Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

There's something irksome about that kind of behavior - it'd be like Massachusetts adopting a similar design to Australia's for their flag, but with a clam instead of the southern cross or something.
Russia looks like France if you tilt your head
Lots of flags are reminiscent of the US flag without being the US flag, all of that was deliberate
Italy and Mexico, Romania and Belgium, both of those and Germany
This state of affairs:

The state flags that look like Confederate flags are sending a racist message, and that's a reason to change them. But if you find flag duplication itself irksome, where will your ire end?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Counterpoint: look how loving sweet Norway's flag is. If Estonia went full Nordic and changed their flag to a Black-Blue-White Nordic cross, I bet it would look even better.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

PittTheElder posted:

Counterpoint: look how loving sweet Norway's flag is. If Estonia went full Nordic and changed their flag to a Black-Blue-White Nordic cross, I bet it would look even better.
Hey, I'm not the one with a problem with flag duplication!

(One billion versions of "Union Jack in a canton" also go here)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also compare Poland's and Indonesia's flags.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

Hey, I'm not the one with a problem with flag duplication!

(One billion versions of "Union Jack in a canton" also go here)

Also compare all the variations on three bands of Red/Green/Blue/White/Orange of various sorts and orientations.

Italy vs. Bulgaria vs. Cote D'Ivoire vs. Hungary vs. Ireland vs. Tajikistan vs. India and
France vs. Luxembourg vs. Netherlands vs. Russia

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Ironically, considering what spawned this derail, the only acceptable flag is therefore South Carolina's.

Edit: Wait, it's dark blue, not dark purple? Weak. Never mind.

Also,

South Carolina naval ensign during Revolutionary and Civil Wars

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 28, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

Russia looks like France if you tilt your head
Lots of flags are reminiscent of the US flag without being the US flag, all of that was deliberate
Italy and Mexico, Romania and Belgium, both of those and Germany
This state of affairs:

The state flags that look like Confederate flags are sending a racist message, and that's a reason to change them. But if you find flag duplication itself irksome, where will your ire end?

I didn't mean to imply flag duplication irksome in and of itself - it isn't as though there's something inherently wrong with a St. Andrew's Cross design on the flag, it's just the direct re-usage of confederacy imagery. Not only was the confederacy a country founded for the conservation of slavery, it was a failed state that collapsed under the war it started for its own independence. It was basically a harlequin baby in hosed-up statecraft form. These jackasses aren't just reusing the layout, they're straight-up xeroxing the flag of their failed slaver state in Georgia's case and using a minor partial recoloring in Mississippi's case. That's why I cited a flag like Australia's where they have the UK flag in the top left with the So. Cross in the rest of the design.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Elyv posted:

Also compare Poland's and Indonesia's flags.

But think of the savings! You can buy just one flag and then flip it upside down when you need to change it!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bacarruda posted:

But think of the savings! You can buy just one flag and then flip it upside down when you need to change it!
order now and we'll throw in the US-specific "State Seal On A Background" set for half off

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I love the look of Norway's flag. Easily my favorite of the Nordics.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

order now and we'll throw in the US-specific "State Seal On A Background" set for half off

Does it come with a sticker so I can change my Alabama flag into an extra Florida flag?

And gently caress Ohio for being all fancy with their swallowtail flag. They're almost as bad as the Nepalese...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bacarruda posted:

Does it come with a sticker so I can change my Alabama flag into an extra Florida flag?

And gently caress Ohio for being all fancy with their swallowtail flag. They're almost as bad as the Nepalese...

Maryland wins for most fabulous.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
wait nevermind the legacy confederate flags, why does Hawaii have a Union Jack in it :psyduck:

and all the Nordic cross flags are pretty good. at least they're not tricolour. gently caress every tricolour flag.

some time ago people were talking about flags and the website for (fancy name for people who think they know flags) got linked. it was all the biggest bullshit, they were dumb. flags suck

Koramei fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 28, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FAUXTON posted:

Maryland wins for most fabulous.

A good ol' fashioned quartering is a lot better than most of those flags.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Koramei posted:

wait nevermind the legacy confederate flags, why does Hawaii have a Union Jack in it :psyduck:

Hawai'i was a British colony for like 100 years or something.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Flagchat? Really? :reject:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Koesj posted:

Flagchat? Really? :reject:

It is like being in a Paradox thread.

Anyway, the Danish flag is the superior cross flag because it has the coolest origin lore.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MrBling posted:

It is like being in a Paradox thread.

Anyway, the Danish flag is the superior cross flag because it has the coolest origin lore.

