Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talky
Mar 26, 2010
The Muslim Clown-Car (when you attack one Muslim ruler, you end up also fighting a bunch of their allies) happens because Muslims can have multiple wives, meaning that Muslim rulers can have way more alliances then Christian rulers; also as a side effect they have way more kids, who also marry and result in alliances.

Talky fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Playing as Hungary/Carpathia, I find myself having to stab some otherwise innocent party on a regular basis to stop the HRE and Byzantines from forming an alliance that would certainly result in my swift destruction.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Did one of the recent patches make revoking duchies as the Byzanthyne Empire get you a relationship hit with all your vassals? And if so, is it intended?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hmm, does yours avoid the "dynasty names not existing" bug from combining the "All Tribal" and "Shattered World" mod direct from steam?

What bug is this? I'm just letting the game auto create holders for everything, so it is new dynasties.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SeaTard posted:

What bug is this? I'm just letting the game auto create holders for everything, so it is new dynasties.
Oh, it just happened when I loaded the two "All Tribal" and "Shattered World" mods together for my latest game. Dynasties created from game start don't have names; the game generates them fine though. New Charlemagne viking event didn't run either, might just not have been updated for the new start? Nyeh.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Playing as Hungary/Carpathia, I find myself having to stab some otherwise innocent party on a regular basis to stop the HRE and Byzantines from forming an alliance that would certainly result in my swift destruction.

Really? That's surprising. In my last one, I just formed Hungary, stomped all over the Balkans and invaded the Byzantines to take the Kingdom of Greece with my unstoppable death-stack of 60,000 wild Hungarian screamers. No Byzantines, no problem! :v:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well sure, I could crush the Byzantines and engulf their entire empire, but it would take years and then I'd be neighboring the Seljuk clowncar and it would just be nothing but work, work, work, all the time.

Eric the Mauve loses the trait "Diligent"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eruonen posted:

Did one of the recent patches make revoking duchies as the Byzanthyne Empire get you a relationship hit with all your vassals? And if so, is it intended?

It's connected to the "Imperial Administration" law now - if somehow that law was changed in the Byzantine empire (I don't know how it would be - they start with it enabled and I don't think factions ever demand that it be changed), then it would incur the normal penalties.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.

Torrannor posted:

Very rarely. Basically only when they become landed (someone hires them, runs out of money and they decide to conquer his lands). If the head of the mercenary company if of your culture and religion, you are an emperor and own land adjacent to the mercenary company, then you can peacefully vassalize them. I believe there are also certain CB's that you can use to force them to become your vassals, but I can't recall which.

One landed, I believe you can take control of them by "landing and claiming" just as you would any other realm. The elective law mercenaries use usually means there are a number of courtiers with claims floating around who can be invited to your court. If the mercenary band becomes landed, inviting a claimant, giving him land, and successfully pressing his claim should vassalize the mercenary band as long as you're a higher tier (that is, at least a king).

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It sounds like a huge pain in the rear end. Did some reading, and it looks like the only way to land them is to put them on a county from a de jure kingdom you don't control any other holdings in, and then get in a war, go bankrupt, and hope they revolt and use a casus beli to take over the kingdom they're in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If I could figure out how to effectively vassalize holy orders and mercenaries, I might try a new game where I form the HRE and try to fight the abassid blob straight up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Volkerball posted:

If I could figure out how to effectively vassalize holy orders and mercenaries, I might try a new game where I form the HRE and try to fight the abassid blob straight up.

It's much easier to vassalize holy orders since you can always donate land to the holy orders of your faith.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Sitting as the Wendish Emperor of the Reformed Romuva faith, I look at my numbers and wonder...

What the hell can I even use piety for. The thing just keeps going up and while I guess keeping my theocracies happy is, good, it's in the thousands and just keeps on growing. At least if I was the Fylkir and the religious title didn't go to some scrub for some awful reason, I could use it to call great Holy wars?

Wish I could use it to form holy orders, or exchange it for prestige or something. Hold a religious event? Maybe have the Religious unique event cost piety instead of cash? Blegh.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Sitting as the Wendish Emperor of the Reformed Romuva faith, I look at my numbers and wonder...

