Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

Unlike BG, scrolls are a limited resource in IWD. Be sure to check all the merchants' inventories for scrolls. If you have more than one Bard and/or Mage you need to plan how to allocate them. I wouldn't advise anyone to have more than two characters that learn spells from scrolls, as there might not be enough scrolls to go around to produce a diverse set of spells for each character.

Sorcerers are a little broken in IWD, since you can select all the best spells rather than relying on them to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DeathChicken posted:

I don't suppose there's a way to stuff a playable Kobold into that game is there? He'd be pretty useless, but I want to recreate Neves' crew from Castle Arcania and dammit, they need their 6 HP wonder.
One of my dreams for IWD3 was to make it all about playing the "goblinoid" races and allies: kobolds, goblins, orcs, hobgoblins, bugbears, ogres. I still think it would be a cool theme for a D&D game.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
I just beat BG2/ToB for the first time. Is ToB supposed to feel incredibly easy relative to BG2? I did pretty much every side quest in the game, so I imagine I was fairly overleveled, but basically nothing felt that difficult after dealing with the bullshit in Watcher's Keep in the middle of BG2.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
You'd normally do WK as part of ToB, so that will have influenced your impression of the difficulty curve. :v:

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Sleep of Bronze posted:

You'd normally do WK as part of ToB, so that will have influenced your impression of the difficulty curve. :v:

Also maybe it's just my impression, but I think almost everyone these days uses Ascension mod to buff up the boss fights in ToB.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I fought the final boss of Heart of Winter before doing Trials of the Luremaster, and apparently that's a point of no return. Now I'm back in Kuldahar with no way to go to Lonelywood again. Both my saves were made after triggering the point of no return. Am I just screwed out? :(

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Zilkin posted:

Also maybe it's just my impression, but I think almost everyone these days uses Ascension mod to buff up the boss fights in ToB.

I wish someone would modernise it. It's got all sorts of install caveats to try to make it work properly with present day mods, and so I daren't put it back in my install because it'll probably cause my huge, creaky, teetering pile to topple over and stop working entirely. I did enjoy it last time I had it in, but that was probably like five years ago.

I finally picked up my save from the last Ironman thread we did, around the second visit to Candlekeep. Pushed through almost all the rest of BG1 in a couple of hours and promptly got loving wrecked by the Iron Throne mercenaries in the Undercity. Holy poo poo, I did not remember those Arrows of Explosion. Almost glad I didn't get that far - going all the way through and dying to Sarevok at the last is kind of noble, but the mini-boss fight before him is a bit pathetic.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Pivotal Lever posted:

As far as certain scrolls being limited, I only found 2 blur scrolls, 2 haste scrolls, 1 improved invisibility, and 1 stoneskin scroll in the first playthrough I did of the base game.
You can get a 2nd Stoneskin scroll in Trials of the Luremaster. I wish I could have had more than one Improved Haste scroll, though I guess that doesn't matter as much as it can be cast on others.

fong posted:

Sorcerers are a little broken in IWD, since you can select all the best spells rather than relying on them to drop.
Plus, the way scrolls are distributed it seems that the game assumes you'll have 6 PCs at normal difficulty. If your party levels up faster than that you'll end up with your higher level spell slots empty, as you won't have found in dungeons or merchant inventories high level scrolls. A Sorcerer has no such issues.

Kajeesus posted:

I fought the final boss of Heart of Winter before doing Trials of the Luremaster, and apparently that's a point of no return. Now I'm back in Kuldahar with no way to go to Lonelywood again. Both my saves were made after triggering the point of no return. Am I just screwed out? :(
Just cheat. The Lonelywood area code is AR9100 and that of Kundahar is AR2100. Activate cheats and enter the CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("AR9100") command to go back to Lonelywood.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What are the worst of the bugs in Baldurs gate 2EE? Is it so bad it's worth not playing for a while? I have not touched it in ages. Got very frustrated with the Hexatt quest bugging out multiple times until it finally worked. I'm a little after that but hesitant to play if Beamdog are likely to make a huge update soon.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

BadAstronaut posted:

What are the worst of the bugs in Baldurs gate 2EE? Is it so bad it's worth not playing for a while? I have not touched it in ages. Got very frustrated with the Hexatt quest bugging out multiple times until it finally worked. I'm a little after that but hesitant to play if Beamdog are likely to make a huge update soon.

