Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I really dont' see how anyone can not see this show is lighthearted. We had a swim team get beaten because they didn't plan for ice (while wearing swimsuits to the match no less).

I keep failing to see the "serious" side people are talking about, except for maybe last episode with the sick kid. It's still a goofy show people.

The show isn't serious in that it is life and death but it is serious in that people take the poo poo super-duper seriously. There are multiple scenes where the protagonists sit quietly in their rooms and stare out at the dark city while they think about ~what they're fighting for~ and so-on instead of having fun with their drat hobby.

It still has comedy moments but there was like one plot arc in the original show that was actually serious (Aina's) and that ended in a goofy way that intentionally undercut the drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Cao Ni Ma posted:

A lot of the charm that the original BF had was how loving unrealistic it was. Like what are the odds that the Italian champ would be in a rinky dink gunpla bar in the middle of loving nowhere. Newtype princes? Gunpla mafia? Gundpla interpol? Gunpla Hitmen?

BFT is still silly, but its still mostly grounded in reality. Whereas the original BF went hogwild with its insanity.

Next heir to the Shingyo School of Gunpla Building can assemble an SD model kit in mid-air in the span of a handful of seconds.

Main character probably actually trained by Domon Kasshu and can understand people through his fists.

Allen doing shady poo poo in a dark room.

An actual honest-to-god Sleggar.

Edit: Gunpla Mafia didn't even show up until after the initial qualifier arc and Reiji had an episode devoted to him figuring out why he fights around the same time as this series'. You guys are just mental.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 28, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Edit: Gunpla Mafia didn't even show up until after the initial qualifier arc and Reiji had an episode devoted to him figuring out why he fights around the same time as this series'. You guys are just mental.

Reiji's episode of 'figuring out why he fights' was not remotely portrayed in the same way. You're trying to cherry-pick examples of "no, see, it's different' and ignoring that people are talking about the overall tone of the episodes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's hard to point to one specific thing as the difference between BF and Try, but Try overall just feels like the writers and directors aren't having as much fun as they were in BF. The protagonists and antagonists in Try being a bit weaker overall also doesn't help. For example we still don't have much reason to give a poo poo about 2/3 of team g master.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

chumbler posted:

It's hard to point to one specific thing as the difference between BF and Try, but Try overall just feels like the writers and directors aren't having as much fun as they were in BF. The protagonists and antagonists in Try being a bit weaker overall also doesn't help.

I think its mostly an issue of screen time because I still find the protagonists better than BF. The secondary characters are definitely weaker with a few exceptions but Sleggar is materializing to be a fun addition. If the G-Masters president had more screen time he could easily be a Yuki since he was channeling him pretty well during the last episode. Yomi could play off both Gyanko and Fumina if they hung together.

Hopefully after the tournament the schools will spend time together. If this works like 95% of the qualifiers out there it means they are all in already. So they can hang around and train with each other for whatever is next.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ImpAtom posted:

Reiji's episode of 'figuring out why he fights' was not remotely portrayed in the same way. You're trying to cherry-pick examples of "no, see, it's different' and ignoring that people are talking about the overall tone of the episodes.

Except I'm not cherry-picking but actually giving actual examples of goofiness, silliness, and Gundam-ness. I'm sorry you're not having as much fun as me?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

It's hard to point to one specific thing as the difference between BF and Try, but Try overall just feels like the writers and directors aren't having as much fun as they were in BF. The protagonists and antagonists in Try being a bit weaker overall also doesn't help. For example we still don't have much reason to give a poo poo about 2/3 of team g master.

Yeah, the Try protagonists are just... bad.

Sekai is Generic Shonen Protagonist #28912. He is Flawed in that he is kind of dense but fundimentally selfless and good-natured and he is basically Naruto. This makes him boring even as a Domon stand-in because Domon actually was a significantly more flawed character. I feel like the people praising him for being a Domon homage are forgetting that Domon was an angry, brash and frequently self-centered young man whose eventual plot arc lead up to him talking directly to someone about his feelings and flaws.

Fumina has a strong concept but poor execution. She basically spends her time standing around talking to Sekai about how he feels these days. She could perk up once Lady becomes a reocccurring character but for now she's kind of static and boring.

Yuuma could be removed from the show and nobody would really notice.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Except I'm not cherry-picking but actually giving actual examples of goofiness, silliness, and Gundam-ness. I'm sorry you're not having as much fun as me?

There are still moments of silliness in the show. They are fewer and far between and the rest of the show is largely presented in a different tone.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 28, 2014

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Complaining that the characters aren't as interesting or well developed as last series: Good criticism.

Saying the show is less silly and goofy and doesn't have enough Gundam references: Bad criticism.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In this episode of Build Fighters Try, we've replaced Yuuma with a rock.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This rock is making some incredible Gunpla, it's unbelievable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

This rock is making some incredible Gunpla, it's unbelievable.

