Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

bunnielab posted:

Starting yet another BG2EE run and it seems like Keldorn's quest is bugged. When I enter his house for the first time nothing happens, it like starts the cut-scene but nothing happens and I have to quit out of the game. Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Also, why are all the good NCPs such little bitches? Other than Jan everyone of them is a huge whiny rear end in a top hat.

Mazzy isn't. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MegaGatts posted:

A big difference between BG2 and IWD is that AC tanks are perfectly viable after being drat near useless in BG2. If you can get your AC to -12 or so there's very few enemies in the game that will reliably hit you.
-12 does you until about the end of the Dragon's Eye. -20 can make you invulnerable to everything but the final vanilla boss.

The expansion (and ultimately HoF) assumes you've figured out area denial or explicit invulnerability buffs as everything has THAC0s that will hit anything outside of fumbles.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Are quarterstaff-based backstabbers viable in Icewind Dale?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I wish you could make a ranger / mage in 2E :(

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Rookersh posted:

Neera's romance is terrible, but she's a great companion. She's also got the benefit of introducing more story stuff into the game, which none of the other companions do. ( Wild Magic only became a thing with the death of some gods. Namely the god of magic. This is why she's being hunted, because Thay wants to figure out how a simple farmgirl can match their best and brightest with no formal training. )

It's a bit forced, but it's better then Dorn ( I'm just evil. ), Hexxat ( More Vampires? ), and Rasaad ( We made up a new cult of crazy martial arts dudes. They don't really fit the setting but whatever, Monks man. ).

DeathChicken posted:

I found Neera's romance less annoying than most of them, really. There was no Aerie/Viconia/Jaheira woe is me junk. The closest you got to drama was the stuff at the Refuge, and that just leads to a pissed off Neera kicking down the door of a Red Wizard enclave and a pretty fun fight starting.

I don't know if things go differently if you actively pursue the romance stuff by choosing the more blunt options, but for me Neera's was limited to some vague flirting and that's about it; I actually really like that, and for years I've been saying that I wish games could have relationship systems that weren't "talk X times and then gently caress." I wish more games had in-depth burgeoning relationships beyond defined romances that led to boning. BG2 dialogues/romances definitely had their problems, but I liked the spontaneity of them, and I liked that you could easily mess them up (well, probably just Viconia's, but still). But all of this is neither here nor there; I just liked that Neera's was sort of atypical and was mostly just exchanging snide remarks instead of "Oh please lay with me, my lover!!!" (ADD_INVENTORY_ITEM: "BABY", "1")

(Granted I mostly dislike her writing but I like the idea of a relationship that's more just flirty or casual as opposed to a Standard Bioware Romance)

I also like the idea of Hexxat, if not the execution. I'm fine with a vampire NPC, but for starters, she is not even remotely evil, as I've seen tons of banters where she says stuff like "why do you hate me, Aerie? I just want to be your friend :smith:" and "I wish we didn't have to fight this person who's trying to kill us but unfortunately we have no choice" (I'm exaggerating but this is pretty accurate).

Also her romance dialogues amount to conversations like

Hexxat: It's nighttime. I like the dark.
1:- I also like the dark. By which I mean you. You have dark skin. I like you.
2:- I can think of some things we could do in the dark. Sex things. At night
3:- Shut your pie hole

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dyna Soar posted:

I wish you could make a ranger / mage in 2E :(

Druid/thief is my pick for the one multi/dual that isn't that I wish was, and ranger/mage is #2. A lot of games make having a single-class thief pointless, and druid/thief have so much synergy. They both wear leather armour, they both level up quickly which mitigates the reduced Xp from having multiple classes, and they both use scimitars and staves, which do insane backstab damage (somehow).

In IWD I can never fit everyone I want in my team into a 6-man party (laugh if you like), and being able to dual- or multi-class a druid/thief would let me have exactly the team I want. IWD2 doesn't have this problem because, if memory serves, you can give a bard one level of rogue to start and he can fulfill the lockpicking and trap-removing functions very admirably for the rest of the game.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

Druid/thief is my pick for the one multi/dual that isn't that I wish was, and ranger/mage is #2. A lot of games make having a single-class thief pointless, and druid/thief have so much synergy. They both wear leather armour, they both level up quickly which mitigates the reduced Xp from having multiple classes, and they both use scimitars and staves, which do insane backstab damage (somehow).

In IWD I can never fit everyone I want in my team into a 6-man party (laugh if you like), and being able to dual- or multi-class a druid/thief would let me have exactly the team I want. IWD2 doesn't have this problem because, if memory serves, you can give a bard one level of rogue to start and he can fulfill the lockpicking and trap-removing functions very admirably for the rest of the game.

This. Druid/Thief would be so sweet. Stalker->Cleric sort of works, but the weapons restrictions leave it feeling not Druidic enough.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

anime tupac posted:

I also like the idea of Hexxat, if not the execution. I'm fine with a vampire NPC, but for starters, she is not even remotely evil, as I've seen tons of banters where she says stuff like "why do you hate me, Aerie? I just want to be your friend :smith:" and "I wish we didn't have to fight this person who's trying to kill us but unfortunately we have no choice" (I'm exaggerating but this is pretty accurate).

