Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can D&D make it mandatory to put all the meds you're on or should be on in your sig, might clear up some common misconceptions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
D&D seems like the kind of place where you'd find someone that would argue the state of Israel's actions since it's inception retroactively justifies the Holocaust

I also imagine they have a creed they recite every day before firing up their internet of "I AM A SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR. THE INTERNET IS MY BATTLEFIELD. MY KEYBOARD IS MY KATANA. MY FEDORA SIGNIFIES MY PLACE IN THIS WARRIOR CLASS" before donning their scarf and smashing the proletariat

I meant to type bourgeois but the wires got crossed and well they're retards that are doing more damage to the people they think they're helping so it checks out

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 27, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

maffew buildings posted:

D&D seems like the kind of place where you'd find someone that would argue the state of Israel's actions since it's inception retroactively justifies the Holocaust

I also imagine they have a creed they recite every day before firing up their internet of "I AM A SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR. THE INTERNET IS MY BATTLEFIELD. MY KEYBOARD IS MY KATANA. MY FEDORA SIGNIFIES MY PLACE IN THIS WARRIOR CLASS" before donning their scarf and smashing the proletariat

I meant to type bourgeois but the wires got crossed and well they're retards that are doing more damage to the people they think they're helping so it checks out

gently caress you guy scarves are pretty loving sweet

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

maffew buildings posted:

If people could actually do damage by posting in d&d really hard it would be like a million holocausts by now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

havent been in tfr in over half a year and its like such a tremendous weight was lifted from my shoulders

I miss u in the video games thread :h:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

If you missed the beetle threads you missed out, the guy has better finds than sixgun.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
Not to be late to the IT party but I actually work IT for a Midwestern state level police agency so if you have questions about camera storage implementation then fire away.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

priznat posted:

I miss u in the video games thread :h:

babe you were one of the good ones and i miss you sometimes

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Maarek posted:

It's just weird how thatis forum country full of totally unqualified people discuss events.

This is pretty much America.txt, really.

It was painful watching people post comments on Captain Sully's Facebook page, for example, when he talked about the "safety benefits" of upping commercial airline pilot flight time minimums to a hard floor of 1500 hours because of a 2009 crash in Buffalo. "AW, THANKS SULLY, THOSE DUMBASS ROOKIE PILOTS THAT BACK PLANES INTO THE GROUND FOR SOMETHIN' TO DO* SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO FLY EVER!!!" and "YOU SURE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT, I DON'T LIKE FLYING SO THIS IS A GOOD THING" made my blood boil from people who clearly had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about, while the few that DID have some knowledge and disagreed were looked at like they were some sort of monster.

*- The last human-error related commercial airline crash with at least one pilot with less than 1,500 hours flight time at the controls was in 1989. The only one involving an airliner since was in 2004, and that happened on a ferry flight where the two pilots dicked around trying to reach the service ceiling of the plane and compressor stalled both engines. The crash in Buffalo involved pilots who had 3300 and 2500 hours respectively. :eng101:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 27, 2014

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is pretty much America.txt, really.

It was painful watching people post comments on Captain Sully's Facebook page, for example, when he talked about the "safety benefits" of upping commercial airline pilot flight time minimums to a hard floor of 1500 hours because of a 2009 crash in Buffalo. "AW, THANKS SULLY, THOSE DUMBASS ROOKIE PILOTS THAT BACK PLANES INTO THE GROUND FOR SOMETHIN' TO DO* SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED TO FLY EVER!!!" and "YOU SURE KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT, I DON'T LIKE FLYING SO THIS IS A GOOD THING" made my blood boil from people who clearly had no idea what the gently caress they were talking about, while the few that DID have some knowledge and disagreed were looked at like they were some sort of monster.

*- The last human-error related commercial airline crash with at least one pilot with less than 1,500 hours flight time at the controls was in 1989. The only one involving an airliner since was in 2004, and that happened on a ferry flight where the two pilots dicked around trying to reach the service ceiling of the plane and compressor stalled both engines. The crash in Buffalo involved pilots who had 3300 and 2500 hours respectively. :eng101:

Wasn't he also testifying in front of congress about how lovely pilots are paid and treated for their first few years (esp. as regional pilots) and demanding better regulations and oversight?

I mean, that seemed a reasonable thing to be asking for. I won't pretend to have knowledge about the 1500 hours thing, but pretty sure the two pilots in that Buffalo crash were talking about how much they were getting dicked over by their company a few minutes before the crash and he seemed pretty sympathetic to that.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Don't professional airline pilots on domestic routes make loving garbage in the first place. Like literally less than a bus driver in a major city?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bolow posted:

Don't professional airline pilots on domestic routes make loving garbage in the first place. Like literally less than a bus driver in a major city?

