Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Severely disappointed I didn't get a shot of Harrison Ford mailing it in in the trailer. I guess I"ll have to wait for the actual movie for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Davros1 posted:

I'm irrationally pissed off at the sight of the droid. Don't know why, but I loving hate it.

I loved the teaser, but the opening shot seemed really off to me, like almost goofy, and then I saw that droid and I was like 'oh, another joke trailer...'

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
The ipad era R series droid

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spacebump posted:

Remember how everyone in A New Hope thought the Falcon looked like a piece of junk? I wonder if that means in the new trilogy random people think it looks even worse since it's 30 years later.

Nope, now it's been long enough that they think it's retro cool!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ijyt posted:

I'm trying to figure out what function it has if any. Maybe those circles are little flaps that open up to reveal whatever the gently caress droids have gently caress it.

Kind of:

(it's a fan drawing of some as-of-yet unseen concept art of the droid)

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 28, 2014

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Fucker works like my Dyson hoover.

Slugworth posted:

I loved the teaser, but the opening shot seemed really off to me, like almost goofy, and then I saw that droid and I was like 'oh, another joke trailer...'

I got a touch of Indy Jones in Raiders when he is looking for Marion in the baskets then walks into the courtyard and everyone has baskets. Sort of exasperated.

Bigsteve fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 28, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That droid needs to be going "whoop whoop whoop whoop!" As it books away.

I love it because it reminds me of

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
People are down on ball droid? I think it looks potentially neat. Fits the pattern of Star Wars droids who are just abstract shapes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

In a movie universe where the loving gonk droid exists I think we can appreciate the absurdity and awesomeness of ball droid.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

hhhat posted:

I think to complete this we need to point out that the video compression crushed some of the blacks.

Jesus, again with the Stormtrooper comments...

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

e X posted:

I really didn't like the new Star Trek movies, specifically because I thought Abraham's style

Abraham Lincoln is the best movie director

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

In a movie universe where the loving gonk droid exists I think we can appreciate the absurdity and awesomeness of ball droid.

Exactly. The gonk, that little box on wheels in the Death Star, the floating ball carrying a hypodermic, R2 himself- it's traditional.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

reagan posted:

Isn't the Sith dude doing some grave robbing? I'm hoping that the snowy forest is actually a post-apocalyptic Endor after the second Death Star's explosion caused catastrophic climate change. Abrams is a big enough nerd to put this into the movie.

Yes he is according to leaked artwork.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
10/10 have watched a dozen times and will watch a dozen more.

Unreasonably hyped for this since a) I freaking love Star Wars OT and b) I really like JJ Abrams movies. He's a great sense of dramatic scenes (the Enterprise coming out of the rings of Saturn, for example) and I love how...kinetic...his movies feel. The Falcon doing that crazy rear end maneuver at breakneck speeds towards the Tie Fighters is a great example of that.

Something about the Falcon's radar dome dish kept bugging me (square instead of circle) until I remembered today that it got knocked off in ROTJ during the assault on the Death Star with Lando at the proverbial yoke. They completely nailed the X Wing and Falcon engine sounds though. Hearing the Falcon again gives me goosebumps.

Speaking of Lando, if he doesn't make an appearance as a super space pimp, I'll be disappointed, though.

Tide fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 28, 2014

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
As far as the laser hilt, it actually looks a little like those little points aren't so much blades as venting plasma.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Maxwell Lord posted:

Exactly. The gonk, that little box on wheels in the Death Star, the floating ball carrying a hypodermic, R2 himself- it's traditional.

I guess I could be down for this, but the ball doesn't look like metal to me - it's got much more of a handball type texture (Specularity? Not sure if I can put it into words correctly).

I suppose it could be a padded exterior since if it rolls around everywhere....

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think that it looks like that it looks directly at the camera that's pissing me off. I hate those little "winks".

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
A minor thing I noticed was the Falcon has a different dish on top....because it lost its original circular one during ROTJ.

It's the little stuff.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Well, I loved it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The official Star Wars Youtube channel's posting of the trailer only has 666,000 views whereas Movieclips has over 2 million. :negative:

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The official Star Wars Youtube channel's posting of the trailer only has 666,000 views whereas Movieclips has over 2 million. :negative:

I think the brand will survive, dude

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

Severely disappointed I didn't get a shot of Harrison Ford mailing it in in the trailer. I guess I"ll have to wait for the actual movie for that.

:stat: :wal: "I thought he gave a better performance frozen in carbonite!" :wookie:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

The greatest injustice of our generation

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Is there a sort of precedent in franchise films for Episode 7 at all? I can't really think of any other major film series where the "main cast" returns long after the fact to play older versions of their previous characters. It's fortunate it worked out that way, but it's still a little weird to think about.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That light saber cross-guard doesn't make any sense to me. It's cool though.

I just don't get how it would work, couldn't someone just slide their saber down it's blade and cut through the cross guard emitter?

Then again nothing ever stopped Jedi or Sith from doing that before and cutting through someones fingers, so it's not like it light sabers ever really made a whole lot of sense to begin with.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Soccer-droid rules, lightsaber hilt rules, terrified black stormtrooper rules. gently caress yeah.

Josh Lyman posted:

How could a human being care about this

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Josh Lyman posted:

Pretty sure Disney will get most if not all ad revenue from the Movieclips post.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d
R2-FIFA is the best new droid.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Sepp the Hutt

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Anyone complaining that this doesn't look like Star Wars is 100% correct. It does not look like the previous six Lucas-headed films. Attempting to ape that style would be a huge creativity-stifling mistake. Don't go in expecting Star Wars, go in expecting new films set in the Star Wars universe. You'll enjoy yourselves more.

Having said all that, looks loving great. Huge stylistic shot in the arm for the series.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

Anyone complaining that this doesn't look like Star Wars is 100% correct. It does not look like the previous six Lucas-headed films. Attempting to ape that style would be a huge creativity-stifling mistake. Don't go in expecting Star Wars, go in expecting new films set in the Star Wars universe. You'll enjoy yourselves more.

Having said all that, looks loving great. Huge stylistic shot in the arm for the series.

None of it looked stiff and they showed off a mix of old and new ideas. Can't wait.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

How could a human being care about this
Because...

berserker posted:

Pretty sure Disney will get most if not all ad revenue from the Movieclips post.
Oh, well then, all is right.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hobo Siege posted:

This is exactly why I'm so jazzed for JJs Star Wars.

gregday
May 23, 2003

It's been so long since I've seen a Star Wars so here's a guide to help you re-familiarize yourself with the various races in the Star Wars universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-R070qHYw

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Josh Lyman posted:

Because...

Oh, well then, all is right.

That is a relief, admittedly. I was really worried that Disney wasn't doing well financially, hopefully this Star Wars VII thing can turn it all around

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I don't know if I can handle reading about the claymore saber for another year+

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I think it all looks pretty cool, having actual props for a change does make a difference I guess

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Jesus, again with the Stormtrooper comments...

I love you

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

oddium posted:

I don't know if I can handle reading about the claymore saber for another year+

Good news. There is actually a reality outside of the Internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

All this dumb lightsaber chat and no one posts a pic of that guy from the EU with lightsabers coming out of his knees? For shame.

• Locked thread