Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Akumu posted:

Well there's the chart from PBS Newshour:

As TPM points out, 6 witnesses said Brown charged at Wilson while 13 witnesses said that Brown had his hands up when when he was shot. So it seems like the witness testimony, in a general sense, is actually balanced in favor of Brown, as opposed to the conventional wisdom that it's the other way around.

I guess the takeaway is that "conventional wisdom" sure is receptive to racist spin when it comes to cops killing black people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Xae posted:

Wait, you're telling me people in this thread are just arguing against each other's Strawmen all day?

From reading this thread all I have gathered is that people are willfully ignorant of any fact that disagrees with their narration and that anyone who disagrees with you is an anarchist/racist.

The last few pages spent arguing over well established facts, the shoplifting, was pretty eye opening to the level of ignorance people in this thread have. I think most people just made up their mind well before hearing any facts.

From examining the evidence/transcripts I wish someone had done a decent job so that we could have definitive answers to our questions. I'm going to to head to Home Depot and send the Ferguson PD a tape measure and some camera batteries.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Xae posted:

Wait, you're telling me people in this thread are just arguing against each other's Strawmen all day?

From reading this thread all I have gathered is that people are willfully ignorant of any fact that disagrees with their narration and that anyone who disagrees with you is an anarchist/racist.

The last few pages spent arguing over well established facts, the shoplifting, was pretty eye opening to the level of ignorance people in this thread have. I think most people just made up their mind well before hearing any facts.

Welcome to internet.

Caros
May 14, 2008

beatlegs posted:

As TPM points out, 6 witnesses said Brown charged at Wilson while 13 witnesses said that Brown had his hands up when when he was shot. So it seems like the witness testimony, in a general sense, is actually balanced in favor of Brown, as opposed to the conventional wisdom that it's the other way around.

I guess the takeaway is that "conventional wisdom" sure is receptive to racist spin when it comes to cops killing black people.

Am I the only person who is weirded out that Wilson was either not asked or didn't have an answer about whether the man he shot had his hands up?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Caros posted:

Am I the only person who is weirded out that Wilson was either not asked or didn't have an answer about whether the man he shot had his hands up?

Are you questioning an officer of the law? That's aggression, citizen.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

From examining the evidence/transcripts I wish someone had done a decent job so that we could have definitive answers to our questions. I'm going to to head to Home Depot and send the Ferguson PD a tape measure and some camera batteries.

It is absolutely true that the PD hosed up. But I'm willing to bet on incompetence, not malice.

At least in Minnesota all officer involved shootings have to be investigated by a different agency, usually the County Sheriff or a State Agency, to make any cove up less likely. Missouri needs to get their poo poo together.

There are good points to be made about police resorting mag dumping anyone who blinks at them wrong, policing standards and reforms but they are getting lost in calling everyone a racist or anarchist.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

My Lil Parachute posted:

...Gotta pity the guy who got robbed....

I feel like there's a sizeable gap in what I know about this case, but what was the owner deprived of in the robbery? How much financial loss did he experience? What did M. Brown say to him during the robbery?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hawkline posted:

I feel like there's a sizeable gap in what I know about this case, but what was the owner deprived of in the robbery? How much financial loss did he experience? What did M. Brown say to him during the robbery?

Rioters looted his store during the First night of uhh.. "Unrest" after the lack of indictment was announced.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Xae posted:

Rioters looted his store during the First night of uhh.. "Unrest" after the lack of indictment was announced.

I guess I should post the entire quote then

quote:

Gotta pity the guy who got robbed, then looted by the people protesting the shooting of the thief
I don't mean the looting. I mean the robbery. There's a lot of narrative going around that M. Brown robbed this guy, but the last time I really checked in on this case there was equivocation on whether or not a robbery had even occured, and whether or not the owner had filed a complaint of any sort. I guess I'm just a bit taken aback that so much of the narrative now includes M. Brown robbing the store [and this being a definite felon] prior to walking the middle of the street and that being approached by Officer Wilson.

I should also add that I think the questions I asked are easily answerable in any case of felony robbery in pretty much any jurisdiction ever.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
The owner definitely didn't report a robbery.

Xae posted:

It is absolutely true that the PD hosed up. But I'm willing to bet on incompetence, not malice.

At least in Minnesota all officer involved shootings have to be investigated by a different agency, usually the County Sheriff or a State Agency, to make any cove up less likely. Missouri needs to get their poo poo together.

There are good points to be made about police resorting mag dumping anyone who blinks at them wrong, policing standards and reforms but they are getting lost in calling everyone a racist or anarchist.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was some conspiracy that everyone was in on. From the transcripts of the measurement and camera battery people, they just sound like idiots.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is I was jumped last year, looked way worse than Wilson did in the pictures submitted as evidence to back up his claims of thinking he was going to be knocked out, and never felt like I was going to be knocked out. Also I did muai thai for a bit so I have some experience getting punched in my stupid face and never looked like someone just applied some rouge on my cheeks after taking a beating. His story just seems like it's complete bullshit to me, and I wish there was definitive evidence to prove it either way.

Like was the road rash on Brown's face deep enough to be consistent with Wilson saying he face planted and his feet flew up in the air?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Caros posted:

I mean, do you think you don't already know the answer?

(And again, those are the interviews, not the testimony to the grand jury. At the grand jury he described the position of Brown's hands.)

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Hawkline posted:

It would be really lovely to watch some kid steal from you and then push and threaten you in your own store.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 28, 2014

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Miltank posted:

It would be really lovely to watch some kid steal from you and then push and threaten you in your own store.

http://sfbayview.com/2014/08/mike-brown-appears-to-have-paid-for-those-cigars/ :shrug: looks like he tried to pay for them and the shop owner assaulted him

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
And his buddy just made up a story about Brown stealing them for no reason, right.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It would be really lovely to be yelled at and hit by some shop owner and then yelled at and shot to death by some cop.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Everyone who is defending the policeman or trying to shift the blame to Michael Brown is a racist rear end in a top hat. There, I said it.