Only on regionals. My brother's flight-school roommate makes good money flying for Southwest

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

from what i remember the average salary for regional pilots is like $30k

domestic airline jobs in comparison are apparently pretty awesome

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Some regional pilots start at $18,000/year. I think there are a couple airlines which start at even less.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Wasn't he also testifying in front of congress about how lovely pilots are paid and treated for their first few years (esp. as regional pilots) and demanding better regulations and oversight?

I mean, that seemed a reasonable thing to be asking for. I won't pretend to have knowledge about the 1500 hours thing, but pretty sure the two pilots in that Buffalo crash were talking about how much they were getting dicked over by their company a few minutes before the crash and he seemed pretty sympathetic to that.

The new regs passed to help prevent pilots from being run ragged (Part 117), which was one of the things he was there for, were worthwhile. That's a separate law and I have no argument there.

Some argue that saying having 1,500 hours, the time required for the Airline Transport Pilot rating (you used to be able to fly on the Commercial license to start), automatically makes you a good pilot is bullshit. Chuck Schumer pushed the law through to avenge those who were killed (in his state) on the premise of safety even though the pilots he was trying to prevent from "causing accidents" weren't involved. The government later offered hiring credits of 250-500 hours for attending certain schools and doing flight training with them, which was the government's way of telling the schools with big flight programs and lobbyists able to say "gently caress that poo poo" to go "Here, take this and go shut up about this being crap."

e- The pay has been awful in recent years and most regional pilot groups in recent years have tried to take a stand by voting down concessionary contracts. Unfortunately, they've paid with having their flying cut. Envoy (American Eagle, wholly owned by American) is being parted out as a result.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 27, 2014

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Aren't pilots drunk most of the time? Sounds pretty fun. Fly a plane tag strange.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of glad I didn't go through with trying to become a pilot. I can't use my GI Bill because I can't get a passing flight medical because of PTSD, loving dicks. But anyway it sucks dog poo poo trying to become a pilot, let alone your first real job in a lovely regional. You get your license, then you work your way up through instrument rating, commercial, CFI (certified flight instructor), etc. Then you're barely making ends meet by teaching people how to fly just like you were only a little bit ago. Then hope you're loving lucky to get enough hours under your belt to even quality for an ATP and get a lovely job at a regional. Pilots literally get payed peanuts until they're at a major carrier and at least a senior Captain. I love planes and I really wanted to fly, but gently caress all that noise I'll just play flight sims and sit on my rear end raking in VA welfare money.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

CBJSprague24 posted:

Some regional pilots start at $18,000/year. I think there are a couple airlines which start at even less.

Christ, that's actually less than you get working full time minimum wage at loving McShits in British Columbia.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

how many hours are they flying for such a pissant amount of money?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Don't forget the benefit of not having to deal with people 99% of the time. And if that 1% is too much you can just Todd Beamer everyone around you.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Actually, they do have to deal with people. I've had friends tell me how people look to them as tour guides knowing where everything is in the airport because they're in a uniform, as opposed to looking at the signs airports spend lots of money on which tell you where most of what you need can be found.

Some pilots like cargo flying more because "Boxes Don't Bitch".

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

how many hours are they flying for such a pissant amount of money?

75 hours/month. They're only paid once the cabin door to the airplane is closed in all the cases I know of, so everything else (layovers during flights, commuting) doesn't count.

Mike-o posted:

I'm kind of glad I didn't go through with trying to become a pilot. I can't use my GI Bill because I can't get a passing flight medical because of PTSD, loving dicks. But anyway it sucks dog poo poo trying to become a pilot, let alone your first real job in a lovely regional. You get your license, then you work your way up through instrument rating, commercial, CFI (certified flight instructor), etc. Then you're barely making ends meet by teaching people how to fly just like you were only a little bit ago. Then hope you're loving lucky to get enough hours under your belt to even quality for an ATP and get a lovely job at a regional. Pilots literally get payed peanuts until they're at a major carrier and at least a senior Captain. I love planes and I really wanted to fly, but gently caress all that noise I'll just play flight sims and sit on my rear end raking in VA welfare money.

I'm Instrument-rated and was building time toward Commercial when reality hit me. When I told my former instructor, I was surprised when she said "I don't blame you". Another alum was doing corporate flying for a company in town and was worked to the point that they owned him and he was always on-call. He finally had to ask his boss for health insurance.

