Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

repeating posted:

Protests have literally never done a single thing.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not, since this is the new D&D I assume you are being sarcastic.

In America, in the last 2 decades I would wholeheartly say yes protests have not accomplished anything. Think back on the last big protests

Occupy Wall Street - A lot of noise, nothing changed, no lasting effect.
Anti-War Protests under Bush - I would say this had a negative effect, reasonable people were grouped in with the idiot element and dismissed.
Anti-Globalization during the G8 Summits - Kicked off the public turning against protests and kids who just wanted to bust up a Starbucks, also lead to a lot of police militarization. Thanks for that! How effective was that at stopping or slowing globalization?

Foma fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Iowa Snow King posted:

Man, when you find out people are saying petty theft justifies summary execution you're gonna laugh your fuckin' head off

Hey, maybe he's a nice person who just had a bad day, or was just a bit rude.

Also, you're now calling it a summary execution? Like the cop ordered him to his knees then calmly shot him in the back of the head?

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 28, 2014

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

spacetoaster posted:

Hey, maybe he's a nice person who just had a bad day, or was just a bit rude.

I think you're really missing the point of that post, spacetoaster.

What level of criminal activity do you think justifies an expeditious death? I'm assuming that your answer to that includes robbery.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Pomp posted:

"Please don't destroy some property over two black people killed by police a week :(" - white people

edit:this was poorly worded but you know what I mean.

Won't someone think of the inanimate objects?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Don't worry Foma, young black boys are learning your lessons well.

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I saw this I think the day before yesterday and it broke my heart, too.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

SedanChair posted:

You seem to just want to snipe and snark, not actually discuss anything.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rollofthedice posted:

I think you're really missing the point of that post, spacetoaster.

What level of criminal activity do you think justifies an expeditious death? I'm assuming that your answer to that includes robbery.

I have never said anything like that. If you're mad at other posters, or projecting (you have already posted your assumptions based on nothing), stop it. I'm just amazed that people think that committing serious crime(s) is just a case of a nice guy having a bad moment.

As to my personal opinion about what justifies expeditious death? Trying to kill or seriously injure a person who isn't a threat to you or anyone else. And I mean this generally. I'm having trouble cutting through the BS on this case because we have people on one side claiming that a man was summarily executed by this cop and others saying there was some kind of drugged up superman intent on murdering the cop.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Foma posted:

What? He's agreeing with you, right? He doesn't want to cause you any trouble.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Foma posted:

Wait, are you actually arguing in good faith? I jumped to this page and assumed you were part of the parade of trolls, but I guess you're just dumb?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Foma posted:

oh no not in the forum for debate and discussion

what will we do?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

spacetoaster posted:

I have never said anything like that. If you're mad at other posters, or projecting (you have already posted your assumptions based on nothing), stop it. I'm just amazed that people think that committing serious crime(s) is just a case of a nice guy having a bad moment.

I'm sorry for misinterpreting you, and I now understand and even sort of agree!

But I'm also not sure whether that's an important point to be making or not.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Everyday Lurker posted:

So we've run into the Claudette Colvin problem - a flawed character eventually dismissed in favor of Rosa Parks because she wasn't the perfect symbol to rally around. Mike Brown's suspected theft of a few cigarillos not only disqualifies him from being rallied around, but it also justifies Darren Wilson's eventual actions.

I feel bad for his mother and father. First your son gets shot up by some rear end in a top hat cop who gets off scot-free, and now people are running around saying your son was a thug, a "demon" and a criminal who deserved to get shot.

I'm seriously at a loss about why John Crawford got shot down while doing literally nothing wrong, with video footage of the whole thing that could not be taken as him being in any way threatening to anybody, and hardly a whisper was made about it. He wasn't smoking pot, hadn't shoved around walmart employees on tape, didn't get in a fistfight with any cops, there's nothing for anyone to point at and say, 'Well he probably shared some responsibility...'

John Crawford's shooting is a loving slam-dunk for anyone wanting to highlight the wrongs of the police in dealing with minorities. You could not ask for a more direct and concise situation. But instead, people are rallying around a murky as gently caress deal with Brown with no recordings, contradictory witnesses, evidence on the scene supporting the cop's account that he was moving towards the cop while being shot, and pot in his system just for the 'His judgment was obviously impaired' icing on the cake.

That will go nowhere. The people who believe that Brown picked a fight with an H&K and paid the price for being stupid are not ever going to revise their opinion no matter how many protests happen, and there's not going to be any evidence to sway them. They're just going to dig in harder while the looting 'proves' to them that blacks are all about looting and burning poo poo while trying to claim that their dead store-robbing cop-punching reefer madness thugs were perfect sweet angels. It's a waste of time and energy to pursue Wilson at this point. People should be allocating their effort to seeing the cops who gunned down Crawford having to take responsibility for their actions.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

spacetoaster posted:

Yep, I'm pretty stupid (BTW I will stop saying he choked the clerk and just say assaulted).

