Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's more to fear of heights than just being high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Its too bad they are about a month early for the transport truck death run thru 100 mile house "watch out for that moose"

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Viggen posted:

Wait.. he has a pilots' license, and he is afraid of heights? :what:

Not as uncommon as you think. I have a commercial pilot license and I am very afraid of heights; I can hardly even climb a ladder without getting freaked the hell out. In fact anecdotal evidence (asking around to my other pilot buddies) would indicate that a disproportionate number of pilots are afraid of heights.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

You Am I posted:

I'm afraid of heights (I can't even get on the roof of my house without wobbling like a drunk) but love flying

While being on a roof top for me is nothing, two stories up on a roof I'm a mess. It doesn't help that those roofs are often steeper too (talking about domestic angled tile/tin/slate, not flat top multi story commercial building/apartments).
Taking off in a cessna and low flying around the city though is nothing. It's perception of safety.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 26, 2014

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Viggen posted:

Wait.. he has a pilots' license, and he is afraid of heights? :what:

He mentioned it just before hitting that crazy mountain road in Bolivia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLxszv9eCM

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Having a pilot with a healthy respect for heights sounds like a good thing to me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cat Terrist posted:

Having a pilot with a healthy respect for heights sounds like a good thing to me.

I dunno: having a fear of the ground seems a more healthy phobia.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

spog posted:

I dunno: having a fear of the ground seems a more healthy phobia.

I'm not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of falling and the inevitable impact.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's different things that trigger it for me. Usually it's a visible connection to the ground. If I'm up a free standing ladder, I'll freak out. If I'm at the edge of roof or something, I'll freak out. I'm fine with flying. I took technical theater in high school and was able to walk across the catwalks just fine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like Steven Wright, I'm afraid of widths.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I don't mind well secured heights, I don't mind completely unsecured heights ecause I know what I am getting into, but I hate knee high railings or rusty railings that look like they will just make it even easier to trip and fall off a high cliff.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Argentina special is being aired on Christmas day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30190663

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Thank you Santa Cor Blimey Stone the Crows the Missus Will Never Believe This Un!

or whatever you people call him

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

twoot posted:

The Argentina special is being aired on Christmas day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30190663

Why does Argentina have such a bug up their rear end about a war they started and then promptly lost? Doesn't the Argentine ambassador have anything better to do than whine about a coincidence on a TV show?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

PT6A posted:

Why does Argentina have such a bug up their rear end about a war they started and then promptly lost? Doesn't the Argentine ambassador have anything better to do than whine about a coincidence on a TV show?

It is a regular distraction from domestic issues.

Just recently: Argentinian public transport now has to display a sign claiming the Falklands.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

twoot posted:

It is a regular distraction from domestic issues.

Basically. From everything my parents and other family members have said, the whole "Malvinas" thing has always been about misdirection.

I was born in Buenos Aires, as were my parents, and no regular Argentine gives a rat's rear end about those islands. Now I haven't been in Argentina since 1985, but if I would be very happy to see the Top Gear crew there if I were.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 230 days!)

MrChips posted:

Not as uncommon as you think. I have a commercial pilot license and I am very afraid of heights; I can hardly even climb a ladder without getting freaked the hell out. In fact anecdotal evidence (asking around to my other pilot buddies) would indicate that a disproportionate number of pilots are afraid of heights.

Huh. I never figured this to be possible. Then again, I wasn't afraid of planes until a twin prop flight in South America, and now prefer to avoid them, lest I get quite edgy so.. maybe its not so strange. I don't mind ladders, though. I just never figured someone could feel more comfortable sitting in something which isn't as attached (or as low) as, say, a second story roof.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Not that i care, or think there is a conspiracy at work, but jeremy clarkson driving a car in argentina that says "82 FKL" is an extraordinary coincidence. I'd bet that if richard hammond had the same car nobody would have noticed.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Not that i care, or think there is a conspiracy at work, but jeremy clarkson driving a car in argentina that says "82 FKL" is an extraordinary coincidence. I'd bet that if richard hammond had the same car nobody would have noticed.

So is life itself, but you don't see Argentinians rioting over that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And not to reignite the whole slapfight from months ago, but now that I see the actual plate it's hard to deny that to see "H982" as "1982" all it takes is holding your thumb over the left side of the H.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Oh my gently caress can we not have this retarded conversation again?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh my gently caress can we not have this retarded conversation again?

Been rewatching a lot of early episodes cause netflix is awesome like that and noticed a lot of stuff they did and said that they probably cant get away with now.
Especially the review of the Escalade where they basically said its a really lovely car made for "black rappers" and "black culture" .

I mean it is sort of the truth but still quite the profound thing to just come out and say on a car show.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bill Bailey said on Sunday's QI XL that UKIP was basically "Top Gear for people who don't like cars."

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

Been rewatching a lot of early episodes cause netflix is awesome like that and noticed a lot of stuff they did and said that they probably cant get away with now.
Especially the review of the Escalade where they basically said its a really lovely car made for "black rappers" and "black culture" .

I mean it is sort of the truth but still quite the profound thing to just come out and say on a car show.

I don't know, all the Escalades around here are driven by White Soccer moms.

