Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

An Angry Bug posted:

Is it normal for the paint to start peeling off along with the primer beneath at the slightest hint of water? Because that's the newest hurdle I'm facing in my quest to paint a single loving MINIATURE. :bang:

What sort of mini is it? Reaper Bones in particular REALLY don't take well to some spray primers. I have minis which are still slightly tacky six months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
GW plastic marine, trimmed, primed with goon-reccommended primer, left to dry, painted using acrylic Valejo paint. Was the advice I got about priming when it was cold wrong? Because other sites seem to contradict it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Doubt it would be cold enough to matter.

Probably grease or mould release left on the mini before priming. Did you wash it beforehand?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You don't need to wash plastic GW minis.

Could be grease, could be that its your first mini and you've overcooked it and all the stuff you've done to 'fix' it has made the paint peel off.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
It was low 40s Farenheit. Gonna try to save it with patch-ups, because having to start over again would be pretty demoralizing.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Alright, making progress I'm happier with on the huge red dragon; I decided to try and go with a pass at dry-brushing with a combo of the bronze flesh and more orange-ish suggestions, since I wasn't so sure how gray would work out--ended up doing something along the lines of dragon red + reaper's golden skin & pumpkin orange, since the pumpkin which came with the Halloween bag was a more 'muted' look. It ended up a vaguely orange/pink combo initially:

Still, even like that it seemed to give it a hell of a lot more character than with how flat the base red + red washes had made things. Once the dry-brushing was situated, I went back through again with a dark red wash--and this time I tried to make a point of wicking it back up from highlighted areas while concentrating it a bit more in the shadows + laying it on a bit more thickly there. I think the effect it gave was a solid advance. I also did some light grey dry-brushing on the horns and claws for later tweaking, but even with it in a rough state I think it helped break it up. Finally, I painted its teeth, which I had overlooked somehow when doing my original base coat:

It's still glossy pending another coat of varnish and the like, but I wanted to take a shot while it was still shiny to try and show off some of the shadowing / highlighting efforts. I'm probably a bit late to try and do anything meaningful about the gaps between the wings and body (though they're still not permanently attached yet.)

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

More nearly finished stuff as I test out another photo backdrop. Better photos to come this weekend.

Sin Assyris, Dirz character by Rackham.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Not a viking posted:

Please buy my chaos space marines! I have a wedding to fund!

If you can, chuck in a picture of the full army and make it the default picture; at the moment, tons of people are going to click past thinking it's just three models. Good luck!

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

GaistHeidegger posted:

Alright, making progress I'm happier with on the huge red dragon; I decided to try and go with a pass at dry-brushing with a combo of the bronze flesh and more orange-ish suggestions, since I wasn't so sure how gray would work out--ended up doing something along the lines of dragon red + reaper's golden skin & pumpkin orange, since the pumpkin which came with the Halloween bag was a more 'muted' look. It ended up a vaguely orange/pink combo initially:

Still, even like that it seemed to give it a hell of a lot more character than with how flat the base red + red washes had made things. Once the dry-brushing was situated, I went back through again with a dark red wash--and this time I tried to make a point of wicking it back up from highlighted areas while concentrating it a bit more in the shadows + laying it on a bit more thickly there. I think the effect it gave was a solid advance. I also did some light grey dry-brushing on the horns and claws for later tweaking, but even with it in a rough state I think it helped break it up. Finally, I painted its teeth, which I had overlooked somehow when doing my original base coat:

It's still glossy pending another coat of varnish and the like, but I wanted to take a shot while it was still shiny to try and show off some of the shadowing / highlighting efforts. I'm probably a bit late to try and do anything meaningful about the gaps between the wings and body (though they're still not permanently attached yet.)

I think that looks waaay better - the scales have great depth and shine now. Right now the only thing is the eyes look a little bland, they're large enough that you could do an iris in there I think.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sulecrist posted:

Awesome, thanks for your help. Bought all of it; hopefully my neighbors don't complain about the noise. I'm excited to finally start working on vehicles.

