Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Read the manga, and also watch the anime every week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

Izumi Konata posted:

Might be random as gently caress, but i hate watching anime before the run is finished. Seven episodes in, and I am not satisfied with having to wait.

is it worth it to wait and watch this plot evolve every week, or would reading the manga be satisfactory?

Please do both. As soon as I knew this was going to be an anime I read the series and I'm glad I did. It makes every episode so exciting because all I can think is "Yee! This thing is happening next week!"

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Izumi Konata posted:

Might be random as gently caress, but i hate watching anime before the run is finished. Seven episodes in, and I am not satisfied with having to wait.

is it worth it to wait and watch this plot evolve every week, or would reading the manga be satisfactory?

Try really hard to stop caring about this until you are able to forget and come back in a few months when it's finished. That's what I do.

It's hard sometimes. :(

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

apparently there are two episodes today

wow!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Good two episodes today, though the ending of the second episode is pure, :cripes:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
2 episodes in one week, what a treat! I really enjoyed the episodes this week, next week should be especially exciting.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

Good two episodes today, though the ending of the second episode is pure, :cripes:

Yeah, seriously. I didn't really like the second episode much because the girl was just acting so unbelievably dumb (people acting incredibly irrational to move the plot forward is always bad writing), there was literally no reason not to tell her brother let alone think it was a good idea to confront someone alone about if they are a man eating alien.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Every week I hate the opening song more.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Boy, these episodes were about as subtle as a brick to the face.

Still pretty good, but it seems like there ain't a ton of room for nuance in this story.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So is that how you get rid of puppys now?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

~ Someone with bad taste

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"Hey, that girl is actually smart, she made the connection between her weird rear end classmate and the case her brother is working on, now she is going to tell him about everything she has seen and the police are going to solve the whole problem"
"Any second now"
"GOD loving DAMNIT"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did... did Migi just hit on Shinichi?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

Did... did Migi just hit on Shinichi?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AnonSpore posted:

Every week I like it more. It's me, I am am the enjoyment vampire.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I honestly can't blame Shinichi for yelling at Murano after she asked him if he's REALLY Shinichi for like the 30th time.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean he was being really weird and goony out of nowhere and kind of acting like Migi, I can see why that would disturb her.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Why doesn't he tell her his mom is dead? Boom instant excasue of why he's so spacy and weird about death now.

Did they add the scene of humans being the real parasites?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Why doesn't he tell her his mom is dead? Boom instant excasue of why he's so spacy and weird about death now.

This is literally exactly what I was thinking the entire time during these two episodes.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

This show is great. Finally past the stuff I read so it's all new.

Mark me down as someone who likes the opening song more and more each week. The part at the 60 sec mark is awesome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZVr-Zu9vPM&t=59s

Earlier in the thread someone (sorry I don't remember your name) was complaining about how they don't show Shinichi's pre-migi self, and that we are made to assume he's just a normal guy and assume what a normal guy would do in those situations. It's like now he's changed even further and we're watching what the new Shinichi would do in those situations. Kind of ironic when you think about it. It's like the parts he was complaining about were actually the parts he wanted, because now we are seeing a whole new Shinichi.

Lastly in regards to the end of the last episode: That girl has to have a plan with that bottle. She can't be that dumb.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i post this not for the typo, but the innuendo

Also i do not like the girl who's only purpose in the narrative is to go "but are you really shinichi?!?!?".

i feel if she suddenly became interesting i'd be like, "are you really boring girl?" because that would be as drastic of a change as shinichi's.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

itskage posted:

Lastly in regards to the end of the last episode: That girl has to have a plan with that bottle. She can't be that dumb.

My best guess is acid. People keep bottles of acid in their toolboxes, right?

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
More likely turpentine or methylated spirits.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The_White_Crane posted:

My best guess is acid. People keep bottles of acid in their toolboxes, right?

Gabby_Jay posted:

More likely turpentine or methylated spirits.

Pretty close. Pic of bottle:

which appears to be some sort of ethylene glycol, presumably a paint solvent.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Maybe my expectations are low, but it never bothered me that Sanae confronts Hideo instead of getting the police. Is it particularly unusual or bad that a character has emotions and acts on them rather than hyperrationally resolving the plot in mundane ways?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Maybe my expectations are low, but it never bothered me that Sanae confronts Hideo instead of getting the police. Is it particularly unusual or bad that a character has emotions and acts on them rather than hyperrationally resolving the plot in mundane ways?

idk, i see a dude morph his face and have his head cave in without any ill-effects and confronting him isn't typically the first thing that comes to mind.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Emalde posted:

idk, i see a dude morph his face and have his head cave in without any ill-effects and confronting him isn't typically the first thing that comes to mind.
This. More specifically, I'd trust some police officers with an army behind them to confront him better than I could.

I feel like those are pretty obvious signs for, "This is out of my league," even to a teenager.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

dogsicle posted:

Not confronting a possible man-eating monster is not "hyperrational".

Speaking of characters not being hyperrational, why didn't rear end in a top hat-kun change his face when he was changing his clothes in the public toilet?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Rexides posted:

Speaking of characters not being hyperrational, why didn't rear end in a top hat-kun change his face when he was changing his clothes in the public toilet?
He could probably avoid being hit by the ball too, they have reflexes for that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rexides posted:

Not confronting a possible man-eating monster is not "hyperrational".

