Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

apple posted:

Can someone just do a summary of the whole convenience store thing? List what's shown in all of the angles, including what's clear and what's ambiguous. List the statements made by Dorian Johnson, and what sources say that Wilson knew (or didn't know) about the alleged robbery. It's honestly a bit hard to follow, though I can see it being a possibility that Dorian Johnson's testimony is trying to cover his rear end, making it some weird case of prisoner's dilemma depending on what actually happened at the store.

Also, I recall Ferguson Chief Tom Jackson say in a press conference that Wilson didn't know anything about the alleged robbery before the confrontation with Michael Brown. Did he renege on this statement or something?

Initially the story was Wilson didn't know.

Wilson's Grand Jury testimony indicates a "I stopped them for jaywalking, but when I saw the cigarillos in his hands I KNEW!"

Dorian Johnson's Grand Jury testimony pretty much indicates it was theft:

Grand Jury Volume 4:

p. 31: "..never came up that he didn't have any money. I had money, I had money in my pocket. It never came up he didn't have any money..."
p. 32: Brown asks for a box of Cigarillos, leans forward to grab them before handing the box to Johnson.
p. 33: "Now, at this time I still didn't think that he was not going to pay for them..." [...] "It wasn't until he went back the second time and grabbed a handful of the single Cigarillos. Now first he grabbed the box and the store clerk did nothing, this time he was going back to grab the single Cigarillos. As he was coming back, the store clerk did a late response and he swung at his hand, but he missed because he was so late, he smacked the counter."
p. 34: (relating to the clerk swinging) "he kind of hit the top of some Cigarillos, which made some of them fall. And Big Mike turned to pick them up, and as he picked those up, he faced towards the door, that's when I knew okay, something is not right here. I didn't see, from where I was standing, I didn't see money get transferred to the store clerk and that's why I sat the box of Cigarillos back on the counter. I've been to the store a lot of times."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

fknlo posted:

It's weird how the police immediately released video of Brown robbing the store and pushing the clerk but haven't followed it up with anything. Nothing from the clerk, no charges for Brown's friend, nothing. Shouldn't Johnson be in jail for assisting Brown in his vicious Hulkamania beatdown of the infant officer Wilson as well?

Another thing I was thinking of in relation to my "Why the gently caress did Wilson get out of the car posts":

On top of all of the other reasons to not get out of the cruiser, his weapon had misfired multiple times before he finally got a couple of shots off in the car.

So, after getting the 7'5" 450lb man who he was afraid would kill him with a punch to get away from his vehicle, he got out of it to chase him down with a service weapon that had "just clicked" on more than one occasion in recent seconds. Smart move.

The grand jury didn't have Stupid as a possible charge.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One question I still have about this is, are there any physical requirements for an argument that you feel threatened enough by an unarmed guy that you have to shoot them? Like that they are x pounds heavier or x inches taller, or something like that? Or is it merely your perception of how scary they were at that time, and nothing else?

My brain still can't accept that the law says its ok to shoot unarmed people, in any situation. I mean, I can read the law and see it right there, but on a deeper level I can't give up the idea that it's bullshit. I was thinking the same thing all through the Martin case too.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Samurai Sanders posted:

One question I still have about this is, are there any physical requirements for an argument that you feel threatened enough by an unarmed guy that you have to shoot them? Like that they are x pounds heavier or x inches taller, or something like that? Or is it merely your perception of how scary they were at that time, and nothing else?

My brain still can't accept that the law says its ok to shoot unarmed people, in any situation. I mean, I can read the law and see it right there, but on a deeper level I can't give up the idea that it's bullshit. I was thinking the same thing all through the Martin case too.

well what if it's like evil bruce lee or somehitng and theres a bomb you need to stop and

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Don't worry, we'll ask questions after the shooting to determine that.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Cuntpunch posted:

Initially the story was Wilson didn't know.

Wilson's Grand Jury testimony indicates a "I stopped them for jaywalking, but when I saw the cigarillos in his hands I KNEW!"

