Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AnonSpore posted:

Lately I've been playing "pick up everything even if it's bad" runs instead of passing by items that'd hurt my build.

My reflection + tiny planet + eve's mascara is a loving painful combo.

I'm doing this with Eden and already have Thunder Thighs + Soy Milk :getin:

I assume you've got to buy out the devil room too, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Please stop giving me health ups as the Lost game, thanks in advance.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
Is anyone else finding angel rooms really poo poo? It seems like the chance of them having soul hearts or eternal hearts is really high. I very rarely get something decent out of them. Getting three soul hearts when I already had maxed red heart containers, half of them empty, was especially annoying.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Can't find anything with Google. Last thing on the list to get is godhead. I've got the latest PC patch, I have the secret and achievement for Godhead. Just had a run where I rerolled an angel room and exhausted it's pool. No Godhead. Is there another bug with it I'm not aware of?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

AnonSpore posted:

Man you know you're in for a headache when Godhead is the easiest one to get out of those.

Transcendence will pop up eventually on the first floor secret room trick. Godhead I haven't gotten to appear despite quite a few attempts at the angel room with the D6 and bombing the angel statue to get two chances. I've had the battery with double charge and 48 hour energy pills before and still nope, not a drat thing. I think I'll get the noose first, then I don't know whether I will just start going azazel crazy going after the steven fight or if I'll just keep going at the Godhead runs. I don't know if it would be faster to try to get a goathead out of a curse room before running it or not.

edit: BAM!! Got Transcendence. Now the real obnoxiousness begins

AND STEVEN!! Easier than I thought it would be to get this one. Just ran the first floor when it was basement until the right boss came up, took three tries then it dropped.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 29, 2014

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

TheGame posted:

Ok enough grinding on The Lost, let's try an Eden run.

That's the D100 (Rerolls everything you have, every consumable in the room, and every item pedestal... so it's the D6, D4 and D20 put together)and Missing No (rerolls everything you have at the beginning of every new floor).

<20 minutes later>

:sigh: I suppose it was doomed from the start.

On a side note, does anyone know which items won't be rerolled by the D4/D100/MissingNo? 9 Lives is definitely not rerolled. The D100 didn't replace MissingNo, so that seems to be immune. Health upgrades never decrease as a result of rerolling, but I'm not sure if that's because the health upgrades don't reroll or if it's because the health stays despite Liver, Breakfast, etc. going away.

Your counter for progress towards Guppy/Lord of the Flies transformations aren't lost even if the items rerolled are.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Manatee Cannon posted:

Prefer health ups to Ipecac, though, TIA

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I got really mad and counted the number of useless items for The Lost. By my count it's 65 items that do literally nothing for him (health upgrades, Relic, Dark Bum, Razor Blade, etc) without even counting the 60-70 or so items that are just thoroughly mediocre/bad on anyone. I am going out of my mind, why do I keep playing this character.

I beat The Lamb on Hard, I just need to beat Mega Satan!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Decided to test the devil beggar and blood donation machine as the Lost. I don't what I thought was gonna happen.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

TheGame posted:

I got really mad and counted the number of useless items for The Lost. By my count it's 65 items that do literally nothing for him (health upgrades, Relic, Dark Bum, Razor Blade, etc) without even counting the 60-70 or so items that are just thoroughly mediocre/bad on anyone. I am going out of my mind, why do I keep playing this character.

I beat The Lamb on Hard, I just need to beat Mega Satan!

You do know you don't need to beat Mega Satan with the Lost though, right?

That "pick up everything" run turned into a clownfest once I found a D100, Babby's day out for Eden, the last four were ridiculously broken:

http://i.imgur.com/QtkPhv1.png - Fate + Torn Photo + Shielded Tears + Soy Milk + Thunder Thighs
http://i.imgur.com/7GnUwdj.png - Lord of the Flies, Double Shot, ???'s Only Friend, Mongo Baby, Little Haunt
http://i.imgur.com/LIcTNgf.png - Ipecac + Chocolate Milk + Polyphemus
http://i.imgur.com/spRzE5O.png - Number One + Technology or Tech 2 + Ludovico + a lot of damage
http://i.imgur.com/YGoE0MQ.png - Quad Shot + Tiny Planet + Dr. Fetus + Pyromaniac
http://i.imgur.com/TsaH2Lu.png - Quad shot again I guess (?) + Mom's Knife

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

13/f/cali posted:

Your counter for progress towards Guppy/Lord of the Flies transformations aren't lost even if the items rerolled are.

Not just the counter, if you achieve flight through either you retain that form and flight. Even if you obtained it through abuse of the reroll item, I got lord of the flies using the d4 a few times once.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Power of Pecota posted:

You do know you don't need to beat Mega Satan with the Lost though, right?

