Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Wank posted:

Surely after 30 years it is the good guys running all that imperial equipment? I like that it seems tech progress has stalled since the empire downfall. Probe droids are one of my favourite star war things. Excited.

Big rear end spoilers:

RotJ was not a total defeat of the Empire by any means - the war against the Empire has continued up to and into this new film, and the whole Galaxy has a very beaten-up and worn down feeling due to decades of constant war. Of course, we don't yet know what sort of leadership replaced Vader and Palps, but we can only assume there were a bunch of hi-ranking bad guys ready to step in and replace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Big rear end spoilers:

RotJ was not a total defeat of the Empire by any means - the war against the Empire has continued up to and into this new film, and the whole Galaxy has a very beaten-up and worn down feeling due to decades of constant war. Of course, we don't yet know what sort of leadership replaced Vader and Palps, but we can only assume there were a bunch of hi-ranking bad guys ready to step in and replace them.

It was basically established already in the first movie that the regional Imperial governors were given a very large degree of autonomy and each likely has a Star Destroyer or two if not more at his disposal and large numbers of storm troopers and other ground troops, enough to govern the Empire through fear with the dissolution of the Senate as a governing body. I always imagined that those governors would probably either surrender their forces to the rebels or more likely set themselves up as independent warlords upon the destruction of Palpatine, and it seems the EU did as well (though I never did delve deeply into that, except from the Kyle Katarn games, the radio drama and Rogue Squadron).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Trailer was acceptable. Silly claymoresaber, awesome x-wings, nice soccer droid.

Am sorta hyped.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

zVxTeflon posted:

Are the people complaining about the new lightsaber aware that Chewy uses a crossbow blaster gun? A crossbow, that shoots a laser.

Blasters aren't lasers they're superheated something something gas goddamn it trap sprung etc.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

That shot of the falcon was gorgeous. Made my dick so hard I could cut glass with it. Ball-droid is adorable. Long-saber is awesome. Rock hard and dripping.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Are the people complaining about the new lightsaber aware that Chewy uses a crossbow blaster gun? A crossbow, that shoots a laser.

I just thought it looked stupid. And to be honest it's okay for Star Wars to be stupid.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Lipset and Rock On posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but technological progress never really seems like much of a 'thing' in Star Wars. Was there any notable improvement in tech between the prequels and original trilogy?

Like any good fantasy universe, Star Wars technology always seems oddly stagnant.

Also, the more I think about how a light whip would work the more it hurts my brain.

Ep 1 shows the old Republic in full flight before its downfall, elegant ships, tech not really made for war. Ep 2 and 3 is about why humans are better than droids (clones) at least and we start to see the mass produced made for fighting form over function tech. Episode 3 should have shown why white guys are better than black clones for a empire and since it doesn't that is one of he major failures of that movie with Lucas just giving into fan boys. Ep 4 shows empire in full flight tech and 5 and 6 the evolution of it as the rebellion is in full force. Technology evolution in Star Wars is pretty neat.

I guess what I really mean is, the fascist totalitarian time of. Empire would have seen more stuff manufactured than any other time. One Death Star, let alone two is likely unheard of at any other time, I guess post ROTJ especially. It makes sense that all that stuff would be used for decades afterwards with little more need for development.

(I am avoiding spoilers now) EDIT: pockets of lingering empire is boring EU poo poo I hope they don't use.

Wank fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 29, 2014

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Randarkman posted:

I just thought it looked stupid. And to be honest it's okay for Star Wars to be stupid.

Honestly I think it's lingering caution from the OMG SO SERIOUS Darth Maul saberstaff reveal.

Crossguard laserblades seem silly and not that practical but whatever, it's a space wizard sword.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The trailer is intriguing, which is good for a teaser. I want to know more about everything I see.

The X-Wings over water was the best part.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

Ravane posted:

Ewoks can't take down stormtroopers. Why the gently caress was building a second death star a plot anyway?

Ewoks captured a jedi and loving eat people. Ewoks are terrifying.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

zVxTeflon posted:

...okay, I dislike Abrams body of work or anything he touches and don't give a poo poo about Star Wars but something so silly I have to see.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Gatts posted:

...okay, I dislike Abrams body of work or anything he touches and don't give a poo poo about Star Wars but something so silly I have to see.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bowcaster

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

zVxTeflon posted:

Isn't the wookiee bow actually a railgun that's just crossbow-shaped?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Wank posted:

Ep 1 shows the old Republic in full flight before its downfall, elegant ships, tech not really made for war. Ep 2 and 3 is about why humans are better than droids (clones) at least and we start to see the mass produced made for fighting form over function tech. Episode 3 should have shown why white guys are better than black clones for a empire and since it doesn't that is one of he major failures of that movie with Lucas just giving into fan boys.

