to put this up with the final update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hZDzVYMF4

For the record, if you ever need to burn a book, possibly one of Counted Shadows, please be sure to open it and lay it facedown, spine in the air. It'll kindle faster in that fashion.

If we'd banned fire properly, you never could've gotten away with this! :colbert:

I am generally very opposed to the burning of books, but in this case, I'm astonished that some kind of horrible, shrieking ghost of evil didn't come tearing out of the thing as it died. You've done God's work.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

MonsieurChoc posted:

How does it factor into objectivism to order a group of people to completely change their way? To force them into compassionnate acts even!

That's okay, because they're untermenschen, and therefore are content with their lot in life: being ordered around by whoever is in charge, in this case Richard.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

MonsieurChoc posted:

Spoilers: they're all going to give him the finger and continue pain-rodding for Rahl. Just, y'know. The new Rahl, decidedly different from the old Rahl.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Let me see if I understand this.

The big final battle and ending was "the hero was in this one place where he can't lie, but lied."

That's the final cataclysmic conclusion to this fantasy epic.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ProfessorCirno posted:

The big final battle and ending was "the hero was in this one place where he can't lie, but lied."

Yes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Look, Penis Rahl the Second is always right. :dong:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Penis Rahl 2: Dick Harder.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ProfessorCirno posted:

Spoilers: every antagonist in the series is defeated by some combination of:

- Richard suddenly using some previously unseen magic skills because ~war wizard~
- Richard making an incredible logical leap to exactly the correct answer because ~seeker~
- Richard and/or Kahlan loving the other extra hard

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 27, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

The pacing of this whole book seems so bad. The beginnning is sorta inoffensive I guess what with the prerquisite introductions of the characters, but then they just kinda aimlessly gently caress around in the country without really accomplishing much of anything towards their final goal. Then there's torture fun time out of left field, and then the "climax" just sort of happens. Nothing about the final confrontation is informed by anything they've done in the rest of the book. Dick and Kahlan could have just surrendered to Rahl at the very beginning and it'd have gone the same way.

Besides, has there been anything particularly romantic happening between Dick and Kahlan, anything that'd show they're well suited to each other? This seems like a ridiculously blatant case of "Protagonist is single, female supporting character is the only available woman, ergo ~*~true love~*~"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I could only glance at evertything you posted most of the time because it was so embarassingly bad, but congratulations.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Sindai posted:

- Richard suddenly using some previously unseen magic skills because ~war wizard~
- Richard making an incredible logical leap to exactly the correct answer because ~seeker~

- Coldblooded mass murder
- People acknowledging Richard as the ubermesch <----- actually the most common and to be taken completely literally

Perestroika posted:

Besides, has there been anything particularly romantic happening between Dick and Kahlan, anything that'd show they're well suited to each other? This seems like a ridiculously blatant case of "Protagonist is single, female supporting character is the only available woman, ergo ~*~true love~*~"

He's the only person she's ever met who doesn't fear or even really respect her at all which to be fair is something, I guess. Hell he basically treats her like human garbage at several points and for whatever reason that makes her even more clingy to him.

And just so you know every explicitly hot woman in this series is either extremely attracted to Richard or is gay/incredibly evil. I guess maybe Cara is the only real exception?

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 27, 2014

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Perestroika posted:

The pacing of this whole book seems so bad. The beginnning is sorta inoffensive I guess what with the prerquisite introductions of the characters, but then they just kinda aimlessly gently caress around in the country without really accomplishing much of anything towards their final goal. Then there's torture fun time out of left field, and then the "climax" just sort of happens. Nothing about the final confrontation is informed by anything they've done in the rest of the book. Dick and Kahlan could have just surrendered to Rahl at the very beginning and it'd have gone the same way.

One of the things that made me forgive the tone / voice / writing style of the first Harry Potter and actually enjoy the series is that Rowling set herself up to do this hard... Then had Hermoine end up with Ron instead. A good story, decent pacing and a complete lack of pain dildos and noncon bdsm helped too. I kinda feel guilty bringing Harry Potter up here.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I could only glance at evertything you posted most of the time because it was so embarassingly bad, but congratulations.

