Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I agree. Compared to the best things the rest things just don't stand up on their own merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is there some reason we're now playing along with the idea that there are no good comedy films, or something?

I don't know either. Just a dumb opinion.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The humor in Airplane! works on so many different levels.

Example: As a kid, the blow up doll was funny because an inflatable person was flying an airplane. That poo poo's funny. As I grew older it took on an entirely different meaning.

This is me with Ghostbusters. I liked it as a kid, but appreciate a lot of the jokes more as an adult. The I want you inside me bit totally flew over young me.

Also for old school comedies that stand the test of time, Arsenic and Old Lace is from 1944 and remains one of the funniest movies I've seen. I wish they'd stop taking it off streaming services.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I laugh my rear end off at Bringing Up Baby. Last I saw it was on Prime streaming.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Anne Whateley posted:

I laugh my rear end off at Bringing Up Baby. Last I saw it was on Prime streaming.

Yeah, Bringing Up Baby is also a laugh riot.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

In some ways, comedies can hold up better than other genres. I can watch Marx Brothers or the Three Stooges all day, but I have a hard time watching any serious movie from the 30s.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I watched knuckle today and it was great

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Yeah, dramas from the early 30s are really rough. All the best movies from that time period are comedies, horror movies, and gangster movies.

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

cover your flesh... cover your flesh!
I just finished watching Mudbloods last night and it was fantastic. It's a documentary about collegiate Quidditch players... Yes like from Harry Potter. Some of the players haven't even read the HP books, but it looks like a pretty fun sport. It kept me really interested, but it was shot like an episode of Teen Mom or something from MTV which can get annoying.

I'd definitely watch it again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Holy Dread! posted:

I just finished watching Mudbloods last night and it was fantastic. It's a documentary about collegiate Quidditch players... Yes like from Harry Potter. Some of the players haven't even read the HP books, but it looks like a pretty fun sport. It kept me really interested, but it was shot like an episode of Teen Mom or something from MTV which can get annoying.

How do they reconcile the fact that flying brooms aren't loving real?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Holy Dread! posted:

I'm an incredibly dorky person and even I was embarrassed for those people running around on an empty field on toy brooms playing a "sport" made up for a series of children's books.

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

Yaws posted:

I'm an incredibly dorky person and even I was embarrassed for those people running around on an empty field on toy brooms playing a "sport" made up for a series of children's books.

The more embarrassing part was how the World Cup organizer dressed and acted, he was straight out of the A/U/G thread.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

That Works posted:

How do they reconcile the fact that flying brooms aren't loving real?

I'm more curious how they reconcile the fact that the Seekers render all the other players, and therefor the entire game, completely pointless. And on a lesser note, how Bludgers work.

And no, I'm not curious enough to actually watch the drat film.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

dik-dik posted:

Yeah I mean it can be fun to sit down and watch a comedy with friends. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some humorless prick who lacks the ability to laugh (well, not entirely). I just don't think they're particularly memorable and even the best comedy movies are usually poo poo compared to decent comedy television (Bob's Burgers, Parks & Rec, Archer, Arrested Development, Always Sunny, early Community, to name a few shows currently on Netflix).

E: Okay yeah Dr. Strangelove rocked. Peter Sellers is one of the few actors capable of making good, memorable comedic films.

Also Airplane! just seems like a classic example of pandering to the lowest common denominator, which can be fun for action flicks but is insufferable for comedies, imo.

You can't really complain about pandering to the lowest common denominator at the same time as calling Archer decent television.

(I liked Archer but it's not exactly high brow)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Much like how wizarding currency was a satire of the ridiculousness of British pounds and their many denominations, Quidditch was making fun of the impenetrable rules and customs of cricket. Complaining that it's unrealistic or doesn't "make sense" is as wrongheaded as trying to play it for real.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I've attempted to watch cricket out of curiosity but I was not convinced they were speaking English.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Much like how wizarding currency was a satire of the ridiculousness of British pounds and their many denominations, Quidditch was making fun of the impenetrable rules and customs of cricket. Complaining that it's unrealistic or doesn't "make sense" is as wrongheaded as trying to play it for real.