Of course this is Alberta so a lot of our Black population is first and second generation African Immigrants.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

My Lovely Horse posted:

Bill Bailey said on Sunday's QI XL that UKIP was basically "Top Gear for people who don't like cars."
Then why did he go on the show?
Also, what does Bill Bailey do? Because he's never been funny.

I can't really defend top gear, it's not very good any more, but what I dislike more than top gear is people trying to look good by slagging it.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 28, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fo3 posted:

I guess you've never enjoyed the puerile enjoyment of Black Books. It's like Top Gear, but about a bookshop. :keke:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Or nevermind the buzzcocks. It's like top gear, but about music.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Can't forget Spaced. It's like top gear but about sharing a flat.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fo3 posted:

You're dead to me.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
its ok to like top gear as a dumb car show: but if you start taking the political views of jeremy clarkson seriously then you deserve to be mocked

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

KozmoNaut posted:

You're dead to me.

:(

I liked black books, but Bill Bailey was the least funny person in it.
Moran co wrote it, Pegg wrote for spaced, Bailey is annoying and at least Lee is amusing when ripping into topgear or UKIP

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 28, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fo3 posted:

:(

I liked black books, but Bill Bailey was the least funny person in it.
Moran co wrote it, Pegg wrote for spaced, Bailey is annoying and at least Lee is amusing when ripping into topgear or UKIP

Bill Bailey is just funny, but I guess maybe a bit weird. Have you seen his standup shows? They're actually pretty intelligent affairs, especially his musical stuff.

And of course there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXMbM22wu2U

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

IceAgeComing posted:

its ok to like top gear as a dumb car show: but if you start taking the political views of jeremy clarkson seriously then you deserve to be mocked

While I agree with this for the most part, it's just as dumb as John Stewart claiming that because the Daily Show is on Comedy Central, it should just be viewed as comedy. Both of them, especially Clarkson due to how viewed his show is around the world, are on huge shows who are seen by more than just people who see them as comedy shows.

The BBC is technically governmentally sponsored programming, so when you have Jezza being a racist (and his schtick is, whether he is or not. Or gently caress, James the colonial and Hammond the modern yabbo hating the foreigners whoever they are, mexicans cough cough), it is obviously going to offend someone.

I still love TG but any of you denying the fact it's a bunch of middle aged, anti-modernization guys, jerking off about super cars; are out of your mind. They poo poo on anything that isn't made by a white person from the EU and even if they give props to an Asian car, there's always some snide comment.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They poo poo on everything not specifically made in the UK for being foreign and then they poo poo on everything made in the UK because it's garbage.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Clarkson spent an entire episode jerking off over the Nissan GT-R and if you think the comments from the other two about Datsuns were harsh you want to watch the one where they all drive crap British Leylands. If you really think any of them care about whether something is or isn't made by "a white person from the EU" - beyond the purposes of a cheap gag that's no worse than what they aim at "white people" cars - then you're looking to get offended.

Also your view of their characters is really weird. May comes across more "bumbling old man with motorcycle parts in his bath and an unusual attachment to the Queen" and Hammond more "impatient overexciteable imp secretly slightly terrified of everything that originates outside Birmingham" than colonialists or little Englanders, and their weird foibles are almost always the butt of the joke rather than the source. Clarkson gets too many good lines and not enough comeuppance for someone who says what he says, but the idea that they're a trio of hardcore racists bashing things for being non-white is reaching.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

While I agree with this for the most part, it's just as dumb as John Stewart claiming that because the Daily Show is on Comedy Central, it should just be viewed as comedy. Both of them, especially Clarkson due to how viewed his show is around the world, are on huge shows who are seen by more than just people who see them as comedy shows.

The BBC is technically governmentally sponsored programming, so when you have Jezza being a racist (and his schtick is, whether he is or not. Or gently caress, James the colonial and Hammond the modern yabbo hating the foreigners whoever they are, mexicans cough cough), it is obviously going to offend someone.

I still love TG but any of you denying the fact it's a bunch of middle aged, anti-modernization guys, jerking off about super cars; are out of your mind. They poo poo on anything that isn't made by a white person from the EU and even if they give props to an Asian car, there's always some snide comment.

You are insane or have a very selective memory. They make fun of Americans and Europeans far more than anybody else.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I watched the episode with the escalade review (season 4, episode 2) and it's pretty loving hilarious. They start the show with, "On today's show: a pink ford, a black man's Cadillac, ..."

I started watching the US Top Gear, and it seems like it's purposefully :911: in order to set it apart from the original, which I kinda enjoy. The only thing that bothers me is that the bearded fellow always seems like he's selling the car he's reviewing, whether or not that is the case.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you started TGUS from the beginning, you've got a long slog ahead of you before it gets fun.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Data Graham posted:

If you started TGUS from the beginning, you've got a long slog ahead of you before it gets fun.

Can you give a cheat sheet for those who gave up on S1:E1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Viggen posted:

Can you give a cheat sheet for those who gave up on S1:E1?

I would start with maybe last season and go forward. Once they dumped the star in a reasonably priced car and studio parts of the show to just focus on challenges it got good.