Woah there it's way too early for
Congratulations. We haven't even had demon sex yet, let alone some of the really hosed up poo poo later.

I mean the Slyph? That's seriously hosed up.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Sindai posted:

It's very objectivist: the protagonist really is just better than everyone around him, and if other people tell him he can't do something? Well, that's just because they lack his piercing insight.

There's a part of me that thinks there's a decent fantasy novel to be written where the protagonist is a Randian ubermensch, except the villain is also a Randian ubermensch. The confrontation is, like, 1/3 of the way in and it's finally enough for them to realise what colossal dickbags they've been. The rest of the book is them fighting against the power structures they created, for the benefit of the people they screwed over before.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'd mentally retconned it into something workable just with unreliable narrators. Someone can't lie when Confessed because they know it would disappoint the one they are in love with. Which just about makes sense. (Little things like lying to impress people are a bit too nuanced for this series). But Richard knew Kalhan and Rahl ( Darken in this case) was an arrogant dick. Richard would have disappointed Kalhan if he had told the truth in this case. So what saved the world was Dick thinking that a woman was a person and thinking about what she wanted when Darken just thought she was a thing to be used.

In other words Feminism saved the world.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I guess my thing is, literally the entire book seems to be entirely pointless. Absolutely nothing that occurred at any point mattered. It all boiled down to the good guys losing in the end, but then they win, because the protagonist couldn't lie, but totally did anyways. I know the book already has countless flaws, but "is entirely pointless" wasn't one I sincerely saw coming.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ProfessorCirno posted:

I guess my thing is, literally the entire book seems to be entirely pointless. Absolutely nothing that occurred at any point mattered. It all boiled down to the good guys losing in the end, but then they win, because the protagonist couldn't lie, but totally did anyways. I know the book already has countless flaws, but "is entirely pointless" wasn't one I sincerely saw coming.

That's pretty much a hallmark of the whole series. Something bad happens, people try to stop it, and then Richard pulls some random contrived solution out of his rear end that makes everything that came before largely meaningless. Sometimes "Richard pulls a contrived solution out of his rear end" is literally him just developing a brand new super power out of loving nowhere.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Note that it still takes something like three books for Richard to nail Kahlan. And due to ~the rules of magic~ it doesn't count. I'm not sure that they ever bang again past that. Maybe to harness his RIGHTOUS FURY the Seeker has to be blue-balling.

Also, OK. Richard is immune to Kahlan's power. But that power doesn't go away. So imagine this.

quote:

Loretta the maid walked slowly down the hallway, dusting, straightening hanging paintings that were crooked only to her stern gaze. Master Rahl, the Seeker of Truth, was back from one of his many travels, and she wanted everything to be perfect.

The wedding between him and the Mother Confessor had been magical, and even after all these years, they still doted upon one another like lovesick teenagers. The thought brought a smile to her lips.

As she passed the royal bedroom, she stopped suddenly as she heard thunder with no sound. She felt the impact roll through her. The paintings on the walls rattled. All of the vases and columns around the bedroom, on all sides, had long ago been moved.

Loretta's smile widened. She wished she could find a man that could do that to her.

In other words, every time they bang, her confessor's power is still going to fire.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TheCenturion posted:

I'm not sure that they ever bang again past that.

At least once more, and it's super hosed up.

(In fact, that the previous time "didn't count" is a plot point for the subsequent hosed uppedness.)

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 27, 2014

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Even the shittiest rag of a comic has things that happen earlier affect the ending, even if it's just "and that's why I can go super saiyan!" The entire ending to WFR is completely detached from the rest of the book so much that even the LOVE CONQUERS ALL bullshit doesn't even have any relevance, since Astley and Waifu's relationship is never explored at all beyond some 8th grade fawning near the beginning of the book when he doesn't know what she is.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Plague of Hats posted:

That's pretty much a hallmark of the whole series. Something bad happens, people try to stop it, and then Richard pulls some random contrived solution out of his rear end that makes everything that came before largely meaningless. Sometimes "Richard pulls a contrived solution out of his rear end" is literally him just developing a brand new super power out of loving nowhere.

