Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

StashAugustine posted:

I know it's terrible to say this but I kind of hope it happens so Putin the PROTECTOR OF TRADITIONAL CHRISTIANITY is left holding the bag on an excommunicated patriarch.

I don't think it will make too much of an impact. Kirill can just excommunicate all other patriarchs and carry on protecting traditional Russian values. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Paladinus posted:

I don't think it will make too much of an impact. Kirill can just excommunicate all other patriarchs and carry on protecting traditional Russian values. :v:

Plus if I understand politics in the Orthodox Church right, Kirill won't be alone, and at least a handful of other Partiarchs might actually side with him. Obviously there would be some backlash within Russia but I don't think it will be big enough that he'd be forced to resign over it or change his ways.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, Catholic goons, any comments about Pope Francis' speech before the EU parliament?

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Not having read it, I'm hesitant to comment. I have learned never ever ever to trust any of the usual media outlets when it comes to Papal speeches, especially from this Pope.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So it was a good speech. Lots of economic justice and respect for human beings. Big plea for justice for immigrants in Europe. Now we just need people to take his advice.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
It's a very nice speech. I wonder if Colbert will say anything about it.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
It's the day after Thanksgiving, which means that my annual war against all modern Christmas music has commenced. No power on earth can stop me from blasting Praetorius and various Lessons and Carols excerpts night and day.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
The local Christmas station here was playing Christina Perri's version of Ave Maria, which I found very lovely. Does that count as "modern," because it's a current artist? I admit a fondness for Burl Ives.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AGirlWonder posted:

The local Christmas station here was playing Christina Perri's version of Ave Maria, which I found very lovely. Does that count as "modern," because it's a current artist? I admit a fondness for Burl Ives.

GAR-
BAGE
DICK

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Smoking Crow posted:

GAR-
BAGE
DICK

NEW
STUPID

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

my dad posted:

NEW
STUPID

Smoking Crow posted:

GAR-
BAGE
DICK

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bel_Canto posted:

It's the day after Thanksgiving, which means that my annual war against all modern Christmas music has commenced. No power on earth can stop me from blasting Praetorius and various Lessons and Carols excerpts night and day.

I'm with you.

Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium. :rock:

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Bel_Canto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km24LSPdp5g

They may be evangelicals, but they do some awesome arrangements of christmasAdvent songs.

(their version of Were You There on the other hand...leaves a bit to be desired. But they're still pretty nifty.)

I just hate that no church here does a proper midnight mass. The church i grew up in started with carols pretty much as soon as the choir rehearsal was over (since we have the alumni choir + brass for Christmas and Easter they have trouble fitting everyone in the choir hall) and then the actual service started at 10, and ran straight through midnight, with the rector generally planning a sermon that could be tailored in length to the size of the crowd, since the post-communion hymn was always silent night, and it was always timed so that it would hit at midnight, and the church would go down to darkness and the last verse is on the bells, and i know i've told this like 1000x in this thread but its just SO GODDAMN BEAUTIFUL.

E: yeah i can't copy+paste correctly.

And to end on a more traditional note, have my second favorite christmas carol (while i cry with homesickness because my home church was so obviously modeled on Kings College Chapel straight down to copying some of the scenes from their windows for its stained glass)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGMV-fujUY

And cause i stumbled across something that reminded me of it - have my favorite piece of worship music, we did this at christmas one year, and i fell in love: (only obv. accomp by organ and not full orchestra)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paBfEVaEKEM

And have one designed for thanksgiving, with my fav arraingment (Rutter - fun fact, my old choirmaster is good buddies with him. So we did a lot of Rutter)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTOfSKXkRa0

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 29, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

AA is for Quitters posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km24LSPdp5

They may be evangelicals, but they do some awesome arrangements of christmasAdvent songs.

(their version of Were You There on the other hand...leaves a bit to be desired. But they're still pretty nifty.)

I just hate that no church here does a proper midnight mass.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

GAR-
BAGE
DICK

Very observant.

Do any of y'all celebrate Hanukkah? I have a couple of Pentecostal friends that do, and I was just wondering if it was anyone other than non-liturgical Protestants.

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 30, 2014

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AGirlWonder posted:

Very observant.

Do any of y'all celebrate Hanukkah? I have a couple of Pentecostal friends that do, and I was just wondering if it was anyone other than non-liturgical Protestants.