The problem with that statement is that the series never presents it as a satire, but frequently uses it as an event of major dramatic importance, or as the setting for events of major dramatic importance. Satire only works if everyone is in on the joke, and that fact that the series itself never seems to be in on it, placing conflicts with dire stakes within an absolutely absurd backdrop, while expecting the audience to take the drama seriously, is a valid criticism.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Yeah, Wes Anderson knows how to properly make a joke about cricket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvXKmffeMkU

Quidditch by contrast just comes off as more :airquote: world building

Holy Dread!
Nov 17, 2006

Paper Kaiju posted:

I'm more curious how they reconcile the fact that the Seekers render all the other players, and therefor the entire game, completely pointless. And on a lesser note, how Bludgers work.

And no, I'm not curious enough to actually watch the drat film.

The seeker is only worth 30 pts and seems to be a kid that will hide/dress in costume and run to the other side of campus.

Bludgers have four square balls and try to hit other players with the ball, if they get hit they have to drop the ball and go back and touch their goalpost, so it's kind of like dodgeball. The weird thing is that it's also full contact so you see some pretty hard rugbyesque hits in some plays.

I am now regretting the fact that I watch this because I know all of this useless poo poo. DAMMIT.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Holy Dread! posted:

The seeker is only worth 30 pts and seems to be a kid that will hide/dress in costume and run to the other side of campus.

Bludgers have four square balls and try to hit other players with the ball, if they get hit they have to drop the ball and go back and touch their goalpost, so it's kind of like dodgeball. The weird thing is that it's also full contact so you see some pretty hard rugbyesque hits in some plays.

I am now regretting the fact that I watch this because I know all of this useless poo poo. DAMMIT.

Ugh... just... christ

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
My friends and I used to play "Mechs" when I was 12 by climbing into cardboard wardrobe boxes and running at each other and colliding at full speed. At no time did I convince myself it was a serious sport, or complain that no one took my sport seriously as nearly everyone in that Quidditch documentary does.

It's good cringe, so I'll give it that.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Why is the bar at the bottom so big? Is there a way I can change it back?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Good Eats is a Good Show and wish there was more than 25 random episodes on streaming.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

wafflesnsegways posted:

Yeah, dramas from the early 30s are really rough. All the best movies from that time period are comedies, horror movies, and gangster movies.

I recently watched The Good Earth and when you say 30s dramas don't hold up, the Yellowface in that movie is loving absurd. Take a look at the Best Picture lists from the 30s and pick out the dramas, its like 50/50 poo poo/good.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Caught Sabotage and End of Watch. After seeing these and Fury in the theaters and also realizing he directed Training Day, David Ayer is one of my new favorite directors. Sabotage was a loving ride man. Not really a good movie, but holy gently caress is it fun to watch.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
The best running joke in Airplane! and the one that most people don't even notice is the fact that through the entire loving movie the engine sounds of a jet are replaced with prop sounds and its loving hilarious, and if you don't think so you're just wrong.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

drunken officeparty posted:

Good Eats is a Good Show and wish there was more than 25 random episodes on streaming.

It's ingenious on Food Networks part and yet infuriating as all hell. Since there's no plot they can just choose random episodes from each season and let you watch it without having to worry about missing plot or story arcs. But if you want more you've actually got to pony up for the series. They did the same thing with Chopped and Cutthroat kitchen which I also enjoyed. And which I will also never buy streams or dvds of.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

cary grant movies are usually solid. and jimmy stewart. what i'm really trying to say is watch every hitchcock movie with those dudes

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I saw Stretch while working on other things this eve. It's pretty dumb and very style-over-substance but I still enjoyed it. Patrick Wilson really carried it, and I liked his whole schtick with Ed Helms. Also, is Chris Pine just a huge fan of being in lighthearted crime movies with cartoonish action scenes or something?

I also watched Killing Them Softly and didn't dislike it, I guess. It seemed like someone told the screenwriter that a movie being slow, meandering and prone to tangents is what makes it great so he just did that as much as possible, but then every time I started thinking it might be clever the absolutely ham-fisted bits with Obama's economic crisis speeches would come back up and poo poo all over the scene.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 28, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

Pretty sure almost all of 'Good Eats' is on youtube.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Why is the bar at the bottom so big? Is there a way I can change it back?