I'm waiting until 1.3 to try again. When is it coming? Dunno. Read these...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/36550/bg2ee-1-3-beta-final-release-question-and-answer

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34701/when-is-the-bg2ee-1-3-patch-coming-out

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BadAstronaut posted:

I played through the whole game and did not encounter any major bugs that I can remember off the top of my head, but I did not try out Hexxat because I was a good aligned party.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I had Mazzy's quest (post temple shenanigans) gently caress up on me, which, whilst not gamebreaking, is pretty drat annoying.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
The big ones are the slayer change bug, bugs with hextat questline, and bugs with raasads tob content. Along with these there's assorted other bugs but those are the three most egregious. Its still playable and I still think the pros outweigh the cons.

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
Jaheira's harper call doesn't work either.

Oh, and there's also a "minor" bug where most NPC's HAVE NO PROFICIENCIES.

I still think it's hilarious that a bug that has a huge impact on the difficulty of the game is relatively unknown next to not being able to change into the slayer more than once.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Antignition posted:

I still think it's hilarious that a bug that has a huge impact on the difficulty of the game is relatively unknown next to not being able to change into the slayer more than once.

Is this only on the Ipad? I just checked my guys and their no. attacks, thac0, and damage bonuses appear correctly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Antignition posted:

How common is the No Proficiencies bug, and can it be fixed with a reload from an earlier save? Harper Call not working is probably under reported because most people reload if someone dies anyways. As near as I can tell the slayer thing is completely ubiquitous, no one playing the game can change into the SLayer more than once. The proficiencies thing, if it was as common, would be more heard about.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No, the bug is that enemy NPCs don't have proficiencies. Fighters who don't know how to use swords at all, and suchlike. It's not even really a bug so much as an oversight, but it makes non-mages even less of a threat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kajeesus posted:

No, the bug is that enemy NPCs don't have proficiencies. Fighters who don't know how to use swords at all, and suchlike. It's not even really a bug so much as an oversight, but it makes non-mages even less of a threat.

I didn't know they had them in the first place. I assumed they just had base thac0s

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hold on, are these BGII:EE bugs on all version or just iPad?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

BadAstronaut posted:

Hold on, are these BGII:EE bugs on all version or just iPad?

The Harper's Call bug at least affected me on PC.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014
Two things that bugged me the most about BG2:EE were the plethora of gamebreaking SCS-related bugs (basically, don't play SCS with EE) and the related problem of not being able to assign most spells past level 4 to keyboard shortcuts. I love going heavy on spellcasters in my party: having your buffs, heals and offensive spells bound to hotkeys saves a LOT of time and headache, especially with difficulty mods installed. This hotkey issue was resolved in IWD:EE, I think.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
BG:EE has played nice with SCS so far... Are you saying that BG2 is broken with it? :(

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

BG:EE has played nice with SCS so far... Are you saying that BG2 is broken with it? :(

I'm running through a game with everything enabled in SCS in BG2 and it's working perfectly.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Dyna Soar posted:

BG2 SoA was OK-ish. Had to tinker a bit with the mod because Breach wasn't working properly (made many caster fights VERY tedious and some unbeatable, like the improved beholder in the Underdark).

BG2 ToB... don't get me started. Unkillable improved Yaga-Shura, had to restart many, many times until it stopped glitching (you can't kill him there too fast, have to wait at a certain spot etc.). Unkillable improved Sendai, this one broke me finally. She was stuck at near death, with no way to end it. Googling made me see it was a common issue of EE + SCS with the only workarounds being so drat tedious (clue console, teleport yourself around and run scripts manually) that I decided it was time for me to quit given I've already beaten vanilla so many times and there were only a couple of good fights left.

Kubla Khan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 1, 2014

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Kubla Khan posted:

BG2 SoA was OK-ish. Had to tinker a bit with the mod because Breach wasn't working properly (made many caster fights VERY tedious and some unbeatable, like the improved beholder in the Underdark).

BG2 ToB... don't get me started. Unkillable improved Yaga-Shura, had to restart many, many times until it stopped glitching (you can't kill him there too fast, have to wait at a certain spot etc.). Unkillable improved Sendai, this one broke me finally. She was stuck at near death, with no way to end it. Googling made me see it was a common issue of EE + SCS with the only workarounds being so drat tedious (clue console, teleport yourself around and run scripts manually) that I decided it was time for me to quit given I've already beaten vanilla so many times and there were only a couple of good fights left.

Sucks you have the issues, but I would tell people to try it out themselves. I've had zero issues and I'm at the Ravager.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

MegaGatts posted:

Sucks you have the issues, but I would tell people to try it out themselves. I've had zero issues and I'm at the Ravager.