But do you also think that robbery and assault are just things nice people do on whilst having a "bad" day? :smuggo:

Why say assault when you can say shove, or forcefully shoved aside, or even violently shoved? One is more descriptive and accurate than the other. There's literally no reason to say "assault" instead of "shove" unless you want to intentionally muddy the waters and use the most incendiary language. And you very obviously do, or else you wouldn't have made up "choking" out of thin air, because no one reasonably would call a shove that touches someones neck and upper body a "choke". So no, I'm not gonna use your language because it's dumb exaggerated bullshit you're merely parroting said by someone smarter and more cynical than you.

It's like "strong arm robbery". There's literally no reason to use that term except it sounds more violent, the general public didn't know what a loving "strong arm robbery" was before Ferguson, and it doesn't describe what happened. Brown tried to shoplift. The clerk/owner came at him to try and stop him leaving, touched Brown, who shoved the guy aside, then threateningly walked towards him for a second as if to say "don't gently caress with me". That's a description, not "he engaged in an assault and a strong arm robbery", which is basically jargony bullshit you have no business saying if you're not a cop or an attorney or pretending to be one.

It's irrelevant whether Brown is a "nice person". He was a person with a family and people that cared about him and a decently promising future, whose life has weight under the law. He also did not have a criminal record. It's an asinine question, that betrays a desire to smear the victim. The repercussions for having a "bad day" are to face the legal system. If someone snaps and commits assault and battery, then they face assault and battery charges. The whole point of a just legal system is to treat "bad people" fairly.

Periodiko fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 28, 2014

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

oh no not in the forum for debate and discussion

what will we do?

No-content post?

On a serious note, I'd like to mention some of the details of the case. Let me know if any of these are disputed:

~Mike Brown had a confrontation with the clerk at the store. It's not entirely clear what actually happened because there's no audio, and Dorian Johnson doesn't appear to be the most reliable witness ever.
~Darren Wilson was part of a police department disbanded for misconduct
~Choking and pushing are just a wee bit different
~The timeline Wilson describes does not match the reality of the timing of the shots, per the online chat grab with the shots in the background audio
~Wilson felt like a "5 year old" in the grip of the evil Balrog Mike Brown
~Wilson asked himself specifically "Can I legally shoot him?"
~Brown was a human being who wasn't perfect
~Wilson is not an inhuman monster. He's a product of police training that is waaaaaaaaay off-base. They trained him to operate exactly as he did.
~Apparently there is a lack of gun maintenance among American cops.
~Brown was either charging at Wilson like a man on fire, stopped, or falling to the ground, mortally injured, when the fatal shot was fired. You don't get shot in the top of the skull while running away.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Brown wasn't hulking through the shots, Wilson is just a scrub who didn't realize Brown had the meter for an EX Dash Punch.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Rollofthedice posted:

I'm sorry for misinterpreting you, and I now understand and even sort of agree!

But I'm also not sure whether that's an important point to be making or not.

It's not THAT important, but I think it is a little bit relevant.

There is a guy who was killed, hyperbole and rhetoric aren't really going to advance the discussion. Unless it's all ironic. :rimshot:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Valatar posted:

I'm seriously at a loss about why John Crawford got shot down while doing literally nothing wrong, with video footage of the whole thing that could not be taken as him being in any way threatening to anybody, and hardly a whisper was made about it. He wasn't smoking pot, hadn't shoved around walmart employees on tape, didn't get in a fistfight with any cops, there's nothing for anyone to point at and say, 'Well he probably shared some responsibility...'

John Crawford's shooting is a loving slam-dunk for anyone wanting to highlight the wrongs of the police in dealing with minorities. You could not ask for a more direct and concise situation. But instead, people are rallying around a murky as gently caress deal with Brown with no recordings, contradictory witnesses, evidence on the scene supporting the cop's account that he was moving towards the cop while being shot, and pot in his system just for the 'His judgment was obviously impaired' icing on the cake.

That will go nowhere. The people who believe that Brown picked a fight with an H&K and paid the price for being stupid are not ever going to revise their opinion no matter how many protests happen, and there's not going to be any evidence to sway them. They're just going to dig in harder while the looting 'proves' to them that blacks are all about looting and burning poo poo while trying to claim that their dead store-robbing cop-punching reefer madness thugs were perfect sweet angels. It's a waste of time and energy to pursue Wilson at this point. People should be allocating their effort to seeing the cops who gunned down Crawford having to take responsibility for their actions.

