Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

orcane posted:

20 tries, sounds faster than most people I watch doing it, at least :D
Yeah I think when I tried to show Kessel how to speed run it he fell off that bit something like 50 times.

Mad props to BIAJ for showing me the speed run in the first place, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Mercurius posted:

Yeah I think when I tried to show Kessel how to speed run it he fell off that bit something like 50 times.

I don't remember teaching you CoM? I'm pretty sure it was Rasheed or Cheston who dragged us all through.

I remember because I got angry/jealous that you were so good at the JP.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Mercurius posted:

You might be getting BiaJ mixed up with daedalus. I remember showing someone how to do it with him anyhow.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Don't think I can take credit for showing anyone CoM, I've only done it like twice. I might have been there while you were demonstrating though.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

General Maximus posted:

Personally I do that section by deliberately dying about a third of the way through it and rezzing on a nearby platform that's right at the end, but can see where I died so yay, skipping most of the challenge.

But then I do most stealth missions by dying repeatedly so maybe I'm just strange.

Nothing strange about that. Almost 100 % of sabotage missions are horrible in one way or another so abusing your immortality is only fair. Getting spotted and strategically positioning your body near next objective is how god intended you to complete them. And the Castle was FAR more annoying than the cost of magic for me.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Stealth sequences and jumping puzzles are two things TSW is particularly ill-suited for, so naturally Funcom went all in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Stealth sequences and jumping puzzles are two things TSW is particularly ill-suited for, so naturally Funcom went all in.

Pretty sure Joel is on the record saying he okayed cost of magic just because of how mad it would make players.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Looks like there was a server crash or something. The auction house isn't working, and people are saying their friend lists are empty.

edit: Server downtime in 15 minutes for "scheduled" maintenance. Should last one hour.

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 27, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Len posted:

Pretty sure Joel is on the record saying he okayed cost of magic just because of how mad it would make players.

This actually makes me like Joel more

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Brain In A Jar posted:

I don't remember teaching you CoM? I'm pretty sure it was Rasheed or Cheston who dragged us all through.

I remember because I got angry/jealous that you were so good at the JP.
The first time I did CoM was with only one other person and I'm sure it was in Oceanic timezone. I'm pretty sure it was you because you took me through The Girl Who Kicked The Vampires' Nest as I hadn't done it at all beforehand. Your TSW character is iDread and I'm not getting confused, right?

I remember you being confused with me jumping on top of a cog to get some lore in one of the Hell instances on the first try, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know I've brought a bunch of people through, and I know Thwoompa did as well. I'd be shocked if Cheston and Plat and Rasheed hadn't as well.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Pretty sure Cheston made a CoM speed run video. :o

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Mercurius posted:

The first time I did CoM was with only one other person and I'm sure it was in Oceanic timezone. I'm pretty sure it was you because you took me through The Girl Who Kicked The Vampires' Nest as I hadn't done it at all beforehand. Your TSW character is iDread and I'm not getting confused, right?

I remember you being confused with me jumping on top of a cog to get some lore in one of the Hell instances on the first try, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Oh okay I guess it was me.

If CoM runs were a monastic secret we would collectively be the worst loving monks

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

If CoM runs were a monastic secret we would collectively be the worst loving monks

I think the joy of magic should be shared with as wide an audience as possible.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I swear they've extended the timers on t hose platforms since launch. I have no proof of it but it really seems that way.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My system has exactly the minimum specifications for this game, am I going to have a bad time?

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Dareon posted:

My system has exactly the minimum specifications for this game, am I going to have a bad time?

Possibly. Throw down an email and someone can throw you a trial so you can find out.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Pesterchum posted:

Possibly. Throw down an email and someone can throw you a trial so you can find out.

Key: ZNSLDJ225U2EE4Z8Q8CM
Key: FY92F5BB2BYEVA73QEZK
Key: ANE2QBALNE7P4VXHB99L
https://register.thesecretworld.com/

Or he could just take 1 of the 3 spares I have.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

xanthan posted:

Key: ZNSLDJ225U2EE4Z8Q8CM
Key: FY92F5BB2BYEVA73QEZK
Key: ANE2QBALNE7P4VXHB99L
https://register.thesecretworld.com/

Or he could just take 1 of the 3 spares I have.

Grabbed the first one, thanks!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Do good specs make that much of a difference to TSW? I ran the game on a ridiculously over-specced system and even then the engine didn't perform all that great.

