Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
As a kid, I always wondered why lightsabers didn't have cross-guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

davidspackage posted:

I feel bad. When John Boyega showed up in Stormtrooper outfit, I thought I was watching a prank trailer.

I really like the fresh faced look of new actors and characters in Star Wars. I hope the recurring characters have respectfully small roles, unlike the prequels where it was the cool robot adventures of the robots.

When I posted it on Facebook, the first comment was "We ain't found poo poo!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Asiina posted:

That light saber looks really stupid and a good way to cut your own drat hand off. Also the droid looked like it was a miniature R2D2s head bouncing on top of a soccer ball.

Everything else was pretty cool though.

Good thing these are highly trained jedi and not some idiot off the streets.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A lightsaber is a pretty dangerous, stupid weapon for anybody to use who isn't a space wizard with supernatural powers. Also I'm loving the nerd rage regarding this laser claymore.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Good thing these are highly trained jedi and not some idiot off the streets.

Yeah, but he was eating chicken wings right before he got off the ship. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aaop6e17aRs

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don't post that scrub rear end link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erLk59H86ww

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

Because unlike a real sword, when something hits the blade, it doesn't slide down toward the hilt - it gets chopped off.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Because unlike a real sword, when something hits the blade, it doesn't slide down toward the hilt - it gets chopped off.

Except another lightsaber, which just bounces off the magnetic/the Force bubble of the light "blade".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Young Freud posted:

Except another lightsaber, which just bounces off the magnetic/the Force bubble of the light "blade".
I always assumed that when light sabers are held against each other in a duel, it's the same as how swords are held together in a duel, or at least how they're held together in movies.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Whatever happens next, I already find RollerR2 adorable.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's totally Serkis.

Why is Serkis in everything now? Nothing against the guy, I generally think he's alright in most stuff (although I didn't see the most recent Apes movie). Just seems like he's made a big jump from background and/or MoCap guy to significant parts in a lot of big budget franchises.

New SW trailer was good, the Claymore-saber was nifty, looking forward to seeing Boyega tear poo poo up. That shot of the X-wings flying just above the deck across water though...:black101:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Serkis smartly leveraged his success like Warwick Davis.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Baron Bifford posted:

Probably to make them look more like katanas?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ave Azaria posted:

Probably to make them look more like katanas?

Katanas have guards, right?

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

The MSJ posted:

Katanas have guards, right?
Yeah, but smaller ones, and lightsabers are definitely closer in look to them than pirates' or knights' swords. I always figured it was part of George's Kurosawa thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ave Azaria posted:

Yeah, but smaller ones, and lightsabers are definitely closer in look to them than pirates' or knights' swords. I always figured it was part of George's Kurosawa thing.

As I learned in GBS apparently the stupid laser crossguards are actually part of OT concept art that didn't make it into the final movie (because it's stupid), so it's in actuality a naked gambit to further try and appeal to OT grognards who are going to see the movie anyway.

I gave up on Star Wars about 10 years ago, so while I'm not going to :goonsay: about how impractical the laser crossguards on the make believe laser sword are I do find it really hilarious how it totally fails to adhere to literally the only constant about Star Wars and the only reason it's lasted as long as it has--it fails to look really cool. 8 year-olds and idiots will still love it though because well, it's still a laser sword and as one of those 8 year-olds who was totally in-love with laser swords way back when it's not like I don't get that appeal.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mind the walrus posted:

As I learned in GBS apparently the stupid laser crossguards are actually part of OT concept art that didn't make it into the final movie (because it's stupid), so it's in actuality a naked gambit to further try and appeal to OT grognards who are going to see the movie anyway.

Yes its that and not because it looks "cool and dangerous"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mr.capps posted:

It can't be both?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mind the walrus posted:

It can't be both?

NO, NEVER

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

mind the walrus posted:

I gave up on Star Wars about 10 years ago, so while I'm not going to :goonsay: about how impractical the laser crossguards on the make believe laser sword are I do find it really hilarious how it totally fails to adhere to literally the only constant about Star Wars and the only reason it's lasted as long as it has--it fails to look really cool. 8 year-olds and idiots will still love it though because well, it's still a laser sword and as one of those 8 year-olds who was totally in-love with laser swords way back when it's not like I don't get that appeal.

It sounds less like you gave up and more focused you energy on hating it.

Count me in for cautiously optimistic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It sounds less like you gave up and more focused you energy on hating it.

