Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm thankful for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I'm thankful for

:agreed:

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

happy thanksgiving guys. It was my first ever! It was good

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thankful that in a week chucklefish will hit a new milestone for looking like lazy shits.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lotta people getting mad about video games in here.

Wait, I thought that's literally what video games were for.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Seriously though whens stable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Liquid Penguins posted:

Hi I know nothing about starbound except that I would like to try it when they finish it. Taken out of context this post makes the game look like a creepier second life. Good luck with this game!

Having not played second life I can't give you an accurate comparison but I would hazard a guess that you may not be far wrong with regards to the playerbase.

The game itself is fun though. Mods are too if you like dragon dildos or 90's skeletons.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

Any day now.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Ahundredbux posted:

To respond to your question i will post a huge changelog and say the update is soon and then not bring it up for 2 months.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ahundredbux posted:

Look deep within yourself. It was there all along.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Mokinokaro posted:

You're right, it was - until I took my morning dump. It is now deep within my toilet-transforming girlfriend.

Just noticed I got a different avatar. I miss being forum babby :*(

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why do you want a stable, to keep your centaur toilet-girls?

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Koobze posted:

You're right, it was - until I took my morning dump. It is now deep within my toilet-transforming girlfriend.

Just noticed I got a different avatar. I miss being forum babby :*(

:vince:

Got excited when I saw all the replies, this exchange made it slightly less disappointing.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tres Burritos posted:

:vince:

Got excited when I saw all the replies, this exchange made it slightly less disappointing.

Never come back here. We don't want your kind here.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I don't mind garbage dick talk at all

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

To respond to your question i will post a huge changelog and say the update is soon and then not bring it up for 2 months.

Update: It is at least 2 months sooner than before. And the changelog will be bigger.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
I built a little laboratory compound so I could go all Marquis Du Sade with my fellow Apex brethren. I think going airborne and piledriving a gigantic acid-spitting deer was a GREAT DESIGN IDEA and more things should be added like that. Midair battles with a powerful wilde beeste, or doing shots with robot James Buchanan.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I got the stable build, and I'm not sharing it

All the space blocks are mine now :colbert:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Is sandmining back yet?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

mutata posted:

Never come back here. We don't want your kind here.

Look dude I dunno about you and your hosed up urinal-transformation fetish but this is Toilet Transformation Zone.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Supernorn posted:

I didn't see anyone asking any specific questions. I can try to answer stuff if you sincerely want to know something.

I can confirm that no races will be able to transform into toilets. You'll have to wait for the unofficial mod.

Afraid of Audio posted:

When will the next stable version be released?

Section Z posted:

Well, I've seen a lot of stuff about the new tweaks to combat and food and enemies. But not a whole lot of stuff about actually making it any easier to survive, or heal yourself compared to current stable. Let alone a sense of progression beyond "Well, my gear is a new tier".

While this is highly opinion based, I am very down on the dev notes statements regarding "You will die in 3 hits to +1 enemies, forever." Which like old stable makes you forever have to work your way up to kind of competent, then back to worrying about getting one shot by stronger night monsters (or buffed by depth ones now) the second you step into a new biome, which you have to, because that's where the next tier ore is.

Similarly, expectations of weapons effectiveness. "Can kill 2 to 2.5 Even tier enemies with a gun before running out of energy, if you do not miss much that is. Super staff can kill ONE even tier enemy". Same looping treadmill feeling. The game loves to throw muptiple pairs of enemies at you as well, and the last thing I heard about guns was playing around with NERFING one handed ones because one handed guns meant you got to carry a flashlight in dark dungeons, and two of them was OP (If guns drain energy to the point you can only kill two enemies, wouldn't two guns drain twice as much energy? Or does it not work that way).

Making bandages heal larger amounts as mentioned in the past, step in the right direction. Adding a cooldown to that, AND food feels otherwise because constantly shoveling banana breads down my throat every other hit, while wearing impervium armor (or spending every waking moment with out max HP munching on banages) was just standard in old stable. Being able to eat some potato based recipie for a temporary +20 health (an example given in recent dev blogs) would likely not even help you survive a single extra hit as things are in nightly.

There SO MANY COOL THINGS. QoL features, new mechanics, assorted other cool things that have me looking forward to stable still. But combat/survivability "progression" was my one big problem with old stable, and current nightly. And every combat update or dev blog intention I hear about is all about adding new features or difficulty with no way to actually make you IMPROVE in a permanent sense except "Well, now that you have the very best gear for this tier, THIS tier won't swiftly murder you."

Oh right. Also the painful implications of not being able to wear armor on the Moon, because you will need the snow gear to survive the cold, as you dig up your FTL drive ores. (Bundling environment upgrades into each higher tier of armor past that is cool though).

My more optimistic expectations, is that when we FINALLY hit next stable (whenever the hell that is), beta input from a game more that isn't wiped constantly and not intended to just shortcut with dev commands should helpfully shake out long term survivability stuff. Well, if you can hear it between the two extremes of "SA shitpost thread" and "Official board posters who think you can do no wrong and not wanting to drop ore on death means you are a filthy casual who wants the game to play itself for you".

EDIT: Or the people who's answer to everything is "Shut up and learn to mod that then".
please norn

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
IronicDongz, I will always strive to make you happy:

Afraid of Audio posted:

When will the next stable version be released?

I'm pretty sure I already answered this a bunch. It's pretty close, and will be released as soon as it's ready to go. We have an internal goal of when we want the stable build to go out, but as it's fair to say we've never been good at estimating dates, the best I can give you is "soon".

Section Z posted:

The game loves to throw muptiple pairs of enemies at you as well, and the last thing I heard about guns was playing around with NERFING one handed ones because one handed guns meant you got to carry a flashlight in dark dungeons, and two of them was OP (If guns drain energy to the point you can only kill two enemies, wouldn't two guns drain twice as much energy? Or does it not work that way).

