Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I hardly ever use keys when I play with a sensible loot table. It completely removes the need for it since you find decent loot while you play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what are the good points of Claptrap? He looks pretty bad. It doesn't help that some of his VaultHunter.ExE action packages are borderline suicidal either.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RatHat posted:

So what are the good points of Claptrap?
You get to play as Everybody's Favorite Character™ Claptrap.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

RatHat posted:

So what are the good points of Claptrap? He looks pretty bad. It doesn't help that some of his VaultHunter.ExE action packages are borderline suicidal either.

Playing in a group with a claptrap is reeally funny. Can't really comment on actually playing him but it's pretty hilarious to have one in your party.

A lot of his stuff is kinda iffy solo though.

BillyBlanks
Oct 5, 2000
So now that it's been out for a while, what is the overall opinion of the quality of the pre-sequel?

I bought it thinking oh boy, more Borderlands, how could I go wrong?

In reality, I thought it was really bad. All the guns feel like garbage, I could never seem to find a gun that just shoots where you'd expect it to when hip firing. Reloading was always too long. Melee animation felt super weak and lame. Skill trees were bad. Overall character choices were uninteresting and characters had no personality except for Claptrap, and I don't want to play as a 3 foot tall robot.

Am I just being too hard on it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BillyBlanks posted:

So now that it's been out for a while, what is the overall opinion of the quality of the pre-sequel?

I bought it thinking oh boy, more Borderlands, how could I go wrong?

In reality, I thought it was really bad. All the guns feel like garbage, I could never seem to find a gun that just shoots where you'd expect it to when hip firing. Reloading was always too long. Melee animation felt super weak and lame. Skill trees were bad. Overall character choices were uninteresting and characters had no personality except for Claptrap, and I don't want to play as a 3 foot tall robot.

Am I just being too hard on it?

The gunplay and most mechanics (aside from the new stuff of course) are pretty much the exact same as they were in BL2.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Guns are basically the same as in BL2, skill trees are mostly better, level design sucks, not nearly enough enemies and a really weak story. It's a good game but there are some major setbacks although most of the additions are great such as the slams and grinder. Most of the problems stem from being made for 8 or so year old hardware so I'm pretty hopeful for the inevitable current gen iteration of the series since they seem to be learning from their mistakes.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

RatHat posted:

The explosion tree is pretty strong.

The middle tree makes you super tanky and good with a team.

The left tree is more random and dependent on luck.

Claptrap and Wilhelm don't get as much love because they aren't as broken as the other 2 vault hunters.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dyz posted:

The explosion tree is pretty strong.

The middle tree makes you super tanky and good with a team.

The left tree is more random and dependent on luck.

Claptrap and Wilhelm don't get as much love because they aren't as broken as the other 2 vault hunters.

Yeah, they definitely don't seem to be broken like the other two, but they're both competent classes to play as through TVHM. I never got tired of Wilhelm's pneumatic robot-arm punch, either.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pre-Sequel is 33% off on GMG right now. Think it'll go lower in the Steam sale? It's only 20% at the moment.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

RatHat posted:

Pre-Sequel is 33% off on GMG right now. Think it'll go lower in the Steam sale? It's only 20% at the moment.

It's $30 on Amazon right now, which is half off.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, they definitely don't seem to be broken like the other two, but they're both competent classes to play as through TVHM. I never got tired of Wilhelm's pneumatic robot-arm punch, either.

He's not broken in that there's not a good skill set that makes you annihilate through everything, but using his middle tree and a little from the left tree and the health/Shield skill from the right tree you can make him nearly unkillable.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Think there is any chance that the Season Pass will go on sale during this Steam sale?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Possibly, but I'd wait for the Winter Sale. I'm also amused that the sale for the PC version at Amazon is for the physical copy and not the downloadable one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Doodles posted:

Possibly, but I'd wait for the Winter Sale. I'm also amused that the sale for the PC version at Amazon is for the physical copy and not the downloadable one.

Aww, it is? That's a shame.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I just got tps. Is there a cheat engine compile handy that is easy to change the drop rates up a notch? 1% legendary 10% purp etc etc. Or would the one from bl2 work?

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 28, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

snergle posted:

I just got tps. Is there a cheat engine compile handy that is easy to change the drop rates up a notch? 1% legendary 10% purp etc etc. Or would the one from bl2 work?

AirRaid posted:

OK so I futzed with the Loot table that AHungryRobot Linked and decided it was too complicated and annoying, so I took the salient points from that one and threw them into the old loot table file for BL2.

Result: TPS Loot table file with a lot easier access and the "Sensible" preset I made for BL2 alreaady loaded. :siren:Grab it here.:siren: This also has the dumb CE 6.2 check removed so you can use the newer versions with no hassle.

Credit to whoever made the original, I forget.

You can just run that file direct, once TPS is loaded. Click the Item/Rarity checkbox then the presets one and choose a preset, or modify the numbers manually. I'm not sure if the "Drops" section at the bottom works any more, might be broken.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is there no PC thread for this? Anyway I just wanted to commented on how it was weird how toggling depth of field changes the whole color temperature of the game

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
This is the PC thread.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, there's not much point in having separate threads since for the previous game the console thread lost traction and died off pretty quickly.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, there's not much point in having separate threads since for the previous game the console thread lost traction and died off pretty quickly.

Yeah, it heard Scooter's poem and killed itself.

On a more interesting note, I have found a fun new glitch (at least on PS3). All my guns, no matter the make or type, shoot and use up lots of bullets every trigger pull. Only things that aren't affected seem to be the Jakobs revolvers, shotguns, and ARs. A full magazine in my Torgue shotgun (which consumes for bullets per shot) is expended every time I shoot, it's multiplying the number of bullets spent by 3 or 4. I have a Hyperion sniper rifle that spits out 8 rounds per trigger pull.

