Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

I don't really think that's a fair comparison. The teens are lovely to Thompson but they still seem to like him, and he likes their company. It's an uneven relationship that's starting to edge into uncomfortably true-to-life territory, whereas literally everything Family Guy does with Meg is a lovely, mean-spirited attempt to turn straightforward child abuse into a punchline. The caliber of writing in the two shows is worlds apart.

GF would have to do some astonishing poo poo to become anywhere near as much of a turd as Family Guy is.

Forgive my :words:, I just really like Gravity Falls and think Family Guy is one of the worst animated shows on television :shobon:

Oh no, I completely agree with you. Meg is just the first character that came to mind who's always supposed to be the butt of all the jokes. Not even getting into how nutso she and everyone else in the show got made the longer it went on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

I got what they were going for with the moral - "sometimes trying to fix things just makes them worse". But it came off as rewarding Mable's meddling because they combined it with "things can work themselves out on their own" in the same arc. So I'll second the idea that they should've split off that other half of the lesson into a later episode.

I'll also second that the Stanballoon disaster was fantastic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The more I think about it, season 2 has had some of the highest highs and most boring lows (and in my mind, "boring" is the low for GF). I think Blendin's Game was about as good as it gets, Sock Opera as well, but the non-canon chapter episode was a bit dull. I'd still put Love God above that.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Pick posted:

The more I think about it, season 2 has had some of the highest highs and most boring lows (and in my mind, "boring" is the low for GF). I think Blendin's Game was about as good as it gets, Sock Opera as well, but the non-canon chapter episode was a bit dull. I'd still put Love God above that.

I pretty much agree with this. Love God was kind of a microcosm of the second season as a whole. The set-up was pretty boring and standard, but the payoff. Oh, the payoff. Everything after the Stan balloon shows up is hilarious and amazing. The highs far outweigh the lows with this show.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
This episode was pretty dark for a Disney show. I was cracking up at the "GAZE UPON DEATH!" chant

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Pick posted:

See, I felt exactly the opposite about Blendin's Game--I found it to be boring in comparison to The Love God, which I felt was fantastic overall. People value different things when it comes to entertainment, which means that things will hit or miss for different people for completely different reasons. Even when I've found episodes to be boring, they've still been excellent and I feel like I'm only feeling that they're boring because I have some really terrific episodes to compare them to.

Unrelated, my 2.5 year old is crazy about Gravity Falls and if she still is when she turns three next summer I will be tempted to go all out and do a GF themed party, complete with weird mystery shack loot bags and a cake shaped and decorated like the third book, haha. :)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

JD posted:

This episode was pretty dark for a Disney show. I was cracking up at the "GAZE UPON DEATH!" chant

How about the whole season?

2x01, "Scary-oke": Every single scene with zombies, main cast member getting zombified, zombie decapitations
2x02, "Into the Bunker": The horrifying Dipper/Mabel shapeshifter form
2x03, "The Golf War": Big Henry, "cut her open and take the sticker!"
2x04, "Sock Opera": The death of the Head That's Always Screaming, probably some other stuff from Bipper
2x05, "Soos and the Real Girl": Giffany's animatronic host melting, arguably all of Ol' Goldy's creepiness
2x06, "Little Gift Shop of Horrors": Creepy hands, some of the clay violence, the entire dude getting turned into an exhibit thing
2x07, "Society of the Blind Eye": Lazy Susan dragged screaming into the night, gun and gun-to-your-own-head imagery, directly fighting other humans and not monsters
2x08, "Blendin's Game": The dude getting thumbs-downed at Globnar (otherwise this episode was fairly light; Soos's dad was more sad than dark)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pksage posted:

2x03, "The Golf War": Big Henry, "cut her open and take the sticker!"
2x08, "Blendin's Game": The dude getting thumbs-downed at Globnar (otherwise this episode was fairly light; Soos's dad was more sad than dark)

These are Spongebob levels of scary dude.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Suspicious Dish posted:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, I'm gonna be laughing at that goddamn balloon for a solid week.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I, too, was weirded out by last episode's "messages" when so far the series has been usually delivering very good ones for a children's show. Not just about Thompson, but also rebound relationships are apparently a good thing now? :psyduck:

Oh well, the same episode teaches kids that fingerless gloves are NOT cool so I guess it's balanced out.