This feels like an echo of everyone keeping everyone else in the dark throughout the book.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

alarumklok posted:

Even the shittiest rag of a comic has things that happen earlier affect the ending, even if it's just "and that's why I can go super saiyan!" The entire ending to WFR is completely detached from the rest of the book so much that even the LOVE CONQUERS ALL bullshit doesn't even have any relevance, since Astley and Waifu's relationship is never explored at all beyond some 8th grade fawning near the beginning of the book when he doesn't know what she is.

And this is why I reject the author's reality and substitute my own here. (And after reading the first and being mildly appalled didn't pick up a second). There are two obvious callbacks that would have been at least a lampshade for allowing him to beat being forced to tell the truth. The first is as I mentioned actually knowing what Waifu would have wanted. The second is Denna's torture meaning he'd lived through something as bad. Either would have been obvious and worked.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

potatocubed posted:

It's very objectivist: the protagonist really is just better than everyone around him, and if other people tell him he can't do something? Well, that's just because they lack his piercing insight.

There's a part of me that thinks there's a decent fantasy novel to be written where the protagonist is a Randian ubermensch, except the villain is also a Randian ubermensch. The confrontation is, like, 1/3 of the way in and it's finally enough for them to realise what colossal dickbags they've been. The rest of the book is them fighting against the power structures they created, for the benefit of the people they screwed over before.

Actually there's one huge enormous problem with objectivism here, and the later books just blow it wide open: (major spoiler but doesn't happen for like 3-4 more books so if you don't plan to stick around that long, read this) The major plot point of later books, and I mean MAJOR, is based on a bizarre retcon that explains why Rahl's subjects are so unfailingly loyal: the Rahl dynasty has weaved an intricate spell granting powerful protection from mind-controlling magics in return for undying loyalty and all that garbage. It's why the Mord sith are so devoted to ol' Dick and why the soldiers and people basically throw themselves behind whoever the current Rahl is no matter how good/evil/stupid that person is. It's supposed to be used to justify Richard's sudden ascension to God-King while simultaneously removing some of the evil taint of Darken Rahl mindcontrolling all his citizens.

It's used over and over in the coming books to prevent other sources of mind-control and coercion, because anyone who is "sworn to Rahl" and acknowledges him as their god-king is basically immune to whatever the gently caress is happening to them. Even other villains swear themselves to him in order to rules lawyer out of various situations. People can either swear themselves to Rick or be born into it. There are unwilling members of his little pact because it is the society they were born into. But it is always agreed that the common people benefit from it, because it is worth giving up a little bit of their autonomy to share in the greater strength.

Service to Rick is considered to be A Good Thing in the novels. It binds people together, gives them strength, and lets them combat oppressive outsiders trying to take all their stuff. The D'harans are the good guys.

This is literally Social Contract Theory in action.

What the gently caress, Goodkind, are you even paying attention? BAD OBJECTIVIST, BAD

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 27, 2014

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

quote:

You missed the end!

Ah well, I was close! And I guess I missed the part about why Violet didn't feel the pain when using it. Pshh. Cheater way to give him an excuse to give a young girl what she "deserves".

potatocubed posted:

I would read that. At least it would be more interesting and probably not done to death already. Actually, it would be quite the palette cleanser after this lol.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Happy Thanksgiving*! I don't even give a poo poo that this is multiple books away, this is still the absolutely most appropriate section of the series to quote today. I give you the Terry Goodkind Thanksgiving Special**.

quote:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken's head rose.

Kahlan pulled back.

Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway.

"Shoo," Kahlan heard herself whisper.

There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot. But she didn't need to see it.

