Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

ta-nehisi coates recent tweets have inspired me to purchase and try out the new dragon age

unfortunately it will be done downloading in twelve hours so i guess ill just go get drunk in public somewhere instead of staying indoors on a friday night like a goon idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

don't worry, i'll goon for the both of us

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i missed weed chat earlier but yeah, big tobacco isn't going to dominate the legal weed industry unless something happens

weed is just too easy to make. you can put together a decent wildcat grow op for a few dozen thousand dollars and start producing good crops in months if you know what you're doing. hell, you can grow decent weed in your closet. weed is easier to make than beer. hydro is so obviously the way to go but it's relatively inexpensive such that good bud weed is going to be heavily brand focused and likely sensitive to the dynamics of local artisinal hipster production. since people don't smoke weed (night time intoxication) like they smoke tobacco (constant stream of buzz) you're not likely to see marlboro spliffs on sale at the gas station as much as you are to go to the local dispensary and buy something called 'Blueberry Arabian Nights' for like $30 a gram

but

i think a broader consumer weed market would include processed weed, such as edibles, tinctures, drinks, and such. particular strains of weed that are pleasant to smoke won't matter here, as you're just rendering down raw marijuana into THC liquor stock as an industrial product. to that extent open air mass agriculture grows are feasible, as making a few plants that are highly concentrated doesn't matter as much as if you can just grow bushels of lovely weed for pennies. if tobacco keeps taking a hit in the US market you may see the big tobacco farms moving in that direction because growing crappy tobacco and processing it is more or less the same as growing lovely weed and processing it, except growing weed is a lot easier

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
modern cigarettes aren't really tobacco anyway, they're Reconstituted Sheet Tobacco

when they process tobacco they more or less make an easily transportable fiber-paste out of it. this is shredded and sprayed with tobacco juice obtained when the squeeze the fluids out of the fiber-paste. so mass market cigarettes are made from tobacco which is really tobacco paper which has been adulterated with various concentrations of nicotine-containing tobacco juice. this same principle is easier to apply to general weed products, but cannot be applied to raw bud weed which is the festish object of weed connoisseurs. the closest analogue would be those dudes who are really into roll-your-own cigs, except they actually purchase whole dried tobacco leaves and personally grind them. RJR or Altria don't sell whole leaves of virginia burley

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

modern cigarettes aren't really tobacco anyway, they're Reconstituted Sheet Tobacco

when they process tobacco they more or less make an easily transportable fiber-paste out of it. this is shredded and sprayed with tobacco juice obtained when the squeeze the fluids out of the fiber-paste. so mass market cigarettes are made from tobacco which is really tobacco paper which has been adulterated with various concentrations of nicotine-containing tobacco juice. this same principle is easier to apply to general weed products, but cannot be applied to raw bud weed which is the festish object of weed connoisseurs. the closest analogue would be those dudes who are really into roll-your-own cigs, except they actually purchase whole dried tobacco leaves and personally grind them. RJR or Altria don't sell whole leaves of virginia burley

That's what I'm saying---marijuana's potential value lies in marketing and processed products. Sure, you could grow your own weed; why would you when you would owe taxes on anything you produce over a certain value and you could get better, cheaper, socially-conscious products for less?

Smoking marijuana is going the way of cigarettes, and for good reason. Have fun trying to smoke some pot at your local bar, there's indoor air pollution standards for a reason. Now, if you want a cup of 'THC-infuzed raspberry martini' that you know will give you a consistent buzz of a consistent quality for a consistent period of time? That's where the money is.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i don't know if it actually turned out to be a problem, but back before it was legalised in uruguay, there was a concern that legal weed plantations couldn't produce weed cheap enough to compete with illegal weed from paraguay. smugglers buy it for :10bux: per kilo in paraguay, sell it for $30 per kilo in uruguay and it's available for anywhere between $20 per 25 grams at the border to $120 in the capital. the government was pretty sure they could outcompete the illegal weed in the capital, but had to rely on their product's quality near the borders... and that's not always the prime concern when it comes to drugs.

but that was more than a year ago and i haven't been following it up, so who knows?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

but that was more than a year ago and i haven't been following it up, so who knows?

it doesn't make sense, unless legal weed means taxation and regulation like minimum wage which drives the price up. weed is stupidly cheap to produce. it's basically gardening. the biggest price increase on weed is the cost of producing and distributing a contraband product.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Smoking marijuana is going the way of cigarettes, and for good reason. Have fun trying to smoke some pot at your local bar, there's indoor air pollution standards for a reason. Now, if you want a cup of 'THC-infuzed raspberry martini' that you know will give you a consistent buzz of a consistent quality for a consistent period of time? That's where the money is.