What the hell can I even use piety for. The thing just keeps going up and while I guess keeping my theocracies happy is, good, it's in the thousands and just keeps on growing. At least if I was the Fylkir and the religious title didn't go to some scrub for some awful reason, I could use it to call great Holy wars?

Wish I could use it to form holy orders, or exchange it for prestige or something. Hold a religious event? Maybe have the Religious unique event cost piety instead of cash? Blegh.

It's better for Catholics where you can exchange piety for money, and also for Muslims since they have several uses for it. But it's not like prestige benefits you any more than piety if it gets very high, once you own land equivalent to three empires you will swim in prestige as well.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
New beta, hold on to your butts!

quote:

MAJOR:
- Reduced the amount of money the pope gets from bishops ( from 40% of tax to 10% of tax for Popes, 20% to 5% for Anti-Popes )
- Added a whole event system for husbands to find out if their wife/concubine has been unfaithful (after "Doubt besets me...")
- Multithreaded startup of the game
- Fixed crash caused by destroyed settlements by Viking looters
- Fixed probable OOS
- Fixed crash when missing certain Unit Pack DLC's
- Fixed memory leak when calculating subunits monthly cost.

MINOR:
- Winning and losing wars now tends to give more nicknames
- Decadence Revolts: Boosted troop strengths
- Decadence Revolts: Vassals more likely to go independent
- Decadence Revolts: the revolt winner no longer gets any claims on vassals that go independent
- Expanded on the Lunatic gained event (6020). Now more common, and with different texts depending on your situation
- Fixed an issue with gavelkind where, if your primary kingdom or empire was titular, it could cause strangeness
- Fixed a bug with the 'holy_war' acquisition method not showing up in title history
- Added some missing acquisition types to the CBs
- Fixed a bug with elective gavelkind in empires with secondary kingdoms where your de facto capital and kingdom did not go to your primary heir
- Winning claim wars on the liege (or when a liege folds to a claimant demand) will no longer incorrectly try to even out the de jure kingdom borders
- Optimized and fixed many bugs in the health events
- Fixed broken dynasty 8601 "de Cantabria"
- Fixed a bug in Charlemagne event CM.1076 preventing Charlemagne from getting a claim on whoever shelters Carloman's wife and children
- Fixed a bug in event 63100 causing issues when vassals change liege on succession due to being over the vassal limit
- Fixed a rare bug where landless title courts could contain random characters with no culture or religion
- Corrected some event border colors
- Tooltips on dead characters now list their primary tier titles
- Spouses now always only have personal opinions of each other
- All non-Muslims can now legitimize bastards
- All religions can now divorce their spouse if there is currently no religious head
- Added divorce reasons to character opinions and to the divorce interactions
- Tweaked the main bastard conception and lover gained events (450 and 456)
- Optimized the lookup of database files
- History province files will now only be loaded if they have correct name. The name need to be put in to the map definition file.
- The character screen no longer shows the score of the player.
- The character screen now shows how many troops that character can raise.
- It is now possible to cancel your own plot in your character screen.
- Demesne size and vassal limit is now visible in the character screen.
- The loading screen for the most recent dlc is now always shown first when loading the game.
- Tengri no longer get pagan homeland attrition penalty against other pagans.
- Reformed Zunists no longer have pagan defensive homeland attrition.
- Fixed CTD when resigning from games.
- Fixed broken options in events which used the religion = christian trigger.
- Fixed bug where the cost of vassal mercenaries were not calculated properly.
- Fixed bug where ironman saves became broken when creating a new save after loading an old one.
- AI will now prefer using CB's without piety and prestige costs.
- Fixed bug where elective gavelkind in some cases stole provinces from other realms on succession.
- Fixed crash when trying to host a save stored in a sub-directory.
- Viceroyalties can no longer be granted to characters outside your realm.
- Fixed crash when finishing constructions in settlements without a holder.
- Fixed issue where both tribal settlement conversion decisions were avaliable for republics.
- The decisions for forming the kingdom of Leon and Hungary is no longer allowed if the required kingdoms are viceroyalties.
- Fixed bug where the king-tier crown was used for all characters in the lobby regardless of their tier.
- Viceroys becoming unlanded will now hand back their viceroy title to their liege.
- Wars and truces are now visible in the character view.
- Fixed bug where the Assassin Resurface-event did not activate the title.
- Decadence tooltip now uses a consistent amount of decimals.
- Opening the chronicle now pauses the game if not in multiplayer.
- Fixed bug where Empires could be granted as viceroyalties (but did not do anything).
- Fixed bug where the family of Carloman sometimes fled to a revolt.
- Clarified the negative effects for tribal job troops if not used in the job action tooltip.
- Fixed bug where provinces where unselectable after resigning and starting a new game if that province was selected before resigning.
- Fixed issue where De Jure Region modifiers were clamped with Owner Martial Skill in the levy tooltip.
- Fixed history bug where character 30829 (Simone Drengot) had the wrong father.
- Fixed broken allow-trigger in landed_titles.
- Added missing message type GRANT_VICE_ROYALTY_INTERACTION_ACCEPT
- Fixed bug where prepared invasion troops were not properly dismissed when the invader died before declaring war.
- Duchy of Thessalonika is no longer set to be a viceroyalty when held by Latin Empire.
- Tweaked the stats of some early Norse characters.
- Isle of Man is now its own de jure duchy.
- Tweaks to Manx title names.
- Taking the "Become Kshatriya Caste" decision now also gives the Kshatriya caste trait to to any unlanded spouses or children in the ruler's court.
- Muslim rulers now correctly get a negative opinion against Byzantine emperor who renounces iconoclasm.
- Saxon Wars event can no longer trigger for non-feudal rulers.
- Added target list for great holy wars for reformed Zunists.
- Tweaked triggers for unlocking crusades and jihads (France and North Africa).
- Tweaked the chances for some ruler nicknames.
- Fixed the names for Church of Zun and West African Church (was wrong format).
- Fixed a bug where a coincillor could sometimes complain to liege about herself.
- Fixed the localisation for the Seljuk Turks title.
- Melitene province in Armenia is now properly considered mountainous terrain.
- Fixed a crash when selecting a lowborn theocracy at startup.

