Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ozmunkeh posted:

Well that would explain the trailer. :v:
JP4 is going to be some hot garbage but SMG will come and save us by convincing us that, just like Sucker Punch, it's supposed to be a piece of poo poo and is therefore brilliant.

Sucker punch is a movie designed to make nerds mad. It seems to be working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Also might as well tame the raptors so they don't go on murder sprees killing the guests

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Raptors are like Timberwolves, they're super dangerous but their pack mentality and intelligence make them suitable for domesticating, all you have to do is appeal to their intelligence and demonstrate that you are the pack leader.

Then you can have your own cuddly pet Raptor and take him to the Raptor park and hope to god he doesn't bite anybody cuz that's a bad Raptor. Sometimes they can forget that you taught them how to love.

And don't let Michael Vick have any.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Maybe they'll show a scene where Chris Pratt killed the pack leader with nothing, but a combat knife and human will and become the new leader of Raptor pack Omega

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

achillesforever6 posted:

Maybe they'll show a scene where Chris Pratt killed the pack leader with nothing, but a combat knife and human will and become the new leader of Raptor pack Omega

Dance off against the lead Raptor.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
With regards to the park losing visitors, I can imagine a scenario where the upkeep costs are enormous and/or visitor numbers increase is stagnating, so a modern company whose principle is that profit must always be increasing beyond any realistic degree wants to take dramatic action.

"Turbodino" just seems so trite. Please surprise me like, maybe, the Planet of the Apes reboot. :(

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So when will they cast Chris Pratt as the new Indiana Jones? Two years, or more like five?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Indiana Jones and the Ghost Pyramid, 2020

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dance off against the lead Raptor.

One of the raptors grabs a spare dirtbike and they reenact the MI:2 bike ballet scene to a wailing guitar solo. Movie redeemed.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ha we had to postpone our Get Hard trailer. Apparently in light of recent events it wouldn't be kosher to drop it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

kiimo posted:

Ha we had to postpone our Get Hard trailer. Apparently in light of recent events it wouldn't be kosher to drop it.

No one wants to see John McClane struggle with erectile dysfunction!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

kiimo posted:

Did the ratings agency get mad at "from the director of My Wife is Retarded?"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

davidspackage posted:

"Turbodino" just seems so trite. Please surprise me like, maybe, the Planet of the Apes reboot. :(

You're kind of in luck then because it's being written by the same two writers as those films.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Get Hard is a bad movie it's just silly that Ferguson would prevent us showing Will Ferrel acting all gangsta.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

Get Hard is a bad movie it's just silly that Ferguson would prevent us showing Will Ferrel acting all gangsta.

Not really. I'd probably riot more too if I saw that trailer at a time of heightened tensions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rooney Mara is super pretty. Like, drat.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

PriorMarcus posted:

You're kind of in luck then because it's being written by the same two writers as those films.

Wait, seriously? This makes me way more interested in the movie than the trailer does.

I thought the trailer made the movie look super dumb. Everyone is super serious while stupid poo poo happens like raptor buddies and genetically modified frankendino and controllable zorb balls. The tones didn't seem to fit each other. That last shot didn't fit with the rest of the trailer at all and I groaned when I saw it.

I thought the trailer was meh and it didn't sell me on anything.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 26, 2014

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Jurassic World and the new Star Wars are both interesting cases of movies that were both 90's phenomenons (according to some second-hand anecdotal evidence, while the fans existed pre-1990, most of it's fandom blew up after the internet), both with a string of bad movies post-97, and both coming up with new movies in the next year. As well, both movies have directors that are generally talented but with tepid followings. While JJ Abrams is coming off 'Into Darkness', a film that defines audience backlash, and Colin Trevorrow has 'Safety Not Guaranteed' one decent if unspectacular 'made for Netflix' film to his name. Both also have talented scriptwriters behind them, with Star Wars having Michael Arndt (who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3) and Jurassic World had Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (both new Planet of the Apes films) both writing initial screenplays and/or treatments, only to be later be rewritten by Lawrence Kasdan (Empire and Raiders) for Star Wars and Derek Connolly (Safety not Guaranteed) for Jurassic World.

Now personally, the directing and the screenplay are the two biggest influences on whether a film is out right good or bad. In the case of 'Into Darkness', JJ's directing was competent enough to make the illusion of a good film, while what killed it was a screenplay by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Let it go on record that these were the gentlemen behind the first Star Trek film, Cowboys & Aliens, a draft of Watchmen, Enders Game, two Transformers films, and Amazing Spider-Man 2 (but not 1). Basically, nerd poison. Now, with that in mind, JJ's competent directing and a couple of writers behind the camera, I am actually wearily optimistic for, if not an outright great film, then a good start to a trilogy.

As for both of these films I'm actually hopeful, if pessimistically so, both Star Wars and JW will at least be both watchable, and the best thing in both franchise for years.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Jurassic World and the new Star Wars are both interesting cases of movies that were both 90's phenomenons (according to some second-hand anecdotal evidence, while the fans existed pre-1990, most of it's fandom blew up after the internet),

Wait, what? Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but uh Star Wars already had a huge fandom WAY before the 90s

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I will watch the poo poo out of this just to watch Hugh Jackman. He looks like he's having a blast.

Also it looks very pretty.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 26, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I guess Universal heard all the complaints about "teasers for trailers" and said gently caress it, because they just posted the Jurassic World trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4

Despite some dodgy cgi parkscapes, I kind of dig this.