It's not hate as much as a fatalistic curiosity about it and how stupid you'd have to be to still be on-board with the franchise without a certain level of cynical honesty about why you like it. I don't really care if you like the prequels or are only into it because you're a 12 year-old at heart and Lazer Swords R c00l, nor if you're actively articulating that you like it in spite of how dumb it is because you're too busy having a good time, but there are a lot of people who act like this is some formative GREAT WORK OF OUR TIME and as someone who used to be in that boat myself it's very amusing to watch from the outside this time around.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I liked Star Trek, I will probably like the new Star Wars, I think the crossguard thing looks goofy but the majority of Star Wars things look goofy so it seems thematically consistent at the very least.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

When the trailer for the first of the new ones came out I was hella into it, really looking forward to it. So to "warm up" I decided to watch the original trilogy and it just came to me that I didn't give a gently caress. Now I'm in this weird situation where I don't care about Star Wars and haven't seen any of the new ones, but also I have this need to tell an internet forum that I don't care about them.

I guess the morale is that if I had just cared slightly less, you wouldn't have had to read this post.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It's not hate as much as a fatalistic curiosity about it and how stupid you'd have to be to still be on-board with the franchise without a certain level of cynical honesty about why you like it. I don't really care if you like the prequels or are only into it because you're a 12 year-old at heart and Lazer Swords R c00l, nor if you're actively articulating that you like it in spite of how dumb it is because you're too busy having a good time, but there are a lot of people who act like this is some formative GREAT WORK OF OUR TIME and as someone who used to be in that boat myself it's very amusing to watch from the outside this time around.

enjoy your impractical laZeer sWordZ kids... heh heh... sure is a funny view looking down at all the plebeians who don't feel the need to justify why they enjoy something :smuggo:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The trailer left me pretty cold and I specifically didn't like the look of the lightsaber much.

It did lead to me finally getting around to watching the first Clone Wars cartoon and I'm really enjoying it so that's something.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought it looked dumb as well but it doesn't feel like a big deal

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why not try a crossguard slightly angled away from the user? Like http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GunMonkey/media/AngelSwordFinished_zps2babeca9.png.html

Or a fatter hilt like http://home.comcast.net/~ryu-kumon/forum/sword1.jpg

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Good lord, who cares

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'd rather the Emperor be able to shoot lightning bolts from his rear end instead of hands, makes much more sense that way.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MaAlA5-rZ8

Here's the trailer for the Spike Lee kickstarter film "Da Sweet Blood of Jesus".

Looks pretty on-the-nose (ha, it's Spike Lee) but intriguing as well.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Teaser for a teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_77GeNEzFQ

T-1000 tech?! WTF

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK_e4jVC6z8

Search Party (international trailer - with subtitles). It looks alright. It looks like what the premise for Hangover 2 should have been.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

teagone posted:

Rooney Mara is super pretty. Like, drat.

Yeah.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Bad.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What the gently caress is that?

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

mr.capps posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYlvatkLU0U

Schooled on the lightsaber debate.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm amazed the crossguard gets people upset when you consider how much, MUCH worse they could've pimped a lightsaber.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

davidspackage posted:

I'm amazed the crossguard gets people upset when you consider how much, MUCH worse they could've pimped a lightsaber.
"It could have been worse" is such a timid way to evaluate a film.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 4, 2014

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
I can't believe people are so hung up on this lightsaber poo poo. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it is star wars nerd fandom, but still, everyone mad at the design seems to be missing the forest for a tree branch.

The saber will be one of two things in the movie:
1. Super totally badass, wielded with deadly efficiency by the sith guy, who is so good at understanding his own loving weapon of choice that he uses the design and extra hilt section to his advantage and the dumb look doesn't loving matter. People are angry at this design like at some point in the movie sith guy is just gonna cut off his own hand by accident. It's a scripted movie, he's not going to do that poo poo, he's gonna wave it around like a loving badass cool dude and all those dumb nerds angry about it will eat it up or continue to go to bed every night wishing they had someone to hold them.

Or...

2. He actually does cut his own hand off or whatever, or has the hilt cut off by his opponent, which reveals that the lightsaber was designed purposefully with this weakness by the designers to serve the plot of the film, which means everyone is mad about something the filmmakers are already leagues ahead of us on

So either the impracicality of a lazor sword won't matter at all because the guy knows how to use his own drat weapon, or it will fail on purpose. There's no need to be angry about this poo poo, it's a space fantasy movie and people are acting like it's real life. It's a loving lazer sword, it was impractical to begin with to have a weapon like that. Lightsaber broadsword looks goddamn badass, and anyone who thinks it doesn't deserves to wallow in misguided misery over a loving fantasy lightsword while continuing to base their life around silly science fantasy movies that have a green reptile puppet that talks backwards in it

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

When it comes to something as iconic, as functional as a lightsaber, making a production design choice simply because "it looks cool" betrays everything you've build up in-universe. I say this without be a Star Wars nerd.

• Locked thread