Even if she wasn't evil, she's a vampire so she would always default to evil because elemental evil is powering her, much like any undead. Though this point is moot because she is pretty clearly evil. She's practical enough to have friends but she will dispose of them as soon as they become a burden on her or they become more useful dead than not. The way I always saw her shes a pretty classical example of an neutral evil thief vs neutral good one: Where a good one will try to save his friends from a botched job, an evil one will just shrug and say better them than me.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

anime tupac posted:

I don't know if things go differently if you actively pursue the romance stuff by choosing the more blunt options, but for me Neera's was limited to some vague flirting and that's about it; I actually really like that, and for years I've been saying that I wish games could have relationship systems that weren't "talk X times and then gently caress." I wish more games had in-depth burgeoning relationships beyond defined romances that led to boning. BG2 dialogues/romances definitely had their problems, but I liked the spontaneity of them, and I liked that you could easily mess them up (well, probably just Viconia's, but still). But all of this is neither here nor there; I just liked that Neera's was sort of atypical and was mostly just exchanging snide remarks instead of "Oh please lay with me, my lover!!!" (ADD_INVENTORY_ITEM: "BABY", "1)
Well actually
It's GiveItemCreate

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

Iretep posted:

Even if she wasn't evil, she's a vampire so she would always default to evil because elemental evil is powering her, much like any undead. Though this point is moot because she is pretty clearly evil. She's practical enough to have friends but she will dispose of them as soon as they become a burden on her or they become more useful dead than not. The way I always saw her shes a pretty classical example of an neutral evil thief vs neutral good one: Where a good one will try to save his friends from a botched job, an evil one will just shrug and say better them than me.

She specifically implies that she is not evil and later admits that she will do anything, whatever the cost, to help you, which is also not evil

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Well actually
It's GiveItemCreate

I know, I was just loving around :yaycloud:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
ugh, bioware was both the best and the worst thing to happen to crpgs. the world would be a better place without video game romances.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

anime tupac posted:

She specifically implies that she is not evil and later admits that she will do anything, whatever the cost, to help you, which is also not evil

What she sees herself as is irrelevant. She killed a woman to just get out of her tomb like it was nothing. I don't think being loyal to a party of murderhobos is any indication what your actual alignment is.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

anime tupac posted:

I know, I was just loving around :yaycloud:

So, if she's "not evil", what's the excuse for her recruitment quest?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I find it weird that people get so worked up by video game romances. It's just a part of the story and adds a bit of additional flavor to it. It's not like I see myself romancing the character in question.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I only find romances bad when theres no good reward at the end. Going through all the trouble and only thing you get is a stupid pin accessory that only the romanced character can use. Oh come on! :argh:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I find it weird that people get so worked up by video game romances. It's just a part of the story and adds a bit of additional flavor to it. It's not like I see myself romancing the character in question.

the bad, teen drama level writing just makes me cringe. It's not a big deal since they're usually optional and not relaled to any npc quests.

Iretep posted:

I only find romances bad when theres no good reward at the end. Going through all the trouble and only thing you get is a stupid pin accessory that only the romanced character can use. Oh come on! :argh:

heh, I think it's the opposite. please don't make me go through some nerds awkward vision of romancing an elf.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Nov 28, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Dyna Soar posted:

ugh, bioware was both the best and the worst thing to happen to crpgs. the world would be a better place without video game romances.

They explicitly were following up on FF7. :shrug:

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

So, if she's "not evil", what's the excuse for her recruitment quest?

if she is evil, then why is she completely willing to sacrifice her own well-being for someone else, when being self-centered is a hallmark of the evil alignment?

Iretep posted:

What she sees herself as is irrelevant. She killed a woman to just get out of her tomb like it was nothing. I don't think being loyal to a party of murderhobos is any indication what your actual alignment is.

It isn't irrelevant, because no other evil NPC in the entire series even tries to make a claim about not being evil. What she did upon awakening was basically eating food she required to remain alive, and if I remember correctly, she even apologized for it. She's definitely not good, but I think there's at least a case to be made that she's neutral, because there's animalistic necessity involved (like when a Neutral bear eats a passing priest).

Anyway the only reason I brought this up at all was to point out how weird it is that she tries to be friendly with everyone and is generally super nice despite her alignment being listed "neutral evil." If you disregard her recruitment, I have yet to see her say or do much of anything that would qualify as evil.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oh well as long as she apologized.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

How many characters does the PC unnecessarily kill throughout the series?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Everyone actually plays chaotic evil PCs, even if your char sheet says otherwise. That's why she sounds like an angel to you.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

anime tupac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjtA30DQdDU&t=3s :v:

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

anime tupac posted:

Don't judge me for playing a wandering murderhobo spawn of the god of murder. They're not gonna kill themselves you know.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
heh, reminds of that one thread in the official EE forums where this guy tried to kill as many ppl in his playthrough he could without losing reputation. he used the jesters bard song and led those three spiders in beregost around so that they killed almost everyone in the town :)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Why are we having another alignment discussion in a d&d related thread? Just go read one of the previous ones.