Palpatine was heavily involved with the creation of the clones and there was a lot of biological and mental tampering with the template they got from Jango. The Clone Wars series delves a bit deeper into this and by the series conclusion it is pretty clear that the clones are not meant to stay healthy, let alone live for a particularly long time.

Gatts posted:

Chewy had his crossbow throughout the Original Trilogy and the weapon's been a staple in Star Wars games.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Gatts posted:

That was made by Lucas, not Abrams. Star Wars was hosed before Abrams came and fixed everything.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I can't talk to anyone about the teaser without the whole conversation basically being

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

Randarkman posted:

It was basically established already in the first movie that the regional Imperial governors were given a very large degree of autonomy and each likely has a Star Destroyer or two if not more at his disposal and large numbers of storm troopers and other ground troops, enough to govern the Empire through fear with the dissolution of the Senate as a governing body. I always imagined that those governors would probably either surrender their forces to the rebels or more likely set themselves up as independent warlords upon the destruction of Palpatine, and it seems the EU did as well (though I never did delve deeply into that, except from the Kyle Katarn games, the radio drama and Rogue Squadron).

This is what's worrying me about the persistence of the rebellion and empire. What made the empire of the original trilogy great was that it felt like a huge, imposing regime that had an immense grasp of the galaxy. A group of regional governors or warlords relying on remnants of the empire seems like an insignificant opposition by comparison. It also diminishes the elation and sense of finality of the ending of Return of the Jedi.

Although, without knowing the full details of narrative, these concerns could be completely unfounded. For all we know, there might not even be an empire and rebellion anymore. Maybe the stormtroopers have been reincorporated into the new Republic as the clone troopers used to be.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So then,

A lightsaber with a blaster built into it: That would be awesome why haven't they done this?
A crossbow with a blaster built into it: How ridiculous.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Isn't the wookiee bow actually a railgun that's just crossbow-shaped?

That's EU bullshit. It's literally a crossbow that shoots lasers. If you try to explain it "scientifically" then you are a tool and you don't get Star Wars.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So does anyone else remember pages ago, before the trailer release, when SMG said star wars fans don't like star wars?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Murder McMurderson posted:

This is what's worrying me about the persistence of the rebellion and empire. What made the empire of the original trilogy great was that it felt like a huge, imposing regime that had an immense grasp of the galaxy. A group of regional governors or warlords relying on remnants of the empire seems like an insignificant opposition by comparison. It also diminishes the elation and sense of finality of the ending of Return of the Jedi.

Although, without knowing the full details of narrative, these concerns could be completely unfounded. For all we know, there might not even be an empire and rebellion anymore. Maybe the stormtroopers have been reincorporated into the new Republic as the clone troopers used to be.

Well, who says the Empire folded after RotJ? Sure, the Rebellion blew up the Death Star (again) and killed the Emperor, but it wasn't like there wasn't a huge Imperial government apparatus in place that would continue on without him.

The Battle of Endor was a big win for the rebels but it's just one battle, it's not the end of the war.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

echronorian posted:

So does anyone else remember pages ago, before the trailer release, when SMG said star wars fans don't like star wars?

I would like to hear more about this, actually.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

echronorian posted:

I do. SMG is wise.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

I can't talk to anyone about the teaser without the whole conversation basically being

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

iSheep posted:

I would like to hear more about this, actually.

He's said it before as well. I think the general gist is that the usual answer for "Best" Star Wars movie is Empire, and it's the movie that's least like the other five. So it's not necessarily an indefensible position.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Ash1138 posted:

That's an odd way to say, "Samuel L Jackson asked for a purple lightsaber and he got a purple lightsaber."

You mean he asked for electrum. I saw it online.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Potential BFF posted:

Glad that leaked Stormtrooper helmet design turned out to be legit, I like it. I'm 100% on board and hyped, but one of the TIEs in the trailer totally should have been an Interceptor. Not a gripe, just love for mean Imperial dagger fighters. Probably not as iconic as the regular ones but it's a better design.

*furiously masturbates to the thought of T/Is swarming around on the big screen again*

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, the major EU revival is collectively known as the "New Republic" series, covers about 15 years after RotJ if memory serves, and devotes a lot of pages to the titular New Republic fighting the Imperial remnant in its various forms.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Well, who says the Empire folded after RotJ? Sure, the Rebellion blew up the Death Star (again) and killed the Emperor, but it wasn't like there wasn't a huge Imperial government apparatus in place that would continue on without him.

