Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dirty nub posted:

Can't wait until they split the next 3 episodes into 6 movies and draw this poo poo out for a decade. Think of how many toys they could sell that way.

They already announced there would be "side" movies about Boba Fett and the like.

e: Fett specifically hasn't been confirmed but the fact that there are more movies has been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp
The hilt blades on the light claymore would come in handy for pushing an opposing saber up and away when in a lock or when blocking, as is sometimes possible when fighting with real claymores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1QM7DhBv1Y

See: 1:50, 2:33, and at other points.

:goonsay:

Dystram fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 28, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my knowledge of the EU is restricted to books I read when i was like 10-13 yrs old but i dont know how anyone could have expected that hodgepodge to be considered canon for new movies where they finally have a chance to cherry pick some talented people to work on the story and world

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Dystram posted:

The hilt blades on the light claymore would come in handy for pushing an opposing saber up and away when in a lock or when blocking, as is sometimes possible when fighting with real claymores.

One goon already mentioned it, but wouldn't the enemy's sword be directed to the metal part and cut it off?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ravane posted:

Species, then. It doesn't add to the film, it just clears up 40 years of doubt.

Doubt....about what?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Only the spergiest spergs that ever sperged give a toot.

hhhat posted:

I have spent none of my 40 years wondering what species Yoda is. I agree with 'doesn't add anything to the story' - knowing that they're all humanoid because some ancient race seeded the galaxy with their DNA is a Trek thing.

In Star Wars Yoda is short and green because when he picks up a god drat spaceship with his mind you as an audience member are like 'holy poo poo the force' and then you know that Luke having to face the Emperor is a big loving deal because even the muppet who can see the future and talk to ghosts is like 'dude is hardcore.'

I'm not sperging about it, I'd just like to know. George Lucas consistently dodges the question when he's asked and has cancelled any EU stuff that attempted to elucidate on his origins. I thought it was interesting, you guys just seem way too worked up about me asking a simple question.

thathonkey posted:

I googled dual phase and this was the 2nd result:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dual-phase_lightsaber

:shrug:

That's exactly it. It's a lightsaber that can extend to 10 feet and be used as a giant lance or like Final Fantasy Sephiroth's sword thing. I just think it'd be cool to see it in action.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Kikka posted:

One goon already mentioned it, but wouldn't the enemy's sword be directed to the metal part and cut it off?

I'm not saying the design exemplifies practicality but it's much more practical than detractors are giving it credit for.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kikka posted:

Not if the metal part is saber proof.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dystram posted:

Except that a lightsaber has an all around edge, will instantly cut through anything and will thus rip cleanly through the two inches of metal.

Frankly I do kind of hope they redesign the guard before the movie release. The worse part about it for me is the fact that it is clearly something that could be pragmatic with only a little bit of effort. For example, if you removed the top half of the cylinder on either side of the main hilt, you could have the 'guard' filling its function while keeping the same general aesthetic.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Dolphin posted:

WHY NOT MAKE SABER PROOF STORMTROOPER ARMOR THEN :goonsay:

(i realize this kind of discussion can go on forever)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kikka posted:

They probably can, but it weighs a lot and is super expensive.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Dolphin posted:

It could be vibranium, which is saber resistant, but I doubt it, since usually sabers can, and do, get cut in half in Star Wars. However, it could be a unique saber constructed with special materials.

If they redo the design, and I doubt they will, it could be made more apparently practical by diminishing the size of the side emitters so that the metal could be less easily cut were the side sabers to be used for their intended purpose.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Kikka posted:

The original sabers didn't have any sort of handguard at all, so at worst, it's no more or less practical than what we've already seen.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Kikka posted:

I assume the metal part just protects the wielders hand, but if you cut it their is more blade underneath.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ravane posted:

I'm not sperging about it, I'd just like to know. George Lucas consistently dodges the question when he's asked and has cancelled any EU stuff that attempted to elucidate on his origins. I thought it was interesting, you guys just seem way too worked up about me asking a simple question.

BECAUSE ITS NOT loving IMPORTANT AND IT ADDS NOTHING TO THE STORY! WHO GIVES A gently caress WHERE YODA IS FROM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kikka posted:

According to the UE, lightsabers cans cut through ANYTHIIIIINNNGGG!!!

Though I do think that in, uh, Tales of the Jedi comics? I think it was implied there that that mechanism and power settings on the lightsaber are more complex than it seems to the naked eye and that the cutting power comes from being precise and disciplined enough to be making subtle calibrations to the spectrum output/intensity/whatever technobabble while swinging it.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Somehow after November 2015, a bunch of new months are going to show up out of nowhere like Blormuary and Jomnember just to make the wait longer.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PriorMarcus posted:

I assume the metal part just protects the wielders hand, but if you cut it their is more blade underneath.
Actually this is fairly plausible. One of the purposes of hand guards in the first place is to keep your hand from slipping up and getting cut on the blade. It stands to reason you wouldn't want your hand slipping up and getting cut off on the guard.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Dystram posted:

It could be vibranium, which is saber resistant, but I doubt it, since usually sabers can, and do, get cut in half in Star Wars. However, it could be a unique saber constructed with special materials.

If they redo the design, and I doubt they will, it could be made more apparently practical by diminishing the size of the side emitters so that the metal could be less easily cut were the side sabers to be used for their intended purpose.