In this order, try a different browser, reinstall Silverlight (if you're not using the HTML5 player), live with it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

That Works posted:

Pretty sure almost all of 'Good Eats' is on youtube.

With Alton Brown's unofficial blessing, similar to how Joel Robinson encouraged MST3K tape trading.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Caught Sabotage and End of Watch. After seeing these and Fury in the theaters and also realizing he directed Training Day, David Ayer is one of my new favorite directors.

Antoine Fuqua directed Training Day. Ayer wrote it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It really really shows that Ayer only co-wrote Sabotage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In a move seemingly designed to make Netflix worthless forever, it looks like they're pulling Monkey Shines and Night of the Creeps on Monday. Plus a lot of other stuff, I guess:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/are-movies-coming-netflix-december-752465

quote:

Leaving Netflix on 12/1

1941 (1979)
The Apostle (1997)
Audrey Rose (1977)
The Believers (1987)
Better than Chocolate (1999)
Blood & Chocolate (2007)
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (2008)
Chaplin (1992)
The Choirboys (1977)
The Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County (1970)
Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)
The Cold Light of Day (1996)
The Constant Gardener (2005)
Count Yorga, Vampire (1970)
Cry-Baby (1990)
Dirty Dancing (1987)
Double Indemnity (1944)
En la Cama (2005)
Event Horizon (1997)
Eye for an Eye (1996)
Fairy Tale: A True Story (1997)
First Knight (1995)
Five Easy Pieces (1970)
Foreign Student (1994)
Free Men (2011)
Funny Lady (1975)
The Ghost and Mrs Muir (1947)
The Girl from Petrovka (1974)
Going Berserk (1983)
The Great Waldo Pepper (1975)
House of Voices (2004)
How to Frame a Figg (1971)
I’m Not Rappaport (1996)
Imagining Argentina (2003)
Invaders from Mars (1986)
Ishtar (1987)
Joe Gould’s Secret (2000)
Joe Kidd (1972)
Johnny Mnemonic (1995)
Killer at Large (2008)
King of the Hill (1993)
Lonely Hearts (2006)
Magic Trip (2011)
Magicians (2007)
Mission: Impossible III (2006)
Minnie and Moskowitz (1971)
Monkey Shines (1988)
Mr. Mom (1983)
‘night Mother (1986)
Night of the Creeps (1986)
An Officer and a Gentleman (1982)
Opal Dream (2006)
The Other Side of the Mountain (1975)
The Other Side of the Mountain, Part 2 (1978)
Our City Dreams (2008)
The Paper Chase (1973)
Paradise Alley (1978)
The Parole Officer (2001)
The Pirates of Penzance (1983)
Prairie Love (2011)
The Presidio (1988)
The Promise (1979)
The Proposition (1998)
Reds (1981)
The Return of Count Yorga (1971)
RoboCop 2 (1990)
School Ties (1992)
The Sci-Fi Boys (2006)
The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
Spice World (1998)
Star Trek: Generations (1994)
Swashbuckler (1976)
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
They Might Be Giants (1971)
The Untouchables (1987)
The Vampire Lovers (1970)
Walker (1987)
Year of the Horse: Neil Young & Crazy Horse Live (1997)
Young Sherlock Holmes (1985)

It seems like they just put Robocop 2 up there a few months ago.

They're also adding some stuff over the course of the month. The Wolf of Wallstreet being probably the biggest deal.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Watch Walker before it's taken off.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

And they'll add a ton of stuff that aren't mentioned on any website, too.

And if you've got Amazon Prime, odds are a lot of those will be on there next month.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's Netflix's fault for denying people access to the API and also not announcing a drat thing when they put it up except for 3-4 things they want to call attention to.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Which makes it more fun to go looking around for new stuff added every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This argument about 80s comedies is making me really look forward to reading the internet in 2050 and seeing the passionate arguments about what timeless classics We're The Millers and Click are.

Jack Gladney posted:

It seems like they just put Robocop 2 up there a few months ago.

Jacob's Ladder had it really bad, I think it went up and got taken down over the course of a month.

• Locked thread