The Battle of Endor was a big win for the rebels but it's just one battle, it's not the end of the war.

I am inclined to believe this the case.

If I'm not mistaken, the Rebellion dedicated almost the entirety of their fleet to the attack and lost several of their capital ships in the battle while the Empire lost their flagship and portions of a single fleet in addition to the Death Star II. If the Empire really was a giant monolithic fascist regime with an iron grip on the galaxy, that leaves a lot of assets with which to maintain that grip.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Ravane posted:

I honestly have not seen Episode three so I can't comment on it.

I've never heard of someone who cares about Star Wars so much that they look for answers to weird EU minutiae, but still hasn't seen all six movies. I mean, it's 100% cool if you never see that movie I'm just... surprised.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I've never heard of someone who cares about Star Wars so much that they look for answers to weird EU minutiae, but still hasn't seen all six movies. I mean, it's 100% cool if you never see that movie I'm just... surprised.

Yoda's race actually revealed in Revenge of the Sith

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sombrerotron posted:

*furiously masturbates to the thought of T/Is swarming around on the big screen again*

I didn't even realized how much I missed that T-Fighter sound. Does that actually has a name?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LesterGroans posted:

He's said it before as well. I think the general gist is that the usual answer for "Best" Star Wars movie is Empire, and it's the movie that's least like the other five. So it's not necessarily an indefensible position.

But doesn't that boil down to "the exceptional one is also the least typical one"? Because, well, yes, that's what makes it exceptional. The tallest building in a city is far above the average building height; that's what makes it tallest.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

WarLocke posted:

To me, the death of Emperor Palpatine represents the end of his Sith empire. All the other people who were part of the empire (except Vader) seem extraneous. I'm willing to accept that the conflict continued to exist after Palpatine's death, but I really hope JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan have thought of a way to give the conflict the same level of gravity.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

feedmyleg posted:

You don't want to smell the inside of those Sandtrooper uniforms.

And I thought they smelled bad...on the INSIDE.

Thank you I will be here all night!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Powered Descent posted:

But doesn't that boil down to "the exceptional one is also the least typical one"? Because, well, yes, that's what makes it exceptional. The tallest building in a city is far above the average building height; that's what makes it tallest.

Yeah, maybe. He'd have to argue his position, but I think the point is less " this building is the tallest" and more "this car is my favorite motorcycle". It's not that it does every Star Wars thing the best, it's that it's so strange and great in a singular way.

Again, I don't necessarily agree, but I get the argument.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars because they constantly complain about all the things that make Star Wars unique: silly names, goofy-looking creatures, indulgent special effects set pieces, hokey dialogue, abbreviated character development, etc.

I don't think that's what SMG means when he says it, though.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
It feels like Empire got some really great writing and stuff and the they let it slip for RotJ because they were doing so well and somehow felt like they couldn't do anything wrong perhaps.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Lightflamberge.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wank posted:

Ep 1 shows the old Republic in full flight before its downfall, elegant ships, tech not really made for war. Ep 2 and 3 is about why humans are better than droids (clones) at least and we start to see the mass produced made for fighting form over function tech. Episode 3 should have shown why white guys are better than black clones for a empire and since it doesn't that is one of he major failures of that movie with Lucas just giving into fan boys. Ep 4 shows empire in full flight tech and 5 and 6 the evolution of it as the rebellion is in full force. Technology evolution in Star Wars is pretty neat.

I guess what I really mean is, the fascist totalitarian time of. Empire would have seen more stuff manufactured than any other time. One Death Star, let alone two is likely unheard of at any other time, I guess post ROTJ especially. It makes sense that all that stuff would be used for decades afterwards with little more need for development.

(I am avoiding spoilers now) EDIT: pockets of lingering empire is boring EU poo poo I hope they don't use.

The m16 and it's variants have been around now for 52 years. Hueys were used in the Iraq war for medivac etc and they were introduced into service until the late 50s. Besides which there's not a huge visual difference between a Panzer tank and a modern m1 Abrams, obviously there's pretty big differences but it still amounts to a big gently caress off gun, a smaller gun, tracks and armour.

60-70 years it's not a stretch for there to be fairly similar looking fighter space craft and shooty bangs in use. It's kind of a stupid thing for people to pick "fault" with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
With the deaths of Vader and Palpatine, there's a power vacuum that's going to want to be filled by every Moff in the fleet.

• Locked thread