Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

Can ANYONE else say anything good about Watch_Dogs? I'm a sucker for open world games, and I have a tolerance for most mediocre games as long as combat and/or movement is fun or tolerable. Snatching Watch_Dogs for under 20 is really tempting.

I would pretty much echo his sentiments. If like me, you basically play open world games to go to some place and gently caress around, Watch Dogs is very good for that. Everything else, ehhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Buy Watch Dogs for $20 or less. It's worth it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd pay twenty bucks for the SPIDER TANK minigame alone.

SPIDER TANK.

Say it with me, SPIIIIIIIIIDEEEEEEEEEEEEER TAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK.

ArkOfTurus
Apr 23, 2008

AfricanBootyShine posted:

If I loved Shining Force, FFT, and Tactics Ogre, is the Banner Saga worth buying for 5bux? I know it's got the issues, but if the combat system is deep and fun, I'd be fine.

I found Banner Saga to be pretty great, but it forces you to unlearn some habits from other SRPGs. Still worth $5 without a doubt.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

AfricanBootyShine posted:

If I loved Shining Force, FFT, and Tactics Ogre, is the Banner Saga worth buying for 5bux? I know it's got the issues, but if the combat system is deep and fun, I'd be fine.

Banner Saga has terrible combat mechanics. The rest is great though.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Morter posted:

Can ANYONE else say anything good about Watch_Dogs? I'm a sucker for open world games, and I have a tolerance for most mediocre games as long as combat and/or movement is fun or tolerable. Snatching Watch_Dogs for under 20 is really tempting.

I was desperate to give that game a go for a long time, but from all the negative reviews I wanted to wait for it to get cheap. I ended snagging it for around $30 from G2A a little while ago and... everything people say is bad about, it's all true. I wanted so bad for it to be the game I thought it was but eh... it's just bland. It squanders all its potential. It'll be fun for a few hours but I highly doubt it will leave you with the desire to see it through.

I still kind of regret getting it but I feel better knowing it's not very good I suppose.
e:
Like people bitch about GTAIV being tone deaf, this game is loving tone deaf.

One of the mission types is to prevent people from committing a sort of crime, and ultimately you end up crashing 50 loving cars and running over tons of civilians along the way, but so long as you stop the criminal you get good guy points. Also you can drive around hacking poo poo and running people over and stealing people's money, but whenever you get back to a mission plot-line your guy is all PTSD. Just very bland and... they picked the wrong protagonist for this sort of game.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 29, 2014

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Black flag only 50% off? eat poo poo Steam.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

How does Styx control with mouse and keyboard?

I only played it with mouse and keyboard so I don't know if controller is better or worse.
Control scheme is pretty standard wasd and mouselook, 1-4 for powers, the only inconvenient default binding is X to whistle(to attract attention)

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 29, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you absolutely want WatchUnderscoreDogs, G2A has it for £7-10: https://www.g2a.com/watch-dogs-ubishop-code-global.html (uplay only, obviously).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Morter posted:

The multiplayer hacking was really fun but I don't know if it would still be actively populated by now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If you absolutely want WatchUnderscoreDogs, G2A has it for £7-10: https://www.g2a.com/watch-dogs-ubishop-code-global.html (uplay only, obviously).

If you must have it definitely go this route.

And it will help if you think of it as a tech demo or early access game. I mean there is promise beneath this poo poo but it is far from a fully realized product

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

The multiplayer hacking was really fun but I don't know if it would still be actively populated by now.

I started it up again because I wanted to actually finish the story finally ( I uh, 100%ed the world, but left like the last 7-10ish missions just sitting there because I didn't really care what happened to Aidan, also to make Bad Blood make some sort of sense, since apparently it fixes all the major problems storywise? ), and yeah, I'm still getting invaded. Might have to do with the sale though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Lemon Curdistan posted:

As a US Goon, this comes out to $16.18, and I'm not familiar with the site. Is it a key reseller? I feel like I'd feel more confident for 2 more bucks, and get another game in the process. :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

As a US Goon, this comes out to $16.18, and I'm not familiar with the site. Is it a key reseller? I feel like I'd feel more confident for 2 more bucks, and get another game in the process. :shrug:

It's a key marketplace, sort of like Amazon can have third party resellers but entirely for game keys. I don't think anyone has ever gotten hosed on it. If you're willing to drop the two more bucks then yeah, totally worth it for another game if you want one of them.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Morter posted:

Yes. Quoting myself from earlier:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a kind of marketplace thing. The front page prices are usually advertising the copies sold by G2A directly, but when these run out, it will still work as a marketplace (like Amazon) and let you buy from marketplace sellers. Sometimes the marketplace sellers are cheaper, sometimes they're more expensive, the only real difference is that there's an optional surcharge for G2A to act as guarantor in case the seller sends you a faulty key and fails to issue a refund/new key when you buy from a marketplace seller.

I've used it a bunch of times and never had any issues with it, whether buying Steam games or Diablo 3/Reaper of Souls.

£7.50 is $12, not $16, but if you want one of the extra games there's no reason not to get it straight from uplay.

e;

Orv posted:

it's an online extension of a legitimate UK store.

No, that's simplyCDkeys. G2A is Polish.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Aw man, was Dark Messiah just a very brief sale? I coulda sworn when people were talking about it yesterday that it was up for $2.50 and that daily sales were at least 48 hours long. It's up to $6 which I ain't got the card money for.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Splits posted:

I have a few games Id like opinions on before I pull the trigger:

Teleglitch
Outlast
Stardrive
Planetary annihilation

Any input?