I know one Catholic Jewish couple who do, but that's about it.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Bel_Canto posted:

Is it a war against Christmas music in general or just modern stuff? I find it amusing because in my parish our rector can't stand Christmas carols in Advent. He has gotten a fair amount of guff from various parishioners over the past two decades because for our traditional Lessons and Carols service he still doesn't allow Christmas Carols, only advent hymns, though there was a beautiful rendition of Handel's Messiah by the choir one year.

As we were preparing before the service last week he commented that he'd made the illy mistake of turning on the local Christian radio station during the drive in to church and they're already playing Christmas music.

Luckily for me, Veni Emmanuel is one of my favourite hymns so I get to hear it a few times during Advent.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

my dad posted:

NEW
STUPID

I miss stupid newbie.

VVV There's also that very good French advent carol that is very good and whose name is escaping me. I think it's "O Come divine Messiah" in English, but I like the French language version better.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 1, 2014

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PantlessBadger posted:

Is it a war against Christmas music in general or just modern stuff? I find it amusing because in my parish our rector can't stand Christmas carols in Advent. He has gotten a fair amount of guff from various parishioners over the past two decades because for our traditional Lessons and Carols service he still doesn't allow Christmas Carols, only advent hymns, though there was a beautiful rendition of Handel's Messiah by the choir one year.

As we were preparing before the service last week he commented that he'd made the illy mistake of turning on the local Christian radio station during the drive in to church and they're already playing Christmas music.

Luckily for me, Veni Emmanuel is one of my favourite hymns so I get to hear it a few times during Advent.

He's quite right, and i keep the same rule at my parish. Advent is a time of waiting, with it's own distinct corpus of music. Christmas (and with it Christmas music) cannot begin until the Savoir is born.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

AGirlWonder posted:

Very observant.

A lot of Pentecostals and random charismatic types seem to be big on Judaizing stuff lately (calling God Yahweh, calling Jesus Yeshua, greeting each other with shalom). Any reason for this latest trend?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Probably just to build support for Jews and Israel, since their interpretation of Revelation requires Israel to exist and the Third Temple to be built before the end times can begin.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I think it's distinct from that, since nothing need be done to encourage support for the state of Israel among Evangelicals--I think they're looking for traditions and ritual.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
HEY GAL's got it- they're looking for traditions, and going WAY back. One friend I spoke with views the Hanukkah story as something of a type, particularly when it comes to the symbolism of the lights. I told her that the fulfillment she sees in Hanukkah, I see in Advent. (Being about God blessing the world and His people, etc. It's been a few days.) It has nothing to do with Israel.

They also appreciate the idea of going back to Christianity's Jewish roots. I think that's enhanced by our living in Utah. The LDS used to point to the Hellenization of Christianity as evidence of the Great Apostasy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Of course I'm biased from my experience in my own background/s, but human beings need rituals. They'll make their own if they don't have any--even if the tenets of their religion (Calvinism I think, American Evangelical Protestantism) tell them it's wrong to do so.

AGirlWonder posted:

They also appreciate the idea of going back to Christianity's Jewish roots. I think that's enhanced by our living in Utah. The LDS used to point to the Hellenization of Christianity as evidence of the Great Apostasy.
It's not just the Mormons, the controversy over "what Athens has to do with Jerusalem" has been going on forever. It's about a lot of things, too: the proper relationship between Hellenization and the Jewish roots of Christianity, the tension between revelation and the use of the intellect, how "intellectual" your religion should be, etc.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 1, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

Of course I'm biased from my experience in my own background/s, but human beings need rituals. They'll make their own if they don't have any--even if the tenets of their religion (Calvinism I think, American Evangelical Protestantism) tell them it's wrong to do so.

Eh... Evangelical Protestantism is generally careful to draw a line between sacrament as a spiritual command and ritual as simply a tradition. Most Evangelical churches have plenty of their own traditions and rituals, but they don't confuse them with actual sacraments.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Yeah, I grew up in an evangelical household that did(still do) Hanukkah. We did it mostly because my Dad grew up Jewish, he thought Christmas had too much Paganism in its history so we didn't do that, and he wanted us to not feel like lepers while everyone else was celebrating. We didn't read scripture or attribute any spiritual characteristics to it at all really.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Eh... Evangelical Protestantism is generally careful to draw a line between sacrament as a spiritual command and ritual as simply a tradition. Most Evangelical churches have plenty of their own traditions and rituals, but they don't confuse them with actual sacraments.