Is this the movie that will reveal how the xenomorph was invented on Earth by Weyland Yutani?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Wait, what? Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but uh Star Wars already had a huge fandom WAY before the 90s

He mentioned that, but the prequel trilogy reignited the fandom.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Deakul posted:

Let's not forget the Special Editions.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Deakul posted:

Well yeah, it obviously had a massive impact, but the quote was "while the fans existed pre-1990, most of it's fandom blew up after the internet" which is simply not true.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't think anyone has posted the trailer for The Age of Adaline yet. Not that I'd expect goons to care about the film, especially in the middle of trailers dropping for various big budget films, but it might be the worst trailer from a major studio in a while.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think anyone has posted the trailer for The Age of Adaline yet. Not that I'd expect goons to care about the film, especially in the middle of trailers dropping for various big budget films, but it might be the worst trailer from a major studio in a while.

I dunno about going that far. It's definitely aiming for a Benjamin Button type movie- but it looks like it missed the mark.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Really the problem is mostly that Blake Lively isn't any good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Random Stranger posted:

But it has that song from Oblivion on endless repeat :colbert:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Both also have talented scriptwriters behind them, with Star Wars having Michael Arndt (who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3) and Jurassic World had Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (both new Planet of the Apes films) both writing initial screenplays and/or treatments, only to be later be rewritten by Lawrence Kasdan (Empire and Raiders) for Star Wars and Derek Connolly (Safety not Guaranteed) for Jurassic World.

Nothing Michael Arndt wrote will be in the new Star Wars, actually; he had completed a draft that was focused on the generation following the original trilogy (just featuring the older generation), JJ came on, and summarily tossed out Arndt's entire script so he and Kasdan could write one that much more heavily features Luke, Leia, and Han. This happened just a little over a year ago.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Random Stranger posted:

I don't think anyone has posted the trailer for The Age of Adaline yet.

That opening narration had this element of quirkiness to it that reminded me of something like Pushing Daisies, but shittier. Then it turns into a super serious drama about how lovely it is to be immortal or something, like a vampire movie but without any teeth to it (:drac:). It's just such a weird difference in tone between the two. Also Harrison Ford looks a lot younger than he normally looks. Maybe there's a ton of makeup or something.

Also is she going to start aging now that she met the man of her dreams or something?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CaptainHollywood posted:

I dunno about going that far. It's definitely aiming for a Benjamin Button type movie- but it looks like it missed the mark.

It's the badly written narration where they have to explicitly spell out the plot of the movie that does it for me. "It was almost as though something magical happened." "Almost as though" is really lovely writing on its own, but putting that over something magical happening just elevates it. And then it follows that up with pretty much every trailer cliche in the book. The only thing they didn't do was have her jump away from an explosion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Really the problem is mostly that Blake Lively isn't any good.

She was great in The Town.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Alhazred posted:

She was great in The Town.

She was alright in a movie that's just alright.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Jurassic World and the new Star Wars are both interesting cases of movies that were both 90's phenomenons (according to some second-hand anecdotal evidence, while the fans existed pre-1990, most of it's fandom blew up after the internet), both with a string of bad movies post-97, and both coming up with new movies in the next year. As well, both movies have directors that are generally talented but with tepid followings. While JJ Abrams is coming off 'Into Darkness', a film that defines audience backlash, and Colin Trevorrow has 'Safety Not Guaranteed' one decent if unspectacular 'made for Netflix' film to his name. Both also have talented scriptwriters behind them, with Star Wars having Michael Arndt (who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3) and Jurassic World had Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (both new Planet of the Apes films) both writing initial screenplays and/or treatments, only to be later be rewritten by Lawrence Kasdan (Empire and Raiders) for Star Wars and Derek Connolly (Safety not Guaranteed) for Jurassic World.

Now personally, the directing and the screenplay are the two biggest influences on whether a film is out right good or bad. In the case of 'Into Darkness', JJ's directing was competent enough to make the illusion of a good film, while what killed it was a screenplay by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Let it go on record that these were the gentlemen behind the first Star Trek film, Cowboys & Aliens, a draft of Watchmen, Enders Game, two Transformers films, and Amazing Spider-Man 2 (but not 1). Basically, nerd poison. Now, with that in mind, JJ's competent directing and a couple of writers behind the camera, I am actually wearily optimistic for, if not an outright great film, then a good start to a trilogy.

As for both of these films I'm actually hopeful, if pessimistically so, both Star Wars and JW will at least be both watchable, and the best thing in both franchise for years.

I agree with most of this, but 2009 Trek was pretty great.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

teagone posted:

Bryce Dallas Howard in Jurassic World

Fantastopotamus sighting confirmed. Not sure if she sings twice per day.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So Star Wars VII trailer coming via iTunes tomorrow. Not sure if that means midnight though.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's likely either that, or around 7am PST tomorrow as that's when the theater-based teasers start screening on the East Coast.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Random Stranger posted:

Well done on the casting for young Harrison Ford. Kid totally has his smile smirk down

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

PaganGoatPants posted:

So Star Wars VII trailer coming via iTunes tomorrow. Not sure if that means midnight though.

Is this going to be an actual trailer or just a stupid tease thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

schwenz posted:

Is this going to be an actual trailer or just a stupid tease thing?

88 second teaser. Probably 60 seconds of the logo and 20 seconds of a lightsaber being powered on.

• Locked thread