Does anyone else have problems seeing the level architecture in places like Dorn's Deep on android, and is there a way to adjust gamma on this version?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

quote:

Rather than go to the town of Nashkel immediately, I went to see that fabulous carnival I had kept hearing about. I also discovered a new trick to provoke combat. There were many cats and chickens at the fair, and whenever I encountered one I beat it senseless. When the animals woke up, they were hostile to me. I then sang the jester song while cats and chickens fought each other mercilessly.

this guy is pretty good:

quote:

Soon, I had the urge to snoop around the graveyard in front of the temple. On one occasion, I found a mage, Mark Daer'Ragh, feigning death. The annoyed mage quickly summoned a crew of Phoenix Guards. Branwen cast Protection from Fire and Resist Fire/Cold on me, and I had fun leading the fiery warriors near innocent people and detonating them. By the time all the Phoenix Guards had been destroyed, most of the town's outside population had been reduced to cinders. There were still some stragglers left: Rasaad, Minsc, Edwin, Noober, a few soldiers, and a few commoners.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 28, 2014

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

pun pundit posted:

Why are we having another alignment discussion in a d&d related thread? Just go read one of the previous ones.

but Hexxat is a new element in these discussions! :anime:

Anyway, whatever, forget Hexxat, I only originally came here to ask a gameplay question about spell protections. I had some enemy use a sequencer that cast Spell Trap and Prot Magical Weapons; so okay, fine, I cast Ruby Ray (to remove the Trap) and then Breach (to remove the Prot Magical Weapons). After that she was still immune to all of my weapons. The fight was winnable anyway, but I thought this sequence should've dealt with those mage protections? Did I miss something somewhere? (this was just some normal creature and not a marilith or something)

e: Here's something I like about the EEs: they fix Sarevok's alignment change soundset! I've never heard some of these barks before.

anime tupac fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 28, 2014

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
Is there a mod to remove the added content from BG2EE? I loving hate it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Don't play it? There's nothing saying you can't tell Neera/Dorn/Hexxat to bugger off.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

DeathChicken posted:

Mazzy isn't. :colbert:

Ok, yea, her too. Currently on my way to grab her, I tried to do it super early with just CHARNAME and Jan but got my rear end soundly kicked.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

DeathChicken posted:

Don't play it? There's nothing saying you can't tell Neera/Dorn/Hexxat to bugger off.

I'd rather not be reminded of their existence with obnoxious cut scenes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's an in-game tool for removing them from the game permanently. Your PC should be holding it in their right hand next time you load the game. :getin:

I think Keldorn is also p chill. And Minsc. Really, who's a whiner other than the romance options/divine casters and Nalia?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are quarterstaff-based backstabbers viable in Icewind Dale?
The tactic works if that's what you're asking. I had a Fighter/Mage/Thief who used a quarterstaff at times, though I had Sneak Attacks active instead of Backstabs. The Kuldahar blacksmith sells a +3 quarterstaff, so you can get one pretty fast. Note that there aren't any Staves of Striking in IWD so you can't rely on those to get truly ridiculous damage.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kajeesus posted:

I think Keldorn is also p chill. And Minsc. Really, who's a whiner other than the romance options/divine casters and Nalia?

Keldorn is a huge loving tool and Amomen is awful to the point of wanting to go cleric-less for the rest of my game. Valygar is pretty dumb as well, but less offensively so then Amomen.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So is it normal to be in this second dungeon in IWD (caster is level...6?) And have just about 6 total spells?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

verybad posted:

Is there a mod to remove the added content from BG2EE? I loving hate it.

There will be on Sunday :)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

ChiTownEddie posted:

So is it normal to be in this second dungeon in IWD (caster is level...6?) And have just about 6 total spells?

I'm in the same situation and I have no idea but, this Dragon Eye is really loving difficult. I wish my wild mage would accidentally gate in another demon so I could trick it into killing these loving lizard men.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ChiTownEddie posted:

There's a scroll shop in Kuldhar. You should be able to get enough staples to fill out your spellbook.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Unlike BG, scrolls are a limited resource in IWD. Be sure to check all the merchants' inventories for scrolls. If you have more than one Bard and/or Mage you need to plan how to allocate them. I wouldn't advise anyone to have more than two characters that learn spells from scrolls, as there might not be enough scrolls to go around to produce a diverse set of spells for each character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Scrolls do tend to be a bit limited if you have a bard and two other arcane casters, but you can make it work. If you have a fighter/mage or something similar, give them all the good buff spells. If you take along one or more specialist casters, you will have to spread things around since you'll have spells you can't learn. Give your bard magic missile, grease, web and skull trap and they will rarely need to cast anything else.

As far as certain scrolls being limited, I only found 2 blur scrolls, 2 haste scrolls, 1 improved invisibility, and 1 stoneskin scroll in the first playthrough I did of the base game.

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm in the same situation and I have no idea but, this Dragon Eye is really loving difficult. I wish my wild mage would accidentally gate in another demon so I could trick it into killing these loving lizard men.

Dragon's Eye is the toughest part of the game for sure.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 29, 2014