Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Word on the street is the voiceover in the trailer is...

Andy Serkis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ravane posted:

Species, then. It doesn't add to the film, it just clears up 40 years of doubt.

Apparently he's a Meetrop. I've got this old film magazine from 1981 where George Lucas responds to a fan question. Hope this helps.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Lightsaber talk is over. Lets talk about how they ruined, RUINED, stormtrooper helmets! Boycott time. :smug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

hhhat posted:

I'm not worked up, I'm making entertainment for myself in the Star Wars thread. Sorry... didn't mean to come across as rude there.

I am with George on this one, there's really no need to know what Yoda is. I guess if they wrote in a trip to his home planet or his brother in law shows up as a dark Jedi or something then they might go there. As it is we just know he's old as crap and that someone who looked kinda like him showed up in Phantom Menace in the Jedi council at one point, meaning every one of his race is obviously a powerful force user and I bet that girl Yoda stole the Death Star plans first while dressed in a bikini to lure the wily Boba Fett away from guarding Jar Jar Binks when he was captured trying to flee Darth Plageus during the battle of Yavin where Dash Rendar and Darth Kneesaber fought over which one of them had the better sword design.

See, this is fun. Really fun.

Lucas said in an interview that Yoda is a frog, later clarifying that he is a lovechild of Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy. I don't see why there's still any confusion.

When I was a kid it actually didn't occur to me that Yoda was not human. I just thought that's what a human being looked like if they lived to 900+ years.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Krataar posted:

Lightsaber talk is over. Lets talk about how they ruined, RUINED, stormtrooper helmets! Boycott time. :smug:

If stormtroopers aren't pretty much bumbling fools like in the OT I'm going to send JJ a strongly worded letter.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.
As much as I hate to admit it, I was slightly underwhelmed by the trailer. I suppose I only have myself to blame for that, since my expectations were probably a little too high. It really is a teaser in every sense of the word. I can't really judge such a short glimpse of five or six random scenes. I think they're probably going to save the bigger stuff (seeing the original characters) for later in 2015 to ramp up the excitement.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
lol if you have any real expectations for a new star wars movie after the prequels.

i think Ep 7 might be alright but allowing yourself to get on the hype wagon will only lead to bitter disappointment, because it'll never be as good as your imagination.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

When I was a kid it actually didn't occur to me that Yoda was not human. I just thought that's what a human being looked like if they lived to 900+ years.

I also believed this as a child, for some reason.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Is that X-wing pilot really Oscar Isaac?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just driving by to say that lightsaber would be fine if the crossguard didn't have little hilt nubs that are longer than a saber is wide. Wouldn't sliding a saber down the length of the blade just lop off the secondary emitter? Pull them in an inch and you're fine. Maybe add a bit of metal hand guard underneath, too.

I'm sure this has come up at least twice every page since this morning but whatever.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 29, 2014

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Word on the street is the voiceover in the trailer is...

Andy Serkis.

I don't know what it is but something about the tone of that voice reminded me of Yoda. Serkis will probably be playing a digital character. Could we end up learning more about Yoda's species? I remember Yoda's species was always off limits for EU stuff per a Lucas mandate. I believe Lucas had ideas about the whills that will be used in the sequel trilogy.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

420DD Butts posted:

If stormtroopers aren't pretty much bumbling fools like in the OT I'm going to send JJ a strongly worded letter.

If they aren't clones anymore, maybe they are more crafty without the over-copied DNA weighing them down.

I'd be fine with them being actually menacing.

Also that claymore hilt is purely for aesthetics and owns.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

420DD Butts posted:

It works if you think of stormtroopers from the OT as 80 year old decrepit clones, and these new guys are just the normal recruits that they finally gave into hiring. No wonder they can't aim, they've all got glaucoma!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FuturePastNow posted:

I also believed this as a child, for some reason.

Thinking about it, I think it might have been because of the amount of dialogue and screen time he had compared to the cantina aliens or Admiral Ackbar.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Soul Glo posted:

I'd be fine with them being actually menacing.

Yeah, I was just being facetious. But I know if they make the storm troopers competent and menacing someone, somewhere will scream about it.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

Yeah, I was just being facetious. But I know if they make the storm troopers competent and menacing someone, somewhere will scream about it.

They couldn't aim when they were shooting at the people with their names on the marquee because they weren't supposed to die in those scenes. They could aim when shooting at Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru because them dying was a plot device to get Luke to start his quest. They could aim at Ewoks only offscreen because people didn't want to see Teddy Bears exploded by lasers.