It's a mistake to think protests like happened in Ferguson are only about one incident. It's about a community that lost total faith in the people who were supposed to be policing it long before the straw broke the camel's back.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

spacetoaster posted:

Thank you for the compliment, but no, I'm not a perfect person.

And it's extremely funny to me that you think robbery and assault are just something nice people do when they have a bad day.

Very convenient to make that accusation when the perpetrator was fatally gunned down before said charges could actually be filed against him.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Periodiko posted:

Why say assault when you can say shove, or forcefully shoved aside, or even violently shoved? One is more descriptive and accurate than the other. There's literally no reason to say "assault" instead of "shove" unless you want to intentionally muddy the waters and use the most incendiary language. And you very obviously do, or else you wouldn't have made up "choking" out of thin air, because no one reasonably would call a shove that touches someones neck and upper body a "choke". So no, I'm not gonna use your language because it's dumb exaggerated bullshit you're merely parroting said by someone smarter and more cynical than you.

Actually, I used the word assault because that's an actual legal term that applies. I thought it would clear things up.

The choking wasn't out of thin air, it was in somebodies previous post and I really shouldn't use gifs to corroborate stuff and I admitted my error and changed it.

But hey, you're smarter than me and obviously more cynical so good for you. :shrug:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

repeating posted:

Protests have literally never done a single thing.

How does it feel to be so stupid?

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Pohl posted:

How does it feel to be so stupid?

How does it feel to not get such an obvious joke? Calm yourself.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

repeating posted:

How does it feel to not get such an obvious joke? Calm yourself.

I just realized that, sorry. I was going to edit but you beat me to it.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

repeating posted:

~Wilson is not an inhuman monster. He's a product of police training that is waaaaaaaaay off-base. They trained him to operate exactly as he did.
~Apparently there is a lack of gun maintenance among American cops.

Speaking only to these two, my opinion is that Wilson panicked rather than behaved in any particular trained fashion. I think he was used to people just doing whatever he said because of his being a cop, was caught off-guard by someone willing to punch him, and promptly lost his poo poo in pants-peeing terror. The adrenaline dump at suddenly finding yourself in a fight makes people do stupid things, and while you'd think someone handed a gun by the government and told they can use it would have undergone some training at dealing with the effects of an unexpected confrontation, that really doesn't seem to be the case with cops. They're not nearly sufficiently trained on how to keep cool when things go to hell, or at least most of them aren't.

As for the second, there's a somewhat scary lack of marksmanship among cops too. The local department only has to qualify on a firing range once a year. The fact that Wilson had to empty his magazine into someone who was moving towards him in a straight line to get a lucky shot to the head really illustrates that fact. Many cops are not proficient with their sidearms, and that's really not good if you happen to be a bystander when one decides to start spraying bullets.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

beatlegs posted:

Very convenient to make that accusation when the perpetrator was fatally gunned down before said charges could actually be filed against him.

I guess it's possible that Brown was just hanging out in that store and didn't do anything. But you did just refer to him a the "perpetrator".

beatlegs posted:

Yeah, it's funny how Brown's offenses justified his execution by cop, yet his accomplice is allowed to walk the streets a free man.

But what offenses are you talking about? Accomplice to what, exactly?

beatlegs posted:

Oh so you're one of those perfect people who have never done a rude or lovely thing in their life eh?

And what rude and lovely things are you thinking brown did?

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's a mistake to think protests like happened in Ferguson are only about one incident. It's about a community that lost total faith in the people who were supposed to be policing it long before the straw broke the camel's back.

This is true, you raise a good point. I was speaking more of the national scene than the local scene; the people in Ferguson have a pretty clear reason to be pissed about the local police given their track record.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Actually, I used the word assault because that's an actual legal term that applies. I thought it would clear things up.

The choking wasn't out of thin air, it was in somebodies previous post and I really shouldn't use gifs to corroborate stuff and I admitted my error and changed it.

But hey, you're smarter than me and obviously more cynical so good for you. :shrug:

He assaulted the shop keeper but he obviously wasn't trying to kill him.
Can we just keep it real? He hosed up the shopkeepers day, but in all honesty, he did not hurt him. This shouldn't even be a topic of conversation unless we are talking about the cop knowing what happened.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pohl posted:

He assaulted the shop keeper but he obviously wasn't trying to kill him.
Can we just keep it real? He hosed up the shopkeepers day, but in all honesty, he did not hurt him. This shouldn't even be a topic of conversation unless we are talking about the cop knowing what happened.

Agreed.

Okay, didn't the cop know about the robbery? My understanding from the timeline is that the call for the robbery and a description of brown went out over the radio and wilson heard it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Agreed.