Dorian Johnson's Grand Jury testimony pretty much indicates it was theft:

Grand Jury Volume 4:

p. 31: "..never came up that he didn't have any money. I had money, I had money in my pocket. It never came up he didn't have any money..."
p. 32: Brown asks for a box of Cigarillos, leans forward to grab them before handing the box to Johnson.
p. 33: "Now, at this time I still didn't think that he was not going to pay for them..." [...] "It wasn't until he went back the second time and grabbed a handful of the single Cigarillos. Now first he grabbed the box and the store clerk did nothing, this time he was going back to grab the single Cigarillos. As he was coming back, the store clerk did a late response and he swung at his hand, but he missed because he was so late, he smacked the counter."
p. 34: (relating to the clerk swinging) "he kind of hit the top of some Cigarillos, which made some of them fall. And Big Mike turned to pick them up, and as he picked those up, he faced towards the door, that's when I knew okay, something is not right here. I didn't see, from where I was standing, I didn't see money get transferred to the store clerk and that's why I sat the box of Cigarillos back on the counter. I've been to the store a lot of times."

Thanks!

There's still something that confuses me though, people (like Majorian) are saying that Michael Brown hands something to the cashier, can someone point out to where this happens in the surveillance footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQsOBXCQlDg

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

As far as Virginia goes, a man is always considered armed against a woman when it comes to self defense shooting. There are no other guidelines so far as I'm aware.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
More specifically, I can't shake the idea that laws like that were made by people who love guns and would prefer to err on the side of shooting people with them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

apple posted:

Thanks!

There's still something that confuses me though, people (like Majorian) are saying that Michael Brown hands something to the cashier, can someone point out to where this happens in the surveillance footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQsOBXCQlDg

24/25 seconds in, it looks like Wilson is handing something over the counter with his right hand. 35-ish seconds in, it looks like the clerk has money in his hand.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope, as long as you "fear for your life" or whatever arbitrary requirement your state may have you can't lose a fight as long as you have your trusty six shooter at your side. Unless the other guy has a gun and you make him "fear for his life" first. So in about 10 years it'll be legal to shoot anyone who has any kind of interaction with you in any way.

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

"He's comin' right for us!/I was in fear for my life!" has become the ultimate wild card for all the Judge Dredd cosplayers police who put on their blues and badge each morning and would prefer to start encounters with citizens in extremely aggressive and split-second approaches rather than in ways that actually give a half-assed attempt to de-escalate rather than escalate.

You don't even need to have a weapon anymore. The fact that you can use your legs to get closer to a cop and have hands, hands which can be used to kill - is all that seems to be needed anymore. Of course remember to throw in the obligatory animal noises or whatever else to the deceased to try and make them look something other than human being..

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Samurai Sanders posted:

My brain still can't accept that the law says its ok to shoot unarmed people, in any situation.

You are a police officer openly carrying a gun. I walk up to you, land a few really good punches to your face, then try to grab your gun. You're saying that you would let a crazy person (because who else but a crazy person would attack a cop?) take your gun? Do you have a death wish?

Out of all the nasty stuff police in the US have done, I can't believe the death of store-robbing criminal is the event that triggered riots.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

My Lil Parachute posted:

You are a police officer openly carrying a gun. I walk up to you, land a few really good punches to your face, then try to grab your gun. You're saying that you would let a crazy person (because who else but a crazy person would attack a cop?) take your gun? Do you have a death wish?

Out of all the nasty stuff police in the US have done, I can't believe the death of store-robbing criminal is the event that triggered riots.

really all physical contact with an officer of the law should end with death

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought that cop gun holsters were designed specifically so that that situation wouldn't happen and it would have to be the cop who drew the gun before it could get into enemy hands. I was initially confused about this incident because I thought Brown had somehow been trying to get at Wilson's holstered gun but nope, Wilson drew it in the first place.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

My Lil Parachute posted:

Assuming that Michael Brown was, in fact, a store-robbing criminal, how exactly did Wilson know he was?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Majorian posted:

Assuming that Michael Brown was, in fact, a store-robbing criminal, how exactly did Wilson know he was?