Nobody ever thought that a rock could make it this far in the tournament, but by god, they've showed us.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Srice posted:

Nobody ever thought that a rock could make it this far in the tournament, but by god, they've showed us.

The rock should be in the Meijin cup so it can face Sakai.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TARDISman posted:

The rock should be in the Meijin cup so it can face Sakai.
Sakai would make the gunpla for the rock himself just so he can compete with someone at his level. Yuuma will notice the rock and figure its his new rival.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It turns out Yuuma has ties to the gunpla mafia and only won that contest due to intimidation of the judges.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

chumbler posted:

It turns out Yuuma has ties to the gunpla mafia and only won that contest due to intimidation of the judges.

Well, when the Judge wakes up in bed with a Customized MG Fuunsaiki head bearing Mr. C's logo sitting next to him...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Turns out China is secretly the don of the Gunpla Mafia.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Midjack posted:

Fixed that for you.

BFT is overall a lot more serious business than BF, but it's still pretty light hearted. Whenever they're not in a fight or doing a "character building" drama scene, the default tone of the show is still silly as ever. There's also the argument that the melodrama scenes are ironic, but who knows on that one.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do you reckon the real reason the writers won't go near the first-season characters is so Sunrise can't make them worse in hindsight?

Also I like how we've just jumped on the idea that it's Sunrise making everything worse when it could very well just be the change in directors. Because that happened.

EDIT: Hah, got my gunpla wires mixed and wrote BTF instead of BFT.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 28, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

The show isn't serious in that it is life and death but it is serious in that people take the poo poo super-duper seriously. There are multiple scenes where the protagonists sit quietly in their rooms and stare out at the dark city while they think about ~what they're fighting for~ and so-on instead of having fun with their drat hobby.

It still has comedy moments but there was like one plot arc in the original show that was actually serious (Aina's) and that ended in a goofy way that intentionally undercut the drama.

I had really high hopes for Yuuma because I thought they were intentionally going to have him be a ~super serious drama queen~ and have him stare longingly out into the night from his balcony wondering ~what he's fighting for~ and have other people think he's super weird and/or call him on being a goofy rear end about somebody beating him in a game and calling him bad, but instead they've decided to play his archetype really straight and it's super boring and uninteresting. :smith:

I really hope they start giving him some character interactions soon. He barely even interacts with his personal rival, for god's sake.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I'm hoping something happens to him and they slot Sakai in his place on the team. It would be better in every way.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm hoping someone stuffs Yuuma into a locker.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

nuru posted:

I'm hoping something happens to him and they slot Sakai in his place on the team. It would be better in every way.

I think you mean Simon/Sakai/Gyanko team. They're even set up perfectly for it, with Sakai having no team at all and the other two having non-character teammates. Have Sskai team up with them for his area's regionals or something as an excuse to bring them back.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I do wonder how things might shift slightly if say like, the tournament structure had been based on perhaps teams of three, but only two fighters from either side got to actually enter the ring.

I mean, from the onset, that probably allows for more consideration of strategy as the sides try to figure out their opponents and what they counter with out of the available resources. The closest comparison I'd offer is how Zoids New Century worked - in that the Blitz team had more than just the standard three pilots, and as a result, they had the capacity to switch things about if they needed to (though admittedly Jamie didn't see as much use in general), with the addition of the Liger parts for additional counters against their opponents. By contrast, Team Try Fighters and everybody short of G-Master has played with the same people and the same units because its all they have, and since they have a set balance (melee, sniper, support for Try Fighters), both the writers and characters fall into the trap of largely doing the same things because, well, its what they always do. Suga's mainly interesting right now because of what such a severe wild card he is by contrast - no-one expected him to be on the team, and his unit shifted the balance of the battlefield in unexpected ways. He's got a goddamn jet capable of kung fu, and so whilst thematically Sekai is the obvious opponent, he's still a fairly 'non-standard' archetype to face up against.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, I think part of the problem is that they don't really have anything OUTSIDE the Tournament structure. The early BF had a lot of fights that weren't tournament related. (I think Kirara is like the only 'big' fight Sei had in the pre-world tournament.) It instead focused on things happening outside the tournament instead. They used that time to build up the characters Sei would encounter later and had several fights outside of the tournament structure. (Including the Zaku/Strike fight.)

Here, everything is in the tournament and they're treating the vast majority of the characters as disposable while having little to no interacting outside of the tournament. The G-Muse episode was interesting because it changed that. Sekai and Fumina interaction with Sakai outside of the tournament structure and had a fight that had nothing to do with the tournament.

By this point in BF we'd had episodes dedicated to Mao, Kirara, Yuuki and Nils and frequent apperances from Fellini as well as Aila's early buildup.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
With the Tournament fights following a really rigid structure (Try Fighters winning the same way every time, the Gyanko debut did the same and that was practice for the tournament at its core): Yuuma snipes a dude, Fumina takes out someone who is confused at how the turnaround happened followed by Sekai punching/kicking whoever to win, has made the supposed fun part of the show really dull (it looks pretty! But there's zero tension half the time). This then relegates people to trying to enjoy the characters. Unfortunately, as everyone has stated, Sekai literally has nothing to him other than shounen tropes. Fumina's screentime is far and between and Yuuma is following in his sisters footsteps as far as what -his- screentime is used for.