Good! I forgot to mention a bottle of thinner - at least a 4 oz bottle so you have enough to last you a little while (I get the biggest bottle I can find and decant it into a small bottle). The thinner is not just your paint thinner but is also your airbrush cleaner.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Can anyone give me any advice on using brass rod to replace spindly bits of resin on spears and suchlike? My Ludus Magnus reward from Arena Rex arrived yesterday, and the minis are awesome but I ordered so many dudes spears because spears are rad, and they're incredibly thin and bendy.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

dr_ether posted:

More nearly finished stuff as I test out another photo backdrop. Better photos to come this weekend.

Sin Assyris, Dirz character by Rackham.

With the better lighting/background these things are really popping. God I love me some classic Rackham!

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Dr. Phildo posted:

With the better lighting/background these things are really popping. God I love me some classic Rackham!

Cheers. Yeah the backdrops do help a lot.

And the latest Kingdom Death update is up, so glad I backed that and have had all this Rackham stuff to practice on before that arrives.

p.s. yeah, it's Black Friday meaning people can go pledge for Kingdom Death if they missed it!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Okay, basing is all done, model is now in the store's hands until the judging begins. Having seen the competition, I don't think I have much chance, but I'm still really happy with the way he turned out.

Used some aquarium furniture to make the basing elements. Base itself is a bit of green stuff and red oxide paste, washed with agrax earthshade.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If anyone was looking for an assortment of random minis to practice their painting techniques on before diving into a Primarch or something equally serious, Mantic has their xmas crazy boxes up on sale again in two flavours, plus a black friday 15% discount for the rest of the weekend with the code THANKSGIVING2014. Last year I got a mix of Kings of War and Warpath hard plastic, Warpath, Kings of War, Deadzone and Dreadball restic, some Loka chess pieces in boardgame plastic, and some paints and sprue snips from army painter.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 28, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So does anyone have any tutorials on painting relatively fine details with an airbrush?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Here's a quick tutorial on doing just that -

Step 1: Don't

Step 2: Use a paintbrush because you'll never get superfine details with an airbrush

Step 3: Seriously, don't

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It's depends on what you mean by "relatively fine details". You won't be doing eyes with it, but you can do smaller than you might think if you practice.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

So does anyone have any tutorials on painting relatively fine details with an airbrush?

Not much to say, set your psi low (10-15, depending on how small you're going) thin your paints enough to actually come out at that psi. Because your paint is going to be super thin you'll need a lighter touch, and it's gonna take a few passes. Oh, and you'll need to get the needle closer to the model, how close is again a question of how small you're going.

After that it's pretty much just brush control.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 28, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

If anyone was looking for an assortment of random minis to practice their painting techniques on before diving into a Primarch or something equally serious, Mantic has their xmas crazy boxes up on sale again in two flavours, plus a black friday 15% discount for the rest of the weekend with the code THANKSGIVING2014. Last year I got a mix of Kings of War and Warpath hard plastic, Warpath, Kings of War, Deadzone and Dreadball restic, some Loka chess pieces in boardgame plastic, and some paints and sprue snips from army painter.

A preview of what you will get from these:

-Them ugly rear end elves, especially the spearmen with the dongspears
-the goblins they hosed up the sprues for
-Basilean men at arms
-The old enforcers they are replacing

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

JackMann posted:

Okay, basing is all done, model is now in the store's hands until the judging begins. Having seen the competition, I don't think I have much chance, but I'm still really happy with the way he turned out.

Used some aquarium furniture to make the basing elements. Base itself is a bit of green stuff and red oxide paste, washed with agrax earthshade.

Wow, you did a really nice job. If you don't stand a chance, then I can only imagine how pretty the other miniatures look. Seems like everyone here are good painters here, I am a bit embarrassed to post my meh :smith: stuff. In any case, I've been working on Nagash. The crown and knee pads will eventually be gold. I'm thinking of painting the two strips of whatever that are attached to his face blue to match the ethereal host. Is this a good idea?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Has anyone used the Vallejo pale grey wash? How did it work?

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Has anyone used the Vallejo pale grey wash? How did it work?

Looked great when it was wet. Dryed kind of lackluster though. Didnt really define the detail, just kind of made everything seem a bit grimey

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Crayvex posted:

Wow, you did a really nice job. If you don't stand a chance, then I can only imagine how pretty the other miniatures look. Seems like everyone here are good painters here, I am a bit embarrassed to post my meh :smith: stuff. In any case, I've been working on Nagash. The crown and knee pads will eventually be gold. I'm thinking of painting the two strips of whatever that are attached to his face blue to match the ethereal host. Is this a good idea?

