Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

It must be peaceful living inside a Just World. Nothing ever goes wrong, there is no injustice. People who get killed clearly deserved to get killed, everyone is solely responsible for their own outcomes, the rich deserve it for being ubermensch and the poor deserve their lot for being lazy and subhuman.

If we could permanently remove one single fallacy from the collective human psyche forever, Just World is pretty high up in the list. What a vile person you are Ramirez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Political Whores posted:

Are you loving trolling or just incredibly stupid?
It's D.N. Nation

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

D.N. Nation posted:

Uh, Latuff? Your top left there? Read a thing.

Whoa, are you saying that it was the Palestinians that committed the Holocaust? We've been deluded the whole time!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I wonder how loving badly he wanted to put quotes around tragic. Ramirez is such a loving scumbag.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Al Harrington posted:

here it is your next worst cartoon winner

"Worst Cartoon by Michael P. Ramirez" would be a pretty competitive category this year. Well, most years, but this year in particular.

e: to wit:

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 29, 2014

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ha, poo poo, mea culpa for being so vague. My point w/r/t the Latuff cartoon was that things aren't always so cut and dry. Though in retrospect, the power of Latuff's art usually disregards that sort of thing (and that's a good thing), so, eh. Been drinking.

I stand by "Michael Ramirez is a useless human being" take, though.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

R. Mute posted:

It's D.N. Nation

no u

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

D.N. Nation posted:

I stand by "Michael Ramirez is a useless human being" take, though.

A bold stand in the face of thread orthodoxy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Plague of Hats posted:

A bold stand in the face of thread orthodoxy.

Well it IS pretty generous to label Ramirez as a human.
Pretty sure no one that full of hate should qualify as human.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Ha, poo poo, mea culpa for being so vague. My point w/r/t the Latuff cartoon was that things aren't always so cut and dry.

What? It's pretty loving cut and dry, dude, Israel's attitude towards Palestinians is reminiscent of Nazi Germany's attitude towards Jews though obviously they haven't started running execution camps yet. The fact that A Palestinian Was A Bad Guy doesn't change that, because guess what? A loving lot of people were Bad Guys during WW2. I mean I don't think anybody credible used the fact that there was a Waffen SS regiment made up of Indians to attack India's independence struggle.

e: like I'm still struggling to put together how the existence of an anti-Semitic Palestinian who collaborated with Nazi Germany has anything to do with Latuff's cartoon.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

colonel_korn posted:

"Worst Cartoon by Michael P. Ramirez" would be a pretty competitive category this year. Well, most years, but this year in particular.

I know we're all thinking it.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

D.N. Nation posted:

Uh, Latuff? Your top left there? Read a thing.

There were zionist Jews who collaborated with the Nazis too, you know

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

BBJoey posted:

What? It's pretty loving cut and dry, dude, Israel's attitude towards Palestinians is reminiscent of Nazi Germany's attitude towards Jews though obviously they haven't started running execution camps yet. The fact that A Palestinian Was A Bad Guy doesn't change that, because guess what? A loving lot of people were Bad Guys during WW2. I mean I don't think anybody credible used the fact that there was a Waffen SS regiment made up of Indians to attack India's independence struggle.

e: like I'm still struggling to put together how the existence of an anti-Semitic Palestinian who collaborated with Nazi Germany has anything to do with Latuff's cartoon.

I agree with everything you said and rescind my post.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

colonel_korn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6W0Vuruklc&t=34m30s

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Ramirez's cartoons remind us that African American GOP outreach is basically "stop hitting yourself stop hitting yourself."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm pretty jaded when it comes to political cartoons but I actually said "oh gently caress you" at this one.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

I'm pretty jaded when it comes to political cartoons but I actually said "oh gently caress you" at this one.

Same here. I think it's the only time I've actually had an out loud reaction to one of these.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

colonel_korn posted:

I still think the original version of this is the worst, and the edit the best.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Monaghan posted:

It's weird, because I generally think of Ramirez as one of the blander cartoonists in the thread. He rarely goes for the over-the-top offensiveness of Lester or Glenn McCoy, but every now and then we get a glimpse of the blackness in his soul.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

If the GOP rebranded with Scoots as their mascot, they might just grab a few votes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

This is Ramirez at the peak of his game. This is like the Platonic ideal of modern US political cartooning. It's the Sistine Chapel to Muir's first-grade stick figures.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 29, 2014

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

It's weird, because I generally think of Ramirez as one of the blander cartoonists in the thread. He rarely goes for the over-the-top offensiveness of Lester or Glenn McCoy, but every now and then we get a glimpse of the blackness in his soul.

