Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Manky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzuzvWme_Y

tbh I like how that sounds in places, I'd try one out

Finally an easy way to play elevator music!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Manky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzuzvWme_Y

tbh I like how that sounds in places, I'd try one out

so it's fingerstyle for babies

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Snotburst?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Trans Ecto Satin Cooler

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ThePutty posted:

so it's fingerstyle for babies

combine with a chordbuddy for true no-skill playing!

but idk, i don't think anybody is going to be better with that than they were without it. I mean, I'm stupid because despite only hybrid or finger picking I don't like finger picks and I can't stand having long finger nails. but plain fingers / calluses have lovely attack. so it interests me as a niche solution.

id like to see a model for the five string banjo, in fact

Dirt
May 26, 2003

The only thing wrong with that is the bigsby. Ugh, gross.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I love pick spergs because it makes me feel better for only using jazz iii's

Honestly if they made Jazz iii's in exotic materials and space age polymers I'd still probably keep using the good old red nylon ones.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Dirt posted:

The only thing wrong with that is the bigsby. Ugh, gross.

no actually the whole thing kinda blows

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014
RE this thing I'm gonna try and build when I get my christmas money from the relatives. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_electric_guitar_kit_vstyle.htm

Would it be worth looking into buying new pick-ups since I'm assuming for 70 quid they won't be very good. If so would it be easy and which ones would be recommended for playing lovely 80s worship metal with occasional OSDM stuff?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

HollisBrown posted:

Finally an easy way to play elevator music!

might as well just get those finger drumstick thingies tony levin uses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUjXvAPjO5g

IronLawnmower posted:

RE this thing I'm gonna try and build when I get my christmas money from the relatives. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_electric_guitar_kit_vstyle.htm

Would it be worth looking into buying new pick-ups since I'm assuming for 70 quid they won't be very good. If so would it be easy and which ones would be recommended for playing lovely 80s worship metal with occasional OSDM stuff?

artec rail humbuckers would be perfect and shouldn't cost more than like £20 for a set

make sure to get ones with the fat rails though like these

i have a pair in a lovely ltd sg and they're ridiculously loud

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 28, 2014

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Not the worst SG I've ever seen.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

Honestly if they made Jazz iii's in exotic materials and space age polymers I'd still probably keep using the good old red nylon ones.

the carbon fiber jazz iii is basically the end stage of pick design

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
John Cippolina from The Quicksilver Messenger Service had the best SG, or worst, I can't tell anymore.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

HollisBrown posted:

John Cippolina from The Quicksilver Messenger Service had the best SG, or worst, I can't tell anymore.

Man, those inlays would probably confuse me. Now I want a neck which just has all the dots in the wrong places but arrows that point to where they should be.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

the carbon fiber jazz iii is basically the end stage of pick design

How flexible are they because you're starting to bust down an autism floodgate.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

sout posted:

Man, those inlays would probably confuse me. Now I want a neck which just has all the dots in the wrong places but arrows that point to where they should be.

Put down a double dot on the eighth fret, pointing at nine and seven? I can see it.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
That Scott whateverhisname is youtube guy is my favorite. I like to pretend he was orphaned by his parents at a Stone's concert or something and some roadie took him in. Living in and out of an empty amp case and that's why he is the way he is.

I would totally buy the ugly Les Paul but not for $600. Mostly because I would trash the hell out of it and $600 is double what I usually prefer to spend. If it was an Epiphone at Epi prices I would be all over it.

Also, I would *seriously* be willing to drop $125 on a Chinese SG kit just to make the ChestG but, I live with 4 females with a range of age of 2.5 to 33. I'm pretty sure me making that in full view of them would break some law.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
make it then sew a little shirt with the most gaudy 80s fabric to cover it up while remaining in spirit to the guitar. leave enough buttons undone to expose the pickup hair

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
new Fender customer shop model... RELIC ALERT
seems it's no longer enough to just make a brand new guitar look 30+ years old.
Now they are making a brand new guitar look 30+ years old, with an amateur respray maybe 10 of those imaginary years ago?

click the link if you wanna see the price but I'm sure you can guess
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14111910065539

sout posted:

Now I want a neck which just has all the dots in the wrong places but arrows that point to where they should be.
that's brilliant. Surely a worthy addition to the goontar (but unlikely, are you using a pre-made neck WDE ? )

sout
Apr 24, 2014

You rolled a three, go down 10 frets!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Spanish Manlove posted:

How flexible are they because you're starting to bust down an autism floodgate.

stiff as a board

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Fair Hallion posted:

that's brilliant. Surely a worthy addition to the goontar (but unlikely, are you using a pre-made neck WDE ? )

Yea I am, no reason I can't put in some horrible mismatched dots though.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Fair Hallion posted:

Now they are making a brand new guitar look 30+ years old, with an amateur respray maybe 10 of those imaginary years ago?

Actually, it was pretty frequent of them to respray bad sunburst at the factory or in the early sixties when the sunburst wouldn't sell, they called them back and resprayed them.

