Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

soooooo after driving your car and falling in love with all the eightys technology and styling I may be doing something a little insane. My accord is getting put up on the chopping block for the first rear wheel jdm I find.

BRUH

I'LL RACE U BRUH

BRUUUUUH

You should make your life even more miserable than mine and get a Starion. XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

BRUH

I'LL RACE U BRUH

BRUUUUUH

You should make your life even more miserable than mine and get a Starion. XD

Listen to this man. I've always wanted a StarQuest, get one so I can live vicariously through you :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If you're worried about rolling backwards on a hill, you can use your handbrake to hold you momentarily.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

mariooncrack posted:

If you're worried about rolling backwards on a hill, you can use your handbrake to hold you momentarily.

My handbrake is non-functional.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
please stop....someone in Indiana has a 200zx and ive been looking at it....just needs some clutch work.....I hate my hands and love being abused by ancient rusty bolts...what could go wrong....also I cant find any starions...and mariooncrack his handbrake is more for asthetics at this point in time.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My handbrake is non-functional.

Hey, found something that will be very useful for you if the info is even slightly accurate.

http://diyservicemanuals.com/nissan-300zx-service-repair-manuals/

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Plinkey posted:

Hey, found something that will be very useful for you if the info is even slightly accurate.

:argh: I was just coming to post this!!!!! but speglord firecock you know how I said rx7s are a bad idea if you aren't very mechanically inclined....Ive found one in the gen I like and in a good price range......ive also found a few ford v8s for cheap that drop right in :getin:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

:argh: I was just coming to post this!!!!! but speglord firecock you know how I said rx7s are a bad idea if you aren't very mechanically inclined....Ive found one in the gen I like and in a good price range......ive also found a few ford v8s for cheap that drop right in :getin:

Plinkey posted:

Oh yes, that will do nicely.

Downloading now.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Also on the way home my wife told me she wants to completely rebuild a motor. perfect reason to buy a rotary or a bad v8 to rebuild and drop in....

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

Also on the way home my wife told me she wants to completely rebuild a motor. perfect reason to buy a rotary or a bad v8 to rebuild and drop in....

Get the 20B motor that they made only in Japan. Thing apparently lifts the front end off the ground in 80's era RX7s.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You mean the front end?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Fucknag posted:

You mean the front end?

Yes, I am dumb. :<

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
that sounds expensive... and putting a small block v8 in a small Japanese sports car just gives me an instachub....plus my wife is more into euro/merican cars anyways...she did give me the go ahead to try and find an old bmw to fix....she also started telling me all the things she noticed with your car. and she laughed at your rims....

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

SouthsideSaint posted:

that sounds expensive... and putting a small block v8 in a small Japanese sports car just gives me an instachub....plus my wife is more into euro/merican cars anyways...she did give me the go ahead to try and find an old bmw to fix....she also started telling me all the things she noticed with your car. and she laughed at your rims....

I think the rims look nice. :< Mind you, I'd like them to be black.

What did she notice about my car? Hopefully good things.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SouthsideSaint posted:

that sounds expensive... and putting a small block v8 in a small Japanese sports car just gives me an instachub....

Well, let's do this right then. $1495 is a deal, now all you have to do is find a 302 and tranny.

http://grannys.tripod.com/2ndgenrx7fordv8.html

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

With every post, this thread title becomes more and more apropos.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

With every post, this thread title becomes more and more apropos.

This is literally the reason I named this thread that.

Everyone and their mother stated that getting this car was a terrible terrible idea, and I named it in honor of them. So far, I have had absolutely no regrets about buying this car. My mom and fiancee are insisting that "WELL, WHEN YOU BUY A CAR, IT SHOULD BE PERFECTLY RELIABLE AND RUN PERFECTLY", and I insisted that I indeed got it because I understood that it was NOT going to run perfectly, and would require some help and TLC to stay up and be a good car.

So far, what's happened is pretty much what I have expected to happen. I did not go into this expecting a perfect car, and I have not been disappointed. But when the car works, I love driving it, and it draws people's attention like nothing else. It's a wonderful car to drive and own.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

I think the rims look nice. :< Mind you, I'd like them to be black.

What did she notice about my car? Hopefully good things.

She noticed the way they spray painted the rims and found it funny. She liked how clean it looked and the shape. She has OCD most of the time. She also loved the flip up headlights and that they worked. But she always laughs when someone ghetto paints rims. also she loves 80's futuristic feauturus

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SouthsideSaint posted:

The correct answer is a small block in a rust free (if you can find it) 280z :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It's winter. The heater was on full blast.

The only issue is, I'm not entirely sure where even the radiator is on this thing. There's no heat transferer-looking thingy, only the two big fans in front and that's about all I see. I'll take a picture of the engine, or maybe someone can use the picture I already have on the first page and circle what I need to dump fluid into/drain fluid out of.

As long as I generally know what piece I'm looking at, I should be able to figure it out.

The radiator is at an angle wedged in the nose. The cap is readily accessible off the upper rad hose though as is the drain under a splash shield.