Hmmmmm.......dropped the R word. Don't believe in my opinion your a R... Did you back up you opinion with anything .......no ....why are you here?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dum Cumpster posted:

http://sfbayview.com/2014/08/mike-brown-appears-to-have-paid-for-those-cigars/ :shrug: looks like he tried to pay for them and the shop owner assaulted him

So Johnson lied about him not having any money with him and stealing the cigars?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

beatlegs posted:

The chart only documents what's in the witness statements, not what they said in front of the grand jury. Several of them changed their stories or described something that the evidence completely contradicted.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Dahn posted:

Hmmmmm.......dropped the R word. Don't believe in my opinion your a R... Did you back up you opinion with anything .......no ....why are you here?

whts the r word?

reganmoics?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Miltank posted:

And his buddy just made up a story about Brown stealing them for no reason, right.

Kalman posted:

So Johnson lied about him not having any money with him and stealing the cigars?

I think it's been shown that Johnson is an unreliable witness. Hell, they're trying to bring him up on perjury charges http://www.inquisitr.com/1639235/dorian-johnson-darren-wilson-allies-reportedly-fighting-for-perjury-charges-against-michael-browns-friend/

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Ernie Muppari posted:

whts the r word?

reganmoics?

That's a hell of a word.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Dum Cumpster posted:

It would be really lovely to be yelled at and hit by some shop owner and then yelled at and shot to death by some cop.

lol yes up is down and mike brown was the victim of the tiny little store owner whom he stole from and shoved.

Dum Cumpster posted:

I think it's been shown that Johnson is an unreliable witness. Hell, they're trying to bring him up on perjury charges http://www.inquisitr.com/1639235/dorian-johnson-darren-wilson-allies-reportedly-fighting-for-perjury-charges-against-michael-browns-friend/

so he literally just made the whole story up for no reason then yeah that makes sense.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dum Cumpster posted:

I don't really watch TV news. How much have they been showing this picture?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Miltank posted:

lol yes up is down and mike brown was the victim of the tiny little store owner whom he stole from and shoved.

I'm sorry, do you not agree with the conclusions of the prosecutor?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
yeah I noticed it too. Thats a much nicer picture.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Dum Cumpster posted:

No, they're not. Random people calling for someone to be brought up on perjury charges is not at all the same thing as someone being an unreliable witness.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Kalman posted:

No, they're not. Random people calling for someone to be brought up on perjury charges is not at all the same thing as someone being an unreliable witness.

Then why is everyone stating Wilson's depiction of events as fact?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

yeah I noticed it too. Thats a much nicer picture.

No wait, he's holding up Crips with his left hand. That means "kill cops."

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Dum Cumpster posted:

I'm sorry, do you not agree with the conclusions of the prosecutor?

I'm sorry, I don't know what you are talking about.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dum Cumpster posted:

Man it would be hilarious if the only jail time that comes out of this shooting is the poor guy who watched his friend get gunned down.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Miltank posted:

I'm sorry, I don't know what you are talking about.

As he stated in the press conference, some witnesses, which clearly Johnson is a part of, were proven to be lying by the physical evidence. So we can't trust anything he said.

Sorry, first he is the prosecutor, second is Johnson

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

kazmeyer posted:

The chart only documents what's in the witness statements, not what they said in front of the grand jury. Several of them changed their stories or described something that the evidence completely contradicted.

By "evidence" you mean....

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

Apparently so since he wasn't arrested or even charged for his role in the alleged robbery. Or his apparent role in receiving stolen goods to aid his friend by freeing up his deadly black fists of fury to pummel a 5 year old.

Accessory to robbery, receiving stolen goods, accessory to assault on a police officer. Sound like offenses punishable by death to me.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Yeah, it's funny how Brown's offenses justified his execution by cop, yet his accomplice is allowed to walk the streets a free man.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Dum Cumpster posted:

As he stated in the press conference, some witnesses, which clearly Johnson is a part of, were proven to be lying by the physical evidence. So we can't trust anything he said.

Sorry, first he is the prosecutor, second is Johnson

I don't know man it seems pretty crazy that Johnson would just lie about an incriminating event out of the blue when the exact opposite actually happened. Being a reliable witness to the killing of your friend is pretty different from describing something that happened earlier that day

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

fknlo posted:

Apparently so since he wasn't arrested or even charged for his role in the alleged robbery. Or his apparent role in receiving stolen goods to aid his friend by freeing up his deadly black fists of fury to pummel a 5 year old.

Accessory to robbery, receiving stolen goods, accessory to assault on a police officer. Sound like offenses punishable by death to me.

What role, exactly, did he play in the robbery? Standing there? Handing back cigarillos? I'm just curious.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

beatlegs posted:

Yeah, it's funny how Brown's offenses justified his execution by cop, yet his accomplice is allowed to walk the streets a free man.

Trust me, if the police shot him tomorrow it would be "Mike Brown accomplice Dorian Johnson"

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Miltank posted:

I don't know man it seems pretty crazy that Johnson would just lie about an incriminating event out of the blue when the exact opposite actually happened. Being a reliable witness to the killing of your friend is pretty different from describing something that happened earlier that day

Police have never swayed the statements from an impressionable youth before by threatening charges or consequences that may or may not actually be possible before, either.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Hawkline posted:

Police have never swayed the statements from an impressionable youth before by threatening charges or consequences that may or may not actually be possible before, either.

that makes no sense in the context of what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

Miltank posted:

that makes no sense in the context of what happened.

And how's that?

• Locked thread