Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

BBJoey posted:

e: also what the gently caress, has anybody had their key bindings change literally mid-game? One moment I'll be alt+tabbed and the next moment my throttle will be at 0% and my keybinds will be reset to (mostly) default.
Yep. Had some of my keys unbind themselves between dying in one tank and spawning in another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Roumba posted:

Yep. Had some of my keys unbind themselves between dying in one tank and spawning in another.

I had my up/down keys swap and zoom became lock view on target. Which was disorientating until I tried to pull up and instead smashed into the ground.

Oh gaijin.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Sard posted:

I just had a 15 minute dogfight with an A6M3 in my Yak-9 and I'm pretty sure this is what it would feel like to be in that Paths of Hate animation.
Jesus christ, don't look that thing up if you want to have a happy day. You're not going to have a happy day after watching that.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sard posted:

I just had a 15 minute dogfight with an A6M3 in my Yak-9 and I'm pretty sure this is what it would feel like to be in that Paths of Hate animation. Even had a moment where we rolled around each other in almost slow motion- engines at 0, flaps down- cockpits meters apart before revving back up. It ended with him flipping over on his runway and the game depleting their tickets, but despite critting him with a strafe as I flew over with my last rounds, I never got credited the kill, nor he credited me as AAA set my plane on fire and it burnt up with the screen fading.

:vince:

Getting sweet deflection shots on your first pass is good poo poo, but I don't think there's anything more satisfying in this game than coming out victorious from a protracted dogfight between (at least close to) equals.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Mithaldu posted:

Jesus christ, don't look that thing up if you want to have a happy day. You're not going to have a happy day after watching that.

Such a good film if you just pretend it ends at six minutes with them flying away, the rest is just argggh "did you get my cleverly hidden message?~" bullshit.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Lol, those wings... in WT you wouldnt be able to stay airborne with those, let alone do any kind of maneuvering.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

BBJoey posted:

I remember there was a famous Japanese movie about WW2 that was interpreted by critics as a sobering view at the way war affects civilian families and in particular children, but then the director came out and said "no you idiots it's about how kids back then were brave and kids now are pussies".

e: also what the gently caress, has anybody had their key bindings change literally mid-game? One moment I'll be alt+tabbed and the next moment my throttle will be at 0% and my keybinds will be reset to (mostly) default.

Yea it happened to me yesterday. Based on what you are saying, and my experience it is altering the same keys for us both. My throttle and elevator keys got swapped, zoom swapped to look at target, and hold for WEP got toggled off.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
RB Jet Test Flight Report (I don't own any jets):
A: Brakes held with gradual throttle up, then full throttle when brakes slip. No flaps.
B: Mash WEP. No flaps.

R2D2 w/ full fuel + bomb
A)Clear the trees, no problem.
B)Graze tree tops.

Meteor F. Mk.3 w/ full fuel
A)Lift off just before first taxiway.
B)Lift off at first taxiway.

Yak-15 w/ full fuel
A)Lift off at second tower on the left.
B)Lift off about the same place?

Mig-9 w/ full fuel
A)Lift off just before first road.
B)Liff off just before second road.

F9F-2 w/ full fuel + rockets
A)Lift off after second to last hanger.
B)Lift off after second to last hanger.

P-80A w/ full fuel + rockets
A)poo poo.
B)poo poo.

We see that in RB, the difference in efficacy of Gradual over Mash ranges from marginal to dubious on aircraft and situations tested.