Also it looks like the previous owner removed the fan cowling which will not help with cooling either... although it will greatly help get at the thermostat if you need too! :buddy:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm glad I found this thread; it's nice to find someone else in northern Illinois with some vintage J-tin. And hey, yours runs, sporadically! That's miles ahead of mine, at least.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Professor Bling posted:

I'm glad I found this thread; it's nice to find someone else in northern Illinois with some vintage J-tin. And hey, yours runs, sporadically! That's miles ahead of mine, at least.

Yeah, juuuust need to make sure that it just needs more coolant and isn't something like "everything is broken, congrats".

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Okay, so, I'm gonna be flushing the coolant soon, it's a pretty nice day out. No idea what I'm gonna use to catch the coolant, probably just gonna use a crappy baking sheet or something.

For flushing, we have this water cooler, y'know, the kind with the big bottle on top, you toggle the switch, water comes out, you get the idea. Can I use that water to flush, or am I gonna need to make a trip to get actual distilled water?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
That should be fine. and I mean just make sure the bulk of it is out of the radiator before you close the petcock. also as a forwarning coolant may leak when its full and you have a good coolant. Its just that you may have had enough to get the car running but not enough to get to that point in the system and leak. Or the pressure from the correct amount may cause a leak somewhere in the system which may be as old as???????

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Okay, cool, I got it drained and flushed, no biggie.

Now for the next part of filling. Do I just dump the whole stuff into the radiator and good to go? Or part in the radiator, part in the reservoir?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
As much as the radiator will take the first time. Then lit it run till the temp gauge reads warm. Then check the level again and add to the radiator or add to the reservoir.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
We're good.

Running and nice and frosty in the 10 min trip around the block that I took it on.

I'll run it a bit more viciously in a bit to see if the needle will start climbing again, but there were a few nasty chunks in the old coolant, so I'm not super worried.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
yeah id make sure that you have enough coolant. all cars are different and will hold air pockets different which could lead to over heating. or stick a thermostat.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Hoo boy.

Okay, so, the car is not running again, it's still overheating, and it pretty much was staying at neutral for a bit at a stoplight, and the revs started, uh, chugging, until it cut off, stalled, and wouldn't start again.

I have no idea what's wrong.

Car is currently sitting in an abandoned gas station parking lot because it was the closest place we could push it to, and now I might just take it to a shop and hope to dear god they can fix it, because I am worried. :<

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hoo boy.

Okay, so, the car is not running again, it's still overheating, and it pretty much was staying at neutral for a bit at a stoplight, and the revs started, uh, chugging, until it cut off, stalled, and wouldn't start again.

I have no idea what's wrong.

Car is currently sitting in an abandoned gas station parking lot because it was the closest place we could push it to, and now I might just take it to a shop and hope to dear god they can fix it, because I am worried. :<

How much 50/50 did you put in? Like more or less than a full container?

E: Also the way I usually do a flush is to fill the radiator with garden hose water and keep the water turned on after it runs clear out of the petcock, close the petcock keep the hose water on then run the motor it a bit until the thermostat opens to try and get to the heater core then drain the whole thing again and refill....but that's an F150 straight 6 which will run without coolant if it's cold enough so not sure if that will work for you. (all this with the coolant output hose from the engine unhooked so it just drains and doesn't head back into the radiator).

e2: Also filling it with 10% simple green 90% hose water and running it for a bit to clean some poo poo out.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 29, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
A complete full container. That's it. Well-drained beforehand.

Edit:

About 2/3rds in the actual radiator, 1/3rd in the reservoir.

fishception fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 29, 2014

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A complete full container. That's it. Well-drained beforehand.

Edit:

About 2/3rds in the actual radiator, 1/3rd in the reservoir.

It should take about 12 quarts, which is ~3 gallons, you need more.

e:

Or your thermostat is hosed.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 29, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
is there not a fill line on the expansion tank that you're supposed to fill it to?

Is there any coolant in the expansion tank at all?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

rscott posted:

is there not a fill line on the expansion tank that you're supposed to fill it to?

Is there any coolant in the expansion tank at all?

I didn't see a fill line.

Yes, there's coolant in the expnasion tank.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Yes, that ugly as sin thing.

..... Aaaah, there's the fill line.

It's at that line.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Did you fill the radiator until it wouldn't take anymore, though? If you didn't, you are running it low on coolant and risking engine damage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You need to make sure the air is all burped out of the system. Run it with the cap off until the thermostat opens and you can see the fluid flowing underneath it, then keep topping it up. Even if the reservoir is at the fill line, it's possible its plugged so don't rely on that for coolant level.

If it still overheats, I'd be leaning towards something other than the cooling system itself, it might just be a symptom. Since the PO obviously had it apart and set up the questionable boostu plus sketchy electrics/sensors even 20 years ago, god knows what.

You might want to get familiar with the ECU and learn how to run the codes with the built in LED lights. It's in the passenger foot well.

Is it detonating? Since the fan cowling is off you might want to check the timing as well.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
As it stands, it won't even turn over. Key turns over, nothing happens, period. Already checked the battery terminals from last time, so, eh.

I'm taking it into the shop, this is beyond my (admittedly limited) expertise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wait, do you mean the key turns and nothing happens, or the key turns and the engine cranks but won't actually start?

• Locked thread