I sometimes feel like Ramirez gets more hate than he deserves compared to, for example, the McCoys or Asay (when he was active), but every now and then he coughs up something truly, remarkably vile, and it doesn't have the cover of cartoonishness that a McCoy or Lester have. The fact that he's fairly widely syndicated makes it that much more putrid. It isn't the quantity of horrid cartoons, it's the sudden flamboyancy of them.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SinetheGuy posted:

I sometimes feel like Ramirez gets more hate than he deserves compared to, for example, the McCoys or Asay (when he was active), but every now and then he coughs up something truly, remarkably vile, and it doesn't have the cover of cartoonishness that a McCoy or Lester have. The fact that he's fairly widely syndicated makes it that much more putrid. It isn't the quantity of horrid cartoons, it's the sudden flamboyancy of them.
That's why he's a master. Ramirez is a sniper where Lester runs around with a sawn-off shotgun firing toward every snapping twig. Ramirez doesn't always unload with truly offensive poo poo, but when he does he goes for a headshot.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 29, 2014

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
If America ever actually improves, and decides as a whole that "rights" and "equality" are things humans deserve by default, then Ramirez deserves an award for being so loving far on the wrong side of history. No, not one award, make it two.

Then again, tired, poor, huddled masses, what difference does it make.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

And this deserves a quote too:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

You ever read or see something so horrible your whole body goes numb for a bit? That happened to me just now.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Black Friday, an awesome institution that businesses should be happy to have created.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Black Friday exists due to Thanksgiving, a holiday created by the Federal government. Try harder Tinsley.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wait, I thought the point (generally speaking) of Black Friday was because Ulysses S. Grant royally hosed the price of gold, or something to that effect, and tanked the economy?

Edit: Here it is.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(1869)

the_steve fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 29, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

the_steve posted:

Wait, I thought the point (generally speaking) of Black Friday was because Ulysses S. Grant royally hosed the price of gold, or something to that effect, and tanked the economy?

No. You are confusing the great depression with I don't know what

Its called Black Friday because retail stores are usually in the red (losing money) for most of the year, until the big post thanksgiving burst of Christmas shopping puts them in the black (making money). It grew out of this management slang into a marketing thing

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Black Friday was the invention of a bored media reporting made up bullshit enough until it became true. Sort of like the whole "every rumor is true" mechanic in the planescape setting meets shark week.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
No, it was named by police officers and retail workers who had to deal with huge crowds on that day.

Interestingly, Snopes debunks the Facebook rumor that "Black Friday" refers to the day when ante-bellum Southerners would flock to slave auctions in order to stock up on help for the winter. Also, the word "picnic" does NOT refer to the practice of picking a "n*gger" to lynch.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Thanksgiving is a celebration of American Values. Black Friday is much more important, since it is a celebration of American values (20% or MORE!)

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Black Friday was the invention of a bored media reporting made up bullshit enough until it became true. Sort of like the whole "every rumor is true" mechanic in the planescape setting meets shark week.

I was curious enough to Wiki this up:

quote:

The day's name originated in Philadelphia, PA, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic that would occur on the day after Thanksgiving.[6][7] Use of the term started before 1961 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation was made: that retailers traditionally operated at a financial loss ("in the red") from January through November, and "Black Friday" indicates the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or "in the black".[6][8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_%28shopping%29

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

You know its kind of distressing how much Black Friday looks almost exactly like Dawn of the Dead, except instead of cool malls, people go to those lame "malls" where its just an open area with a lot stores and restaurants around. Places like Pittsburgh Mills, bunch of loser jagoffs, we got the OG Mall in Monroeville. :smugbert:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's no longer Black Friday, Tinsley! Better luck next year. Maybe the post-Veteran's Day hangover won't throw you off your game as much.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Good taste dead due to Obama's invention, Micheal Ramirez.

• Locked thread