stoners have already solved this problem. sneaky vapes, edibles, or just get high before you go out. in colorado you can get weed candies like gummy bears and sour patch kids, which are quick and easy to pop without anyone noticing while you're out in public. i'm actually a bit worried about THC-infused cocktails because it'll cause newbies to get too hosed up and do something stupid and dangerous, which will then be blamed on weed

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 29, 2014

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

it doesn't make sense, unless legal weed means taxation and regulation like minimum wage which drives the price up. weed is stupidly cheap to produce. it's basically gardening
if the scheme that was proposed then hasn't been changed, there are two legal sources of weed: you can grow it yourself (6 plant limit) or in a designated club (99 plants) - or you can buy it in a pharmacy with a limit of 40 grams a month. originally, the state would've had a monopoly on the production for pharmacies, but they had to compromise and give out contracts to private companies - so here comes the cost: production and transportation costs, higher wages than in paraguay (i'm not sure they have a minimum wage, but i'd guess they do), the company's fixed profits and then there'd be taxes as well. as you said, producing weed is ridiculously cheap, but if you want to do it on a large scale you're going to run into more costs than illegal producers do.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

it doesn't make sense, unless legal weed means taxation and regulation like minimum wage which drives the price up. weed is stupidly cheap to produce. it's basically gardening. the biggest price increase on weed is the cost of producing and distributing a contraband product.

stoners have already solved this problem. sneaky vapes, edibles, or just get high before you go out. in colorado you can get weed candies like gummy bears and sour patch kids, which are quick and easy to pop without anyone noticing while you're out in public. i'm actually a bit worried about THC-infused cocktails because it'll cause newbies to get too hosed up and do something stupid and dangerous, which will then be blamed on weed

The cost of every agricultural commodity is the production and distribution within economies of scale. For instance, when I was reading up on the latest FAOSTAT to gauge impact of Ebola on West African agricultural export revenues, one figure that stood out is that only between 2 and 3 percent of the end-consumer purchase price for agricultural products makes its way back to the country of origin for that commodity, much less the individual grower.

The value of agricultural products comes from their consistency, their marketing, and their logistics chain. Fortunately, that 2-3% of end-consumer purchase is enough capital to transform a single-product, vertically-integrated export-plantation orientated economy into a diversified industrial and services economy so long as consistent systems for peaceful transitions of authority exist within the prevailing political orders of the plantation-based economies.

Its not the THC-cocktails you have to worry about, its the bozo hobbyist unable to provide a consistent product conforming to labeling requirements that you should worry about. Just as with other consumption products, prohibition incentivizes an increase in product potentcy while doing nothing to ensure consistent quality and labeling standards are met. What you'll be seeing in the future of the marijuana business is the movement towards regional distributorship middle-men and monopoly liscences over distribution granted in exchange for product standardization and labeling. Sure, you won't eliminate every moonshine still in the boondoggles; you also won't have folks going blind, and you'll still have liscencure and regulatory enforcement against individuals found in non-compliance.

What does that imply for the available end-product? Think of it like this: Whereas your local bootlegger would deliver a swig of 70-90% ABV, post-prohibition you'll have 3.2% Budweiser as the consumer product of choice. In weed terms, that means less "I got so loving high!!!" and more "I took one, 5 gram tab of THC and had a moderate body-buzz for approximately 45 minutes after consumption, with a 5-minute delayed onset and peak body-buzz occuring at approximately 25 minutes after consumption."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

What does that imply for the available end-product? Think of it like this: Whereas your local bootlegger would deliver a swig of 70-90% ABV, post-prohibition you'll have 3.2% Budweiser as the consumer product of choice. In weed terms, that means less "I got so loving high!!!" and more "I took one, 5 gram tab of THC and had a moderate body-buzz for approximately 45 minutes after consumption, with a 5-minute delayed onset and peak body-buzz occuring at approximately 25 minutes after consumption."

Right, but Budweiser has seen it's sales drop by half in the last decade and is now outsold by combined craft breweries. At least to me that suggests that smaller regional marijuana growers and distributers with a focus on diversity of product and a personal connection to consumers is going to be a bigger player than national, integrated brands.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

people don't think like this. when it comes to intoxicating substances, the ritual of consumption is as important as the object being consumed. especially addicts who are by definition your biggest customers

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its not the THC-cocktails you have to worry about, its the bozo hobbyist unable to provide a consistent product conforming to labeling requirements that you should worry about. Just as with other consumption products, prohibition incentivizes an increase in product potentcy while doing nothing to ensure consistent quality and labeling standards are met.

Hey when you can put any of your corporate diamond mine weed up against a "bozo hobbyist" with a General Hydroponics catalog in the hall of warriors, I'll see you there.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Hey when you can put any of your corporate diamond mine weed up against a "bozo hobbyist" with a General Hydroponics catalog in the hall of warriors, I'll see you there.

you live in the lesser of the two states to legalize weed first, right? how's that working up there out of curiosity

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Right, but Budweiser has seen it's sales drop by half in the last decade and is now outsold by combined craft breweries. At least to me that suggests that smaller regional marijuana growers and distributers with a focus on diversity of product and a personal connection to consumers is going to be a bigger player than national, integrated brands.