It's a neat glitch, but godDAMN do I run out of ammo fast. Closing and restarting the game, and cold booting the PS3 don't help.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are you playing as Clappy? One of his action packages does that. Maybe it bugged out and made the effect permanent.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Ah, good to see the game still has bugs from BL2, namely I entered a shitload of Shift codes (for like 62 keys) and it says I have ten, and I had 40+ moonstones and now I have 10. Great work. There's a shift code vending machine or something? So I go to that and it says I'm not signed into shift, which when I go to the main menu, it shows I am. And you have to sign in for software support/FAQs? https://twitter.com/gearboxsoftware/status/522105709601640448

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Relin posted:

Ah, good to see the game still has bugs from BL2, namely I entered a shitload of Shift codes (for like 62 keys) and it says I have ten, and I had 40+ moonstones and now I have 10. Great work. There's a shift code vending machine or something? So I go to that and it says I'm not signed into shift, which when I go to the main menu, it shows I am. And you have to sign in for software support/FAQs? https://twitter.com/gearboxsoftware/status/522105709601640448

Does it actually say you only have 10 golden keys? Or can you only see 10 keys in the shift machine (when you go to redeem them on a specific character)? Because when you scroll through the key icons on the shift machine, it only seems to display about ten or so, regardless of how many you actually have. I actually don't even know why they gave you the ability to scroll through your keys before redeeming them, as if you would want to select a very specific key from an inventory of identical keys.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Thanks these style of games work better with a more sensible drop rate.

Relin posted:

I had the same thing happen luckily it was only like 30 keys for me. You only technically need one anyways.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Telltale Borderlands game is quite good and I'm so far enjoying it way more then I did the pre-sequel I really expected it to be quite awful but it shows you can do entertaining writing in the Borderlands universe.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

socialsecurity posted:

The Telltale Borderlands game is quite good and I'm so far enjoying it way more then I did the pre-sequel I really expected it to be quite awful but it shows you can do entertaining writing in the Borderlands universe.

It's also a giant love letter to the series; it even has a reference to Tannis Riding Her Fish of all things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mycot posted:

It's also a giant love letter to the series; it even has a reference to Tannis Riding Her Fish of all things.

Alright I probably maybe should play this sometime then.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Tannis riding a fish in the first game is one of the best Easter eggs I've seen.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

RatHat posted:

Are you playing as Clappy? One of his action packages does that. Maybe it bugged out and made the effect permanent.

No, I was using the Doppelgänger. It turns out Taxation of Trade Routes is broken (the one that increases fire rate based on number of bullets in magazine) because I spec'd out of it and everything's peachy.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My claptrap went from "meh" to "holy crap" in a hurry last night thanks to the left skill tree. I've got a class mod that gives +2 to KillBot and +3 to Start With A Bang, plus a pretty good flame-spike shield. Combined with my Luneshine freeze pistol and corrosive Oz kit, I'm a merry, wheeling, bouncing cyclone of elemental damage by barely firing any shots. It's gonna be great when I get Hyperion Punch to complement Coincidental Combustion.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I actually don't even know why they gave you the ability to scroll through your keys before redeeming them, as if you would want to select a very specific key from an inventory of identical keys.
I think it's tied into the system they've come up with to make it so that you can redeem things other than keys but wait until you have a character at max level before actually getting the item out, like the pumpkin cannon. It's a step in the right direction, as it keeps people from accidentally redeeming things at too low a level, but it needs another iteration that just treats keys as a quantity instead of individual objects.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

skaboomizzy posted:

My claptrap went from "meh" to "holy crap" in a hurry last night thanks to the left skill tree. I've got a class mod that gives +2 to KillBot and +3 to Start With A Bang, plus a pretty good flame-spike shield. Combined with my Luneshine freeze pistol and corrosive Oz kit, I'm a merry, wheeling, bouncing cyclone of elemental damage by barely firing any shots. It's gonna be great when I get Hyperion Punch to complement Coincidental Combustion.

While I still consider him 'hard mode', Boomtrap Claptrap becomes hilariously fun around the end of Playthrough 1. I have Start Start With A Bang buffed up to 8 and timing it with a but slam crushes everything. The One Last Thing skill is a carry over from my favorite Salvador skill, Money Shot. It's fun to play Claptrap very agressivley trying to stay close to the bad guys so they get hit with all of your novas. I end up dying pretty often but half the time it's in the middle of a nova so I instantly bounce right out of FFYL.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Anyone have a link to download Cheat Engine? Not sure where I can get one and not a bunch of malware as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The cheat engine website, despite appearances, is 100% legit. It's probably the only case on the entire internet where the big green download button with misaligned bold font is the one you want to click.

edit: The installer might have those dumb "click YES to download this AMAAAZING TOOLBAR" click spammer traps though, I remember an older version did, so be sure to read through all the screens after the TOS one.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CJacobs posted:

The cheat engine website, despite appearances, is 100% legit. It's probably the only case on the entire internet where the big green download button with misaligned bold font is the one you want to click.

edit: The installer might have those dumb "click YES to download this AMAAAZING TOOLBAR" click spammer traps though, I remember an older version did, so be sure to read through all the screens after the TOS one.

I definitely remember it having one of those stupid adware things in the installer. Make sure you read through it super carefully.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

Yeah it does have the dumb toolbar thing, but aside from that it's legit. I've heard it's sometimes blocked by anti-viruses though.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can also download a toolbar-less archive that comes without an installer (IIRC, but that was never a problem for me) from the same download page.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Does anyone else feel like SMGs are completely worthless in this game? I can find or grind an elemental pistol or laser pretty easily and the SMGs seem to have terrible core damage stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
It's just you.

• Locked thread