AI:
- Tweaked release from prison and execution logic
- Added AI choice scripts to the bastard is born event (301)

MODDING:
- Added a new insult and compliment system based on strings scripted into the traits. Used in texts with [GetFromRootInsult], [GetRootFromFromCompliment], etc
- Added 'modifier' fields to effects 'random_list' and 'random'
- The 'is_married' trigger can now take a target as well as a bool (like 'is_lover' and 'is_consort')
- Added many new nicknames
- Added possibility to set a specific discoverer to the 'reveal_plot' effect (reveal_plot = ROOT, etc)
- Added trigger 'plot_is_known_by'
- Added event effect 'usurp_title_plus_barony_if_unlanded_and_vassals_n o_adj'
- Added trigger 'any_opinion_modifier_target'
- Added effects 'random_opinion_modifier_target' and 'any_opinion_modifier_target'
- Added combat rating modifier with triggers 'combat_rating' and 'combat_rating_diff'
- Added fromfromfromfrom scope targets
- Added optional 'as_if_liege' parameter to opinion triggers
- Added triggers 'personal_opinion', 'reverse_personal_opinion', 'personal_opinion_diff' and 'reverse_personal_opinion_diff'
(These do not take state diplomacy, laws or any other such state concerns into account)
- Moved to defines: MALE_ATTRACTION_CUTOFF and FEMALE_ATTRACTION_CUTOFF
- Added 'capital' console command
- Added event effect 'log'
- Added trigger 'has_polygamy'
- Added trigger 'has_concubinage'
- Character modifier descriptions now support text variables
- Added is_holy_site trigger
- Fixed a bug with effect scope any_allied_character
- Fixed a bug with effect scope random_allied_character
- All any-triggers now support the use of count = x
- Added variables to titles
- All variable trigger and effects now work with title variables
- Variables can be displayed with localization system
- Variable triggers and effects can compare variables between types of scopes (country/province)
- Fixed problems with the variable triggers check_variable and is_variable_equal
- Added cal_true_if trigger
- Added set_title_flag effect
- Added clr_title_flag effect
- Added has_title_flag trigger
- Added had_title_flag trigger
- Added save_event_target_as effect
- Added save_global_event_target_as effect
- Added clear_event_target effect
- Added clear_global_event_target effect
- Added clear_global_event_targets effect
- Added support for weighted cultural names
- Added support for weighted regnal names
- Added an on_startup on action
- Exported MAX_CROWN_LAW_CHANGES to defines
- Added support for localized nicknames
- Added effects convert_to_temple and convert_to_tribal
- Renamed effects convert_to_feudal and convert_to_republic to convert_to_castle and convert_to_city
- set_allow_free_duchy_revokation no longer only works for viceroyalties when Charlemagne is enabled
- Added a set_allow_free_vice_royalty_revokation effect
- Fixed bug where the any_independent_ruler and random_independent_ruler could target revolts.
- Added ignores_defensive_attrition effect for religions, used for religions that do not have defensive attrition but will still not get the penalty towards such religions.

