Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
You don't need a pro controller, the gamepad is perfectly fine in my opinion. If you have other people to play with though yes get one because it's fantastic and Nintendo is probably on the cusp of solving the worlds energy problems with whatever witchcraft they have inside the controller to give it such a long battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Kaubocks posted:

Is there a way to test Wii U connection speed? My Wii U is only like ten feet away from my modem though they are in different rooms separated by a widely open door. Still, I've had some pretty terrible lag spikes in Smash online and I want to see if it's being caused by me or if it's just Good Old Fashioned Nintendo Online Services.

Not a great test because will most likley handle things differently to games.

But any HTML5 speedtest should work on the WiiU browser.
eg: http://speedof.me/

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

snodig posted:

Picking this up sometimes next week. Some questions!

- Should I get the pro controller?
- How big are the games you can download?
- My wifi is...not that good, so I use ethernet for both my computer and PS4 - is the official USB ethernet adapter any good?

I look forward to play games in 60FPS!

I have the same. Digital downloads are a bit different with Nintendo, when you sell your Wii U you list the games that are on it and they sell for a tiny fraction of what their identically priced hard copies would have sold for. If you are buying digital games from Nintendo you will fill up your 32GB very quickly, so you need to purchase an external hard drive which makes re-selling the system additionally complex.

If your wifi is bad definitely get an adapter because it's the only way you'll be able to connect to the internet.

Pro controller sounds good but it has all the same stuff on it (minus the screen) that the gamepad has, I don't play longer than 4 hours at a time so I just put the gamepad back onto the cradle after.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Uh, so my gamepad lost connection with the WiiU in the middle of Hyrule Warriors. I've tried turning it off and on again, but whenever I try to open anything the same message pops up. I have literally placed the gamepad on top of the WiiU, and it still doesn't work. I don't have the WiiU connected to a TV right now and have just been playing on the gamepad if that helps.

Ive read online that other devices might be interfering with the signal, but nothing changed between it working and not with regards to what cellphones are on and whatnot. I've tried connecting a sensor bar, but that doesn't work either. Is it just broken? :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cloks posted:

I played it on my GBA SP last year and that splash still showed up. I think it's just part of the game.

Stealth advertising! :v:

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Thank you for answering.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Random Stranger posted:

Stealth advertising! :v:

I think the official reason is games with that splash were enhanced for the gameboy player - iirc you could have two controllers and Mario and Luigi could be controlled separately if you played on the GameCube.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Uh, so my gamepad lost connection with the WiiU in the middle of Hyrule Warriors. I've tried turning it off and on again, but whenever I try to open anything the same message pops up. I have literally placed the gamepad on top of the WiiU, and it still doesn't work. I don't have the WiiU connected to a TV right now and have just been playing on the gamepad if that helps.

Ive read online that other devices might be interfering with the signal, but nothing changed between it working and not with regards to what cellphones are on and whatnot. I've tried connecting a sensor bar, but that doesn't work either. Is it just broken? :(

Did you try a hard unplug, wait a minute, and replug?

This happened to me once or twice last year but unfortunately I don't remember what I did to fix it.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
LEGO Movie Video Game for Wii U is on sale at Amazon for $15 if anyone else is interested. I scored Batman 2 and Marvel Superheros for $15 a few weeks back and had been waiting on LEGO Movie until it was the same price.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

If you are buying digital games from Nintendo you will fill up your 32GB very quickly

This is the painful lesson I learned this morning. I'd only picked up two retail titles via the eshop (MK8 & Wind Waker) along with four medium-sized digital-only releases (Ducktales, NES Remix, Chronicles of Mystara, and Little Inferno) and four VC games (LTTP, Superstar Saga, Earthbound, and Super Metroid), which I thought would mean I had plenty of space since I have a 32GB HD. But when I went to go buy Smash this morning, it ended up being a 16 GB DL, forcing me to delete some stuff in order to make it fit. I really don't want to find another spare outlet for an external HD, so I guess I'll be buying physical copies from now on.

