Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GenericOverusedName posted:

Once found a (blood) Slave Market underwater.

Not quite sure how that works.

Mermaids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

King Triton is tired of his daughters' poo poo, sellin' 'em into slavery.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I never got why they made Blood inaccessible to UW nations anyway.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dilution.

And fish sex.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

goatface posted:

Dilution.

And fish sex.

If a blood mage can make blood explode out of people, it can probably seperate it out of water too.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's a bit silly, because if you think about it, the power of blood magic is less in the blood itself (oh noes dilution) and more in the fact they are doing blood SACRIFICES. That's the important thing, they are sacrificing virgins to devils or whatever to gain dark unholy powers. I think the whole sacrificing people still can be done underwater, with fish-people, the meaning of the act is the same. How exactly the blood falls and drains after the fact, if spilled on the ground or spilled onto the ocean I don't think is that important.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Turin Turambar posted:

It's a bit silly, because if you think about it, the power of blood magic is less in the blood itself (oh noes dilution) and more in the fact they are doing blood SACRIFICES. That's the important thing, they are sacrificing virgins to devils or whatever to gain dark unholy powers. I think the whole sacrificing people still can be done underwater, with fish-people, the meaning of the act is the same. How exactly the blood falls and drains after the fact, if spilled on the ground or spilled onto the ocean I don't think is that important.

Clearly we need underwater-only blood magic that just summons progressively larger and larger sharks.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If demons can breathe water and swim than I am all for it but otherwise how is the demon going to swim down there with a bucket and pick up all of the blood?

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

none fell off is now online, time to get your Pretenders uploaded!

http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/219

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The best lore reason I've heard is that water represents purity, hence the spells Cleansing Water and Demon Cleansing. So you can't do blood magic when you're in it.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You can't give blood slaves scuba gear :confused:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

You can't give blood slaves scuba gear :confused:

Scuba gear? Just magick some gills on them. :colbert:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Speleothing posted:

The best lore reason I've heard is that water represents purity, hence the spells Cleansing Water and Demon Cleansing. So you can't do blood magic when you're in it.

There is some other things backing up that idea. The whole 'vampires can't cross running water' thing means they can't go skinny dipping.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Blood slaves dont work underwater because they have to be humans. I believe its said in a few places that the power of blood magic comes from the blood of humans.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Diabl0658 posted:

Blood slaves dont work underwater because they have to be humans. I believe its said in a few places that the power of blood magic comes from the blood of humans.

Nah, in one of the nation's fluff (abyssia or hinnom) they say that the blood mages were surprised to find that human sacrifices worked as well as their race's blood slaves.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I haven't checked this thread in a while, but does anyone know if the Esubonten mod has had any updates after version .31?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Don't female fish like, lay eggs then have dude fish spurt on them? Wouldn't that mean female fishpeople are always virgins? :iiam:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Don't female fish like, lay eggs then have dude fish spurt on them? Wouldn't that mean female fishpeople are always virgins? :iiam:

Nah all that semen in the water probably despoils everybodys purity. Ocean's a hot semen cauldron.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was thinking in a gimmick strategy. Have anyone tried using the distributed self-buffing side effect of communions to selfbuff a big score of thugs (with astral or blood 1) and then attack with them?

Looking at the inspector, it seems the only nation who can pull it off could be LA Pangea, with their Centaur Sages. Recruit everywhere mages that only cost 90 gold and are good researchers (+2 adept), so it's justifiable to amass them, they all have Astral 1, and they have Centaur stats (hp 23, morale 13, att 11, def 17, move 3/30, 2 attacks, mr 16) so they are ok in combat (though the buffs will have to fix that Prot 3). Maybe it's viable to spend 5 gems for some armor for each one.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
That's an old dom3 thing that was apparently popular (reverse communions/linebacker communions) and not a gimmick at all, but doesn't work in dom4 because they changed the way communions work. Self-buffs only filter down to slaves, not to other masters, and slaves are paralysed while in a communion so they can't fight as thugs. Unless I've misunderstood you.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh right, they are paralysed. It's still early in the morning here and somehow I forgot that little but obvious detail. Never mind then.

nofunallowed.jpg

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I miss linebacker communions, but now that they aren't a thing I find myself using actual proper communions a lot more. So maybe it is a good thing that they're gone.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah. Reverse/linebacker was so good it was hard to want to do a normal communion.

Unfortunately losing them made a bunch of nations a lot weaker, but it's better overall.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

For those who aren't currently following it, my Nation Draft LP has finally exited stupid boring expansion phase and I'm now embroiled in a bitter war with stupid loving flying raiders and it's total poo poo and probably more fun to read about than "this turn, I killed some indies :tootzzz:". Check it out if you haven't yet, or tune back in if you stopped!

ChickenWing fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 29, 2014

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I've received more questions regarding this than I expected, so here is an updated version of my Dwarf Fortress-inspired mod, Underhome. In this version, I have made some very minor tweaks to MA Underhome: Mountain Halls, mostly playing with stats. More importantly, a rough version of EA Underhome: Mountain Kings is included as well.

EA Underhome is different in quite a few ways: most dwarven troops are expensive gold-wise, so to give a boost the capital provides some extra gold to start with. EA dwarves have a base protection of 4 as opposed to MA's 2, but they don't have access to heavy armor. The defining characteristic of EA Underhome, I would say, is that it has a wide variety of terrain-specific troops. Unique troops are available for recruitment in mountains, caves, forests, swamps, and wastes, in addition to capital-only recruits. Some examples include Storm Kings and Gryphon Knights in the mountains, Dwarven Rangers and Shifters in the forest, and Magma-born and Flameslingers in wastes. This nation is not terribly closely linked to Dwarf Fortress as a game, that's more in MA Underhome: Mountain Halls.