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 27, 2014

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I got my cannons button switched to look backwards, needless to say that didn't end well.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
is the F84B just a lovely jet or what. I've got all the engine related upgrades and it still feels like I get dominated by everything else out there. Even the wiki on it says it was a piece of poo poo

the Thunderjet was plagued by so many structural and engine problems that a 1948 U.S. Air Force review declared it unable to execute any aspect of its intended mission and considered canceling the program. The aircraft was not considered fully operational until the 1949 F-84D

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's just a lovely jet.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Narwhal
A) Takes off just fine

229 which happens to weigh just as much as the Narwhal, using the same engines
A) Hahaha give this fucker an airstart already drat

Arado pre-airstart
A) yo those trees and buildings better be wide enough for me

Dogfather
May 31, 2008

I applied the :canada: roundel decal the same way on my pbj.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The current event is a bit weird:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

229 which happens to weigh just as much as the Narwhal, using the same engines
A) Hahaha give this fucker an airstart already drat
It sucks, but I got it to takeoff just fine (on one of the lovely Kuban airfields no less) by just holding the brakes until it began moving at 100%.
First flight, fully stock so... :shrug:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The current event is a bit weird:

Got to shoot at a Po-2 in a Sabre, 10/10 event.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

AceRimmer posted:

It sucks, but I got it to takeoff just fine (on one of the lovely Kuban airfields no less) by just holding the brakes until it began moving at 100%.
First flight, fully stock so... :shrug:

J out and quit to hangar if you get Norway, always.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

AceRimmer posted:

Got to shoot at a Po-2 in a Sabre, 10/10 event.
They just fixed the awesome "event". gently caress you Gaijin. :smith:

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

We still came about 5mm from losing. american-arcade.jpg

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So the Romanian He 112 B-2 you get if you bought at least three packs at some point in all your time playing this game owns. It's another clone of the B-1 just like the A7He1, which means it's fun as heck to fly. And sits at BR 2.3 instead of the ridiculous BR 3.0 of the other two.

The fact that the engine chokes easily, it only has two MG FF, and those make the plane buck wildly when firing are not flaws, they are why it is very fun to fly and anyone who got it should give it some attention.

e: What the gently caress, actually the He 112 B-1 is BR 3.0 in all modes while the A7He1 is 3.0 in arcade, 2.7 in RB, and 2.3 in SB.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Infinite Monkeys posted:

We still came about 5mm from losing. american-arcade.jpg

But teams in arcade aren't nation-based :confused:

Sard posted:

e: What the gently caress, actually the He 112 B-1 is BR 3.0 in all modes while the A7He1 is 3.0 in arcade, 2.7 in RB, and 2.3 in SB.

Yeah didn't you know the He 112 is superior to the Bf 109? :downs:

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

BBJoey posted:

But teams in arcade aren't nation-based :confused:
Just meant that I was in an american plane and they are unbelievably overpowered. It almost feels like cheating.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Just meant that I was in an american plane and they are unbelievably overpowered. It almost feels like cheating.

At T2-ish the US is amazingly powerful in arcade - there are very few 20mm planes, which most pilots at that level don't fly well, and the ~6 .50 cals just tear everything apart

That stops at T3, pretty much

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah T3 America is rough, because you have to rely on the underpowered King Cobras and the Corsair D to get you through

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Branis posted:

is the F84B just a lovely jet or what. I've got all the engine related upgrades and it still feels like I get dominated by everything else out there. Even the wiki on it says it was a piece of poo poo

the Thunderjet was plagued by so many structural and engine problems that a 1948 U.S. Air Force review declared it unable to execute any aspect of its intended mission and considered canceling the program. The aircraft was not considered fully operational until the 1949 F-84D

It's a bit puzzling that they chose the F-84B and not the F-84E or G, seeing as those where the major production models.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Edit: Nevermind, weird stuff.

Target Practice fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 28, 2014

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Target Practice posted:

Okay I know I've bought enough to have both and I see my Peashooter. Is the B-2 a German plane, cause I can't find poo poo.

It's German.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It seems you have to buy another pack, even if you own 80% of the packs in the list, to get the german plane.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
It seems they changed the scoreboard/chat to whatever you set the colors:

:gay:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

:thumbsup:

Max Manus posted:

It's a bit puzzling that they chose the F-84B and not the F-84E or G, seeing as those where the major production models.

