Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I don't think it was a mind blowingly awesome mini that I'll be re-reading several years down the line. But it was an enjoyable and fun read. And, like every other Spock appearance not written by Slott, had a really good Spock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been reading some of the David Michelinie stuff from the late 1980s, early 1990s. It's surprising that he was on the book for as long as he was (seven years; he's had second-longest continuous solo run after Stan Lee), because it doesn't feel very distinctive in the same way that longer runs like JMS or Slott do. I don't know if it's because he was overshadowed by the aritsts he worked with (McFarlane and Larsen) or because he was under a lot of pressure from his editors to do stuff a certain way, but I'm not sure if ever really found a voice for the series.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Scarlet Spiders is looking to be a lot of fun. Still not digging Jessica's costume change though.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Scarlet Spiders is looking to be a lot of fun. Still not digging Jessica's costume change though.

Adding a jacket to a costume it such a bad 90s thing to do. I barely tolerate the hoodie on scarlet spider just because it's so funny to think about.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
2099 is also fun this week. The heroes actually get one over on the super duper vampires and even better, Spidey's comments about getting reinforcements indicate that this Spidey 2099 comes from a timeline before they cancelled half the line and killed the characters off. It would be cool to get to see them in the future.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Superior Foes is incredible. What a good ending for a good book. :)

Shocker finally gets the respect he deserves. :unsmith:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Adding a jacket to a costume it such a bad 90s thing to do. I barely tolerate the hoodie on scarlet spider just because it's so funny to think about.

I still like that Scarlet Spider design :(

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Hoodie Scartet Spider is the best Spider-Man costume, this is just fact.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Aside from the Amazing Bag Man, this is a indeed a fact.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Waterhaul posted:

Black Symbiote Spidey for me, with Future Foundation a close second.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

NotALizardman posted:

That panel with *that* vehicle. Beautiful.

Gonna miss this series.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I gotta admit, the Spider books were pretty awesome.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Are we counting Venom costumes in this? Because the hooded Venom in the latest Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty rad.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

NotALizardman posted:

It was a nice little ending. The funniest gag was Boomerang's girlfriend revealing herself to be Black Cat while the TV behind her has a picture of Boxcat with "SURPRISE!". Lieber's visual gags were great and I should probably pick up Quantum & Woody Must Die. Hopefully he gets more work for Marvel in the future.

I'm definitely going to be giving Ant-Man a shot as well.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I didn't realize Spider Woman came out last week, how was that?

Scarlet Spiders - Pretty awesome. I'm glad to see Kaine back (I didn't read New Warriors). Is this supposed to be a mini series to correspond with Spiderverse or is this something thats going to be ongoing?

Spider Man 2099 - I haven't been reading this book but I really enjoyed this particular issue. I have been loving Spider Man even more since Spiderverse started.

Superior Foes of Spider Man - I can't believe it's over. I loved the last issue so much. The story was fantastic and I'm really going to miss reading this book.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

SalTheBard posted:

I didn't realize Spider Woman came out last week, how was that?

Scarlet Spiders - Pretty awesome. I'm glad to see Kaine back (I didn't read New Warriors). Is this supposed to be a mini series to correspond with Spiderverse or is this something thats going to be ongoing?

Spider Man 2099 - I haven't been reading this book but I really enjoyed this particular issue. I have been loving Spider Man even more since Spiderverse started.

Superior Foes of Spider Man - I can't believe it's over. I loved the last issue so much. The story was fantastic and I'm really going to miss reading this book.

Spider-Woman 1 was terrible, don't read.

Edit: Can someone point me to the best Flash Venom stories?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

hiddenriverninja posted:

Spider-Woman 1 was terrible, don't read.

Thanks for saving me the money!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Also I really hope they run with SHOCKEP being head of the Maggia.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Superior Foes had such a nice ending. I was really glad to be a part of that incredible ride. I hope Spencer's writing continues to improve as he moves onto Ant-Man. Also I need to check out Lieber in Q&W

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

hiddenriverninja posted:

Edit: Can someone point me to the best Flash Venom stories?

Just read the Rick Remender Venom series until he's off the book. So read up until the Savage Six story ends.

Also, Carnage USA.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Metal Loaf posted:

I've been reading some of the David Michelinie stuff from the late 1980s, early 1990s. It's surprising that he was on the book for as long as he was (seven years; he's had second-longest continuous solo run after Stan Lee), because it doesn't feel very distinctive in the same way that longer runs like JMS or Slott do. I don't know if it's because he was overshadowed by the aritsts he worked with (McFarlane and Larsen) or because he was under a lot of pressure from his editors to do stuff a certain way, but I'm not sure if ever really found a voice for the series.