Tbh even without my ToB issues like not being able to play normally past Sendai, I would still go non-EE if I were to replay BG2 SCS again. Not having proper spell hotkeys for buffed SCS encounters (you know what I mean) was a major headache, not worth giving up for better resolutions and optimized loading times.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
the resolution patch for the original BG2 is easy enough to install anyway.

maybe i'll go non-EE, original bg1 is more of a hassle with tutu and everything.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Euuugh, I should not of played Icewind Dale before Baldur's Gate. The dungeons in BG1 are just awful.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

Euuugh, I should not of played Icewind Dale before Baldur's Gate. The dungeons in BG1 are just awful.

the wilderness areas are p. cool tho :)

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm playing IWD(EE version) for the first time and this game is actually pretty neat? I don't know why I never played it before.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm playing IWD(EE version) for the first time and this game is actually pretty neat? I don't know why I never played it before.

I don't doubt it, but I'm waiting for BG1:EE and BG2:EE to go on a good sale on GOG before I bite on them. BG1:EE was a buggy mess when it came out and I waited to play it. I did a run through with a Blade PC before the last patch, and it had some bugs but nothing severe. BG2:EE, on the other hand, is ridiculous and a year on Beamdog is still faffing about with a bloody patch because they were too busy cashing in on IWD:EE to fix the bloody broken game that they released over a year ago.

My righteous indignation aside, IWD:EE seems to be a much smoother release and I haven't heard anything about the severe problems that the BG games first had, so it seems a safe bet right now for a smooth and functional experience. It's not surprising given that Beamdog had 2 games worth of gently caress-ups to get better, but there's no excuse for them to be this slow in fixing their dodgy-arse products and I stand by my disdain.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
If like me you've played through Baldur's Gate far too many times, why not try making a party all of your own creation? The scattergun approach to attributes in the stock NPCs frustrate me, and in the first game you won't be losing any NPC banter because there is none. Think of it as playing Icewind Gate. Another method to create the feeling of a new gaming experience is to auto-asphyxiate while playing the game, thereby letting the lack of oxygen going to your brain recreate the feeling of wonder and confusion that accompanied your very first game of Baldur's Gate.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I've played through the base game of IWD:EE twice, and I only noticed one bug. There is a scripted event in The Severed Hand that fires even when an invisible scout with non-detection walks by. It's in one of the towers in a church sanctuary.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm still really loving mad about BG2EE going unpatched for so long when it had so many bugs. Bugs that were well known within days of it being released. Gotta get that android version of everything out and gotta get out IWD:EE instead of fixing the drat game.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
You can also download the NPCs sound files and make your own custom Imoen or Montaron or whatever.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/dl.php?s=BG&f=BG/bgnpc.zip

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Boogoose posted:

Another method to create the feeling of a new gaming experience is to auto-asphyxiate while playing the game, thereby letting the lack of oxygen going to your brain recreate the feeling of wonder and confusion that accompanied your very first game of Baldur's Gate.

This is exactly how BG modders get their inspiration.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sleep of Bronze posted:

The PHB guide is very careful about this, noting the current world record for the lift and putting only 18/00 of all the 'human' strength scores over it to let you just be that little bit more exceptional. Obviously, they weren't the best at predicting the athletic curve after the 80's though.

Who would have thought that cigarettes and cheeseburgers weren't a healthy diet.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The rumours in bars are all just flavour right? I stopped using them pretty much immediately after I started playing these games over a decade ago and I dont remember them ever being useful for anything.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I'm still trucking through Icewind Dale enhanced and hit upon something odd. My guys are just now hitting level 10 and getting garbage HP rolls. I did exploit changing the difficulty to insane for a quest turn in that got them the level so I'm wondering if that screwed with it. I normally have max hp rolls on and it was still toggled on. I'm not sure if turning it to insane caused the game to roll for random hp, if diminishing hp returns kick in after 10 or if it's an honest bug. My dwarven defender rolled 3 hp when he normally gets 17. His 19 constitution alone shouldn't allow for such a poo poo roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'm still trucking through Icewind Dale enhanced and hit upon something odd. My guys are just now hitting level 10 and getting garbage HP rolls. I did exploit changing the difficulty to insane for a quest turn in that got them the level so I'm wondering if that screwed with it. I normally have max hp rolls on and it was still toggled on. I'm not sure if turning it to insane caused the game to roll for random hp, if diminishing hp returns kick in after 10 or if it's an honest bug. My dwarven defender rolled 3 hp when he normally gets 17. His 19 constitution alone shouldn't allow for such a poo poo roll.

In 2E past a certain level you only get like 1-3 HP per level depending on class.