Wait, seriously?! I already beat him on Normal before realizing that I hadn't picked Hard. drat.

Then again, I guess there's not that much difference between runs that can kill The Lamb/Blue Baby and Mega Satan for The Lost. I'll be nice knowing I don't need to get Angel rooms, though.

e: ok, I cleared the Chest on Hard and unlocked Godhead. God drat. I started with double shot, got full Guppy (including Dead Cat) by Caves 1, got the thing that buffs flies... and it was still hard without Holy Mantle or orbitals. At least I never have to play The Lost again.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 29, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I had a Judas run that was pretty normal for the most part early on, finding slow down tears and double shot. Then at a point I grab chocolate milk and it was got better. Then Money is Power and a TON of money. But the real fun starts when I got to the boss rush when I got Cricket's Body. Yet the run only more silly as it got to the chest, where I find Proptosis and the game is just on permanent easy mode.

This run also got me the final 'no hit' chivo too! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCLZxyTs8r4

I pause a few times in the video (which if you want the seed it there) to look up the items for a second.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Jibo posted:

Got my fastest Hard clear including Boss Rush and The Lamb at just over 18 minutes.

7GHZ
S4HZ

Put that seed in on Hard (maybe it doesn't need to be Hard, I don't know) as Eden and you will start with Godhead, Tammy's Head and a Health Up pill. Cellar 2 Devil Room has Brimstone, just watch for the spiders on the way there.

Requoting this, after careful playtesting and analysis I have come to the conclusion that this is the Best Seed in The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
So I guess in Rebirth, if you have 12 heart containers, you can't pick up any soul- or black hearts?

That's really lovely. That just cost me a fight against Satan. That seems to me like it actively makes the game worse. Why would you make that change?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's proofing to make sure the player can't exploit the book of revelations to become basically invincible anymore, among other "you have so much health it goes off the screen" combos from the original that still exist.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Instant Grat posted:

So I guess in Rebirth, if you have 12 heart containers, you can't pick up any soul- or black hearts?

That's really lovely. That just cost me a fight against Satan. That seems to me like it actively makes the game worse. Why would you make that change?

It was supposed to be that way in the original BOI, but a glitch caused Soul Hearts to go off the screen. Edmund liked the glitch enough to let it stay in WOTL Isaac, but he decided to get rid of it in Rebirth.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 29, 2014

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

CJacobs posted:

It's proofing to make sure the player can't exploit the book of revelations to become basically invincible anymore, among other "you have so much health it goes off the screen" combos from the original that still exist.

It also means that if I have 6 heart containers that have been empty for 2-3 floors, I'm actively crippled compared to if I hadn't picked up all that dog food.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Instant Grat posted:

It also means that if I have 6 heart containers that have been empty for 2-3 floors, I'm actively crippled compared to if I hadn't picked up all that dog food.

Well, now you know for next time that having tons of standard hearts can hinder you in the long run. It's a whole new layer of gameplay that was yet unheard of until Rebirth!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Unless you have a Mitre/Book of Revelations/Relic/Satanic Bible/Dark Bum or something that's pumping you full of soul/evil hearts, you'll probably get more health drops anyway. I'd guess you benefit from heart containers up to like 8, honestly.

If you're holding on to one of those, then yeah, don't get too much health.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I figured When Life Gives You Lemons was going to be easy, but it was downright ridiculous when I got the Satanic Bible in a library on the first floor.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

Well, this is weird. I'm in Womb 1 and fought a double boss (the Gate I think?). After killing them, no path downward opened up. I thought it was being blocked by something at first, but I've combed the place and had no luck. Left the room, restarted the game, nothing.

Very strange. At least it wasn't a Lost run or something.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

TheGame posted:

Well, this is weird. I'm in Womb 1 and fought a double boss (the Gate I think?). After killing them, no path downward opened up. I thought it was being blocked by something at first, but I've combed the place and had no luck. Left the room, restarted the game, nothing.

Very strange. At least it wasn't a Lost run or something.

Happened to me. Turned out it was Womb XL and I just had to find It Lives somewhere else.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

12 is max health, you can't go over it in any way. They probably did it to make the game harder, I don't think it's a big deal personally.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Instant Grat posted:

If you think this is the worst change from the original, you clearly have not tried playing as the Lost.

e: how many Dead Cats are in the Devil Room pool? I just used the D6 on one in the curse room and it rerolled into... another Dead Cat? Are there at least two in order to increase the chance of the Lost getting it once a run?

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 29, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Logan 5 posted:

If you think this is the worst change from the original, you clearly have not tried playing as the Lost.

e: how many Dead Cats are in the Devil Room pool? I just used the D6 on one in the curse room and it rerolled into... another Dead Cat? Are there at least two in order to increase the chance of the Lost getting it once a run?