Brown was black.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Brown was black.

and a hulk hogan

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

There are occasional precedents where trained martial-artists and boxers are treated as armed perpetrators, but that obviously does not apply here. And it's not a formal thing so much as something a judge or jury can be asked to consider, on a case-by-case basis.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW

Majorian posted:

That's not my point - I'm not defending Wilson. It just seems weird to me that a baby can get horrifically injured by a flashbang and no-one cares, people get shot in no-knock raids where the cops get the address wrong and no-one cares, but get shot after robbing a store and picking a fight with a cop? Outrage.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

My Lil Parachute posted:

That's not my point - I'm not defending Wilson. It just seems weird to me that a baby can get horrifically injured by a flashbang and no-one cares, people get shot in no-knock raids where the cops get the address wrong and no-one cares, but rob a store and pick a fight with a cop? Outrage.

well those first two were just tragic accidents and probably from a few news cycles ago

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

My Lil Parachute posted:

That's not my point - I'm not defending Wilson. It just seems weird to me that a baby can get horrifically injured by a flashbang and no-one cares, people get shot in no-knock raids where the cops get the address wrong and no-one cares, but rob a store and pick a fight with a cop? Outrage.
I have also sometimes wondered how this one caught on more than other cases of police doing poo poo to minorities that happen every day. I guess it's just the luck of the draw which one the media picks up in a big way?

PupsOfWar posted:

There are occasional precedents where trained martial-artists and boxers are treated as armed perpetrators, but that obviously does not apply here. And it's not a formal thing so much as something a judge or jury can be asked to consider, on a case-by-case basis.
Well, this situation seems to be presenting itself more and more (in the media anyway), so I wonder if it will be formalized at some point?

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

My Lil Parachute posted:

Case in point to what I just said - sadder yet that people will chomp at the bit to defend a cop's right to put you down if there's even a remote chance that you might be some nebulous threat. Pretty sure there's a number of safety mechanisms on holsters to help prevent things like this scenario from happening. Also lets just forget using mace on the crazy person, or a taser, or radioing for back up, this is life or death - that crazy person could easily summon the fury of Zeus himself and pancake your face with his fist. You're right. Because the world is a bad and scary place we should give police full authority to act as judge AND executioner. Having cops on the street thinking like that will make the world such a safer place.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

My Lil Parachute posted:

That's not my point - I'm not defending Wilson. It just seems weird to me that a baby can get horrifically injured by a flashbang and no-one cares, people get shot in no-knock raids where the cops get the address wrong and no-one cares, but get shot after robbing a store and picking a fight with a cop? Outrage.

There's no consensus he 'picked a fight'. If you're trying to say Brown is *not* a victim of the same sort of abuse of police powers that your other examples are, you're horribly mistaken. You don't get to draw a line like that if you're being intellectually honest.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Lil Parachute posted:

people care because this act of police violence sparked some actual protests. that is literally the only reason.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nah, guns are so easy to get out of holsters if you don't know how to do it that the two Boston bombers couldn't take the gun from the cop they killed.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cuntpunch posted:

There's no consensus he 'picked a fight'. If you're trying to say Brown is *not* a victim of the same sort of abuse of police powers that your other examples are, you're horribly mistaken. You don't get to draw a line like that if you're being intellectually honest.

He definitely tried to fight the cop, which is suicide. That's why he died. Period.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

My Lil Parachute posted:

Why are you expecting the causes of civil unrest to be graded on some sort of linear scale? They are, by nature, emotional. Media coverage and differing public interests will determine what emotionally involves a person more than something else.

And to be fair, not everyone is focusing on racial issues. The over-militarization and violent carelessness of the national/local police force is also a major issue, though at least in the case of the Ferguson protests both race and police brutality are intertwined.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 28, 2014

blakangel
Mar 28, 2004
broken reflection on the surface of never

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought that cop gun holsters were designed specifically so that that situation wouldn't happen and it would have to be the cop who drew the gun before it could get into enemy hands. I was initially confused about this incident because I thought Brown had somehow been trying to get at Wilson's holstered gun but nope, Wilson drew it in the first place.

Duty holsters have what's called a "retention level" which is a measure of how hard it would be for an assailant to remove the gun from the holster. I don't know the specific differences between levels but generally pistol holsters have the button/snap/lock on the inside of the holster nearest to the wearer, as opposed to the outside where it could be snagged open easily. (From my limited experience shopping for and wearing a holster).

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

My Lil Parachute posted:

Maybe you should study history, look at the statistics and pay attention?
Seriously, everything you mentioned is horrible, but we are talking scale, not individual incidents. This is not about M. Brown as much as it is about historic systemic racism and brutality towards a certain population.

Think bigger.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

He definitely tried to fight the cop, which is suicide. That's why he died. Period.

But then he stopped fighting and ran away. Is it OK to kill unarmed fleeing suspects?