And the Stan balloon was awesome.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Awesome episode. That balloon shot was beautiful.
It looks like Emmy Cicierega working on the show is helping get her brother Neil some work, since he wrote "Goat and a Pig," and apparently a couple other songs that will show up later. Which is cool, since I always dug his Lemon Demon stuff. Here's his original demo.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Why are people confusing Gravity Falls with Seasame Street now? This show subverts the 'moral of the episode' thing all the time. I'm glad they went with a more honest portrayal of teenager social behaviors, rather than some fake, bullshit version were everyone learns a good lesson about not being mean, and then they all go out and have ice cream afterwards. This is not the 1950s.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

counterfeitsaint posted:

Why are people confusing Gravity Falls with Seasame Street now? This show subverts the 'moral of the episode' thing all the time. I'm glad they went with a more honest portrayal of teenager social behaviors, rather than some fake, bullshit version were everyone learns a good lesson about not being mean, and then they all go out and have ice cream afterwards. This is not the 1950s.

And yet Mabel and Dipper still talk about what's the right thing to do as they prepare to drench Tambry and Robbie with the anti-love potion, in a manner very similar to shows with a "moral of the episode". You're right when you say that Gravity Falls also subverts that trope, and I'm not saying that it's not a great thing, but it seems like the show can't decide if it's going to completely buck that tendency or still have a moral from time to time. I guess that is what is causing confusion.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The moral of the thread is its okay to say "gently caress convention!" sometimes and other times embrace it!

And they all lived slightly happier ever after since nobody was discussing this poo poo again.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if the episode would've worked better if Mabel asked the Love God if he could help Robbie (or asked if there was any chance for Robbie) before deciding to steal the love potion and doing things herself.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
The moral of Love God seems to be more about living with your mistakes, especially when fixing them means blatantly loving up things worse. What happened when Mabel got Rob and Tambry (sp?) together? That one dude got upset over his crush that he wasn't going to act on and it cascaded into the group of teenagers getting petulantly angry at each other. Teenagers do that a lot. Mabel and Dipper then attempt to undo the love potion because they desperately want their new friends to be back together and getting along like before. To do this, they would have to crush Robbie and Tambrys' hearts, and for what? Some ideal of friendship and harmony? The Love God himself even explicitly warns them against playing God with people's lives every time someone is inconvenienced.
The overall moral of Dipper and Mabel's interactions with others over the whole show is that people's lives change, and attempting to prevent that change only causes harm. Mabel, upon seeing how happy Robbie is, decides against further interference because it would only be self-serving. Meanwhile, the character actively obsessed with maintaining his ideal of a group of friends, Thompson, actively engages in self-harm to bring them back together. He's lost in his own delusions of acceptance and inclusion, and his inability to let something go is turning him into a pathetic parody of a human being.
Thompson and Toby Determined fill the same role in the show: obsessions and delusions about others only make one emotionally crippled. Everyone laughs at Thompson because he deserves it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if the episode would've worked better if Mabel asked the Love God if he could help Robbie (or asked if there was any chance for Robbie) before deciding to steal the love potion and doing things herself.

I was thinking that too. The Love God blatantly didn't care about abuse of power when he was just zapping people (and animals) around him. I feel like if Mable had just asked him if he could help Robbie, then he would he would have zapped Robbie and Tambry together anyway (because they were sitting together).

In any case, I don't think using the anti-love potion would have actually solved the group's problems (because even if Robbie and Tambry broke up, the other teens would still be mad that it happened at all, because that's how teenagers roll) so Mabel was probably right to not use it. There's no reason to ruin Robbie and Tambry's happiness just for teenage flights of anger or already tenuous group cohesion.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Suspicious Dish posted:

Big Henry was pretty morbid.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Oh man, gravityfalls.wikia.com has some great screen images...

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mister Mind posted:

Oh man, gravityfalls.wikia.com has some great screen images...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I've just realised that the dance studio on the corner and going back in time is a Back to the Future reference.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Awesome episode. That balloon shot was beautiful.
It looks like Emmy Cicierega working on the show is helping get her brother Neil some work, since he wrote "Goat and a Pig," and apparently a couple other songs that will show up later. Which is cool, since I always dug his Lemon Demon stuff. Here's his original demo.