Movies, am I right?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
the rebels in ep 4 got wrecked by stormtroopers too

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Hobo Siege posted:

Anyone complaining that this doesn't look like Star Wars is 100% correct. It does not look like the previous six Lucas-headed films. Attempting to ape that style would be a huge creativity-stifling mistake. Don't go in expecting Star Wars, go in expecting new films set in the Star Wars universe. You'll enjoy yourselves more.

Having said all that, looks loving great. Huge stylistic shot in the arm for the series.

I look at it in the context of the Star Trek reboot. The first one was incredibly fun to watch for the first time but completely fell flat on a rewatch. I literally fell asleep in the theater because it was just a bunch of stuff happening on the screen that happened too fast for me to care. It felt like watching a Transformers movie.

This new style could work, but if it's just the old JJ Abram's quick cut after quick cut because 'THIS IS AWESOME', then no thanks. I genuinely skeptical that Abrams knows how to tell a good story without resorting to the focus tested modern style of keeping the audiences engaged just long enough for a screen change.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

feedmyleg posted:

It works if you think of stormtroopers from the OT as 80 year old decrepit clones, and these new guys are just the normal recruits that they finally gave into hiring. No wonder they can't aim, they've all got glaucoma!

Were exactly does the idea come from that the Stormtroopers in the OT were also clones?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Claysaber owns. I haven't been keeping up with any of the leaks or whatever, but I like to imagine that this guy's been cut off from the Sith (them being mostly dead or ~force g g g ghoasts~) for a while, and so he's not exactly all up on lightsaber-building techniques and he's just got a really shitily-made saber that needs to vent plasma because he can't build a decent one that loops back on itself efficiently without instruction.

But nah gently caress it, it just looks cool.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

hhhat posted:

They couldn't aim when they were shooting at the people with their names on the marquee because they weren't supposed to die in those scenes. They could aim when shooting at Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru because them dying was a plot device to get Luke to start his quest. They could aim at Ewoks only offscreen because people didn't want to see Teddy Bears exploded by lasers.

Movies, am I right?

I think it had more to do with the set up of the scenes in question than anything. The heroes standing out in the open while being futilely shot at by a handful of stormtroopers always amused me for whatever reason.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Re: lightsabers

I remember how someone said the reason Mace Windu's lightsaber was purple is because it had electrum.

I'm pretty sure this information was 'official.'

I like knowing electrum makes lightsabers purple.

Without that information, I

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Soul Glo posted:

If they aren't clones anymore, maybe they are more crafty without the over-copied DNA weighing them down.

You can't overcopy DNA, that's ridiculous. Canon, I know, but still ridiculous.

Leo Showers posted:

lol if you have any real expectations for a new star wars movie after the prequels.

i think Ep 7 might be alright but allowing yourself to get on the hype wagon will only lead to bitter disappointment, because it'll never be as good as your imagination.

Besides The Empire Strikes Back, the Star Wars series as a whole was underwhelming. A New Hope was interesting, but childhood nostalgia makes it better than it seems. And the plot of Return of the Jedi was the exact same as A New Hope, except more ridiculous. Ewoks can't take down stormtroopers. Why the gently caress was building a second death star a plot anyway?

Hate the prequels all you want, but at least it had some decent plot points. Episode One was brilliant, especially the pod racing sequence. Who cares what anyone thinks about Anakin, the movie was amazing, though my own childhood nostalgia sometimes blinds me to its faults. The music was brilliantly conducted and the Darth Maul fight was wonderful.

Episode Two was terrible, but the Jango Fett fight was one of the most memorable in the series. I honestly have not seen Episode three so I can't comment on it.

JJ Abrams did brilliant work with the Star Trek series, thus I have no reason to doubt his ability to make a fine Star Wars movie.

There are faults in all of the movies, but don't let your nostalgia blind you to the reality that the original trilogy may have been technically impressive at the time, though the writing certainly could have been better, but it has not aged well at all.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

e X posted:

Were exactly does the idea come from that the Stormtroopers in the OT were also clones?

I think it came purely from the Leia line about Luke's height.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

420DD Butts posted:

I think it had more to do with the set up of the scenes in question than anything. The heroes standing out in the open while being futilely shot at by a handful of stormtroopers always amused me for whatever reason.

The message from those scenes was that even with that armor on those guns killed people, therefore the heroes needed to run because they were outnumbered, and you got reminded that they were in danger every time a blast hit nearby.

And it paid off with Han running around the hallway with that battle cry, and then seeing all of them, and lasers, and oh no Han's dead, and then he runs back the other way.

Good screenwriting, editing, and directing, that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Gazaar posted:

I think it came purely from the Leia line about Luke's height.

Also Luke mentions the Clone Wars, soooo

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Ravane posted:

A New Hope was interesting, but childhood nostalgia makes it better than it seems.