"Dear spirits, help me," she prayed under her breath.

The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

This was evil manifest.

[...]

Her power, her magic, was also a weapon of defense. But it would only work on people. It would not work on a chicken. And it would not work on wickedness incarnate.

Her gaze flicked toward the door, checking the distance. The chicken took a single hop toward her. Claws gripping Juni's upper arm, it leaned her way. Her leg muscles tightened till they trembled.

The chicken backed up a step, tensed, and spurted feces onto Juni's face.

It let out the cackle that sounded like a laugh.

She dearly wished she could tell herself she was being silly. Imagining things.

But she knew better.

[...]

Kahlan frantically tried to think as the chicken bawk-bawk-bawked.

[...]

"Mother," the chicken croaked.

Kahlan flinched with a cry.

[... Kahlan knocks over a candle by mistake, plunging the barn into darkness]

In the dark, the chicken thing let out a low chicken cackle laugh.

It hadn't come from where she expected the chicken to be. It was behind her.

"Please, I mean no harm," she called into the darkness. "I mean no disrespect. I will leave you to your business now, if that's all right with you."

She took another shuffling step toward the door. She moved carefully, slowly, in case the chicken thing was in the way. She didn't want to bump into it and make it angry. She mustn't underestimate it.

Kahlan had on any number of occasions thrown herself with ferocity against seemingly invincible foes. She knew well the value of a resolute violent attack. But she also somehow knew beyond doubt that this adversary could, if it wanted, kill her as easily as she could wring a real chicken's neck. If she forced a fight, this was one she would lose.

[...]

The chicken thing let out a whispering cackle.

[... she's trying to find the door, she's crying and panicking, she stubs her toe and falls down.]

With the next flash of lightning, she saw chicken feet standing between her and the crack under the door. The thing wasn't more than a foot from her face.

[...]

The beak pinched the vein on the back of her hand over her eyes. The chicken tugged, as if trying to pull a worm from the ground.

It was a command. It wanted her hand away from her eyes.

The beak gave a sharp tug on her skin. There was no mistaking the meaning in that insistent yank. Move the hand, now, it was saying, or you'll be sorry.

If she made it angry, there was no telling what it was capable of doing to her. Juni lay dead above her as a reminder of the possibilities.

She told herself that if it pecked at her eyes, she would have to grab it and try to wring its neck. If she was quick, it could only get in one peck. She would have one eye left. She would have to fight it then. But only if it went for her eyes.

Her instincts screamed that such action would be the most foolish, dangerous thing she could do. Both the Bird Man and Richard said this was not a chicken. She no longer doubted them. But she might have no choice.

If she started, it would be a fight to the death. She held no illusion as to her chances. Nonetheless, she might be forced to fight it. With her last breath, if need be, as her father had taught her.

The chicken snatched a bigger beakful of her skin along with the vein and twisted. Last warning.

Kahlan carefully moved her trembling hand away. The chicken-thing cackled softly with satisfaction.

* American Thanksgiving. All other Thanksgivings are free to read this passage any other drat day they feel like.
** Some of you are going to notice I stole this directly from an old newsletter and to you I say "I'm not digging that book out for one loving joke when that page is right next to me".

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I Love You! posted:

Actually there's one huge enormous problem with objectivism here, and the later books just blow it wide open: (major spoiler but doesn't happen for like 3-4 more books so if you don't plan to stick around that long, read this) The major plot point of later books, and I mean MAJOR, is based on a bizarre retcon that explains why Rahl's subjects are so unfailingly loyal: the Rahl dynasty has weaved an intricate spell granting powerful protection from mind-controlling magics in return for undying loyalty and all that garbage. It's why the Mord sith are so devoted to ol' Dick and why the soldiers and people basically throw themselves behind whoever the current Rahl is no matter how good/evil/stupid that person is. It's supposed to be used to justify Richard's sudden ascension to God-King while simultaneously removing some of the evil taint of Darken Rahl mindcontrolling all his citizens.