Yes, Budweiser has. After 5 decades of legalization, Budweiser has seen a 50% reduction in market share due to shifts in consumer audience. Before legalization, Budweiser had near-0% market share. After 5 decades of marijuana legalization, it may be that consumer trends move towards niche products within compliance of regulatory standards. Until then, the prevailing market demand is for standardization of products with effects consistent with labels and marketing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sharkie posted:

You just did it, bucko.

But seriously, I'm tired of your poo poo. Everyone is tired of your poo poo. Your parents got tired of your poo poo when they were tossing out diapers and getting up at two in the morning to silence you self-centered and blindly obdurate wailing - I'm sure it's only gone downhill for them from there. Soothing your gluttonous appetite for attention must have been hell when you were only capable of drooling and screeching, I can't imagine what it was like after they made the mistake of teaching you human speech.

But now you have a new place to poo poo and drool and babble - the Something Awful forums. You're a living abortion of the intellect, crawling across the forums leaving the slime of a half-finished education in your wake. Your brain is a squashed toad, your every post a croak which is a plea for death.

Honestly, you should abandon whatever mad pretensions make you think your utterances are worth anyone's time. Quit whatever job you've scammed your way into and become a ditch digger. Embrace the role nature has formed you for and measure out your life by the spadeful, heaping days upon months upon years of mindless animal toil on yourself until at last your wounded mind scabs over, leaving you unable to raise your face to your superiors, much less dare to speak to them. When at last you're unable to conceive of anything but servile drudgery and the comfort of a straw bed, you, and the forums, will have found peace.

:swoon:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
My Imaginary GF, what do you do when you're not making a billion posts per day in D&D?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Some unremarkable job I'm guessing. But I'm sure he'll tell you he's a black* community organizer Washington Insider with implausible levels of access.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yes, Budweiser has. After 5 decades of legalization, Budweiser has seen a 50% reduction in market share due to shifts in consumer audience. Before legalization, Budweiser had near-0% market share. After 5 decades of marijuana legalization, it may be that consumer trends move towards niche products within compliance of regulatory standards. Until then, the prevailing market demand is for standardization of products with effects consistent with labels and marketing.

Don't you think that it's a little deterministic to say that because it took one industry five decades to reach a certain market state that it'll take a similar industry the same amount of time? The market trends that have resulted in the explosive market growth for craft beers will be just at play in the marijuana industry. People have been eating food forever and it's never been under prohibition, yet a focus on high quality, diverse, locally sourced stuff has been surging in the same period that craft beer has made it's biggest gains. Of course large scale industry is going to step in where they can, and they can certainly take a large chunk of the market, but they'll be fighting against market trends brought on by demographic shifts that are working against national brands in a lot of industries.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

if tobacco keeps taking a hit in the US market you may see the big tobacco farms moving in that direction because growing crappy tobacco and processing it is more or less the same as growing lovely weed and processing it, except growing weed is a lot easier

incidentally domestic tobacco production has been moving toward the more localized model weed growers use, especially after the master settlement and the end of the federal price control program, and the increased reliance among the big manufacturers on cheaper foreign tobacco

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Don't you think that it's a little deterministic to say that because it took one industry five decades to reach a certain market state that it'll take a similar industry the same amount of time? The market trends that have resulted in the explosive market growth for craft beers will be just at play in the marijuana industry. People have been eating food forever and it's never been under prohibition, yet a focus on high quality, diverse, locally sourced stuff has been surging in the same period that craft beer has made it's biggest gains. Of course large scale industry is going to step in where they can, and they can certainly take a large chunk of the market, but they'll be fighting against market trends brought on by demographic shifts that are working against national brands in a lot of industries.

it wasn't just market trends, but years of political activism at the state level to overturn abv limits (still an ongoing fight) and ease up distribution regulations

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 29, 2014

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zakharov posted:

My Imaginary GF, what do you do when you're not making a billion posts per day in D&D?