This is why you find "<sixties fender color> over sunburst" strats.

edit: but you never see the sunburst that exposed, this is more like it:

Olivil fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Olivil posted:

Actually, it was pretty frequent of them to respray bad sunburst at the factory or in the early sixties when the sunburst wouldn't sell, they called them back and resprayed them.

This is why you find "<sixties fender color> over sunburst" strats.

aaaaah I see.
So it's just possible that such a 60s strat, played for decades, could end up actually looking a bit like that... makes a bit more sense.
except for the knobs. Those are some stark white new lookin knobs on that, FCS

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Yeah relics are stupid music poo poo nonetheless

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

stiff as a board

they're good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

comes along bort posted:

stiff as a board

hmm, I like them to have a tiny bit of flex, but I'll look for them.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Fair Hallion posted:

click the link if you wanna see the price but I'm sure you can guess
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=14111910065539

lmfao

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Spanish Manlove posted:

Jazz II red! :argh:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now that thanksgiving's over I can post some blurry Chickenbacker pictures. Disclaimer: I've never owned a bass, will probably just use it for Rocksmith, and have hardly played much guitar in the last 15 years. Anything I ever actually record with it will probably just be some downtuned layers of noise, so someone else can provide a more informative review.

Basically I'm happy although I know I could have spent the money more wisely. The green sparkle finish makes it worth it :v: Soundwise I don't even know, it worked with Rocksmith and seemed to stay in tune after pounding the strings for a while.

As seen in my ghetto post office

The frets and markers seem fine, I won't be slicing my fingers on sharp edges at least.

Here's where the most noticeable problems lie. The nut is looking pretty lovely, all crooked with the truss rod cover pushed up on it. If I ever bother to get it set up I'll have to have something done about it.

And the headstock has a couple dips in the surface that aren't very deep but catch in the light.

Also it seemed like everything on my wishlist went on sale within a few weeks so if you're considering buying something from aliexpress maybe wait a bit and there's a good chance of saving a few bucks.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Snowy posted:

seemed to stay in tune after pounding the strings for a while.

That's pretty much all that matters when you're buying a no-brand guitar.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

My main playability issue was the second fret being too high on one side, so I had to sand it down without proper fretwork tools. Need to send photos of the main issues to the seller so I can get a refund. That nut is awful, not sure how you can gently caress it up that badly but oh well.

WDE, can I pick your brain again? We discussed potting pickups ages ago and I had a shot at it last night for reasons I'll write up a gigantic post with pictures and so on about later, but how do you stop wax pouring out of covered pickups when you want to fill them with it to completely stop microphonics etc? I managed to find my own way to do it but it's far from ideal.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 29, 2014

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

Need to send photos of the main issues to the seller so I can get a refund.

Have you done that before? Maybe I should send some pictures of my tilted nut to try to get some money back. I just figured it was a crapshoot but maybe it's worth it to bitch a little.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Snowy posted:

Have you done that before? Maybe I should send some pictures of my tilted nut to try to get some money back. I just figured it was a crapshoot but maybe it's worth it to bitch a little.

No, but this guy seems receptive. My biggest issue was the wrong body wood though which should basically guarantee it. If you're not planning on placing a tonne of purchases you probably don't have much to lose, and that nut is pretty egregious so you probably could get something, maybe enough to fix it depending how much work it is or w/e.

e: I also managed to slice my index finger while working on this pickup so now I can't really play for a couple of days. I'm really good at this.

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 29, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

how do you stop wax pouring out of covered pickups when you want to fill them with it to completely stop microphonics etc? I managed to find my own way to do it but it's far from ideal.
Do the covers have holes to allow adjustable (screw) pole-pieces to be raised/lowered?

If not, I don't know.

If so, I've done this and it worked:

Lower the adjustable pole pieces until they are below the pickup cover. Tape over the exposed holes with masking tape.
I heated up Gulf wax in a pyrex bowl over a pot of hot water and monitored the temp very closely with my digital cooking thermometer, as temps around 155F and up can melt the plastic bobbins inside the cover and ruin the pickup. Some people add some beeswax (easily obtained from a beeswax candle) to keep the wax moister longer (so it doesn't dry out and get microphonic as soon over time) but I read an article about Lindy Fralin and how he has stopped using it. The article is here.

Once the wax is melted (actually all of this is in the article I just linked) I suspended the pickup in the wax until the last of the air bubbles work themselves out. It can take quite awhile. I helped the process along by tilting the pickup several times.

It was a little nerve-wracking the first time because the wax temp tried to run away on me more than once. I had to babysit it and stare at the thermometer constantly and react to any creep upwards in temp. I aimed for 135F but once it started creeping up a reduction in heat wouldn't stop the temp going up for quite awhile. I almost had to abort a couple times until I got the hang of my particular heat source.

Removed the pickup and placed it on newspaper to cool overnight, did the other one and set it down next to the first.
Next day, I removed the tape, raised the pole pieces back up, and started wiping away the wax from the cover.