Valdemar II called in a flagstrike on his own position.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Is there any reference to punishments to real war crimes committed during Sherman's March to the Sea? I know that contrary to Lost Causers and other confederate apologists narrative that the march wasn't nearly as factually loving awful as they like to portray it. Destructive to property, absolutely and understandably from the Union's perspective. But I would love some actual refutation that the fabled mass rapes were condoned, especially if Union soldiers were getting hanged by whatever the era equivalent of court martials were. Point being, I would like some proof that it was much better to have the Union running riot in your heartland rather than, say, the mongols or the nazis.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Frostwerks posted:

Is there any reference to punishments to real war crimes committed during Sherman's March to the Sea? I know that contrary to Lost Causers and other confederate apologists narrative that the march wasn't nearly as factually loving awful as they like to portray it. Destructive to property, absolutely and understandably from the Union's perspective. But I would love some actual refutation that the fabled mass rapes were condoned, especially if Union soldiers were getting hanged by whatever the era equivalent of court martials were. Point being, I would like some proof that it was much better to have the Union running riot in your heartland rather than, say, the mongols or the nazis.

Outside of using captured traitors to sweep for mines in the road and the typical looting that occurs when clearing an occupied area, Lost Causers love to hang all sorts of heinous bullshit around Sherman's neck.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Patrick Spens posted:

It was not about States Rights, because Confederate States were required to allow slavery.

This is kind of a non sequitur...I suspect the CSA states would have responded with the fact that they voluntarily entered a constitution that mandated/protected slavery, as it was their "right" to do.

There's a more complicated answer to this that is sort of encapsulated in the "died of an idea" quote which we discussed a few pages ago. In short, CSA states preferred their "rights" to winning the war, for better or worse.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

It would:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Best flag is Oregon full stop

Giant gold emblem on one side? Check.

Huge loving gold beaver on the other? Oh yeah

Asymmetrically Two sided flags are the best and random goofy animals raise them to art. I have a hard time getting inspired by a geometric pattern, but I would follow the proudly waving golden beaver into the gaping maw of hell.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If we're going to talk about flags, lets talk about the military history of battle standards and signal stuff instead.

I really like the look of some of the Napoleonic regimental stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Yaroslavl Oblast in Russia has the best flag in the world. This is scientifically proven.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Thanks, now I know where Wojtek came from.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

The Yaroslavl Oblast in Russia has the best flag in the world. This is scientifically proven.

I support the right to arm bears.

Dravinski
May 5, 2013

How sustainable were early military superpowers such as the Persian Empire or the Sui Dynasty? Could armies of such a scale last indefinitely or would they be a large economic drain for their respective empires?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, contrary to what that one guy said, military standards seem to be getting a lot more abstract as of late. Then again, you're not going to fly it on a tank and the best it can do is get lost in Generation Kill.

I might not be that much interested in flags, but God drat do I love me a battle standard that's crammed with symbols, colors, pennants, battle names and poo poo like that.

For signals... so before radio, the general would get on a really big hill and try to make out the situation, sending runners to tell certain groups to do certain things? Like in Gettysburg: Scourge of War? (I never played it, but I'd like to)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dravinski posted:

How sustainable were early military superpowers such as the Persian Empire or the Sui Dynasty? Could armies of such a scale last indefinitely or would they be a large economic drain for their respective empires?

Sun Tzu wrote that for every soldier mobilized you need three family's worth of productivity to maintain it. So I imagine the larger empires could in theory since a large military is a large amount of demand for iron, steel, leather, food and so on that could work as a stimulus for the economy, so its not *that* draining by some respects; so long as the ratio of soldiers to total economic capacity is reasonable.

Its like spending. The United States has 19 trillion$ in debt, but this is still *sustainable* because of the total size of the US economy.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SeanBeansShako posted:

If we're going to talk about flags, lets talk about the military history of battle standards and signal stuff instead.

I really like the look of some of the Napoleonic regimental stuff.

Before we do that, let's dwell some more on the topic of national flags - but from a milhist POV. Because there's one flag in particular that should make most conservative vexillologists faint:

ah, Mozambique :allears: this is the original 1975 version which I prefer over the current one that has given up on that funky background in favour of a more conservative tricolour design. Just how insanely wicked is it that the first truly massproduced assault rifle is immortalized in the flag of a nation of 20 million??? I've been told for a moment they were going to just rename Rhodesia to Kalashnikovia. True story.

Now back to military standards - but contemporary if I may:

If you like bears then you'll love the flag of FAF's Satakunta Air Command

if you like semi-nude men then you'll love the flag of Lapland Air Command

if you like severed hands juxtaposed with a crown then what the hell is your dysfunction man?!?

Karelia Air Command's flag features the Karelian coat of arms representing this province as a battleground between Sweden/west (the knight's plated arm with a straight sword) and Russia/east (a ringmail arm with a saracen scimitar... because Orthodox and Muslim are the same thing for medieval Swedish heraldists)

Oh, the swastika? It's a callback to 1918 when a Swedish count Eric von Rosen donated an airplane to the White Army by flying it from Sweden to Finland, and that Morane-Saulnier became the very first plane in Finnish Air Force's arsenal. von Rosen had painted his lucky symbol, a blue swastika, on the wings, which became FAF's emblem until 1944 when it was changed to a blue and white roundel. But the standards remain.

