Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Welp, just ordered some AKG K7XX off Massdrop. Looking forward to seeing how they compare to my AD900X.
drat you! There's no logical reason to buy another pair of high-end headphones when I already have HD650s, but a flagship model for $199 so tempting just for variety's sake.

edit: From the K7XX Head-Fi thread: "HD650 is warmer and more bassy, with laid back upper mids. The AKG is has a somewhat more even tone to my ears, until you get to those upper mids which seem more prominent... It doesn't sound all that close to an HD600 in overall character, but in terms of bass volume it's a pretty good analogy."

The 600 doesn't have enough bass for me so I'm out. For the best.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Wasn't the Q701 already like ~$200 for the most part?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

Are there good wireless headphones to use while lifting? From lifters I've heard these are popular, but I'd like the general audiophile opinion as well http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S11-Flex-Wireless-Bluetooth-Headset/dp/B009M27MB2

And I suppose this could be extended to IEMs that are pretty secure in the ear.

Reposting this.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Hey guys, before I go to ebay figured I'd post here. I have a prototype red JDS Labs C5D, it was the prototype right before being sold. I am willing to let it go for $175. Let me know if interested and we'll work out the details.

RiceBurrito
Jan 4, 2004
Brother of RiceTaco
How are the Sennheiser HD 598? It's on sale from amazon for Black Friday for $99 bucks. Thinking about pulling the trigger on them now since I need new ones for my computer

RiceBurrito fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 28, 2014

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

HD598 is my jam because they both look AND sound good

it's a steal at 99bux

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
God drat it I just ordered the 598s from amazon on Nov 3 for more than 2x that price :(

On chat with a CSR to see if he can do anything for me.

edit: well I can just return the "old" set and order the new ones, I have until jan 31 to return. I should be nice and ship back the unopened box, right? :)

priznat fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 28, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sony V6 is on sale at Amazon for $50: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

That's a good price.
The Sennheiser Momentum is $99 + free shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Momentum-On-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B00DKPXU9A/ref=sr_1_2?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1417180409&sr=1-2

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Any decent headphone amps on sale for the UK? I have been meaning to buy one for about 2 years. I'm talking about the small, FiiO sorta stuff, not like big amps. Just need it so that I can stop using my TV as a speaker because my headphones are too quiet through the computer.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 28, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Another Person posted:

Any decent headphone amps on sale for the UK? I have been meaning to buy one for about 2 years. I'm talking about the small, FiiO sorta stuff, not like big amps. Just need it so that I can stop using my TV as a speaker because my headphones are too quiet through the computer.

Assuming prices in the UK correlate with prices in the US, the best bang for your buck (pound for your pound?) would either be the Objective 2 or Schiit Magni

Under My Voodoo
Feb 17, 2004
Been waiting for Black Friday for the last couple of months to buy a new set of cans. The only over the ear headphones that I've ever owned were an old pair of Pioneers that were fine but nothing special. I own the Piston 2s that I really like the sound of but wanted to invest a little more in a nicer set. I was sold on the NVX Audio XPT100s per recommendation from this thread but now with all these deals I'm having trouble deciding. I wasn't even looking at Bose because they all seemed to be out of my price range but now that the AE2s are only $79 I'm not quite sure. I don't travel that often but noise cancellation seems like it would be nice. If I went the Sennheiser route the Momentums for $99 and the 558s for $118 both seem like a steal. Ideally I'd like to spend ~$130 or less. I'll mostly be listening to hip hop from my Macbook Pro / Iphone. Any thoughts?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

RiceBurrito posted:

How are the Sennheiser HD 598? It's on sale from amazon for Black Friday for $99 bucks. Thinking about pulling the trigger on them now since I need new ones for my computer

Best deal I've ever seen on them. Get it!

Any IEM deals today? I need to replace my aging SE215s.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 28, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Best deal I've ever seen on them. Get it!