I dunno what you're smoking, that looks pretty loving good right now.

Also yes that is a good idea. It'd match his cloak and help tie the whole model together without detracting from the armor.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm experimenting a little bit with Shapeways (with assistance from fellow poster Dagon) for something to replace the awful GW Attack Bike model, and also as a general tool for various model bits on order.

I think it came out decent enough for a first try model and a first try print. Samsung's cameras are awful so here's a link for a better look at the build.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm experimenting a little bit with Shapeways (with assistance from fellow poster Dagon) for something to replace the awful GW Attack Bike model, and also as a general tool for various model bits on order.

I think it came out decent enough for a first try model and a first try print. Samsung's cameras are awful so here's a link for a better look at the build.

I like it! Does it fit on a 60mm base like most attack bikes do? Also, I take it the multi-melta would fit on the passenger side?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I tried to design it to fit roughly the same profile; not be longer, the total width (with sidecar) being about the same, etc. So naturally I designed and got it at a time when I don't have access to a 60m base to compare it to. Here's my attempt at a base comparison next to a couple of bike bases and a GW 25mm;

It overflows the bike bases a little bit if placed on two of them, but not more so than the scout there does. I'm guessing it will perch a little awkwardly on a 60mm like the current attack bike does. Also, fair warning, I also don't know how well any pilots will fit. That's what I'm trying to test next!

e: and yes, the multi-melta goes on the bar on the passenger side. Another thing about shapeways; the model might need a little polishing by hand, those surfaces have a tiny amount of surface grain to them.

Rulebook Heavily fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 29, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ah, yeah, that'd overflow on a 60mm. Those bike bases are longer than the 60mm ones. Not really a problem per-se if you build up the base or something, and looks a fair bit better than the attack bike does.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Do scibor minis come with the release agent i have to wash off on them? Is there a way to find out without figuring out after i start painting the thing?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yes. If it's a resin mini, always assume it's coated with release agent.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Should probably give all minis regardless of material a wash.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Looking to strip some sealed models and was wondering if simple green would do the trick. Some are sealed with matte, some gloss.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A preview of what you will get from these:

-Them ugly rear end elves, especially the spearmen with the dongspears
-the goblins they hosed up the sprues for
-Basilean men at arms
-The old enforcers they are replacing

The Elves are great, so gently caress you.

I've never received any goblins, instead it's been a mix of men at arms, elohi, ogres, trolls, sisters on panthers, undead cavalry and revenants, assorted dreadball figures and MVPs and giants, the Sorak and Yndij from Deadzone, forge father stormrage veterans and jotunn cannons, marauder grunts and raptor trikes, and a few random Loka pieces that aren't all that useful without the game.

It's a lot of minis for not much money, a lot of it is useful, some of it ie the elves poo poo all over anything GW sells, and the rest of it is at least useful for testing things.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 29, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've never been disappointed with a Crazy Box.

I'll never understand why people can't stop bitching about Mantic elves, they're Tolkein as gently caress.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

moths posted:

I'll never understand why people can't stop bitching about Mantic elves, they're Tolkein as gently caress.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Yeesh, ok that's an ugly paintjob / model.

It's not really an indictment of the rest of the line though. The rank and file look much better in person in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They look just as bad tbf.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
There's nothing wrong with those paint jobs, they are just mediocre models. I like mantic a lot , but they have a few real duds. Their undead line is solid except for the werewolves which are as bad as gw rat ogres. Basileans are really awkward models. The trolls look cuddly rather than intimidating and the old dwarf and irk models are really boring I think. The badger riders and troll slayers are balling.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Big Willy Style posted:

There's nothing wrong with those paint jobs, they are just mediocre models. I like mantic a lot , but they have a few real duds. Their undead line is solid except for the werewolves which are as bad as gw rat ogres.

You better not mean the IoB rat ogres. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

some of it ie the elves poo poo all over anything GW sells

Are you forgetting GW sells elves sculpted by two of the best sculptors in the business? Mantic makes some OK stuff, but they haven't made a thing (even plastics) that can touch what the Perry brothers have done.

• Locked thread