Cleaning the wax off is a pain but it's not so bad. I had to do the bridge pickup twice before I got it right. That was fun, wiring all those tiny connections to the push/pull switch. Hi, microphonic feedback. You're still here. De-soldering all those connections and doing it again. Wiring all those connections back to the push/pull switch. Ugh. But no more microphonic feedback, problem solved. Only cost me a few bucks for a pound of paraffin and a lot of time. I'd be a lot more confident next time I wanted to do it.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Do the covers have holes to allow adjustable (screw) pole-pieces to be raised/lowered?

If not, I don't know.

If so, I've done this and it worked:

Lower the adjustable pole pieces until they are below the pickup cover. Tape over the exposed holes with masking tape.
I heated up Gulf wax in a pyrex bowl over a pot of hot water and monitored the temp very closely with my digital cooking thermometer, as temps around 155F and up can melt the plastic bobbins inside the cover and ruin the pickup. Some people add some beeswax (easily obtained from a beeswax candle) to keep the wax moister longer (so it doesn't dry out and get microphonic as soon over time) but I read an article about Lindy Fralin and how he has stopped using it. The article is here.

Once the wax is melted (actually all of this is in the article I just linked) I suspended the pickup in the wax until the last of the air bubbles work themselves out. It can take quite awhile. I helped the process along by tilting the pickup several times.

It was a little nerve-wracking the first time because the wax temp tried to run away on me more than once. I had to babysit it and stare at the thermometer constantly and react to any creep upwards in temp. I aimed for 135F but once it started creeping up a reduction in heat wouldn't stop the temp going up for quite awhile. I almost had to abort a couple times until I got the hang of my particular heat source.

Removed the pickup and placed it on newspaper to cool overnight, did the other one and set it down next to the first.
Next day, I removed the tape, raised the pole pieces back up, and started wiping away the wax from the cover.

Cleaning the wax off is a pain but it's not so bad. I had to do the bridge pickup twice before I got it right. That was fun, wiring all those tiny connections to the push/pull switch. Hi, microphonic feedback. You're still here. De-soldering all those connections and doing it again. Wiring all those connections back to the push/pull switch. Ugh. But no more microphonic feedback, problem solved. Only cost me a few bucks for a pound of paraffin and a lot of time. I'd be a lot more confident next time I wanted to do it.

Thanks for that. I tried masking tape but it came off in the wax, but I might not have had the pole pieces low enough.. I think a lot of my problem aside from that was that the container I was using was a tin can and not large enough to place the pickup upside down. I can always redo it later if this hasn't fixed the problem.

I didn't have a thermometer on hand (I know, I'm the worst), but I was using a slow cooker with a double boiler set up so the temperature was pretty steady throughout - the first one I did has some plastic that would melt well before the bobbin and that had no issues at all. Might have something to do with the mix of candles and wax melts I used (have trouble finding paraffin here and had a lot of candles lying around), as some of them have a lower melting point than regular paraffin.

As for fralin, if beeswax darkens your tone then I'm sure the honey and vanilla scent of the wax mixture I ended up with will make mine kind of generic but with sweet highs, gooey mids and syrupy lows.

e: uurghh it was working, and then I moved the capacitors for the 50's wiring to between the two pots rather than connecting them with a wire and the soldering the cap to ground, first the bridge pickup stopped working and then the neck pickup also stopped without provocation. Arhghghghghghghghgh

Nostalgic Pushead fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 29, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey, you're good. This is how pretty much all of us learn this poo poo. By setting out bravely to attempt something we haven't done before, loving it up somewhere between "moderately" and "beyond repair," then backtracking and figuring out what we did wrong.
Hell, I've put new electronics in a ton of guitars, mine and those belonging to my friends, and I often still approach each one trying to remember how to read my wiring diagrams and decoding what color wire is which wire based on the manufacturer. I rarely get anything right on the first try, because I just don't do it often enough to keep it fresh in my mind.

From your post I'd say your #1 issue is not having the pickup up-side down. Also, I happened to have a roll of very wide masking tape which nearly covered the entire surface of that nickel cover with one piece. It didn't go anywhere.

I bought Gulf Wax paraffin from the canning section of a grocery store. I bought the thermometer because I wanted to eat chicken breasts that were baked just to cooked but not dried out. I might have spent as much as $15 for it at WalMart. The pickup was suspended from a couple plastic rods that were taped together and some black thread. It isn't exactly the safest way to do it but it was extremely cheap. To be fair, though, DiMarzio is awesome about this. I asked what it would cost to pot my Eric Johnsons (I bought and installed the covers myself and HELLO SQUEAL) and they said if I paid to ship them they'd do it right for $25 a pickup. That's a pretty good deal. I just figured if a lunkhead like EVH can wind his own pickups (if he's even honest about that) and pot them himself, then I should be able to do it, too. The article just gave me the confidence to try it.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Anyone recognize this guitar?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

Anyone recognize this guitar?

No, I'm too busy recoiling in horror at the rest of the photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
this is from a few pages back but yo compression isn't very complicated guys

• Locked thread