P.S. Eric von Rosen was later Hermann Göring's BFF & a Nazi sympathizer - but who in the Swedish aristocracy wasn't a Nazi?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The Department of The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same is very gratified to see some events today in Waziristan. A force of Afghan tribesmen (possibly taking advantage of the departure of all those sepoys for Europe and Africa, possibly at the instigation of unidentified German agents, possibly just out on the piss) is heading for the local administrative centre of Miranshah. The British commander gulps, stops bemoaning the awful fortune that left him stuck here while all his officer chummies went off to that lovely war, and tries to gather as many of his widely-spread force of men to him as possible.

Meanwhile, the Serbians are forced to initiate a general retreat and give up Belgrade; the Ottomans begin massing an army at Beersheba, for operations in Sinai towards the Suez Canal; and the Daily Telegraph lightens the mood with some casual racism. I've also found a link to some satirical "map of Europe" cartoons; I recognise a couple but I haven't seen all of them. Oh, and there's an advert in the paper for Mr Vernon Ward's miraculous new Cure for Obesity! I'm certainly glad that we got that one sorted out in 1914 and don't have to worry about it any more.

10 Hours Ago

Speaking of things we totally sorted out and don't have to worry about any more, this just happened in Miranshah, which is just utterly depressing in every way possible.

JcDent posted:

For signals... so before radio, the general would get on a really big hill and try to make out the situation, sending runners to tell certain groups to do certain things?

Pretty much. A large part of Wellington's legend is in how he rode around the field at Waterloo, personally giving orders and keeping morale up at critical moments. This is one of the reasons why it was so difficult to do anything anywhere in the First World War. Weapons ranges had increased so far that the generals had to be miles away from the battle, well out of sight, or else they were going to get a shell up the arse; but wireless radio technology was still about a decade away from filling the communications gap to allow them to receive accurate information and give timely orders from those distances.

So, as soon as you attack away from your field-telephones, the blokes on the ground are pissing about with carrier pigeons and runners, which isn't even remotely quick or foolproof. (They even tried chains of semaphore flags at one point, which achieved very little aside from providing the enemy with some target practice.) Meanwhile, the enemy's falling back on its own telephone lines and can communicate and respond in a sliver of a fraction of the time.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Retarded Pimp posted:

Thanks, now I know where Wojtek came from.

You can't hug your bear with nuclear arms:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

I love those maps. :allears:
You left a placeholder link for the day's papers, though.

quote:

10 Hours Ago

:(

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago
I've also found a link to some satirical "map of Europe" cartoons; I recognise a couple but I haven't seen all of them.

That Britain :stare:

Also, you mentioned a "featureless Sebia". It's not featureless. It's a pig.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Oh, it's a pig trying to crawl up Austria-Hungary's bum? Obviously. Don't know how I didn't see that before. :psyberger:

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Eric von Rosen...

Carl von Rosen, Eric's son, was one hell of a dude.

We held a The Most Interesting Man in the World contest, Carl von Rosen would have won it, easy.

Some highlights of his life:
-Hermann loving Goering was his uncle
-flew in a flying circus
-survived being mustard-gassed by Italians in Ethiopi
-bombed Russians in a DC-2
-smuggled secret documents out of the Netherlands during the Nazi invasion
-assigned to be UN General Secretary Dag Hammarskjöld's pilot in the Congo. At the last moment, von Rosen got sick and had to be replaced by another pilot. Hammarskjöld's plane crashed, killing everyone on aboard
-flew sea-skimming mission in a DC-7 flying food aid into Biafra
-converted sport planes into attack aircraft, formed a mercenary squadron called the "Biafra Babies" and then blew up half the Nigerian air force on the ground

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Bacarruda posted:

Carl von Rosen, Eric's son, was one hell of a dude.

We held a The Most Interesting Man in the World contest, Carl von Rosen would have won it, easy.

Some highlights of his life:
-Hermann loving Goering was his uncle
-flew in a flying circus
-survived being mustard-gassed by Italians in Ethiopi
-bombed Russians in a DC-2
-smuggled secret documents out of the Netherlands during the Nazi invasion
-assigned to be UN General Secretary Dag Hammarskjöld's pilot in the Congo. At the last moment, von Rosen got sick and had to be replaced by another pilot. Hammarskjöld's plane crashed, killing everyone on aboard
-flew sea-skimming mission in a DC-7 flying food aid into Biafra
-converted sport planes into attack aircraft, formed a mercenary squadron called the "Biafra Babies" and then blew up half the Nigerian air force on the ground

This guy is the greatest man to ever live

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Best flag is Oregon full stop

Giant gold emblem on one side? Check.

Huge loving gold beaver on the other? Oh yeah

Asymmetrically Two sided flags are the best and random goofy animals raise them to art. I have a hard time getting inspired by a geometric pattern, but I would follow the proudly waving golden beaver into the gaping maw of hell.
No no no. It's New Mexico's, because it's a symbol belonging to the Zia people in the colors of the Cross of Burgundy, the flag of the god drat Empire of Spain (the best empire? Maybe). Not just another state-seal-on-a-thing, which, sorry to say, Oregon's is. The two-sided part is cool though.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Was Hammerskojld's plane in a crash or was it shot down? Thought people were inclining to the latter.

• Locked thread