Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Indigofreak posted:

You guys can continue to believe that Brown didn't rob the convenience store. I'll be over here listening to what his friend said.
"The friend who was with Michael Brown when he was shot and killed by a police officer near St. Louis over the weekend is reportedly confirming that he and Brown had taken part in the theft of cigars from a convenience store that day.

That word comes from the attorney for Dorian Johnson, speaking to MSNBC."

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/15/attorney-dorian-johnson-michael-brown-robbery/14118769/

There are some disturbed people in this thread who are going around the world to sanctify Michael Brown because this has become some personal issue for them to rally around. In reality it is a murky situation with no winners latched onto by people who want to feel important and march around instead of working on improving the system they spend so much time online decrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Foma posted:

There are some disturbed people in this thread who are going around the world to sanctify Michael Brown because this has become some personal issue for them to rally around. In reality it is a murky situation with no winners latched onto by people who want to feel important and march around instead of working on improving the system they spend so much time online decrying.

No clear winner, but some definitive losers. Like the dead person.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Indigofreak posted:

You guys can continue to believe that Brown didn't rob the convenience store. I'll be over here listening to what his friend said.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/08/15/attorney-dorian-johnson-michael-brown-robbery/14118769/

There are some major problems with Johnson's version of events.

Vaall posted:

I guess the convenience store camera is biased towards black people.

Not really - the camera shows him paying for the cigarillos, so...

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Miltank posted:

It seems way more likely that Brown robbed the place than some sort of weird confrontation where a store owner refuses to Brown the display box of cigarillos and then physically attacks brown to prevent him from leaving.

e: the clerk didn't call the cops because he didn't want any trouble which is pretty lol considering what happened to his store regardless.

If he was robbing the store, why would they even put any of the stuff they were getting back? Who robs a store, only takes some, and even ends up putting some of the stuff back down on the counter before walking (not running) out? It sure would be nice if we could have some information from the shop owner as to what exactly happened, but I guess we'll just have to do with a parade of folks who come around to chime in that obviously Mike Brown is a violent thug - just look at how his hulking frame pushes the shopkeeper twenty feet back. Those folks never seem to really care too much over the little details that are constantly brought before them, such as the incident not being called in as a robbery by the owner. Maybe it has to do with the ongoing Federal investigation - but is there any good reason as to why we're not hearing from the guy behind the counter as to what happened? I'm not picking on Miltank specifically or anything, I would just think at the very least it would have been called in if it was what certain folks seem so quick to jump on. Not that it should matter - I must have missed the memo about a petty theft deserving execution by LEO's.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Foma posted:

A lot of us are just plain horrified at how institutionalized racism is in many American police units actually.

e: The only people that are trying to make Michael Brown anything other than human are those personally invested in him being a violent hulking demon. People who don't particularly like black people or find them scary, for example.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Vaall posted:

You're seeing what you want to see.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

I don't think your link really demonstrates that. The only inconsistency with that part of the story is whether Johnson was involved, not whether or not it happened.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Indigofreak posted:

You mean what his lawyer is reported as having said that Johnson said?

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Majorian posted:

Not really - the camera shows him paying for the cigarillos, so...

You appear to be pathologically unable to accept the fact that Michael Brown stole merchandise & became violent when confronted by the store owner along with footage captured on video because he's black. Even Dorian Johnson's attorney corroborates this. You appear to get off on calling people racist on the internet under anonymity with whom you disagree despite facts proving you wrong.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Indigofreak posted:

I remember you from the Trayvon threads. You surface at interesting times, and usually end up blurting out something that lets you be recognized.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

You're seeing what you want to see.

No, I saw what was on the video.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

foot posted:

You mean what his lawyer is reported as having said that Johnson said?

Is the allegation here that his attorney would lie about his client's story?

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

SedanChair posted:

I remember you from the Trayvon threads. You surface at interesting times, and usually end up blurting out something that lets you be recognized.

This is cute coming from D&D's most notorious shitposter.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xandu posted:

I don't think your link really demonstrates that. The only inconsistency with that part of the story is whether Johnson was involved, not whether or not it happened.

Fair enough - it seems to me like he's trying to cover his rear end quite a bit in the story, even though there really isn't much reason for that.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still don't get this line of argumentation at all because even if Wilson knew for 100% sure that Brown robbed the convenience store, how would that legally contribute in any way to him being justified in shooting him? I mean, maybe I'm missing something and if so I apologize.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Ok guys he robbed the store

He was killed after.

Ok great justice served

'u steal, u die.'

It's right in the constitution.

How did Wilson know without any warning?

He just knew.
End of case. Close the thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vaall posted:

You appear to be pathologically unable to accept the fact that Michael Brown stole merchandise & became violent when confronted by the store owner along with footage captured on video because he's black.