Didn't Neil write theme music for the show which ended up not being used?

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Didn't Neil write theme music for the show which ended up not being used?

Yes

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Oh man, I thought Goat and a Pig sounded like Neil, and I was like, "wouldn't it be cool if Emmy got Neil involved with this show - but no, self, that is a pipe dream, and it will never happen". Super cool.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I never thought I'd live to see Strong Bad and the Colin Mochrie flash guy working together on a Disney channel original series.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

WrathOfBlade posted:

I never thought I'd live to see Strong Bad and the Colin Mochrie flash guy working together on a Disney channel original series.

What a world we live in.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is anyone else not seeing this episode on the Disney XD website? I'm only seeing Double Dipper for the full episodes...

Edit: Nevermind, I was on something like disneyxd.disney.com/gravityfalls/video, when what I need is watchdisneyxd.go.com/gravityfalls.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 29, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

paradoxGentleman posted:

And yet Mabel and Dipper still talk about what's the right thing to do as they prepare to drench Tambry and Robbie with the anti-love potion, in a manner very similar to shows with a "moral of the episode". You're right when you say that Gravity Falls also subverts that trope, and I'm not saying that it's not a great thing, but it seems like the show can't decide if it's going to completely buck that tendency or still have a moral from time to time. I guess that is what is causing confusion.

i think the show has a moral sometimes, and other times it subverts the 'moral', and that's O.K.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I wonder if this is Chekov's Squirt Bottle of Anti-Love now. They've still got it, right?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

This season's finale will involve Lil' Gideon breaking out, and the final showdown is resolved with that spray bottle, calling it now.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I HEART KIDS was so glorious that it single-handedly makes up for he 20 minutes of boring teenage relationship drama and lazy hipster jokes that came before it.

Which is really for the best, Brad Breeck's soundtrack is a perfect fit for the show. Listening to Neil's attempts at scoring the show is like watching the pilot that they made in cheap Flash animation with a different art style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1KxUl2Pxo

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A thought:
(Maybe someone else mentioned this and I missed it)

Robbie's parents are morticians/own a funeral home...so if we still want to go with the "Robbie is a zombie" theory, that can really help add credence to it.

Robbie died an early death, possibly through something like a car accident, or something else the parents blame themselves for, and use secret, dark, "Gravity Falls"-style embalming and make him a zombie.

I don't necessarily believe this theory, but it does make a small semblance of sense.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This episode owned. I just got back from a long vacation and caught up. Stan's head is the best thing so far in this show. And that's saying a lot. "Yes honey, it's going to eat us." holy poo poo :laffo:

Also found that Hot Topic Dipper hat too. It's inaccurate or whatever I guess, but it's official, and it's nice to support the show! So a cool little Gravity Falls day.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the cipher key in this episode - it's unusual in that it's spread out over 3 seconds in the background rather than in a single shot like every previous episode this season. It's hidden in the background while Mabel is running in the part where she finds the spray bottle top for the anti-love potion.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I kinda have to agree the resolution was a bit anti-climactic since Mabel doesn't learn anything and the solution was basically to just allow the artificial macguffin she introduced to do its thing. If anything I feel like if they go that route they should have at least done the cliched "everyone falls in love and pairs off in one giant prom dance montage" thing, but they sorta got that out of the way when LG showed up. Man this show's 20 mins goes by fast

The B plot is clearly proof that Soos and Grunkle Stan are the true power couple who need no potion

Pick posted:

It was a little on-the-nose about Portland/hipster culture, which is totally true but I don't know, those jokes get old.

would you say that they are over?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Moddington posted:

This season's finale will involve Lil' Gideon breaking out, and the final showdown is resolved with that spray bottle, calling it now.

A red piller who hates you but doesn't want you anymore, problem solved!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Alan Smithee posted:

would you say that they are over?

Ugh. SO over.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
All these posts but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ZajBtVG0o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

The really charming part about this video is Grunkle Stan officiating the wedding and looking amused by it. He loves Mabel so much that he just rolls with all the wacky poo poo she does :3:

• Locked thread