CONVERTER:
- Made converter province mapping up to date with EU4 patch 1.8
- Fixed missing cultures for converter
- Buffed Jerusalem ideas
- Tweaked Aztec and Incan ideas
- Rebalanced hashashin, jerusalem, jewish, kinghts templar and roman ideas to accomodate new values in eu4
- Version compliance with eu4 1.8 patch in the generated mod file
- Gave cathar, fraticelli and waldensian new modifiers to their religion if you have SoA.
- Tech groups should now be up to date with EU4 patch 1.8
- Fixed crash bug when converting a game that has custom titles
- Fixed now so converter mod's no longer changes checksum
- Switched so Miaphysite is not dependent on SoA to become coptic
- Added Karling ideas
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?819823-Crusader-Kings-II-Open-Beta-Patch-2.2.1.1-Now-Available-checksum-SPSR

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Paradox are now selling merchandise:

A bit tacky for me but the EU mousepad looks nice.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

quote:

The character screen now shows how many troops that character can raise.

FINALLY

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's a lot in that patch notes list I like, though I'm concerned they're going to go overboard with Lunatics running around everywhere.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Also looks like the vassal Pope money machine is dead :(

EDIT: and still no decadence changes, revolts being worse doesn't matter if decadence is always zero.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Since Charlemagne hit, the next decadence revolt I see anywhere in the world will be the first.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
So I had my unlanded heir as my Steward. I give him a county, making him my vassal (I'm playing as a duke). This causes him to resign from the council, and I can't get him back.

Is this expected behavior? As far as I know, there's no rule against someone being both a vassal and a councilor.

I actually remember being able to re-appoint him to my council, but only after some time had passed, or maybe something changed that I didn't notice? I dunno. I'm trying to understand this mechanic.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Rexim posted:

So I had my unlanded heir as my Steward. I give him a county, making him my vassal (I'm playing as a duke). This causes him to resign from the council, and I can't get him back.

Is this expected behavior? As far as I know, there's no rule against someone being both a vassal and a councilor.

I actually remember being able to re-appoint him to my council, but only after some time had passed, or maybe something changed that I didn't notice? I dunno. I'm trying to understand this mechanic.

You sometimes need to wait until the start of the next month. It's just a thing that happens, and you don't get the negative opinion for firing him.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Hi thread, getting back to this game after last playing Old Gods. How do I deal with tribes? My current King of Bohemia was the heir of Queen of Hungary, who went and took over Ruthenia before promptly dying at 50. Now I have a large three-crown monarchy, and the tribal characters really don't like my foreign homosexual king. I read that the tribes can be 'upgraded' so that they lose the wrong government type penalty, but I wonder if it's worth it. I can't form an empire (apparently I would need the Charlemagne DLC for that) and let the tribes be a vassal king's problem. Is it worth it to upgrade the tribal holdings, or should I just hand the reins of that kingdom to a relative?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

quote:

- Added Karling ideas

:catstare:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Promontory posted:

Hi thread, getting back to this game after last playing Old Gods. How do I deal with tribes? My current King of Bohemia was the heir of Queen of Hungary, who went and took over Ruthenia before promptly dying at 50. Now I have a large three-crown monarchy, and the tribal characters really don't like my foreign homosexual king. I read that the tribes can be 'upgraded' so that they lose the wrong government type penalty, but I wonder if it's worth it. I can't form an empire (apparently I would need the Charlemagne DLC for that) and let the tribes be a vassal king's problem. Is it worth it to upgrade the tribal holdings, or should I just hand the reins of that kingdom to a relative?