I mentioned the time credits- I have a Master's from one of the bigger of the approved schools but, because I didn't do Instrument AND Commercial with them under Part 141, I couldn't get hired until I got to 1,500, which meant I'd be instructing for a few years or looking for a banner towing (was told by a pilot to not even think of doing that), aerial photography, pipeline survey, or other flying job making pitiful wages just to get to the regionals to make pitiful wages.

I'm now pursuing aviation-related jobs on the ground which pay better and plan to squirrel away money to get my flying fix every now and then in a 172. Given the BS regional pilots have to deal with, I'm fine with the new plan.

One of the things that pissed me off about "The 1500 Hour Rule" is the fact pilots who have completed their ratings and are getting started in the industry can't get their feet in the door to build seniority to get from the poo poo pay to slightly better pay faster. If the government wanted to flex their muscles and look like they were doing something, they could've made it 1,000 hours, with a 250 hour credit for an Associate's and 500 off for a Bachelor's from approved schools.

Regionals are having trouble filling their indoc/training classes today. I wonder why.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 27, 2014

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

How much strange did you tag and how drunk were you on average during flights

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
J.J. Abrams for new SecDef.

http://i.imgur.com/q1u72tK.gif

Check out his solid plan for the Middle East:

http://i.imgur.com/H8s9aMF.gif

:flashfap:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Lucas will still find a way to gently caress it up.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Lucas has no involvement. Abrams on the other hand might.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Lucas has no involvement.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah yeah, I still can't loving wait to see it.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
My gigantic loving Star Wars nerd inner child wants to be excited but I've beat him senseless over the years for being a nerd so he mostly just whimpers in the corner of my brain nowadays.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
At least we'll get another RLM review.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lightsabers: now 3x as dangerous to the wielder!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

priznat posted:

Lightsabers: now 3x as dangerous to the wielder!

Unless they are using the force duh

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Derek Dominoe posted:

J.J. Abrams for new SecDef.

http://i.imgur.com/q1u72tK.gif

Check out his solid plan for the Middle East:

http://i.imgur.com/H8s9aMF.gif

:flashfap:

I wanted to hate this and everyone who got hyped by it, but gently caress me if I didn't feel the goosebumps at seeing the X-wings fly in formation.

gently caress you corporate owners of my childhood imagination, you got me again. :negative:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

That looks infinitely better than the prequels. All three. Combined.

maffew buildings posted:

How much strange did you tag and how drunk were you on average during flights

Aviation is a sausage fest, though there was one good looking girl I only saw at the school once whose number I was unable to acquire. And stone cold sober.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Unless they are using the force duh

Pretty much all that would keep me from becoming a limbless torso within 5 minutes. :haw:

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

CBJSprague24 posted:

That looks infinitely better than the prequels. All three. Combined.

Which part of the next Star Wars movie is your favorite?

How old are you?

Why are you fags talking about bad movies in the current events thread.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Victor Vermis posted:

Which part of the next Star Wars movie is your favorite?

How old are you?

Why are you fags talking about bad movies in the current events thread.

Dumb question.

Old enough to remember watching the original movies taped on my parents' Betamax. At least a couple of the originals were filmed in my lifetime.

Because the inner kid in me is more excited about the pretend space planes that got shown today than whatever idiocy the barbarians in the Middle East continue to do.

Admitting you like the old Star Wars movies doesn't make you a forum brony or anime fag level nerd. It's totally normal for my generation. Most of us weren't really into sci-fi per se...they were just the coolest movies of our childhood. Now, if you mention the word 'canon' or some minutiae from a book...no excuses.

Tl;dr: just enjoy it, today. Go back to nuclear fire tomorrow.

Edit: better yet.

Sax Offender fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Derek Dominoe posted:

Dumb question.

Old enough to remember watching the original movies taped on my parents' Betamax. At least a couple of the originals were filmed in my lifetime.

Because the inner kid in me is more excited about the pretend space planes that got shown today than whatever idiocy the barbarians in the Middle East continue to do.

Admitting you like the old Star Wars movies doesn't make you a forum brony or anime fag level nerd. It's totally normal for my generation. Most of us weren't really into sci-fi per se...they were just the coolest movies of our childhood. Now, if you mention the word 'canon' or some minutiae from a book...no excuses.

Tl;dr: just enjoy it, today. Go back to nuclear fire tomorrow.

Which part of the next star wars movie is your favorite?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Victor Vermis posted:

Which part of the next star wars movie is your favorite?

What does this question even mean?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd rather be talking about this than a bunch of idiots putting the torch to their community because that will defeat racism somehow.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The internet makes you stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

What does this question even mean?

The prequels had some good trailers, too. All the lightsaber battles and call-backs to ships/worlds from the original trilogy couldn't save them from being poo poo.

I just don't want to see all your little hearts break. :smith:

• Locked thread