Episode One was brilliant, especially the pod racing sequence. Who cares what anyone thinks about Anakin, the movie was amazing, though my own childhood nostalgia sometimes blinds me to its faults.

Please tell me your secret to not aging

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

420DD Butts posted:

Except they weren't bumbling fools in the OT?

They were crack shots and absolutely murdered on the Tantive, Owen and Beru, the Jawas, etc etc.

They kept missing Luke and crew on the Death Star because if they kill them then they don't get to follow the Falcon back to the rebel base.

Honestly the only time stormtroopers are shown as being incompetent is the Endor fight and that was probably the worst part of RotJ (that Ewoks with rocks could just roll over troops with blasters and heavy weapons).

e: Now I need to rewatch the original. I can't remember when (or if) the whole 'track the freighter to the rebels' thing is mentioned by Imperials. So how do the Death Star find out about the base on Yavin 4? I may be misremembering the tracker planted on the Falcon...

VVV: OK, yeah that.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 29, 2014

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

I always assumed the stormtroopers were missing on purpose. Leia explicitly says they were allowed to leave so the Empire could track them and then it gets confirmed by Vader in like the next scene.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

RotJ would have been so much better set on Kashyyyk.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

hhhat posted:

The message from those scenes was that even with that armor on those guns killed people, therefore the heroes needed to run because they were outnumbered, and you got reminded that they were in danger every time a blast hit nearby.

And it paid off with Han running around the hallway with that battle cry, and then seeing all of them, and lasers, and oh no Han's dead, and then he runs back the other way.

Good screenwriting, editing, and directing, that.

I didn't think it was awful or anything, just that it seemed to make them out as a bit incompetent when a main character specifically built up their competence within the first 10-20 minutes of the movie.

WarLocke posted:

They were crack shots and absolutely murdered on the Tantive, Owen and Beru, the Jawas, etc etc.

Two of those three were off-screen, though. The opening sequence definitely didn't make them seem incompetent, but the scenes with the main characters after that kind of did when you consider what the main characters were doing. I get the reason for it, but it just struck me as a bit funny that they could toast a bunch of rebels but some people hanging out in the open were a-okay. That's all.

Rogue Elephant posted:

I always assumed the stormtroopers were missing on purpose. Leia explicitly says they were allowed to leave so the Empire could track them and then it gets confirmed by Vader in like the next scene.

I had forgotten about that line. That would probably explain it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone have a collection of all the wacky crossguard lightsabers that were posted today?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Ravane posted:

You can't overcopy DNA, that's ridiculous. Canon, I know, but still ridiculous.

Besides The Empire Strikes Back, the Star Wars series as a whole was underwhelming. A New Hope was interesting, but childhood nostalgia makes it better than it seems. And the plot of Return of the Jedi was the exact same as A New Hope, except more ridiculous. Ewoks can't take down stormtroopers. Why the gently caress was building a second death star a plot anyway?

Hate the prequels all you want, but at least it had some decent plot points. Episode One was brilliant, especially the pod racing sequence. Who cares what anyone thinks about Anakin, the movie was amazing, though my own childhood nostalgia sometimes blinds me to its faults. The music was brilliantly conducted and the Darth Maul fight was wonderful.

Episode Two was terrible, but the Jango Fett fight was one of the most memorable in the series. I honestly have not seen Episode three so I can't comment on it.

JJ Abrams did brilliant work with the Star Trek series, thus I have no reason to doubt his ability to make a fine Star Wars movie.

There are faults in all of the movies, but don't let your nostalgia blind you to the reality that the original trilogy may have been technically impressive at the time, though the writing certainly could have been better, but it has not aged well at all.

Source your quotes please.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So that is Han loving Solo piloting that Falcon right? No one else flies a ship as crazily as that.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
They should just include a light saber that looks like it was designed by Pablo Picasso to piss off the fanboys.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dolphin posted:

So that is Han loving Solo piloting that Falcon right? No one else flies a ship as crazily as that.

That reminds me, is there a collection of information about the movie anywhere? I haven't really been paying attention to things so far, I I don't really want to hunt for tidbits all around the Internet.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone have a collection of all the wacky crossguard lightsabers that were posted today?

Doesn't get whackier than lightwhips :catdrugs:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Imagine a gun that shoots lightsabers.

You could call it something rad as hell, like "blaster" or somethin'.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
Are there actually nerds who want to know Yoda's species? For what possible purpose? I hate to agree with George Lucas but some things are best left as mysteries.

Also, trailer owns. Look very forwards indeed to Abrams Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Dolphin posted:

It was Dash Rendar :smug:

• Locked thread