Ohshit, can you improve your Lost chances by getting 18 Lives?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

Observe Me posted:

Happened to me. Turned out it was Womb XL and I just had to find It Lives somewhere else.

Oh, that's apparently the case with my game too. I had no idea you could have discontiguous boss rooms on XL floors.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
I think that the Mom fight has gotten sped up every time I've bought the broken watch.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Ohshit, can you improve your Lost chances by getting 18 Lives?

Potentially, I think so. I seem to remember people posting screenshots with x18 near their health, what I was really asking is how dead cat works in the item pool to make it possible. Do you have to get one from a curse room and one from a devil deal because they have separate pools? Or is it theoretically possible to get it twice from a devil deal before its all breakfast, provided you luck into a floor one goat head? Or is the only way to get two from different curse rooms?

Really I was just surprised that I popped the D6 and the pedestal didnt change.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Jibo posted:

I'm pretty sure there is a 99% chance that any item you get in a red chest with Curse of the Blind is going to be the dead cat.
100% chance if you have already passed the dead cat on a deal with a devil or curse room.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, Loki's Horns + Rubber Cement coupled with high luck is like I'm playing a Binding of Isaac pinball table and I just hit the multiball. With the number of times shots ricochet I pretty much can't not hit something.

edit: Fun fact that I learned because of all my bouncy shots, Satan is programmed to go from his second to third stage when he has a sliver of health left, but not when his health actually runs out... so if you manage to exhaust the last of his health bar in one big chunk it'll skip the last part of the fight and you'll win!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 29, 2014

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

This is Azazel. He found Ludovici Technique. Enemies melted. It was boring, although the interaction with Telepathy was fun. I kept Wiggle Worm because it looked prettier.

Hookworm has an interesting interaction with Cricket's Body, as the tear fragments go flying everywhere, boosting the range possible.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Seriously, gently caress suicide king. I can't beat this goddamn challenge. I always end up killing myself. I've done all the cheevos with the lost on hard and I still can't complete this goddamn challenge. I've tried using momentum, is there any tip beside pray for brimstone/mom's knife?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Final boss spoilers... sort of... for a few seconds I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5IH9iKc5c0

Maximum :effort: achieved.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

weaaddar posted:

Seriously, gently caress suicide king. I can't beat this goddamn challenge. I always end up killing myself. I've done all the cheevos with the lost on hard and I still can't complete this goddamn challenge. I've tried using momentum, is there any tip beside pray for brimstone/mom's knife?
Get a running start when you fire the shot, if it makes contact with them regardless of the vertical level of the shot it will explode.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So is the rune of Algiz the best one? It seems to be an infinite duration Book of Shadows and I'm guessing with a Blank Card you could pretty much beat any boss without any problem.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you have the blank card abundance is the best one, because with a battery in the room you can create infinite batteries.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

Potentially, I think so. I seem to remember people posting screenshots with x18 near their health, what I was really asking is how dead cat works in the item pool to make it possible. Do you have to get one from a curse room and one from a devil deal because they have separate pools? Or is it theoretically possible to get it twice from a devil deal before its all breakfast, provided you luck into a floor one goat head? Or is the only way to get two from different curse rooms?

Really I was just surprised that I popped the D6 and the pedestal didnt change.

The one time I got 18 lives, I went into a curse room and opened up Dead Cat in the first chest, then got teleported to the Devil Room with the second chest. Inside the Devil room, he was also offering the Dead Cat. By that logic, I would assume that as long as you haven't taken the Dead Cat, you may be able to keep getting it to spawn in red chests.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Hearts having a hard maximum also makes blood banks and other forms of gambling with hearts not useless for soul heart builds. You can put those extra hearts to good use instead of just hoarding them like you used to in the original. It's one of my favorite changes from the first game.

Also, if you want fewer health drops when playing as The Lost then you should flip the game to Hard Mode. That might actually make the game easier due to how the item pools shift. I actually think that people should consider all the items that give you lives and invincibility when complaining about The Lost. There's a lot of stuff like Goat Head, Mask of Infamy, BFF + Pretty Flies, Holy Mantle, Pyromaniac, Gnawed Leaf + any orbital, etc. that can give some measure of protection. That kind of thing didn't really exist in the base game so much outside of a one or two item combinations, but there's a lot more items like that in Rebirth. The Lost is real difficult, but it's also like the thing you do after completing everything else in the game. So from a meta standpoint the character seems fairly balanced.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
How's this for a lost rebalance -

A trinket that will give you a set of collectibles when you collect a health up (say, 3 bombs, 3 keys, and 3 pennies for a permanent health point, and 1 each for a soul/black heart)