It's not that big of a deal to upgrade if you're making money. You either upgrade a county's stone hillfort to 4 to make them feudal, or their market city to 4 to make them a merchant city. 72 for the first upgrade, 145 for the 3 after that. Then you'll get an intrigue option to upgrade the holding, unless you don't own the duchy, in which case, the duke will do it. Really depends on how many tribal holdings you have.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Darkrenown posted:

- Added Karling ideas

You son of a bitch.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The new character screen is really nice:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Not quite sure how to interpret my observations regarding the latest decadence tweak. On the one hand...

...and on the other hand...

...it basically seems to come down to the ruler himself getting Decadent or not. If he doesn't, he'll end up with sub-10% decadence and will gently caress poo poo up. If he does get Decadent, watch the gently caress out, because that empire's exploding eventually.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

:swoon:

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Volkerball posted:

It's not that big of a deal to upgrade if you're making money. You either upgrade a county's stone hillfort to 4 to make them feudal, or their market city to 4 to make them a merchant city. 72 for the first upgrade, 145 for the 3 after that. Then you'll get an intrigue option to upgrade the holding, unless you don't own the duchy, in which case, the duke will do it. Really depends on how many tribal holdings you have.

Cool, thanks. I only had to help out a little, the rest of the dukes did the upgrading themselves and it seems I'll be able to keep the kingdom.

Now I just hope the Ruthenian faction calling for elective monarchy will actually make their demand so I can institute it. I burnt my succession law adjustment to bring up agnatic-cognatic succession, but then decided to try to have a male heir. Now I have two daughters and the other one is going to get Ruthenia via gavelkind.

:negative:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
"- Taking the "Become Kshatriya Caste" decision now also gives the Kshatriya caste trait to to any unlanded spouses or children in the ruler's court."
Man, that poo poo makes it so more convenient for when you convert to hindu from a concubine.
"- Isle of Man is now its own de jure duchy."

Yeeeeesssss, mwahahaha.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's connected to the "Imperial Administration" law now - if somehow that law was changed in the Byzantine empire (I don't know how it would be - they start with it enabled and I don't think factions ever demand that it be changed), then it would incur the normal penalties.

That was the problem last time. My old save somehow had no laws in that particular branch. This game shouldn't be having that issue though!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So from the 1220 start date where Genghis Khan holds 10 counties, his firstborn son is set to only inherit one, with the secondborn getting four. Seriously, Paradox? We're back to this again?

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
The Mongols use ultimogeniture, that means the older the son, the less he gets.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

quote:

- Added Karling ideas
code:
karling_ideas = {
	start = {
		prestige = 1
		diplomatic_reputation = 2
	}
	bonus = {
		legitimacy = 1
	}
	trigger = {
		dynasty = "Karling"
		religion = catholic
		goverment = monarchy
	}
	free = yes

kings_of_europe = {
		global_unrest = -2
	}
	carolingian_grand_strategy = {
		core_creation = -0.20
	}
	military_obligations = {
		global_manpower_modifier = 0.30
	}
	retinue_regnum_francorum = {
		land_morale = 0.20
	}
	legacy_of_the_romans = {
		idea_cost = -0.1
		build_power_cost = -0.1
	}
	carolingian_renaissance = {
		technology_cost = -0.05
	}
	tradition_of_war = {
		army_tradition = 1
	}
}

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sounds interesting though I don't understand all of it, I can't wait to try it out in-game.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Fall Sick and Die posted:

..but that's not how ultimogeniture works for literally everyone else. Ultimogeniture means your youngest son inherits everything

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 28, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

:ssh: they use gavelkind :ssh:

and if it was gavelkind ultimogeniture then the youngest son should get the primary title in addition to the lion's share of land.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Darkrenown posted:

New beta, hold on to your butts!
- Isle of Man is now its own de jure duchy.

Empire of Man here we come!

quote:

- Added variables to titles
- All variable trigger and effects now work with title variables

:gowron:

…was this just for me?

Now I need to see if I can set a flag variables for my High Kingdoms mod.

• Locked thread