Nah, you seem to be pathologically stuck on trying to lamely prove that he deserved to die.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Sunset posted:

If he was robbing the store, why would they even put any of the stuff they were getting back? Who robs a store, only takes some, and even ends up putting some of the stuff back down on the counter before walking (not running) out? It sure would be nice if we could have some information from the shop owner as to what exactly happened, but I guess we'll just have to do with a parade of folks who come around to chime in that obviously Mike Brown is a violent thug - just look at how his hulking frame pushes the shopkeeper twenty feet back. Those folks never seem to really care too much over the little details that are constantly brought before them, such as the incident not being called in as a robbery by the owner. Maybe it has to do with the ongoing Federal investigation - but is there any good reason as to why we're not hearing from the guy behind the counter as to what happened? I'm not picking on Miltank specifically or anything, I would just think at the very least it would have been called in if it was what certain folks seem so quick to jump on. Not that it should matter - I must have missed the memo about a petty theft deserving execution by LEO's.

The owner was probably really hoping to avoid any trouble. Before the media attention he could have called in the incident but it probably wouldn't have amounted to anything considering how petty the theft was. He might also be mistrustful of police. After the media attention he was probably hoping to fly under the rdar to avoid having his store looted just for being involved.

Obviously nothing Brown could have done in the store is a justification for the shooting and it is ESPECIALLY not a justification for the DA's failure to indict which is completely unacceptable.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 28, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I still don't get this line of argumentation at all because even if Wilson knew for 100% sure that Brown robbed the convenience store, how would that legally contribute in any way to him being justified in shooting him? I mean, maybe I'm missing something and if so I apologize.

I don't think anyone is claiming that. It's just normal D&D obsessiveness about what actually happened.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Xandu posted:

i think his problem is that his attorney reportedly said it. maybe i'm too sensitive to weasel words in journalism nowadays, but that phrasing sounds off to me too

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Because at the range Wilson shot him dead, he could have pulled out one of the cigars from his pocket and thrown it like a Korean hapkido dart.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Majorian posted:

Nah, you seem to be pathologically stuck on trying to lamely prove that he deserved to die.

No, just correcting your fan fiction version of events that occurred in the convenience store.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Xandu posted:

I don't think anyone is claiming that. It's just normal D&D obsessiveness about what actually happened.

Vaall seems pretty dead-set on describing Brown as a "violent person."

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Xandu posted:

No, just that a thirdhand paraphrase instead of a direct quote allows some wide latitude in interpretation.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

Indigofreak posted:

They won't believe it. Last time this came up someone ended up denying that "took" meant a theft.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Holy poo poo people, let's get on the right track.

1. There is absolutely no controversy over the theft. Brown's friend, present at the theft, is very clear to admit it was theft. Pretending that "YOU DON'T KNOW IT WAS THEFT" is bullshit. It was. End of story.

2. The first goddamn thing you learn with regards to theft in a retail environment is don't gently caress with the thief. Don't chase them, don't attempt to restrain or subdue them. Let them steal and call the cops so that *they* can deal with the theft. Brown's behavior is a pretty classic example of why this is the case.

3. The belief that "he was willing to shoplift and shove a clerk" only equates to "he would be willing to start a fight with a cop, up to and including when that cop is firing live rounds at him" if you're pretty drat racist.

As someone noted above, we have probably all known someone who has stolen. And most of us have gotten into a minor physical altercation with another person at some point in our lives. Neither of these even remotely means the same people would be willing to punch a cop for no reason.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Cuntpunch posted:

Holy poo poo people, let's get on the right track.

1. There is absolutely no controversy over the theft. Brown's friend, present at the theft, is very clear to admit it was theft. Pretending that "YOU DON'T KNOW IT WAS THEFT" is bullshit. It was. End of story.

This is the only thing I have been saying and not surprisingly its controversial here.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vaall posted:

This is the only thing I have been saying and not surprisingly its controversial here.

The reason why people object to what you've said is your repeated assertion that Brown was a violent person, and the suggestion that this somehow justifies his murder.

e: Also the fact that you've been rabidly shitposting throughout this entire thread.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 28, 2014

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Majorian posted:

The reason why people object to what you've said is your repeated assertion that Brown was a violent person, and the suggestion that this somehow justifies his murder.

Evidently he was at least somewhat violent and at the very least capable of violence but of course that doesn't condone murder over theft of swishers. I've repeated the assertion that he stole from the store because people like you are still in some fantasy land where he didn't. Its a minor fact, but it still doesn't excuse you or others to blatantly claim it never happened.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Miltank posted:

It seems way more likely that Brown robbed the place than some sort of weird confrontation where a store owner refuses to Brown the display box of cigarillos and then physically attacks brown to prevent him from leaving.

e: the clerk didn't call the cops because he didn't want any trouble which is pretty lol considering what happened to his store regardless.

Seemed likely to me that owner wouldn't want to sell them to him because Brown was underaged. Brown gets pissed, throws the money on the counter and tries to walk out of the store with the cigarillos. Not a robbery, but definitely something he could be arrested for.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Majorian posted:

Fair enough - it seems to me like he's trying to cover his rear end quite a bit in the story, even though there really isn't much reason for that.

