Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Map of ISIS recruitment in the last three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
No numbers from Iran? Gotta be a few disgruntled Sunnites coming from there.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Honj Steak posted:

Map of ISIS recruitment in the last three years.

Kanada
Marokko
Irak

It turns out Mortal Kombat actually takes place in Germany.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Only one guy from Switzerland. :rolleyes: What's the matter, all mercenaried out? Get the gently caress over there, you've got a reputation to uphold.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Peanut President posted:

Kanada
Marokko
Irak

It turns out Mortal Kombat actually takes place in Germany.

Shao Kaliph

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The Islamic State of Outworld and Earthrealm.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
WTF Belgium and Sweden.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torrannor posted:

WTF Belgium and Sweden.

I'm more interested in the relatively low amounts from Libya and Egypt, especially compared with Tunisia.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

computer parts posted:

I'm more interested in the relatively low amounts from Libya and Egypt, especially compared with Tunisia.

There are still armed conflicts in Libya, radical Libyans have enough opportunities to advance their cause at home. And the conflict between Egypt's military and the Muslim Brotherhood was probably more important for Egyptian Muslims than ISIS.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Haha, I didn't know that the German word for France is still, literally, "Kingdom of the Franks". That's cool!

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008
One thing I find interesting for some reason is all the different ways of saying the United Kingdom.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Abilifier posted:

One thing I find interesting for some reason is all the different ways of saying the United Kingdom.

Even better are the various names for Germany. Slavs call it "Land of Mutes."

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Where does that leave people from the French Flanders (Chtis!)

Anecdotal but I once met two guys who self-identified as Flemings from France (they had Flemish first and last names but didn't speak Dutch) and used this to distance themselves from the dreaded Ch'ti label. I'm not an expert but I read somewhere else that some people in the Nord department like to link themselves to a more Flemish regional identity because of the positive associations with a more prosperous economy and a rich Medieval history, even though only a part of the historical Nord was ever Dutch-speaking.

Another anecdote, if you will: Charles de Gaulle came from this region (his name was originally Vandewalle), and reportedly when he visited the front lines in Belgium, Flemish soldiers were instructed not to talk poo poo behind his back because he was allegedly able to understand them.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

DrSunshine posted:

Haha, I didn't know that the German word for France is still, literally, "Kingdom of the Franks". That's cool!

Wouldn't "Realm of the Franks" be a better translation?.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I heard people didn't like the Ch'ti label because it refers specifically to the Picard language, meaning that it's misleading to apply it to all of French Flanders.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TheImmigrant posted:

Even better are the various names for Germany. Slavs call it "Land of Mutes."

'Nem' didn't just mean mute, it also meant unintelligible back when the name was made. So, basically, Germans are 'Bar bar bar'ians.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kurtofan posted:

Where does that leave people from the French Flanders (Chtis!)
Nordic.

Riso posted:

Wouldn't "Realm of the Franks" be a better translation?.
Yep. (It's the same in Danish too.)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

the jizz taxi posted:

Another anecdote, if you will: Charles de Gaulle came from this region (his name was originally Vandewalle), and reportedly when he visited the front lines in Belgium, Flemish soldiers were instructed not to talk poo poo behind his back because he was allegedly able to understand them.

I was right in not believing this claim right away. It is, in fact, false, and nothing more than a local legend.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Nordic.

Yep. (It's the same in Danish too.)

Ahh, okay! That does make a lot more sense. :)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Phlegmish posted:

I heard people didn't like the Ch'ti label because it refers specifically to the Picard language, meaning that it's misleading to apply it to all of French Flanders.

Probably, my family is from around Lille/Douai, where Ch'timi is spoken. No idea where people speak Flemish though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Some elders in a small coastal region between Dunkerque and the Belgian border still speak a bastardized dialect of Flemish. The official language of the area is French and all signs and such are in French, too.

I don't think anyone born in that region who's under 60-70 years of age knows the Flemish dialect, though. Note that 'French Flanders' indicates a larger region and includes originally French-speaking parts that happened to belong to the historical County of Flanders.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 28, 2014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Anyone whose ever been to Wales knows that you can't describe it as "Mediterranean"

e: haha nor is the West Coast of Scotland

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

Probably, my family is from around Lille/Douai, where Ch'timi is spoken. No idea where people speak Flemish though.

The historically [West-]Flemish linguistic area begins immediately northwest of Lille, which contrary to popular belief was never a Dutch-speaking city.