In an unrelated question, how come Super Mario RPG isn't available on the VC anymore? I'm almost positive it was available on the Wii VC, although I don't have my console to go check. I certainly would like to give Nintendo some money so that I could play it again!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can use a Y cable to power a hard drive with another USB port on the Wii U instead of a power outlet.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cloks posted:

I think the official reason is games with that splash were enhanced for the gameboy player - iirc you could have two controllers and Mario and Luigi could be controlled separately if you played on the GameCube.

It's more of a side effect of the Gameboy Player accepting input from all ports simultaneously and I doubt the makeshift two-player was ever official or intended or advertised as possible

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

It's more of a side effect of the Gameboy Player accepting input from all ports simultaneously and I doubt the makeshift two-player was ever official or intended or advertised as possible

The Mario wiki says that you could do this with two GBAs, no word on if it was an intended feature.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I'm almost positive "control Luigi" in this context means "B button will do Luigi stuff" just as a second controller would, but maybe I'm wrong

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
The Game Boy Player logo showing up in a GBA game DOES mean that it's GBP enhanced, it's just the only enhancement it could do was "the controller rumbles" so nobody really remembers.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nolgthorn posted:

Pro controller sounds good but it has all the same stuff on it (minus the screen) that the gamepad has, I don't play longer than 4 hours at a time so I just put the gamepad back onto the cradle after.

Ignoring the battery life, it's also a lot smaller and lighter and more comfortable to hold. I prefer it for pretty much every game that doesn't require the touch screen.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

absolutely anything posted:

The Game Boy Player logo showing up in a GBA game DOES mean that it's GBP enhanced, it's just the only enhancement it could do was "the controller rumbles" so nobody really remembers.

Could you stream all of those games as proof?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

elf help book posted:

Could you stream all of those games as proof?

"hmm. yep. it's really rumbling" *holds controller up to microphone* "see"

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

greatn posted:

Did you try a hard unplug, wait a minute, and replug?

This happened to me once or twice last year but unfortunately I don't remember what I did to fix it.

I actually discovered the problem! Nothing was wrong with the ganepad, the Wii u itself wasn't getting power so I replugged it in and it worked

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

DarkstarIV posted:

Question about the Wii U bundles. Do any of them come with a Wii remote as well? Not the tablet, but a remote from an older Wii. I can't really find many answers about it online. Reason I'm asking is because my niece is only 5, and has tiny hands, so she would have trouble holding the tablet or whatever.

Some do, but not all of them. It's mostly the ones that include the game Wii Party U, I think.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Ignoring the battery life, it's also a lot smaller and lighter and more comfortable to hold. I prefer it for pretty much every game that doesn't require the touch screen.

Yea but can you turn off and on your tv without the touchscreen? Hmm

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nolgthorn posted:

Yea but can you turn off and on your tv without the touchscreen? Hmm

This is literally the only downside to the Pro Controller, but I play right next to my screen anyway so reaching over isn't that big of a deal for me.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

ahahha

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Man gives no fucks :allears:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I want a Wii U, Smash Bros. Wii U, and a gamecube controller adapter (I already have plenty of controllers)

Any deals happening now/soon/the next month? I was hoping that maybe around Christmas time I might find something. Currently all I really want is the above and probably Mario 3D World. I can't really find anything good online right now but maybe I'm just bad at internet shopping.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there a way to disable the wiiu pad vibration? It makes the same exact sound my phone does when set on vibration mode and it's insanely distracting.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Two hundred dollar refurbished system is still the way to go, IMO. I personally can vouch for it, three IRL friends, and a bunch of others in the thread have largely had great luck with Nintendo's customer service and refurbished quality.

I have used my Wii U as nothing more than a Mario Kart 8 player (with a Wii packaged inside) and I couldn't be happier.