Can someone just do a summary of the whole convenience store thing? List what's shown in all of the angles, including what's clear and what's ambiguous. List the statements made by Dorian Johnson, and what sources say that Wilson knew (or didn't know) about the alleged robbery. It's honestly a bit hard to follow, though I can see it being a possibility that Dorian Johnson's testimony is trying to cover his rear end, making it some weird case of prisoner's dilemma depending on what actually happened at the store.

Also, I recall Ferguson Chief Tom Jackson say in a press conference that Wilson didn't know anything about the alleged robbery before the confrontation with Michael Brown. Did he renege on this statement or something?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vaall posted:

Evidently he was at least somewhat violent and at the very least capable of violence but of course that doesn't condone murder over theft of swishers. I've repeated the assertion that he stole from the store because people like you are still in some fantasy land where he didn't. Its a minor fact, but it still doesn't excuse you or others to blatantly claim it never happened.

Okay, I'll bite: so what do you think is happening in the video in the section that the police initially excised? One of Brown's friends (I'm assuming Wilson?) is handing something that looks like money to the clerk. The clerk walks out past the counter with what is clearly money in his hands. Are you just pinning your argument on that part of the video not existing, or...?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Vaall posted:

particularly when they're strong armeding people

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009

bassguitarhero posted:

It's not so much that cops never kill white folks, it's just that the cops kill 21 black people for every white person they kill. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/26/michael-brown-justice_n_6222162.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&ir=Politics

I mean when people want to deflect and say "Police militarization is a problem for everybody!" It's not like I can't say "No, I don't give a poo poo about white people getting killed by the police" because it definitely happens, but black people getting killed at 21x the rate of white people is insane.

Don't poor people (often minorities) commit a lot more violent crime per capita than white people? If you scaled that 21x by crime rate, would it be closer to black people getting killed maybe 5x more instead of 21x? Not that 5x or even 1.000001x is acceptable, it's still clearly racist.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Majorian posted:

e: Also the fact that you've been rabidly shitposting throughout this entire thread.

Yes, I told somebody advocating for domestic terrorism funded with drug money to go gently caress himself. I'd do it again.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Police should have to wear body cameras that they stream to the public, both to prevent overblown stuff like this, and to provide me and the rest of the public with epic vids.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's weird how the police immediately released video of Brown robbing the store and pushing the clerk but haven't followed it up with anything. Nothing from the clerk, no charges for Brown's friend, nothing. Shouldn't Johnson be in jail for assisting Brown in his vicious Hulkamania beatdown of the infant officer Wilson as well?

Another thing I was thinking of in relation to my "Why the gently caress did Wilson get out of the car posts":

On top of all of the other reasons to not get out of the cruiser, his weapon had misfired multiple times before he finally got a couple of shots off in the car.

So, after getting the 7'5" 450lb man who he was afraid would kill him with a punch to get away from his vehicle, he got out of it to chase him down with a service weapon that had "just clicked" on more than one occasion in recent seconds. Smart move.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

fknlo posted:

It's weird how the police immediately released video of Brown robbing the store and pushing the clerk but haven't followed it up with anything. Nothing from the clerk, no charges for Brown's friend, nothing. Shouldn't Johnson be in jail for assisting Brown in his vicious Hulkamania beatdown of the infant officer Wilson as well?

Another thing I was thinking of in relation to my "Why the gently caress did Wilson get out of the car posts":

On top of all of the other reasons to not get out of the cruiser, his weapon had misfired multiple times before he finally got a couple of shots off in the car.

So, after getting the 7'5" 450lb man who he was afraid would kill him with a punch to get away from his vehicle, he got out of it to chase him down with a service weapon that had "just clicked" on more than one occasion in recent seconds. Smart move.

you dont know what its like you have to minimize your risk and akt without thinking in a dangrous situation with a twentytwselve your old

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

If a guy freaked out, grabbed me and tried to physically sequester me inside his building, I would certainly push him out of the way. At the least.

Brown acted a fool in getting into those straits, but I don't think it is appropriate to position this as evidence of even mildly violent tendencies considering that it was an ambiguous situation that the shopkeeper escalated by initiating contact. I do not see where that is an inappropriate use of force.

Michael Brown has a questionable grasp of the law: sure
Michael Brown was violent: No cause to believe so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Majorian posted:

Okay, I'll bite: so what do you think is happening in the video in the section that the police initially excised? One of Brown's friends (I'm assuming Wilson?) is handing something that looks like money to the clerk. The clerk walks out past the counter with what is clearly money in his hands. Are you just pinning your argument on that part of the video not existing, or...?

Per Johnson's testimony, Johnson was handing back cigarillos. That Brown had tried to take without paying.

It's a sideshow because even if Wilson knew about it doesn't justify Browns death, but it's pretty clear from testimony that the cigarillos weren't paid for.

• Locked thread