It's funny because if you visit Lille you see more Flemish flags than in actual Flemish cities.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Torrannor posted:

WTF Belgium and Sweden.

At least with Sweden it's about a huge and partially unintegrated immigrant population.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

A map wherein the negative influence of the Swedes becomes apparent. Scania has completely fallen to authoritarianism, while freedom only persists in the parts of Norway most heavily influenced by Denmark. In Finland too, the Swedes have destroyed the traditional family in favor of German-style authoritarianism.

IceAgeComing posted:

Anyone whose ever been to Wales knows that you can't describe it as "Mediterranean"

e: haha nor is the West Coast of Scotland
Are you saying the Welsh aren't known for having darker hair and eyes on average than their English neighbors? Perhaps the lack of perceived Mediterranean character is down to centuries of subjugation by the Nordic English? Tom Jones might be a good example of how the Welsh would act, were they allowed to unleash all their natural instincts upon the world, unencumbered by Nordic stoicism.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Buttery Pastry must have discovered a cache of old anthropological maps somewhere, we need to stop him before he starts trying to determine goons' psychological profiles using phrenology or something.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

He's going insane man!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

A map wherein the negative influence of the Swedes becomes apparent. Scania has completely fallen to authoritarianism, while freedom only persists in the parts of Norway most heavily influenced by Denmark. In Finland too, the Swedes have destroyed the traditional family in favor of German-style authoritarianism.

Are you saying the Welsh aren't known for having darker hair and eyes on average than their English neighbors? Perhaps the lack of perceived Mediterranean character is down to centuries of subjugation by the Nordic English? Tom Jones might be a good example of how the Welsh would act, were they allowed to unleash all their natural instincts upon the world, unencumbered by Nordic stoicism.

:psyduck: How does one even come to these definitions?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Disco Infiva posted:

He's going insane man!

Yes, the shape of the skull clearly shows it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cousin marriage is prevalent in Corsica you say? :heysexy:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Buttery Pastry must have discovered a cache of old anthropological maps somewhere, we need to stop him before he starts trying to determine goons' psychological profiles using phrenology or something.
I haven't found a cache of old goon photos though, so doing phrenology on you would be pretty hard! I could however reconstruct your cranium from a psychological profile established from your posts.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I haven't found a cache of old goon photos though, so doing phrenology on you would be pretty hard! I could however reconstruct your cranium from a psychological profile established from your posts.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3610276

:tipshat:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A Buttery Pastry apparently hasn't recovered from this diagram:

Only Sweden better than Denmark, truly a dark day.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

talking of Denmark being good at something

Guess what they are very good at!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

talking of Denmark being good at something

Guess what they are very good at!
Could be cigarettes, Denmark has best cigarettes outside of Indonesia.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

This is part of a wider study: in which Indonesia was 28th, one place ahead of France. That's the reason why there are gaps in the numbering btw!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

420 Gank Mid posted:

Ah yes, that tiny, insignificant portion of North America with Spanish colonial influence.

You may have to zoom in a bit to see it here.

Spanish is every bit as American as English is.

That's bullshit, the whole western part we took from Mexico was almost uninhabited by Mexicans. They "owned" it but only a few thousands of families actually lived there. They were vastly outnumbered by English speakers.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That's bullshit, the whole western part we took from Mexico was almost uninhabited by Mexicans. They "owned" it but only a few thousands of families actually lived there. They were vastly outnumbered by English speakers.

The issue was being "historically spoken"; Spanish was most definitely historically spoken in those areas for hundreds of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Here's a slightly topical map for this holiday, and for language discussion:

The range of the Wampanoag people around the time of the Pilgrim's arrival. This is the tribe that would have been present at the first Thanksgiving. The majority had been wiped out by disease (contact with European fishermen) in the 5 years leading up to the Pilgrim's landing.

Due to aggressive policies used to eliminate native languages and cultures, the last native speaker of the Wampanoag language died in the late 19th century. The language, however, is one of the most recorded of all the extinct Native America languages. The Wampanoag people, quickly adapting to the bureaucratic nature of the European settlers, adopted the latin script and used it to write their language. An early missionary created a Wampanoag translation of the bible, the first bible printed in the Americas, and the Wampanoag often wrote petitions, in Wampanoag, to Boston to beg for assistance in dealing with aggressive settling of their lands. All of these letters became public records and were used in the 90's to attempt to revive the Wampanoag language, which had been extinct for ~7 generations. A very small number of tribal children have now been raised as the first native speakers of their language after those ~7 generations of the language being dead.