Avoid Stardrive like the plague. It's got major issues and the dev abandoned it in favor of milking more money with a sequel that would include the mp promised for the original game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

e;

No, that's simplyCDkeys. G2A is Polish.

Oh yeah, my bad, fix'd.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Orv posted:

Oh yeah, my bad, fix'd.

Rest of the paragraph was still valid, though. I've bought a bunch of stuff from them and everything's worked just fine - I've bought b.net keys, Steam keys, Steam gifts and Origin keys without issues. They seem pretty trustworthy from my experience.

Kaubocks posted:

Aw man, was Dark Messiah just a very brief sale? I coulda sworn when people were talking about it yesterday that it was up for $2.50 and that daily sales were at least 48 hours long. It's up to $6 which I ain't got the card money for.

It was a 24h deal instead of a 48h, yeah.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

£7.50 is $12, not $16, but if you want one of the extra games there's no reason not to get it straight from uplay.

I'm really not trying to argue with you but am I missing something? Following the link brings me here

Edit: Oh okay I'm sorry! This is my first time going there. Sounds interesting. Thanks a lot for the help.

Morter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 29, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Morter posted:

I'm really not trying to argue with you but am I missing something? Following the link brings me here

Click the little arrow to the right of the price and you can pick from a bunch of sellers. By default it's showing you their selected seller which is £3 more than the cheapest for some reason.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

BexGu posted:

How is Grim Dawn? I love Titan Quest and I noticed it had a bunch of the same developers but I see it's been in early access for a while. Is the game, in its current state, pretty fun?

I loved TQ and bought into GD when it was first announced, and I think it's even better than TQ is. Progress is admittedly slow, but it's excellent as it is today.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Splits posted:

Teleglitch - good
Outlast - not that good
Stardrive - could have been good
Planetary annihilation - getting good

Any input?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What is that you say about Banner Saga having combat mechanics problems? I thought the combat was all the game was (beyond the story etc of course)...

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I did not like Teleglitch but this is a minority opinion.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

BadAstronaut posted:

What is that you say about Banner Saga having combat mechanics problems? I thought the combat was all the game was (beyond the story etc of course)...

IIRC hp is the same thing as attack, so it's actually much better to reduce every enemy to 1 hp than killing them (which makes battles take forever).

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

That sounds terrible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, do some / most / all of Valve employees get the entire Steam library unlocked for them?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

state of decay is worth at least the 4.99 that it's priced at.. if you like mele and zombies grab it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, do some / most / all of Valve employees get the entire Steam library unlocked for them?

Yes, why are you asking?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Saoshyant posted:

Yes, why are you asking?

I just got suddenly curious about that, that's all. Do you know which one is correct (some, most, or all employees)?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

tater_salad posted:

state of decay is worth at least the 4.99 that it's priced at.. if you like mele and zombies grab it.

Yeah I got it cheap one or two sales ago and felt like I committed a crime. It's the best zombie game around, and if that doesn't impress you, it actually tries to be about survival, avoiding trouble, and so on, meaning it can get pretty tense and stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I just got suddenly curious about that, that's all. Do you know which one is correct (some, most, or all employees)?

From a Zooloman post (he worked very briefly for Valve some years ago) it's supposed to be all. There may be exceptions on how close tied some personnel are to the company, but go with "most" if for some reason you need a safe answer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

tater_salad posted:

You can perform wrestling moves on zombies and do it with an AI holding them for you.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Splits posted:

Teleglitch
Outlast
Stardrive
Planetary annihilation

Any input?

Teleglitch was just in a $1(?) bundle and has been in other bundles. For $3... seems excessive. Ask around, I'm sure some goons may have it laying around. It's OK, I don't care for pixelart though

Outlat is pretty good, but it's been $5 before and will be $5 again. If you want to play it RIGHT THE gently caress NOW, sure, but if you wait 1 month you'll save $5. It's pretty intense (like Amnesia) so you'll mostly play short sessions and is kind of short (6hours?)

Stardrive, Avoid. It's pretty much an early-access game that took away the label yet that will never be finished

PA is technically a complete game... but it's just not very fun.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The two on my friends list appear to own everything and usually pop up when goons link the next terrible game. (But not always, the system doesn't seem to work right nowadays)

There's a valve employee steam group, you can look at those profiles.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

State of Decay is the game that scratches my "Zombie killing" "Looting" and "Open World" itches...to an extent. It sadly is designed to have things fall down around you faster than you can effectively hoard all types of materials and stuff. That's likely to fuel most people's drive to kick butt, but I get too caught up in (indirect) time limits. Still, it's given me a ton of replay so if zombies in suburbia is your thing, go for it.

Edit:

Bruteman posted:

Is the DLC for Euro Truck Simulator 2 optional, or is there something in there that should be grabbed for first-time play?

For the meat of this game--doing jobs, driving trucks, starting a company, not at all needed. However, if you want to support the devs or, more importantly, get the egregious fanmade "map mods" that add and rework the world, you're required to have them.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Is the DLC for Euro Truck Simulator 2 optional, or is there something in there that should be grabbed for first-time play?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bruteman posted:

Poland is a map expansion, but hardly necessary. Everything else is cosmetic.

Going East that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

For The Banner Saga, there was a lets play of it not too long ago if people want a better look at how the combat is different from a lot of other RPGs. One of the development guys is a goon and dropped in to discuss the game in that thread. I got it for free, but never got around to playing it.

• Locked thread