His run was pretty solid, but forgettable.

Roger Stern's run, which introduced me to the book, is still my favorite.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it's really good. I got the Roger Stern omnibus when it came out earlier this year, having only ever read "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" before, and it's become my second-favourite Spider-Man run after the original one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pretty much is the second-best run after the original.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really like Dematteis' run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've not read DeMatteis's run on Amazing (aside from #400) but if it's even half as good as "Kraven's Last Hunt" I'll certainly have to give it a go. I think they're both underrated writers. I read an interview from a few years ago where Stern said he might have stayed on Spider-Man if he'd been aware that Ron Frenz (who illustrated "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man") was going to be taking over from JRJR as penciller; that would've made for a really good team as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dematteis wrote some of my favorite comics and more or less created one of my favorite villains (Zemo Jr.). It's kinda weird that his name isn't better known.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
DeMatteis is really quite great. I loved his run on Spidey. Him, Giffen, and MaGuire though on JLI was wonderful.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The first Spider-Man comics I ever owned were from DeMateiss, which was an arc where Spider-Man had to fight Vermin and Harry Osborn at the same time while having really, really bad flashbacks to being buried alive by Kraven. It was pretty dark, but I really liked it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Peter David writing Spider-Man. I know a lot of people aren't keen, but I enjoyed "The Death of Jean DeWolff" the first time I read it.

And, of course, there's the one where he gets stuck in the suburbs and there's nothing for him to swing from. :D

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I have never heard people badmouth death of Jean Dewolff, is that a thing?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Its easily one of the best Spidey stories ever. But his run on FNSM was forgettable at best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have never heard people badmouth death of Jean Dewolff, is that a thing?

I was under the impression that it had come under fire for a) trying too hard to be dark and gritty and b) fridging DeWolff, but maybe that's a less widespread response than I thought. :shrug:

It and "Kraven's Last Hunt" are both really dark stories, but I think they're as good as they are because they're dark without being gratuitously so. They'd both be in my top ten list of favourite Spider-Man stories.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 29, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Death of Jean DeWolff is easily one of the best Spider-man stories ever written. Although when Peter David returned to Spider-man decades later with Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man, it was loving awful.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I really didn't think Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man was that bad, though it wasn't that great either, but it was nice to see a glimpse of Peter Parker, Teacher for a brief moment, as well as Peter Parker, Who Everyone Knows Is Spider-Man. But that didn't last long. Honestly... yeah, it was forgettable.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Probably Magic posted:

The first Spider-Man comics I ever owned were from DeMateiss, which was an arc where Spider-Man had to fight Vermin and Harry Osborn at the same time while having really, really bad flashbacks to being buried alive by Kraven. It was pretty dark, but I really liked it.

Was that the one where Vermin reverted mentally to a small child and started having flashbacks of being abused or something like that?

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
I used to love J.M. DeMatteis' run on Spectacular and Amazing. Rereading it last year, not so much.

When he's good, he's great. Kraven's Last Hunt, Vermin, The Death of Harry Osborn.

But... In between these storylines are filler issues where Peter acts completely out of character, and is constantly referencing the other stories. You can argue that this is good. Actions have lasting repercussions, that's good, sure.

It's a double edged sword though. You'll have three months that comprise arguably the greatest Spiderman story of all time, but then you'll have eight months of filler with Spidey going out of his mind over Kraven, same thing with the Harry storyline. Nothing much happens in these eight months.

There's also this stilted, Captain Kirk dialogue. A general lack of humor. And the stereotypically gritty 80's feel of his work comes off as a caricature version of the style popular at the time. Basically, Spider Man gets characterized like Batman by DeMatteis.

I like DeMatteis' big six-part stories. But the matrix of dough between the chocolate chips in his run are pretty bland and skippable.

God Of Paradise fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 30, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Death of Jean DeWolff is easily one of the best Spider-man stories ever written. Although when Peter David returned to Spider-man decades later with Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-man, it was loving awful.

Because they dumped a string of stupid mandated event bullshit right in his lap. He had to write around the Other, Civil War, and Back in Black. I remember reading where the book was basically being directed by his editor and he never got to really delve into the plot he has planned from the beginning.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'll believe it. But I doubt his editor made him include the Hobgoblin of 2299.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I'll believe it. But I doubt his editor made him include the Hobgoblin of 2299.

It probably wouldn't have been as bad if he wasn't dancing around the Civil War bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I absolutely believe we would have gotten a good book if he had creative freedom, the guy's batting average is great.

I just really hated the Hobgoblin of 2299 and think he should be ashamed of creating such a bad character.

• Locked thread