Especially noticeable were the massive, one- or two-second-long frame rate drops when moving from indoors to outdoors or one lightning environment to another.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Kessel posted:

Do good specs make that much of a difference to TSW? I ran the game on a ridiculously over-specced system and even then the engine didn't perform all that great.

Especially noticeable were the massive, one- or two-second-long frame rate drops when moving from indoors to outdoors or one lightning environment to another.

Installing on an SSD makes a big difference at least, in my experience.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
In the end the client is still bad because of funcompetence, but some things like lots of ram and installing it to an SSD help.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I have 32 gigs of DDR3 and an SSD. Guess it wasn't meant to be!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Did you run TSW in DX9? With DX10 (11?) the client is particularly bad.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
Whatever you do, don't go into the Market in Egypt. The game generally runs well for me for most solo content, but my computer still turns into a staggering <10 FPS POS when I go there. Also, turning off rain in Transylvania helped a bit when I used to have issue there.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Generally the game runs well for me on maximum settings except for some places where looking in a very specific direction would slow down to single digit FPS.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Things that I enjoyed this past long weekend: Kaidan, except for the parking garage and the bank (I need that lore :qq:). Now that I've got a better AEGIS device, with better AE capacitors, and with the new AEGIS-related skills, it's not nearly the exercise in misery that it was when I first got there.

Things that I didn't enjoy this past long weekend: El Dorado and Stonehenge. If you aren't on the winning side, Stonehenge in particular is just a miserable experience -- once you're king of the hill, it only gets easier, instead of harder. Which sucks, because I love henges.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Worst Dev Ever posted:

The Christmas Conspiracy begins with an invitation to a showing of “The Magic Flute” at the Albion Theatre

THEY REMEMBER IT EXISTS

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

THEY REMEMBER IT EXISTS

You can even get the theater lore still. "End of Days" might be the only one that's completely out of reach. :(

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why is that? Also are you forgetting the Whispering Tide?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

orcane posted:

Why is that? Also are you forgetting the Whispering Tide?

I was able to get the Whispering Tide lore entries a month or two ago -- they've been mostly relocated to various branches in Agartha. I haven't been able to find any End of Days lore, and there aren't any articles I've found that say whether or not they've been moved.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess I'll have to check it out then, kinda stopped bothering with lore after I finished the available entries pre-Whispering Tide.

Regarding End of Days lore, I found posts mentioning it was hidden along the Quetzal's path during the xmas event last year so you might get to collect it again.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

orcane posted:

I guess I'll have to check it out then, kinda stopped bothering with lore after I finished the available entries pre-Whispering Tide.

Regarding End of Days lore, I found posts mentioning it was hidden along the Quetzal's path during the xmas event last year so you might get to collect it again.

That would be loving awesome. (I really like the lore too much.)

Once you collect all the Whispering Tide lore, it goes into a new tab in the lore window titled "Eternal Echoes".

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So I'm back playing this. What's the way to hook up these days since the old mumble doesn't seem to exist anymore?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So few of us play these days I don't know if you can reliably find people. I don't even know if I have it installed. Towards the end of my tenure I messaged people on Steam, which is obviously no help if you aren't already part of the regular crew.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

I think I still have it installed, but haven't updated in 8 months or so. I've thought about logging back on to do 18's for shits and giggles... but then I realize I need to update, and then go on to play another game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

fullTimeLurker posted:

I think I still have it installed, but haven't updated in 8 months or so. I've thought about logging back on to do 18's for shits and giggles... but then I realize I need to update, and then go on to play another game

I keep updating it but seldom launch it. And if I do by the time it loads I realize I have to deal with Tokyo which is the slowest loading zone for some reason. Then I just alt+f4, send the error report that creates, and play something else.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorta stuck-ish in one of the early zones still so I log in, fail this one quest again, and quit. I should probably just go back to the first zone and replay quests for awhile but :effort:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm sorta stuck-ish in one of the early zones still so I log in, fail this one quest again, and quit. I should probably just go back to the first zone and replay quests for awhile but :effort:

For at least the first 3 zones, you should be able to just shoot straight through. If you can narrow it down to what you are having a problem with, we might be able to help. Some of the quest hubs are located in a way that the breadcrumbs lead you to an area that can be above your level, but there's really no need to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Toshimo posted:

For at least the first 3 zones, you should be able to just shoot straight through. If you can narrow it down to what you are having a problem with, we might be able to help. Some of the quest hubs are located in a way that the breadcrumbs lead you to an area that can be above your level, but there's really no need to grind.

My guess is Ami Legend. Because it's always Ami Legend.

• Locked thread