Any IEM deals today? I need to replace my aging SE215s.

I am a fan of Noble's products, and they are doing 15% Black Friday discount across the line.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why the hell do I pine for a pair of V6/7506 when I already have HD650s? I know the 7506 is fatiguing to listen to and it's certainly not as comfortable as the HD650, but there's just something about the fact it's such a gold standard that I can't get away from.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Why the hell do I pine for a pair of V6/7506 when I already have HD650s? I know the 7506 is fatiguing to listen to and it's certainly not as comfortable as the HD650, but there's just something about the fact it's such a gold standard that I can't get away from.

They can certainly be useful if you want a good beater phone. I use my 7506 as beaters for when I'm traveling or studying at a coffeeshop or just generally going anywhere that isn't my apartment. So if you want headphones for that purpose, the V6/7506 are a decent choice. But if the HD650s are anything like the HD600 (which I tried out for a couple weeks), there's really no comparison. The HD600 blows the 7506 out of the water in every single way, so I imagine the HD650 would too.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I almost ordered the HD598s even though I have no use at all for them (pretty much any situation where I'd use them instead of my HD600s, I would just use the W1000s). Thankfully/unfortunately it was when I was at an eye doctor appointment and by the time I got home they were all sold out (I needed to enter some Amazon GCs before ordering).

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Budget - Up to $250, but I'd prefer to stay below $200
Source - PC (no headphone amp yet)
Isolation Requirements - I would prefer closed-back headphones. I'm don't care much about what gets in, but I would like to limit what gets out. I use a desktop mic that sits at arm's reach, and I've noticed that my open-backed headphones leak enough sound to be picked up by it occasionally.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full sized circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Neutral
Past Headphones -
Sennheiser HD595. I love their comfort and how they sound. However, they fell victim to the headband cracking issue shortly after the warranty expired, and now the cups are barely holding onto the headband with epoxy and tape. Also, closed-back would be better than open for my use. I've noticed that enough sound leaks out of these to get picked up by my mic. If it weren't for these issues, those $99 HD598s would already be on their way.
Superlux HD681. I bought these as beater headphones for work/travel. Their audio quality is better than I expected of the $40 I paid for them, but the cup design doesn't quite fit over my ears. This makes them somewhat uncomfortable to wear for more than about an hour at a time.
Preferred Music - Primarily rock, metal, and classical

I suspect I missed the best of the deals today, but I'd like to know what to keep my eye out for. From the headphone buyer's guide linked in the OP, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Audio Technica A900x, and Shure SRH940 all sound like they fit into my criteria. Does anyone have a favorite among these, and are there any others I overlooked?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Sennheiser HD25-1 II imo.

GoodCleanFun
Jan 28, 2004

Slippery42 posted:

I suspect I missed the best of the deals today, but I'd like to know what to keep my eye out for. From the headphone buyer's guide linked in the OP, Beyerdynamic DT1350, Audio Technica A900x, and Shure SRH940 all sound like they fit into my criteria. Does anyone have a favorite among these, and are there any others I overlooked?

Midorka posted:

Sennheiser HD25-1 II imo.

I have a pair of these I'd be willing to part with if you are interested, PM if so.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Got the Bose 20i's for $100 less than normal, and wow the noise cancellation is insane. Loud voices become whispers. Normal talking is gone. Such a fan.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

So I'm looking to use my headphones as the only listening device for my computer, however I also enjoy listening to things off my phone or if I'm using my second monitor to use my consoles.

My question is what's a good amp with multiple inputs? My current headphones are the AKG K240s

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Budget - Around 100 Euros
Source - PC 3.5mm out > 3.5mm amp in > 6.5mm amp out (Sony EX50)
Isolation Requirements - I'd like to drain out noises, but it's not a must
Preferred Type of Headphone - I prefer big headphones that cover (most of) the ear, but I don't care if it's open or closed.
Preferred Tonal Balance - ?
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HDR 120 (got these in 2010) ~ Some model that looks like the Sony MDR-CD3000 (got these around 2004 from my parents, who used them for at least 15 years and I'd still be using them if the cable didn't break)
Preferred Music- Not relevant

My Sennheiser headphones died, so I'm looking for new headphones.