It's used over and over in the coming books to prevent other sources of mind-control and coercion, because anyone who is "sworn to Rahl" and acknowledges him as their god-king is basically immune to whatever the gently caress is happening to them. Even other villains swear themselves to him in order to rules lawyer out of various situations. People can either swear themselves to Rick or be born into it. There are unwilling members of his little pact because it is the society they were born into. But it is always agreed that the common people benefit from it, because it is worth giving up a little bit of their autonomy to share in the greater strength.

Service to Rick is considered to be A Good Thing in the novels. It binds people together, gives them strength, and lets them combat oppressive outsiders trying to take all their stuff. The D'harans are the good guys.

This is literally Social Contract Theory in action.

What the gently caress, Goodkind, are you even paying attention? BAD OBJECTIVIST, BAD

Nah, it's actually perfectly good Objectivism. Not everyone is a ubermensch. Most people are weak idiots, and if they would just know their place and dedicate themselves to the ubermensch, society would be just fine. See the (IIRC black) doorman and train engineer characters from AS for examples of untermensch who are happy because they know their place is to serve Dagny and do her bidding.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Nah, it's actually perfectly good Objectivism. Not everyone is a ubermensch. Most people are weak idiots, and if they would just know their place and dedicate themselves to the ubermensch, society would be just fine. See the (IIRC black) doorman and train engineer characters from AS for examples of untermensch who are happy because they know their place is to serve Dagny and do her bidding.

I guess that's true with purely Randian Objectivism, though modern popular objectivism tends to rail against social contract theory as if it is the one true evil.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Any time people say someone should know their place, I always think of this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hhrwl

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I Love You! posted:

I guess that's true with purely Randian Objectivism, though modern popular objectivism tends to rail against social contract theory as if it is the one true evil.

Well it's an idiot "philosophy" that falls apart under its own weight. Two inherent problems cause this shift. One, no adherent believes himself to be anything but the ubermensch. Thus, anything that restricts his behavior is a sin. And two, the "Social Contract" as a popularly understood concept must mean all social contracts of any kind because A=A and nuance does not exist.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, that's not a social contract, though. That's just the help knowing it's place. Both are aristocratic: most libertarians are monarchists; Goodkind's streak of poorly thought out libertarianism just has a streak of noblesse oblige to it.

Like D'Hara's ruler literally has Spell-Like Ability (As Wizard 20): Establish and Maintain Social Contract.

TheSmilingJackal
Apr 30, 2007

Don't worry, it's a very heavy feather.
Objectivism isn't the only thing Goodkind doesn't seem to understand and can't convey. After going over this in my mind I did finally figure out how I missed so much of this reading it the first time.

Goodkind villains aren't socialists.

Oh, they spout socialist propaganda all day, but they don't live the party line. It's like if you had a story where a mob goon shakes down a convenience store for protection money, then claim that your story is a cutting indictment of insurance. Not insurance scams, or corporate corruption in insurance companies, just insurance as a concept. Except the mob goon doesn't have anything to do with insurance and nobody in the situation thinks he does.

It would be one thing if Goodkind's point was that these governments inevitably lead to corruption or something, but it's not. It's just Goodkind being an idiot.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

To shallow readers Goodkind's work is good at slowly hand holding them into making self congratulatory discoveries about how superior they feel to other people.

Outside of the philosophy there's just so much that's loving bad about the series that makes me feel like an idiot for reading and sort of enjoying these books as a teenager.

There's almost fragments of potential (mostly Zedd) which fortunately came out great in the TV show.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In fairness, I suspect Goodkind would say that no socialist toes the party line of socialism, that it is all a sham to control people something something.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
To my horror, I apparently have five of the books in the series. I also have the entire Deathstalker book series. I may have had bad taste in books during high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hope you enjoyed Zedd and Richard interacting, because it never happens again because it's established that Zedd could unlock all of Richard's powers in like an afternoon so the narrative requires they be hundreds of miles apart at all times