What he'll say: "Not gonna say, but I'm important enough to know things"

What we joke: Rahm Emmanuel

Actually: Sophomore double majoring in creative writing and political science

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I just speak from the heart :yayclod:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sharkie posted:

I just speak from the heart :yayclod:

Shine on. Shine on.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

zakharov posted:

Being a paranoid schizophrenic?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ThirdPartyView posted:

Being a paranoid schizophrenic?
If he is, he's an unmedicated paranoid schizophrenic. After all, Prester John posts much, much more coherently than MIGF. Hell, Koos posts more coherently than MIGF most of the time.:v:

content: Omega Ruby is hella fun.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 29, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
lollin at coffeemuggate in middle east thread

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Jagchosis posted:

lollin at coffeemuggate in middle east thread

The Middle East thread being a perpetual shitfest that is only matched by the Israel/Palestine thread and Michael Brown thread?! :eyepop:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGLRPAs7f_I

i put my lights up today

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Just had a middle aged gay Puerto Rican man bum a cigarette from me, then kiss me on the side of the head and yell, "I'm here from new York, I love your show!" Then go away dancing with himself

Maybe I need to start a show

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
at last we have found jon stewart's account

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jagchosis posted:

you live in the lesser of the two states to legalize weed first, right? how's that working up there out of curiosity

Do you judge states by mean elevation or something

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Les pots bas.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

SedanChair posted:

i spent a summer there and it rained and rained and rained and rained.

though in reality i judge states by obesity rates

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the only good us state is the state of intoxication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5i54XNWwmc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

comes along bort posted:

they could, but it's a much smaller regular user market compared to tobacco, and the corporate leadership is much too conservative to really entertain the idea

then there's the fact weed cultivation isn't very labor intensive to begin with, and unlike tobacco cultivation isn't extremely limited geographically; in fact quite the opposite. likewise it doesn't require anywhere near the level of capital investment as tobacco production

like i said though if they ever do, it'd likely be in industrial hemp, especially as biomass fuel becomes more popular, since the wood pellet industry in particular is already running up against deforestation problems

and even then i wouldn't put money on it. the tobacco industry even today is wealthy enough that if they felt it was a sufficient money-maker they could've easily paid congress to make growing hemp (or weed) legal ages ago

but its also a lot higher margin. also the leadership wasn't too conservative to knowingly sell lung cancer, i doubt their scruples will stop weed selling when it's legal for them to do so.

the lack of labot and lack of geographic need means its exceedingly cheap for them to roll into the market once selling weed is free and clear.

hemp is poo poo for industrial uses really, it's been greatly oversold by people who really just wanted to smoke some loving weed.

comes along bort posted:

no poo poo sherlock. but unlike making cigarettes, trimming bud has almost no capital investment requirements beyond a pair of scissors and a table

if we're gonna compare weed to tobacco from a commercial standpoint, a better place to look would be the specialty leaf tobacco market, which is much smaller scale regional entities

which is why its a great market for them to get into because they can ride the slow downward trend from weed costing hundreds of bucks a pound on the market into weed costing single digits a pound on the market, extracting very high profits on the way for really quite minimal investment.

i missed weed chat earlier but yeah, big tobacco isn't going to dominate the legal weed industry unless something happens

that "something" is called "weed being nationally legal and no longer causing a risk of having your back accounts seized".

noone gives a poo poo about your artisianal regional craft weed, most people will be happy to get dirt cheap ok weed prerolled or prepackaged at the store

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

then you need to stop loving smoking so much before you post, dipshit. literally noone cares that one big name beerco dropped in sales.

craft beers did something like 20 billion in business last year. the total beer business? 250 billion.

oh boy im so sure the craft beers will overtake the market any day now!!! they're a whole 8% of the market!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nintendo Kid posted:

then you need to stop loving smoking so much before you post, dipshit. literally noone cares that one big name beerco dropped in sales.

craft beers did something like 20 billion in business last year. the total beer business? 250 billion.

oh boy im so sure the craft beers will overtake the market any day now!!! they're a whole 8% of the market!

Wow, that is a weird level of personal investment in the topic. I'm not sure were you get the idea that I smoke though.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How fun would the weed extractives business be? I think it could be lucrative to apply chromatography or something to extract out the finest weed oils.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zakharov posted:

Qualitative research, lit reviews, and fun writing/editorial work. Why do you ask?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Wow, that is a weird level of personal investment in the topic. I'm not sure were you get the idea that I smoke though.

if you're so stupid that spending 2 minutes to google something counts as personal investment to you, might i suggest you only post in byob from now on?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

the only good us state is the state of intoxication

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5i54XNWwmc

alternatively, drugachusetts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDpt9iicEow

Nintendo Kid posted:

if you're so stupid that spending 2 minutes to google something counts as personal investment to you, might i suggest you only post in byob from now on?

the most fishmech post ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Quality matters little if its inconsistent and without perception before purchase. You can have all the fancy organic local smallgrow weed you want; you'll still have PBR beating you in sales, revenues, and acquiring the ability to lobby for stricter regulations and labeling requirements at a faster rate than you could ever hope for.

Budweiser is being edged out of current market because better beers exist for same or slightly higher price, while theres now widespread access to comparable quality beers for lower prices. Budweiser has no place in the current beer market and doesn't know how to adapt.

• Locked thread