Looking at: AKG K240 Studio Semi-Open

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I'm trying to decide between a few pairs of headphones. Right now I have it down to the Audio Technica M40x and the Sony MDR 7506/V6 (apparently they're almost identical?) I've been burned in the past by headphones crapping out with bad cables, so I definitely prefer a set with detachable cables, but I know the Grado SR80e has gotten a lot of love online and in Consumer Reports, so I'd consider it if it was head and shoulders above the other two. Are there any other options I should consider? The basics of what I need are:

Budget - 100 USD or less.
Source - iPad Air 2 and Nexus 5, primarily. I would also use it occasionally connected to my laptop while working at the office.
Isolation Requirements - Not a dealbreaker, but it would be nice to have while traveling (planes, trains etc.) or working in my cubicle.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-the-ear and closed would be my top preference.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Probably something balanced/neutral. I'm not an audiophile, so I can't really speak intelligently on this.
Past Headphones - I have a pair of cheapo Panasonic RPTCM125K IEMs that work fine for when I'm out and about or going for a run. I also used to have a pair of Sennheiser HD-212s that had cables that died on me a year or so ago.
Preferred Music - Jazz, Hip-Hop, Soul/R&B, House

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh
Budget -$200ish
Source - iPhone, iPad
Isolation Requirements - Noise-cancelling would be preferable, but something with good isolation might suffice. Lots of airplanes and non-driving car situations.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Flat as gently caress.
Past Headphones - Back in the day I used some of the original Bose Triports and loved them until they broke. Currently using iE2s for general going ons, but I need something that will block or isolate better.
Preferred Music - Legitimately anything. Varied enough that I definitely need a flat response so as to not throw any one genre out of whack.
Notes- I'm a musician and I travel a lot. I need to block airplane sounds and road/bandmate noises while maintaining good sound. Foldability is a major plus.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

DaFuente posted:

Budget -$200ish
Source - iPhone, iPad
Isolation Requirements - Noise-cancelling would be preferable, but something with good isolation might suffice. Lots of airplanes and non-driving car situations.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Flat as gently caress.
Past Headphones - Back in the day I used some of the original Bose Triports and loved them until they broke. Currently using iE2s for general going ons, but I need something that will block or isolate better.
Preferred Music - Legitimately anything. Varied enough that I definitely need a flat response so as to not throw any one genre out of whack.
Notes- I'm a musician and I travel a lot. I need to block airplane sounds and road/bandmate noises while maintaining good sound. Foldability is a major plus.

Can you handle iems? For travel isolation you will be better with IEMs with foam tips like Shure black olives or comply foams.

DaFuente
Nov 23, 2003

puppeh

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can you handle iems? For travel isolation you will be better with IEMs with foam tips like Shure black olives or comply foams.

Totally open to it, but in a perfect world i'd prefer over ears. I get a sort of security blanket feel from them and they don't fall out. Reassessing, maybe I don't need 100% cancellation. I could do 85% and be happy, if that helps your recommendation. Total isolation would probably be too jarring anyway.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
I'm looking to ask for a set of nice headphones for Christmas.
Budget - Anywhere from $100 to $300
Source - Laptop PC mostly. I have bluetooth IEMs for most of my other listening.
Isolation Requirements - I don't wan to bother my coworkers (artistic workshop) with my music or my wife with my games at home.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, please.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, please. I have hearing loss especially in lower frequencies. My parents took me to a lot of concerts as a kid. Thank, guys.
Past Headphones - It's been all in-ear for years. I had a nice set of over ear headphones, but I couldn't tell you the brand.
Preferred Music - Games, movies. Music is everything from dubstep to gospel. If that helps at all.
Thank you.
Oh, I am looking at Grado.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

@Grawl: check out the Brainwavz HM5 imo.