Could be Mandalorean Iron. That is also lightsaber resistant without being inhibitory to the saber like cortosis.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Ravane posted:

I'm not worked up, I'm making entertainment for myself in the Star Wars thread. Sorry... didn't mean to come across as rude there.

I am with George on this one, there's really no need to know what Yoda is. I guess if they wrote in a trip to his home planet or his brother in law shows up as a dark Jedi or something then they might go there. As it is we just know he's old as crap and that someone who looked kinda like him showed up in Phantom Menace in the Jedi council at one point, meaning every one of his race is obviously a powerful force user and I bet that girl Yoda stole the Death Star plans first while dressed in a bikini to lure the wily Boba Fett away from guarding Jar Jar Binks when he was captured trying to flee Darth Plageus during the battle of Yavin where Dash Rendar and Darth Kneesaber fought over which one of them had the better sword design.

See, this is fun. Really fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love these retarded movies.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Teaser owned bones and I'm loving pumped.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ravane posted:

That's exactly it. It's a lightsaber that can extend to 10 feet and be used as a giant lance or like Final Fantasy Sephiroth's sword thing. I just think it'd be cool to see it in action.

Are you suggesting that George Lucas has an answer to your question that he's withholding for some reason? Has it occurred to you that this entire universe is a made up figment of his imagination and that he is just pulling stuff out of his rear end? Do you understand that what you're asking him to do is simply say a nonsense word like "oh, he's a galbraith" and you'd respond with, "ohhhh ok, thanks for clearing up 40 years of doubt for me George" as though his made up word/species has any bearing on absolutely anything beyond your own obsessive desire to know every made up fact about a made up universe? Do you realize that you sound like an insane person who can't distinguish fantasy from reality?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Vintersorg posted:

BECAUSE ITS NOT loving IMPORTANT AND IT ADDS NOTHING TO THE STORY! WHO GIVES A gently caress WHERE YODA IS FROM

What if the plot is about where Yoda is from? Then it would be important and would add to the story. Like what if Yoda is missing, and Luke has to find him.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

LoG posted:

Teaser owned bones and I'm loving pumped.

Agreed. I am super stoked. It looked and felt like Star Wars to me, or at least what I've always wanted Star Wars to become in the modern day, after the substandard detour that was the prequels.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Kikka posted:

They did, shadowtroopers wore cortosis weave armor that was lightsaber-resistant:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowtrooper

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ravane posted:

What if the plot is about where Yoda is from? Then it would be important and would add to the story. Like what if Yoda is missing, and Luke has to find him.
We also don't know where Yoda keeps his butthole though, and while they could incorporate that into the plot I don't think it's prudent.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

PunkBoy posted:

I still cannot get over that shot of the X-Wings skimming the water. :aaa: Has anyone translated the text on the pilot's uniform yet?

Oh, you KNOW they did:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

berserker posted:

Somehow after November 2015, a bunch of new months are going to show up out of nowhere like Blormuary and Jomnember just to make the wait longer.

Of all the posts in this thread, this is my favourite :kimchi:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The bad guy better fight with that thing like a longsword.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI_jK2mzTUQ

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Jewmanji posted:

Are you suggesting that George Lucas has an answer to your question that he's withholding for some reason?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yoda%27s_species#Behind_the_scenes

I read that ten minutes ago, and thus I ask, where is Yoda from.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 28, 2014

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Polo-Rican posted:

It's fun seeing spaceships and lightsabers but all that really matters is the acting. Episodes 1-3 are crazy because not a single actor conveys a single emotion throughout the three films. Everything is so god drat flat. In contrast, everyone in episodes 4-6 seem to be having a lot of fun, and the feeling is contagious.

This is what I care about, really, but the (three) people in that trailer looked to be emoting more than most of the actors in the prequels, so they seem to be on the right track.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Just got home and watched it on the big screen. Even better. Ind the narration sound so much like cumberbatch.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

thathonkey posted:

I googled dual phase and this was the 2nd result:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dual-phase_lightsaber

:shrug:

Is she trying to light a fart with her saber in this picture?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Serak posted:

Oh, you KNOW they did:

Haha, I knew it wouldn't take long. Also interesting to see that it's apparently a life vest!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

e X posted:

Why are people angry again that all the old EU stuff got thrown out?

There's a LOT of really lovely EU stuff, but there's nuggets of good stuff in there too.

Also some really weird stuff that never goes anywhere (like before the PT was a thing there was a book where Luke was trying to find his mother and she turned out to be a practicioner of a different Force discipline, it was something about a white wave I don't quite remember; kind of out there but neat little universe fluff) except to flesh out the universe.

It always struck me as simplistic that the only way people tapped into the Force was by codified Jedi/Sith teachings, there really should be a bunch of different Force-using belief systems out there since the universe is so big.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ravane posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Yoda%27s_species#Behind_the_scenes

I read that ten minutes ago, and thus I ask, where is Yoda from.

You're loving trolling at this point, eh? LMAO

quote:

Santa Claus appears to be a member of Yoda's species (as shown in Star Wars Adventure Journal 8), though this is an Easter egg and therefore is non-canon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lightsabers should be used like the Green Destiny from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1hs62Is67s

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Santa Claus appears to be a member of Yoda's species (as shown in Star Wars Adventure Journal 8), though this is an Easter egg and therefore is non-canon.

My Yoda tree topper contradicts this. Disney has ruined everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Vintersorg posted:

You're loving trolling at this point, eh? LMAO

Holy poo poo, hahaha. I didn't even read that. Hahaha.

• Locked thread