Okay, didn't the cop know about the robbery? My understanding from the timeline is that the call for the robbery and a description of brown went out over the radio and wilson heard it.

The police statement where they revealed the robbery came several days after the murder, when they had plenty of time to get their story straight, and they still denied that Wilson connected Brown to the robbery.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

spacetoaster posted:

Agreed.

that's in question, because in the initial weeks the cops claimed wilson had no knowledge of the robbery. they changed their story after a couple of weeks and really didn't give an explanation.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Condiv posted:

that's in question, because in the initial weeks the cops claimed wilson had no knowledge of the robbery. they changed their story after a couple of weeks and really didn't give an explanation.

Okay, but that's a direct conflict with the live announcement they made when the grand jury was done. I watched the thing and the guy gave a detailed timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-6UcOkV1U

at 12:00 is when the timeline starts

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Santa is giving Ferguson an executive holiday order declaring everyone - cop, citizen, whatever - officially a 'Good Person' and will make it rain with consumer goods and we should all follow the example of Jesus and do the same. AGC. :unsmith:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Valatar posted:

You don't get to pick which straw breaks the camel's back. Besides, it happened in a place that's been a literal tinderbox for an explosion decades in the making.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Okay, but that's a direct conflict with the live announcement they made when the grand jury was done. I watched the thing and the guy gave a detailed timeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-6UcOkV1U

at 12:00 is when the timeline starts

We don't know. What I do know is that press conference was a disaster and a leading cause to the riots. Seriously, it was bad bad bad, and the guy talked forever. I don't believe anything he said, which is where we might find debate.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh those hot-headed minorities, why can't they just cough up the dough for acceptable voter ID, verify their names haven't been purged from voter rolls, ignore suppressive propaganda littering their neighborhoods and risk getting fired missing work to vote?

Well, I mean the ones whose right to vote haven't already been taken away because they were hit with felony charges for the 2 grams of weed in their center console discovered during a speculative search after a traffic stop for failure to yield.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Pomp posted:

The police statement where they revealed the robbery came several days after the murder, when they had plenty of time to get their story straight, and they still denied that Wilson connected Brown to the robbery.

There's a lot of interesting information in the comprehensive report of the investigation, which people should read.

Relevant, earlier in the report, the investigators figure on a time of 12:02 for the shooting.

quote:

The following information relates to the Saint Louis County Police Department's investigation of a homicide that occurred on Saturday, August 9, 2014 at approximately 12:02 near 2947 Canfield Drive, in the City of Ferguson, within Saint Louis County, Missouri.

There are two tracks discussed with actual time stamps related to the separate radio traffic:

quote:

Based on these times, it appeared the time associated with the Ferguson Police Department's radio system was running approximately 19 minutes and 37 seconds fast.
(adjusting for time discrepancy gives the following time stamps)
Track 369: Darren Wilson initially called out on Canfield Drive ... at 12:01:50
Track 386: (contents not documented in report) ... at 12:07:20
I don't know what the gently caress 'track' represents in time or otherwise, but that puts the whole Wilson calling in about the two on Canfield to the "We're gonna need crowd control out here" to 5.5 minutes. I don't think it relates to time directly, as the dispatcher says "10-23 at 12:04" in Track 382. Supposedly, 10-23 means 'arrived on scene,' and this should be after the shooting, after EMS is dispatched. Assuming the dispatcher is calling the right time here; anyway, the time fits pretty well.

Everything happened in probably less than a minute, according to Wilson's testimony and scrutiny by investigators.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
For those who are claiming that Michael Brown is No Angel, etc., what crimes would you claim aren't worth the death penalty?

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

I'm having trouble cutting through the BS on this case because we have people on one side claiming that a man was summarily executed by this cop and others saying there was some kind of drugged up superman intent on murdering the cop.
It's pretty simple unless you start off with per-concieved notions based on the race of the individuals really. How likely is it for someone, anyone to have a bullet wound on the top of the head? If that wound does happen do is it more likely to be from charging an officer like a bull or falling forward because one or more of the 12 rounds fired connected?

If it were you, would you charge someone like a bull? If you have, what were you on to do that? Does Marijuana cause people to behave the way Officer Wilson says? I mean the only people who do/did think like that were people like Harry Aslinger who would say

quote:

“If the hideous monster Frankenstein came face to face with the monster marihuana, he would drop dead of fright.”
And that was largely because he was a noted racist as well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_J._Anslinger

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Broken Loose posted:

For those who are claiming that Michael Brown is No Angel, etc., what crimes would you claim aren't worth the death penalty?

Crimes committed by white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Crimes committed by white people.

At least crimes committed for white people.

• Locked thread