Not surprising, considering they have the B-17E instead of the much more numerous B-17F. And probably a dozen other examples, because Gaijin are bad at picking production versions.

Azran posted:

It seems you have to buy another pack, even if you own 80% of the packs in the list, to get the german plane.

I have it and I haven't bought any packs in forever. :confused:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I've previously bought the Peshka pack, the Ace pack, and the weird super cheap double campaign bundle that you could only get in game for a long time before they finally removed it. I had both planes available to me when I logged in.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Nope, even after relogging I only have the P26. My German roster displays the normal premium He-112, the Falco and the He.51

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Finally got the SU-152 and immediately blew a Panther's turret out through his rear end in a top hat. Tank recommended.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Finally got the SU-152 and immediately blew a Panther's turret out through his rear end in a top hat. Tank recommended.

I'm guessing you mean ISU-152, because the SU-152 is a pile of poo poo because of the insane reload time. Awesome, I can kill a single tank every 40 seconds! Assuming that single tank doesn't notice me and pop me immediately because of the idiotic spotting mechanics. Which it will. And the SU-152 doesn't face Panthers and gets popped by PzIIIs. Or PzIIs. Or anything with a gun, really.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Some random stuff from last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28cqFsF7-cw&hd=1

There was some discussion about just how blind deflection shots are in cockpit view and this video has a couple examples of that. The last one is hard to see but is pretty much what a normal BnZ attack would look like in RB.

edit: this should be easier to see - http://giant.gfycat.com/TeemingNauticalIrrawaddydolphin.webm

Once you get used to pixel hunting the view mechanics in SB are really awesome if you want to kill people before they even see you coming. In that round with the Corsair we were lucky to have the sun right behind our spawn which can make you literally invisible if lined up correctly unless you are very, very close. A funny thing about SB is that players will often engage an unidentified target only to realize at the last moment that it is a friendly and break off. It's a big reason why spergs hate premium planes because silhouettes are the easiest way to figure out who's who before you're in range for any UI icons (or lack thereof when hostile) to show up. You can often get away with using large ridiculous decals to cover the yellow tail/stripe of the German La-5/Yak and :commissar: Russians with it so long as you don't show them your bright belly.

Thief fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 28, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Thief posted:

Some random :words:

Psst! Hey you! Yes you! That guy who owns the D.521. Yes it's FM has changed (a bit). Go fly it. You'll like* it.

*liking not guaranteed.

EDIT
It's a 109 G2, so it's just slightly worse than the 109 F4 ;). Seriously: It's a good plane, and will give any plane it faces a serious headache. Use the 109 G2/Trop to test wether you like it.

vvvv

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 28, 2014

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Hows that Romanian G2? Price has been cut in the sale so thinking of picking it up.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Ludicro posted:

Hows that Romanian G2? Price has been cut in the sale so thinking of picking it up.

It's a premium G-2. If you love the G-2/trop you'll love it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

fwiw, that's the plane i've been using during daily doubles to unlock jets because the bonuses really add up when you're averaging at least 3 kills a game thanks to flying the best german fighter at era III instead of IV against F-80s and F8Fs and actually having to work for your points.

The only premium 109 that is "better" is the :patriot: one because not only are you killing other players with their own plane but Norway is a common map that gives you an airstart that makes you literally untouchable, like Battle of Britain is for regular 109s except you see it way more often.

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
You could also talisman a Bf 109 F-4 (980 gold). That's "cheaper" than the package but the package might be the better deal. Especially if you do want to use gunpods. the 109 G2 gets the 20mm gunpods, while the 109 F4 has to make do with the 15mm pods. Though even without pods the ammo loadout is good for 4 kills.

EDIT
So basically:
109 F4: Better handling than G2
109 G2: Climbs to 4km altitude within 3 minutes, 20mm gunpods and a bit faster than F4.

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 28, 2014

• Locked thread