That... doesn't conflict with what she said? And yes to Evangelical rituals, but they definitely don't tend to have the same historical or spiritual meaning as we often want/need. I can very loosely use ritual as a means to label what we do every Sunday, and my church's baptisms. But these things are new versions of very old traditions, so (for me at least) they don't carry the same weight.

Ex. We can have a service celebrating our connection to Judaism. It could be awesome, but it doesn't compare to observing a millennia-old holiday.

(Two ships passing in the night?)

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

He's quite right, and i keep the same rule at my parish. Advent is a time of waiting, with it's own distinct corpus of music. Christmas (and with it Christmas music) cannot begin until the Savoir is born.

I quite agree. Hence the original question of whether it was a problem simply with modern Christmas music, or the fact that it was Christmas music being played during Advent.

Regarding the Parish rule, I think for parishes which don't observe it and do allow Christmas hymns/carols prior to Christmas, it must detract from both the Advent season and Christmas itself. I absolutely love Lessons and Carols (the summation of Advent), candlelight Christmas Eve and Christmas morning itself. Beautiful services...

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

PantlessBadger posted:

Oh I just think most modern Christmas music is poo poo and prefer my Christmas joy to be solemn, in minor keys, and if possible polyphonic.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

Oh I just think most modern Christmas music is poo poo and prefer my Christmas joy to be solemn, in minor keys, and if possible polyphonic.
Keys, not modes? What is this modernizing bull poo poo

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

HEY GAL posted:

Keys, not modes? What is this modernizing bull poo poo

Mode 2 whattup.

Drop that arsic. Belt those neumes.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Cythereal posted:

I dunno, I feel like this point really can only be discussed if one considers the Evangelicals who conflate not doing something "because we believe XYZ" versus "because that's something Catholics do". Also, Advent isn't a sacrament.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
I'm sure this has already gone around, but what are y'all's favorite Christmas traditions? I don't have any that are religious, because my parents put out a Nativity set each year and that was that. But we always watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's one of the few things we have to do every year. I suppose that's something of a religious observance.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

AGirlWonder posted:

I'm sure this has already gone around, but what are y'all's favorite Christmas traditions? I don't have any that are religious, because my parents put out a Nativity set each year and that was that. But we always watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. It's one of the few things we have to do every year. I suppose that's something of a religious observance.

How to make a hellacious mess of even the largest kitchen in three easy steps!

Also, if I'm going to church with my family, which is still Catholic, when we come back from Midnight Mass we have sausage, hard boiled eggs, and oranges, and drink Asti.

(Slice the sausage thinly and stack it with a slice of egg and a round thin slice of orange, peel removed. It's like a tiny sandwich.)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My family always has a Christmas breakfast--usually at my uncle's, but this year my parents are hosting. I'm not as close to my dad's side of the family, so it's usually the only time other than the family reunion in May that I get to see them. There's always chocolate gravy, as there has been ever since my grandmother hosted.

As for religion... well, usually I go to midnight mass at the downtown Episcopal churches, but I'm hoping to check out the Nativity service at the Greek Orth. church. (of course, I'd like to show up sometime before then... Thanks to bad sleeping habits and attention going elsewhere, I haven't actually been to church since August. Anybody ever have periods like that?)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

My family always had bratwurst, spätzle, and baked apples on Christmas Eve. The meal was done either before or after the service depending on the time of day the church had its service, since we moved around.

We also had an Advent wreath at the dinner table that we would light during supper each evening during the season. It made passing the dishes around the table more of an adventure. My little brother and I used to fight over who got to light and blow out the candles :)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

My family always had bratwurst, spätzle, and baked apples on Christmas Eve.
[ASK] HEGEL and Lutha Mahtin about their ethnic stereotypes!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I dunno what Irish/Polish/English/German fusion would look like outside of lots of beer. (My family does have pierogies on St. Stanislaus' day, in part cause I'm named after him.) For Christmas we usually just got to midnight Mass and watch Scrooged when Mom's asleep.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

After Christmas morning mass, we go home and open presents while drinking coffee/chocolate and eating pan dulce and sopapillas and stuff. Then a big Christmas ham dinner at grandma's house that afternoon/evening usually. Growing up it was similar except things were done on Christmas Eve and there was always lefse and lutafisk inolved (grew up with my Dad and step mom and my step mom's family is all Norwegian Lutheran).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

My family always had bratwurst, spätzle, and baked apples on Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve goonmeet, plz? :v:

• Locked thread