They are basically just...not entertaining yo see on screen. They're not doing or saying anything that could be exchanged into another type of Shounen show and lock it entirely to Gundam.

It's certainly still goofy, but not in a way that makes any of it...stand out more?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The show is kinda still starting, not alot happened before the tournament in build fighters either. Thank god Mr. Ral finally has a job now, he was like Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks being everywhere all the time.

Gunpla battle during school hours. Out of the shadows walks Mr. Ral, how did he know or even just walk into the school.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

The show is kinda still starting, not alot happened before the tournament in build fighters either.

That isn't true at all though. By this point in the series every major character had been introduced and had an episode dedicated to them except Fellini and Aina, who instead appeared in multiple episodes instead.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

Tenzarin posted:

Thank god Mr. Ral finally has a job now, he was like Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks being everywhere all the time.

Gunpla battle during school hours. Out of the shadows walks Mr. Ral, how did he know or even just walk into the school.

You think that was a bad thing? :psyduck:

I love Ramba Ral's sixth sense that allows him to show up wherever an interesting Gunpla battle is taking place. It doesn't matter if he has no business being there.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Zwingley posted:

You think that was a bad thing? :psyduck:

I love Ramba Ral's sixth sense that allows him to show up wherever an interesting Gunpla battle is taking place. It doesn't matter if he has no business being there.

Clearly, he is related to this man.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The show is kinda still starting, not alot happened before the tournament in build fighters either. Thank god Mr. Ral finally has a job now, he was like Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks being everywhere all the time.

We're about a third of the way into the show! That is hardly "still starting". While it's true that not much plotwise happened at this point in the original, there was a heck of a lot more characterization spread around.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
We also had the main rival introduced by episode 2 and reinforced by episode 6. The only goals for Team Try Fighters at this point is for them to win the tournament (which is super bland because they're all pretty boring compare to Sei/Reiji, with the exception of Fumina) and to beat Team G-Master, a goal that was established last episode.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Astro Nut posted:

Clearly, he is related to this man.

Goddamnit. now i want to watch that terrible show again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CaptainRat posted:

We also had the main rival introduced by episode 2 and reinforced by episode 6. The only goals for Team Try Fighters at this point is for them to win the tournament (which is super bland because they're all pretty boring compare to Sei/Reiji, with the exception of Fumina) and to beat Team G-Master, a goal that was established last episode.

Well, it also raises the question of "why do we want them to beat G-Master?"

Like, what motivation do we have to root for them to beat G-Master? That they beat Gyanko's team? So did Team Try and it isn't like G-Master was disrespectful to Gyanko or anything. Otherwise they appear to just be rival opponents who happen to have gone up against Team Try in the finals.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They still have a poo poo ton of teams and coaches to introduce. I'm pretty sure they win the next fight or find some way into the tournament since they would have 17 more episodes that they are gonna have to do stuff. And the BF qualifier match was like 30 seconds before then opening of the show, this time its gonna be longer. And its gonna be better then the goons who want to take over a spa but settle on a gunpla battle to decide if they take the place or not.

ImpAtom posted:

it isn't like G-Master was disrespectful to Gyanko or anything.

They did kinda laser the shield that Gyanko got from her brother? And they had a plane that could do kung fu.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 30, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

They did kinda laser the shield that Gyanko got from her brother? And they had a plane that could do kung fu.

Yeah but by that logic then Sekai was being disrespectful by wrecking the poo poo out of the Gundam Shimon got from his brother.

(plus Model Damage Level Set To B so it might not even be really damaged. I guess it depends on the writing there.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Tenzarin posted:

And its gonna be better then the goons who want to take over a spa but settle on a gunpla battle to decide if they take the place or not.

It's going to have to be really good if it wants to beat the glorious goofiness of the gunpla loan sharks.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It was more that because Gyanko bothered to paint her shield it was made out of indestructible alloy in-game so she was surprised someone actually damaged it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah but by that logic then Sekai was being disrespectful by wrecking the poo poo out of the Gundam Shimon got from his brother.

(plus Model Damage Level Set To B so it might not even be really damaged. I guess it depends on the writing there.)

They never even acknowledged that the Build Burning looked like it needed repairs after their battle so I guess Shimon's could also be fine?

(The model damage level setting is the dumbest thing)

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Srice posted:

They never even acknowledged that the Build Burning looked like it needed repairs after their battle so I guess Shimon's could also be fine?

(The model damage level setting is the dumbest thing)

Have we even seen a battle yet where the model damage level was set to anything other than B?

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
We have.

C for the training montages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Damage level a, a gundam walks out and kicks you in the balls when you blow up.

• Locked thread