@ChadSexington: Check out the NVX XPT100 imo.

@DaFuente: If you want IEMs it sounds like the Rock-It R-50 are for you.

@oneof27: If you can find a used Bowers and Wilkins P7 for $300 I'd do that. If you don't want used then maybe the Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome
I'm looking for recommendations for a set of wireless simulated surround gaming headphones. I know it's gimmicky, but it works and I can't afford true surround. Something with an included microphone would be great, but not a requirement. Thanks in advance for the help.

Budget - $200 or less?
Source - Xbox (will require optical connection)
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Past Headphones - none

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I got in on the 598 deal but much like the M50S's I got in on last year the stock plug doesn't really work with my iphone/ipad when they're in the case. Is there a good adapter that I should be looking at or would an old recessed adapter I had from some Shure headset work without really killing the audio quality?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

suddenlyissoon posted:

I got in on the 598 deal but much like the M50S's I got in on last year the stock plug doesn't really work with my iphone/ipad when they're in the case. Is there a good adapter that I should be looking at or would an old recessed adapter I had from some Shure headset work without really killing the audio quality?

An adapter will make literally no difference at all unless it's faulty.

I'm not sure why you would think otherwise.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

Monster cables dawg.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

grack posted:

Clearly it's because I'm an idiot on the subject.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

grack posted:

suddenlyissoon posted:

Clearly it's because I'm an idiot on the subject.

I had this same issue last year and you'd be surprised at how ungodly difficult it is to find an adapter of that sort of any decent quality. I ordered like 5 from different places and all of them were garbage. They'd be noisy or staticky or they'd cut out one of the channels if you looked at them sideways...

I ended up just pulling my phone out of its bumper case every time I wanted to use it with certain headphones. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

oneof27 posted:

I'm looking to ask for a set of nice headphones for Christmas.
Budget - Anywhere from $100 to $300
Source - Laptop PC mostly. I have bluetooth IEMs for most of my other listening.
Isolation Requirements - I don't wan to bother my coworkers (artistic workshop) with my music or my wife with my games at home.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear, please.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced, please. I have hearing loss especially in lower frequencies. My parents took me to a lot of concerts as a kid. Thank, guys.
Past Headphones - It's been all in-ear for years. I had a nice set of over ear headphones, but I couldn't tell you the brand.
Preferred Music - Games, movies. Music is everything from dubstep to gospel. If that helps at all.
Thank you.
Oh, I am looking at Grado.
Grados are none of the things you're looking for except price. They're not exactly balanced, they're very open, they're supra-aural--meaning on the ears and they tend to be hit or miss with some genres.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
I have a pair of HD595s for which I'm looking to purchase a new amp. I had previously been using a no-name portable amp with them, primarily because I liked how the amp's bass boost helped to make up for the HD595's default bass-light performance. However, since my old amp has started to introduce some clicks/pops into the audio and the battery lasts approximately 40 minutes, I'm looking to upgrade. Would something like the FiiO E12 or Schiit Magni be a good choice? Or should I be looking for a new pair of headphones instead?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Do you have a desktop amp/DAC also?

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
No - my usual source is an iPhone with a lightning->30 pin and line-out dock adapter. I don't necessarily need a portable amp though, since I do all of my listening with the 595s at home - I have a pair of Shure SE535s for portable use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Stutes posted:

No - my usual source is an iPhone with a lightning->30 pin and line-out dock adapter. I don't necessarily need a portable amp though, since I do all of my listening with the 595s at home - I have a pair of Shure SE535s for portable use.

If you want a portable amp/DAC that can be used as the same for desktop then I have a JDS Labs C5D on Ebay that you could likely snag for 1/2 price. If you just want something for home then get a Schiit Modi+Magni.