Yeah, but she is a teenager with a crush, I mean she draws sketches of him in her spare time. She doesn't want to believe that her ~*~Lovely Hide~*~ could be an evil monster. I'm surprised she even took that bottle of thiner or acid or whatever it is for self defense.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, if she's wrong and was hallucinating or something, she's just handed an innocent teenager over to the Men in Black for dissection. That's kind of a big deal.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That would usually work as an excuse, except somebody who she clearly trusts knows that the monsters exist. She could at the very least ask her brother for backup.

blankd
Mar 26, 2010
I'd let it slide because all she's seen is Hide get hit (and react nonchalantly) and transform faces. I think she's allowed to be irrational since she doesn't know if he's one of the ~monsters~ that eats people or not, after all she probably justifies it to herself that she's seen him at the school not eating people, so he cant be ~that bad~. :v:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, if she's wrong and was hallucinating or something, she's just handed an innocent teenager over to the Men in Black for dissection. That's kind of a big deal.
Yes, because they're gonna start dissecting someone before confirming they're a monster. I bet the police are gonna drive by, jump him while he's on the street, throw him in the back of the van, and and while it drives off a crazy guy in a lab coat is gonna start dissecting him with a chainsaw.

... I mean this is cartoon anime land so that's probably exactly how it'll go down, but real world, yeah you tell the police about this possible man eating monster because they're gonna confront it just like you are. They're also not just going to assume it's a menace to society and gun it down. The difference is that those people are actually trained to handle scenarios like this (although obviously not the whole person's a monster alien thing) and have something they can actually do when things go south.

I don't understand how people think that going to the proper authorities when something is really off automatically equates to those proper authorities doing the exact wrong thing that goes against any training or procedure they have.

I guess my point is, if she's wrong and was hallucinating or something, she just handed an innocent teenager over to a very awkward conversation with the police/army. Oh no.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 27, 2014

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Well really, my complaint is with the idea that this (or any) story needs to have rational characters or plot development. Yuko/Sanae confronting Hideo makes sense, especially with how obvious the anime makes her crush, her personal doubts, and the relative lack of info on Parasites. Even being incredulous, she prepares herself with a weapon. She's got her bases as covered as any human could, so I don't get the complaints. For those who want police action, how likely is it that some bullets are any more lethal than a girl with toxic art supplies?

Whether she confronts him directly or not the outcome should be the same (give or take one death). I think it's nice that they at least give a tertiary character an arc where she can be competent and influential to the story.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 27, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Yes, because they're gonna start dissecting someone before confirming they're a monster. I bet the police are gonna drive by, jump him while he's on the street, throw him in the back of the van, and and while it drives off a crazy guy in a lab coat is gonna start dissecting him with a chainsaw.

... I mean this is cartoon anime land so that's probably exactly how it'll go down, but real world, yeah you tell the police about this possible man eating monster because they're gonna confront it just like you are. They're also not just going to assume it's a menace to society and gun it down. The difference is that those people are actually trained to handle scenarios like this (although obviously not the whole person's a monster alien thing) and have something they can actually do when things go south.

I don't understand how people think that going to the proper authorities when something is really off automatically equates to those proper authorities doing the exact wrong thing that goes against any training or procedure they have.

I guess my point is, if she's wrong and was hallucinating or something, she just handed an innocent teenager over to a very awkward conversation with the police/army. Oh no.

The govermnent has just realised they're up against highly intelligent shape-shifting maneaters, and that any one of them that goes uncaught could easily rack up hundreds of casualties in minutes. This is a Pretty Huge Deal. Do you really think they'd stop at "Hey, have you murdered anyone with your face-blades?" "No." "Do you even have face-blades?" "No." "Cool, just checking, sorry for the inconvenience. Have a nice day!"? They would surely be aware that there's no way to prove a sufficiently determined parasite's identity without getting hella invasive, and it's reasonable to be hesitant about wanting to subject a fellow student to that.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 28, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pretty much no parasyte, not even that teacher, would stand a chance of passing for human under interrogation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Well really, my complaint is with the idea that this (or any) story needs to have rational characters or plot development. Yuko/Sanae confronting Hideo makes sense, especially with how obvious the anime makes her crush, her personal doubts, and the relative lack of info on Parasites. Even being incredulous, she prepares herself with a weapon. She's got her bases as covered as any human could, so I don't get the complaints. For those who want police action, how likely is it that some bullets are any more lethal than a girl with toxic art supplies?

We've already seen a parasite take a lethal blow from a table leg. They can be killed with the same things as humans; they are, after all, still human from the neck down.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dogsicle posted:

Whether she confronts him directly or not the outcome should be the same (give or take one death). I think it's nice that they at least give a tertiary character an arc where she can be competent and influential to the story.

The show did an excellent job at building the suspense despite showing a fairly reasonable chain of events. A lot of these complaints boil down to "I'm too impatient to wait for episode 10".

That said, I think it's less bullets vs solvent and more "presented knowledge to the audience about an organized investigation of officials who acknowledge the existence of the problem, but then ignored all of it in favor of high schooler thinking they can fix everything by themselves."

Sure it was infuriatingly :ughh: while watching, but this is anime and it only takes a few details in the next episode to explain it all away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Pretty much no parasyte, not even that teacher, would stand a chance of passing for human under interrogation.

Well, the person who was making this decision was still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt after seeing him pop his head back into shape like a dented water bottle, soo...

From the government's perspective, as well, they don't know that, and it's reasonable to assume the worst-case scenario (that some parasites are superb actors) because if you're wrong, you've just let one of the worst serial killers in Japanese history (and/or an existential threat to humanity) walk out the door.

• Locked thread