I'm planning some revamps to these nations using Event Modding tools later, but EA Underhome was largely finished when the event modding tools were released, and after having lost a week of time to my motherboard frying I decided to push for a release with its current iteration for testing. But the event modding tools have given me some ideas that I can work with, so we'll see how things turn out. In the meantime though, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
gently caress yes, dwarves. I will definitely be trying this out

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Who the gently caress wants some goddamn LAZULUM GRAFFS? Yeah I know you do.

First; A state of the map!

Now; Graffs!

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Whats it like having the huge gem site discovery bonus? I got knocked out by Agartha early on (and weirdly enough dont even show up as having been in the game on brainwrinkle?????) so i didnt get to see much of the gem usage.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Magil Zeal posted:

I've received more questions regarding this than I expected, so here is an updated version of my Dwarf Fortress-inspired mod, Underhome. In this version, I have made some very minor tweaks to MA Underhome: Mountain Halls, mostly playing with stats. More importantly, a rough version of EA Underhome: Mountain Kings is included as well.

EA Underhome is different in quite a few ways: most dwarven troops are expensive gold-wise, so to give a boost the capital provides some extra gold to start with. EA dwarves have a base protection of 4 as opposed to MA's 2, but they don't have access to heavy armor. The defining characteristic of EA Underhome, I would say, is that it has a wide variety of terrain-specific troops. Unique troops are available for recruitment in mountains, caves, forests, swamps, and wastes, in addition to capital-only recruits. Some examples include Storm Kings and Gryphon Knights in the mountains, Dwarven Rangers and Shifters in the forest, and Magma-born and Flameslingers in wastes. This nation is not terribly closely linked to Dwarf Fortress as a game, that's more in MA Underhome: Mountain Halls.

I'm planning some revamps to these nations using Event Modding tools later, but EA Underhome was largely finished when the event modding tools were released, and after having lost a week of time to my motherboard frying I decided to push for a release with its current iteration for testing. But the event modding tools have given me some ideas that I can work with, so we'll see how things turn out. In the meantime though, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Dwarves!

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

I've received more questions regarding this than I expected, so here is an updated version of my Dwarf Fortress-inspired mod, Underhome.

This sounds cool, I'll give this a shot. :)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I booted up Pilgrim's progress earlier today to take my first turn in the game. But when I opened it, none of the flags were showing up on the nation select screen nor on the map & Pretenders screen save Vanheim. Do they only show up on the game once turns are taken (Vanheim was the only one to have taken a turn it said) or is there a bug in the client? It didn't work that in Dom3, so I am assuming the second.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

'none fell off' is up.

48 hours to end of first turn.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Mile'ionaha posted:

'none fell off' is up.

48 hours to end of first turn.
Sweet, my first ever proper multiplayer Dom4 game. I'm going to die!

Lipchitz
Jun 15, 2009
Verifying goondom as per instructions on brainwrinkle. Oh hi! My third post, in like, ever. Maybe I should stop lurking and become more active?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Lipchitz posted:

Verifying goondom as per instructions on brainwrinkle. Oh hi! My third post, in like, ever. Maybe I should stop lurking and become more active?

:justpost:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hanging out on IRC has been proving educational. I have discovered LA ulm with a D3B3 dormant pretender (I like the vampire queen for the theme) to start spamming vampire counts ASAP. Now my issue has moved into fine tuning my opening. I'm really no good at placing units properly or figuring out what an appropriate size for them should be. I've been massing rangers for expansion parties but I feel like maybe 60 rangers is a little overkill. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm also iffy on when to start blood hunting. Should I do it right away so I can get a count out as soon as my pretender wakes up? And should I beeline straight to construction 4 for dowsing rods with LA ulms ridiculous research, or is getting to evo 6 the only option? Also when is the correct time to start recruiting the iron priests over fortune tellers?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Hanging out on IRC has been proving educational. I have discovered LA ulm with a D3B3 dormant pretender (I like the vampire queen for the theme) to start spamming vampire counts ASAP. Now my issue has moved into fine tuning my opening. I'm really no good at placing units properly or figuring out what an appropriate size for them should be. I've been massing rangers for expansion parties but I feel like maybe 60 rangers is a little overkill. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm also iffy on when to start blood hunting. Should I do it right away so I can get a count out as soon as my pretender wakes up? And should I beeline straight to construction 4 for dowsing rods with LA ulms ridiculous research, or is getting to evo 6 the only option? Also when is the correct time to start recruiting the iron priests over fortune tellers?

Fortune Tellers are cap only, so recruit them all the time unless you need a ghoul commander for undead leadership. Recruit Black Priests from your other forts, especially once you have Iron Blizzard researched. Good luck not dying in year 1 if you rush construction, you need something to win an early war.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Get evo2 for Solar Rays because your nonfort mages can spam the poo poo out of it and its pretty cool imo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, evo research up to and including 7 can can work really well for LA Ulm. A lot of their Fortune Tellers can cast Nether Darts, which is an evil, evil spell. Evo 6 gets you the almighty Iron Blizzard, 5 has Stellar Cascades (good loving luck to anyone trying to raid your research once you get that going) and Shadow Blast. Evo 7 can also let you set Rain of Stones traps if you get creative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I tried to zoom out to give a better impression of how many loving skeletons there are here but the point is there are a lot of loving skeletons and I can't even fit them all on screen

• Locked thread