I now have friends who are of the "I only play PC because that's the superior race" mindset and now ask me "Hey, could you pull out Mario Kart?"

They're also badgering me about Smash, I just haven't been arsed enough to rent it yet.

Also, NintendoLand is seriously under-rated.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Narcissus1916 posted:

Two hundred dollar refurbished system is still the way to go, IMO. I personally can vouch for it, three IRL friends, and a bunch of others in the thread have largely had great luck with Nintendo's customer service and refurbished quality.

I was going to do this but they have none in stock. Guess I just check that page everyday?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Man loves his glasses on women and don't you forget it!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

How Rude posted:

I want a Wii U, Smash Bros. Wii U, and a gamecube controller adapter (I already have plenty of controllers)

Any deals happening now/soon/the next month? I was hoping that maybe around Christmas time I might find something. Currently all I really want is the above and probably Mario 3D World. I can't really find anything good online right now but maybe I'm just bad at internet shopping.

The best deal you will ever find is the refurb for $200. The adapter is your only hard one since it's rare as hell right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
UK dudes, some game deals from ShopTo:

NSMBU - £11.86
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUNE01-new-super-mario-bros-u

Bayonetta 1/2 - £36.85
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUBA05-bayonetta-2-inc-bayonetta-1

ZombiU - £7.85
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUZO01-zombiu

Nintendo Land - £8.86
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUNI02-nintendoland

Mario 3D World - £34.85
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUSU02-super-mario-3d-world

Super Smash Bros U/Mario Amiibo - £49.85
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUSU04-super-smash-bros-amiibo-mario

Super Smash Bros U - £39.85
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUSU01-super-smash-bros

Wii Party U - £12.85
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUWI00-wii-party-u

Rayman Legends - £14.86
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIURA01-rayman-legends

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD w/keyring - £34.85
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUTH01-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-inc-exclusive-keyring

Mario Kart 8 - £37.85
http://www.shopto.net/video-games/wiiu/WIIUMA02-mario-kart-8

limbohead
Jan 1, 2005
pigeons is rats with magic inside
Mario Kart 8 is $35 on amazon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

How Rude posted:

I was going to do this but they have none in stock. Guess I just check that page everyday?

TRU has the 8GB Skylanders bundle (includes Nintendo Land and a bunch of Skylanders crap) for $200 right now, I think.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

TRU has the 8GB Skylanders bundle (includes Nintendo Land and a bunch of Skylanders crap) for $200 right now, I think.

With the fact that the DDP promo is winding to an end and the refurb not coming with any of the extras a physical Deluxe comes with, I'd honestly recommend that bundle. Sell the Skylanders crap and put it towards an external drive, if you're at all interested in the digital games you're going to need more than 32gb.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Good luck finding it anywhere at this point, though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Totalizator posted:

Is there a way to disable the wiiu pad vibration? It makes the same exact sound my phone does when set on vibration mode and it's insanely distracting.

Yes. Press the home button then controller settings.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

How Rude posted:

If you're looking for deals, you usually don't want to wait until after Black Friday is over...

Aside from the aforementioned Skylanders bundle, there have been $300 32gb models bundled with Super Mario 3D World at most stores, and Best Buy has a $360 bundle that also includes Smash and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze.

Doubt those will be around after today though, if there are still any left now.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 29, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I have used my Wii U as nothing more than a Mario Kart 8 player (with a Wii packaged inside) and I couldn't be happier.

I now have friends who are of the "I only play PC because that's the superior race" mindset and now ask me "Hey, could you pull out Mario Kart?"

They're also badgering me about Smash, I just haven't been arsed enough to rent it yet.

Also, NintendoLand is seriously under-rated.

Rent? RENT!?

You buy smash and you buy it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

limbohead posted:

Mario Kart 8 is $35 on amazon.

Flash sale:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4RGO2P76ZES5DML

• Locked thread