Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
I mean obviously there are many other projects that are less wasteful uses of my time but then again here I am posting in yospos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Dessert Rose posted:

fair, but spotlight/Alfred only search my local machine, and they are pull only; I can't see my web server data on my desktop without some serious work, and then I still have to do yet more work to get it on my iPhone or my work machine.

I will freely admit that part of the inspiration for this comes from my childish desire to have a window with scrolling text/graphics on all of my computing devices

except it should show me interesting (to me) data instead of fake placeholders

the ability to write code in a box and have it run on a machine in my cluster without any more effort needed than "type the code" is sort of important too

alfred workflows can run literally any script you want

or just pipe anything you want to syslog and have tail -f going

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

power botton posted:

alfred workflows can run literally any script you want

or just pipe anything you want to syslog and have tail -f going

that's cool actually, I should look at what Alfred is capable of

still though all the code would be running on one of my machines locally and I want to be able to connect from any device and see essentially the same data

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

tail -fing syslog was sort of the inspiration here but not quite "rich" enough if that makes sense

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

nope. nothing about this makes any drat sense.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

power botton posted:

nope. nothing about this makes any drat sense.

welp

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

make custom filesystems for each thing and spotlight to search them :catdrugs:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

it sounds like you want a webpage honestly. have a bunch of scripts that periodically poll whatever service you are interested in and dump it as json in postgres and then write a simple rails app that queries that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

power botton posted:

nope. nothing about anything makes any drat sense.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Snapchat A Titty posted:

make custom filesystems for each thing and spotlight to search them :catdrugs:

plan 9 was a bad idea

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

it sounds like you want a webpage honestly. have a bunch of scripts that periodically poll whatever service you are interested in and dump it as json in postgres and then write a simple rails app that queries that

great now im using postgres as an unstructured data store for transient data and writing a loving rails app thats definitely what i want to do

i dont necessarily want any of this data to exist past its origination, like the log reader agent will just go "here is the latest line from the nginx error log on the butts server" and then anyone interested in that stream will get it and if some chain of agents processing that stream results in it going into a database, cool, if it ends up on a screen somewhere, great

but to me the main feature is that i can modify that signal chain on the fly, write new agents to run wherever, from anywhere, without having to copy files around, and it should Just Work, all the time (so the agents have to end up on a box in my cloud somewhere)

that's why alfred [probably] doesn't work for me, it does all the processing on a local box, and i dont want to have to work out syncing this poo poo between my desktop and laptop

a web page could work as a "screen" in the half assed uncommunicable design i have in my head but i definitely want to do more than just roll up some logs and tail -f them

ill freely admit that 99% of this will be overengineered crap but it'll be fun overengineered crap

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

publish the log as an rss feed

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Malcolm XML posted:

lets say hashing takes 5us. 1k instances, goes up and down between 600-1100 as demand goes up and down so: 5ms. Network latency is 10s-100s of ms, who gives a gently caress

if u tryin to route packets and trades and poo poo, sure

doesn't that assume that your system only has to do one lookup to service the request? if you have to call out to a few other distributed systems in turn, things could get noticeable. (20ms overhead would be noticeable in some applications, like ad bidding or typeahead.)

5us does seem like a generous budget for hashing, though!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody posted:

publish the log as an rss feed

yeah, reinventing RSS/Atom is a good place to start.

we use thrift/scribe/not-apple's-swift underneath FB ticker, but the latter two are mostly to get scale

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Subjunctive posted:

doesn't that assume that your system only has to do one lookup to service the request? if you have to call out to a few other distributed systems in turn, things could get noticeable. (20ms overhead would be noticeable in some applications, like ad bidding or typeahead.)

rendevous hashing is good when you have a fantastic hash + small amount of servers, and you're servicing requests as they come

i am exploring using rendevous hashing instead of vnodes but i'll tell you how well it works

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

tef posted:

rendevous hashing is good when you have a fantastic hash + small amount of servers, and you're servicing requests as they come

i am exploring using rendevous hashing instead of vnodes but i'll tell you how well it works

are you implementing this on top of riak? want a hand?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

remember the hash calc can be parallelized, embarrassingly. maybe if u have a cool hash function u could do some precalculation. 5us is kind of a lot as well i think it's about 10-50x overkill

also yes 5ms is basically pointless for low latency stuff ( < 100ms say)

yeah if u have to make more than one or two lookups its gonna be bad

solution: dont do that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

tef posted:

tell me more about your fantastic hash

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
SHA-420

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SHA420_WITH_TCC_219

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

steveklabnik's "The Guide" posted:

Next, "Hello, world!" is a string. Strings are a surprisingly complicated topic in a systems programming language, and

Oh, Klabbs :allears:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

sarehu posted:

Oh, Klabbs :allears:

strings are an opaque blob with optional encoding metadata that can only be handled by the appropriate library (icu). period

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
since all you need is a semi-even distribution, shouldn't CRC32 be fine? then you can calculate a new hash(message, server) every cycle

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
lock-free data structures papers and talks are baffling. from a note to slide 30: "I have a nagging feeling that we actually need four barriers", "avoids a possibly theoretical problem", "often implies correctness", "it is probably not needed"

does anyone actually write lock-free data structures, as opposed to lock-free data structure papers

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

hackbunny posted:

lock-free data structures papers and talks are baffling. from a note to slide 30: "I have a nagging feeling that we actually need four barriers", "avoids a possibly theoretical problem", "often implies correctness", "it is probably not needed"

does anyone actually write lock-free data structures, as opposed to lock-free data structure papers

yeah and what they usually mean is memory barriers

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
it's painful to read, there are so many pitfalls and portability issues. volatile objects may or may not have barriers. CPU barriers may or may not count as compiler barriers. correctness is "probable". I want to write lock-free code but even the experts goof up so often, compilers don't give a poo poo and actively work against you, and libraries are a little pathetic

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

writing lock-free code is for people who think doing exception safety in C++ was for casuals and make strict-aliasing jokes at dinner parties.

on basically every team I've ever managed, once performance work gets to a certain point someone will demand to jump down the rabbit hole in search of lock-free bliss. I've learned that there's nothing to be done but let them do it and pull them up when the tugs on the rope become frantic. (exception: deploying read-copy-update, if the stars align and you can meet the scheduler requirements without detonating the architecture of your code.)

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Give up and use locks.

Or a single thread.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Zombywuf posted:

Give up and use locks.

Or a single thread.

use python and get both for free

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

hackbunny posted:

do single-producer single-consumer queues count?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

hackbunny posted:

it's painful to read, there are so many pitfalls and portability issues. volatile objects may or may not have barriers. CPU barriers may or may not count as compiler barriers. correctness is "probable". I want to write lock-free code but even the experts goof up so often, compilers don't give a poo poo and actively work against you, and libraries are a little pathetic

I like to look at new open source releases for supar spiffy library(tm) and they always gently caress up barriers or side effects on atomic ops, it's a funny train wreck. Almost every single implementation is wrong, even GCC and GMP are fruity.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Soricidus posted:

use python and get both for free

locks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

the gil is so powerful that you don't need any other locks

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

the talent deficit posted:

strings are an opaque blob with optional encoding metadata that can only be handled by the appropriate library (icu). period

You also need support for different encodings of different substrings, in order to support string concatenation, because pairs of character sets exist that do not have a common superset.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sarehu posted:

You also need support for different encodings of different substrings, in order to support string concatenation, because pairs of character sets exist that do not have a common superset.

or you can choose to not support that model and let the program manage string sequences itself since that really never happens.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
so i need to make a dead simple api. it has only one endpoint, and the result is going to be a json object with a name and a date and a time. it will accomplish this by querying some database table full of datetimes and names and returning the next closest one in the future.

I would say .NET but I don't want to pay for azure for it. What is the most :effort: way to accomplish this with a p-lang? I was thinking Rails but idk.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Careful Drums posted:

so i need to make a dead simple api. it has only one endpoint, and the result is going to be a json object with a name and a date and a time. it will accomplish this by querying some database table full of datetimes and names and returning the next closest one in the future.

I would say .NET but I don't want to pay for azure for it. What is the most :effort: way to accomplish this with a p-lang? I was thinking Rails but idk.

kill ruby then yourself

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
php it is

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

/index_bak.php?sql=SELECT%20*%20FROM%20items%20ORDER%20BY%20time%20DESC%20LIMIT%201

hth op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
when did "api" start meaning "rest api"