Tell me whether or not it's OK.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Majorian posted:

24/25 seconds in, it looks like Wilson is handing something over the counter with his right hand. 35-ish seconds in, it looks like the clerk has money in his hand.

You mean Dorian Johnson? Unless I'm missing something, that just looks like the box that Michael Brown handed him, he even testified:

"... I sat the box of Cigarillos back on the counter."

I can't make anything out that the store clerk is grabbing 35 seconds in.

e: Also reminder that it was initially reported that this has nothing to do with the initial encounter between DW and MB, I just wanted to understand this series of events.

apple fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 28, 2014

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Cuntpunch posted:

There's no consensus he 'picked a fight'.

Not obeying the officers orders to get out off the street and use the sidewalk is an act of aggression. Yes, he did pick a fight. First he didn't steal from the store, and now this? Holy poo poo D&D. :ughh:

SedanChair posted:

But then he stopped fighting and ran away. Is it OK to kill unarmed fleeing suspects?

Tell me whether or not it's OK.

He wasn't shot from behind therefore the premise of your question is invalid to begin with. Again, SedenChair.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Pohl posted:

Seriously, everything you mentioned is horrible, but we are talking scale, not individual incidents. This is not about M. Brown as much as it is about historic systemic racism and brutality towards a certain population.

Think bigger.

<sarcasm>

Nah, man, you see, all African Americans are responsible for the actions of individual African Americans. If the blacks want to be treated with respect then maybe they all should be respectable all of the time. Jesus, how about come common sense? Pull up your pants for Christ's sake! Hell, look at the looting and rioting; surely that proves that all of the mistreatment and subjugation and profiling of blacks is retroactively justified throughout time! If they want to act like animals then they'll get treated like animals, after all! Also, that officer was just doing his job and it was perfectly legal and justifiable to shoot that kid, or any black kid, really, since it was a police officer doing it, dontcha know. If a police officer does it, it's legal! Socialist!

</sarcasm>

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Vaall posted:

Not obeying the officers orders to get out off the street and use the sidewalk is an act of aggression.

GET OFF THE STREET GRANDMA :commissar:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have also sometimes wondered how this one caught on more than other cases of police doing poo poo to minorities that happen every day. I guess it's just the luck of the draw which one the media picks up in a big way?
Well, this situation seems to be presenting itself more and more (in the media anyway), so I wonder if it will be formalized at some point?

Growing up there, I can say that Ferguson is segregated internally in a way that most cities around St. Louis aren't. The tension/oppression there is worse, and a lot of the people living in Canfield Green are 2nd or 3rd gen refugees in a sense. Pruitt Igoe to Spanish Lake to Kinloch to Ferguson. This was a tipping point for the community, which got attention it wouldn't have otherwise commanded, and it spiraled out from there.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Pohl posted:

Think bigger.

Symbols and picking your battles matter when trying to change things. Michael Brown is a horrible case to take a stand on. It ostracized those who you wanted to bring on board. Michael Brown's Mother and Step-Dad have self control issues (to put it lightly), the fires and looting tarnished any hope of mainstream support.

The horrible abusive police response at the beginning (arresting a reporter in the McDonalds, Gassing a camera crew) distracted everyone from what a bad incident this was to take a stand on.

Foma fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 28, 2014

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Vaall posted:

Not obeying the officers orders to get out off the street and use the sidewalk is an act of aggression worthy of summary execution. Yes, he did pick a fight. First he didn't steal from the store, and now this? Holy poo poo D&D. :ughh:

He wasn't shot from behind therefore the premise of your question is invalid to begin with. Again, SedenChair.

I added the implied part you left out.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Foma posted:

Symbols and pickings your battles matter when trying to change things. Michael Brown is a horrible case to take a stand on. It ostracized those who you wanted to bring on board. Michael Brown's Mother and Step-Dad have self control issues (to put it lightly), the fires and looting tarnished any hope of mainstream support.

The horrible abusive police response at the beginning (arresting a reporter in the McDonalds, Gassing a camera crew) distracted everyone from what a bad incident this was to take a stand on.

all black people need to do is leterally await the second coming of jesus and them politiely request that they be treated more equally in cociety

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Dystram posted:

I added the implied part you left out.

No, the aggression started from disobeying the officer which unfortunately escalated into further violence that led to his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vaall posted:

No, the aggression started from disobeying the officer which unfortunately escalated into further violence that led to his death.
Is disobeying the police inherently aggression?

• Locked thread