I thought this was a rhetorical question at first, but IronicDongz knew best. And to be fair, I can elaborate on those mechanics a bit. Know that right now the energy system is currently being reworked, and this includes how it affects guns. I don't think guns should be tied to energy personally, because it's not very fun for the reasons you gave. Like you said, the real problem is that you can only take on a few enemies before totally running out of energy. They'll probably end up tied to the new energy system in some way, and we're going to try to fix it.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 29, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Supernorn posted:

Update: It is at least 2 months sooner than before. And the changelog will be bigger.

endolithic posted:

Is sandmining back yet?

This is an important question.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Can you link the soon-log again, please.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

Here's some 2month old notes for the patch they said was coming out soon.
http://pastebin.com/jnZfRNL4

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I know they're not in any particular order, but the chair allignment cracks me up

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Supernorn posted:

I thought this was a rhetorical question at first, but IronicDongz knew best. And to be fair, I can elaborate on those mechanics a bit. Know that right now the energy system is currently being reworked, and this includes how it affects guns. I don't think guns should be tied to energy personally, because it's not very fun for the reasons you gave. Like you said, the real problem is that you can only take on a few enemies before totally running out of energy. They'll probably end up tied to the new energy system in some way, and we're going to try to fix it.

That is encouraging though, I remember thinking "Why does firing a bow take so much more energy per tier, despite also upgrading my armor to match?" back in old stable after bow energy nerfs/"tweaks", for example.

A player's Guns/energy is the least of my issues, but then any actual improvement in your combat capabilities instead of the current looping effectiveness/uselessness as you enter and leave biome tiers would be welcome.

I will admit I had more of a rambling wall of 'these are issues' and forgot to say "So give some input on these matters" at the end. Sadly at this point, pretty sure even if I worded it more specifically as "Could you give a statement on X mechanic/bug, while you are saying you will answer actual game related questions" it would have been skipped over. I assumed being basically one of the only posts legitimatly talking about gameplay and development statements in the past 80 pages would have been enough :v:

Ahundredbux posted:

I know they're not in any particular order, but the chair allignment cracks me up

This does please me, the craftable narrow vertically opening and closing doors that were slightly off drove me :spergin: crazy more though. Fairly sure more than just "Tier4" doors were wonky, but then they could have fixed more doors during all these months, hopefully.

EDIT: vvv This is a valid response to my hopes door being fixed sometime was not "A rhetorical question". :negative:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 30, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Section Z posted:

...but then they could have fixed more doors during all these months, hopefully.

lol

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Ammo sucks as a mechanic, but magazines could be fun. Infinite reserve ammo, but limited ammo in a "clip". You further diversify weapons with magazine capacity and reload times. Some guns could have no magazine limits but tax the energy pool instead. Might be too much work to implement at this point, but I imagine it is possible to mod in now that we have UI stuff and .lua scripts on weapons

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Hey why is moving backwards slower than forwards, it's not really fun at all and it didn't start out that way so

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Prop Wash posted:

Hey why is moving backwards slower than forwards, it's not really fun at all and it didn't start out that way so

:darksouls:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Win

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!
My two kids and a cousin visiting from out of town joined my server tonight while another cousin grouped up with them who was still out of state.

Grandma played 'the monster' and I gave her thousands upon thousands of grenades and she hunted the little bitches down and killed them repeatedly in glorious exploding carnage.

Everybody was on a mumble server and they played a few sessions over a couple hours, one of the best times they had in Starbound ever, to quote a five year old as we drank hot chocolate on our front patio while I said 'gently caress' and 'this loving sucks' and 'whose loving stupid loving idea was it to put lights on a house' atop a ladder.

Stupid rear end projection lasers aren't worth a poo poo, I wish that company had a secret SA forum to go post on so I could go poo poo all over their loving parade.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

You are a good dad BB

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Devs should get inspiration from games like Castlevania and River City Ransom regarding the current battle system.. oh and go full Contra Megaman with ammo clips and energy for super attacks on the weapon side.

I think the biggest problem is that the enemies are procedurally (sp?) generated; they have their set of mechanics that pop up at random but should be more hand tailored with easy-to-read moves that loop. A turtle monster that hides in it's shell to evade attacks every 5 seconds once it's below a certain health threshold and always does a powerful attack right after is more engaging that a walking poop that shoots fire at totally random times (even though poops themselves are more fun).

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Nov 30, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i remember when some contest thing was held where people would design creatures to be put in the game. there was some cool idea of some kinda blob(?) thing that would adapt to its biome or some poo poo. sounded neat.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i remember when some contest thing was held where people would design creatures to be put in the game. there was some cool idea of some kinda blob(?) thing that would adapt to its biome or some poo poo. sounded neat.

The winner was a poo poo monster.

If it wasnt the poo poo monster, I'm gonna pretend it was because God drat.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Party Alarm posted:

Ammo sucks as a mechanic, but magazines could be fun. Infinite reserve ammo, but limited ammo in a "clip". You further diversify weapons with magazine capacity and reload times. Some guns could have no magazine limits but tax the energy pool instead. Might be too much work to implement at this point, but I imagine it is possible to mod in now that we have UI stuff and .lua scripts on weapons

This is actually a literally good post.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Party Alarm posted:

This is a really good idea and would solve a lot of the problems I have with the energy/ammo system as it stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Imaginary Friend posted:

Devs should get inspiration from games like Castlevania and River City Ransom regarding the current battle system..

Tiy posted:

The more changes we make, the closer Starbound combat seems to get to Castlevania Symphony of the Night

:cawg:

• Locked thread