Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

koreban posted:

*SoB stuff*

Sisters of Battle don't get Razorbacks, they get Immolators. Similar units, but distinct. Via Forge World they also have the Repressor, which is actually really good- AV13 in the front, four Fire Points, and has a decent gun on top. It's not hard to mod a Rhino to serve as one, if your group is open to the idea. Sisters can't Combat Squad, but they are minimum squad size five now, so they can fit into the smaller transports (like Immolators.)

Death Cult and Crusaders are both very useful units, but if they're not in assault transports of some kind you're really going to struggle to ever get them to do anything. I know you said you aren't worried about competitiveness, but having your squad get shot to pieces before it gets to do anything isn't a lot of fun for anyone. Also, remember that Servitors need an Inquisitor to babysit them, otherwise they have a 50% chance of derping out. I'd suggest sitting the Conversion Beamer guy with a combined squad of Jokaero and HB Servitors if you want to go that route- it gives you some cheap ablative wounds and reasonable long-range firepower. (Psyker upgrade for Prescience might also be very useful there.)

SoB actually have a couple fun units you could take advantage of if you're willing to give them a try- Seraphim, Domininos, Exorcists, and Retributors are all very reasonable units in their own right and can be mixed in with other factions fairly easily.

In terms of general tactics, use Sisters and Inquisition to play to their respective strengths- Sisters shoot hard for pretty cheap prices, with tons of templates and S8 AP1 shots available. Inquisition brings absurdly-cheap units for either firepower or melee as well as tons of shenanigans like Rad/Psychotroke Grenades, etc. Both of them do well as mechanized armies, so look to filling in a bunch of transports for a solid game plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It sucks that I found an interesting Krieg auction on Ebay but the seller mentions that some of the models are missing arms.

Speaking of Inquisitors, Scion helmeted heads look really swanky on power armour bodies.

Go figure how I wanna paint him though.
Also I might be able to get my hands on one of the Games Day Krieg Quartermasters soon courtesy of a friend. :D

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

krushgroove posted:

Where is this located? Our Space Wolves player would love to know.

It's the section talking about Fellblades, I'll dig up a page number in a minute.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Spending some time at my folks' place for the holiday and was tired of painting scenery. So I went ahead and painted up this guy to take home to my Black Legion force. Was planning to add him to my Iron Warriors but they have too many HS options already so BL gets the nod. Turned out alright, given that I had to custom mix more colors than I normally do (I mostly paint scenery at my folks' place so there's lots of gray and brown paint colors). So have some lovely cameraphone pics:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

It sucks that I found an interesting Krieg auction on Ebay but the seller mentions that some of the models are missing arms.

Speaking of Inquisitors, Scion helmeted heads look really swanky on power armour bodies.

Go figure how I wanna paint him though.
Also I might be able to get my hands on one of the Games Day Krieg Quartermasters soon courtesy of a friend. :D
For mine, I painted him up with red power armour as if he requisitioned it from the Exorcists, practically being an Inquisitor pet chapter and all :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

For mine, I painted him up with red power armour as if he requisitioned it from the Exorcists, practically being an Inquisitor pet chapter and all :v:

Right now I'm leaning towards either red or maybe dark grey/black with gold detailing. No way I'm really wanna attempt painting white or anything like that.
Or perhaps something more brighter and outlandish.

Really anything but a Grey Knight metallic is what I wanna go for.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They seem to have forgotten to put the new pre orders up on time.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Pre orders are up now. Fly goons.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
While the description of the set says it's a "while stocks last" situation, it also says:

quote:

Both of these miniatures are currently only available in this set.
Which implies they may be available separately or in other sets later on. The Carnifex is also on a big ol' oval base now too.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That could just be them covering their own arses in case they want to sell them later. In the UK they can't claim total exclusivity and then straight up sell it again later, which is why Space Hulk has different contents. Doesn't mean that they will though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That could just be them covering their own arses in case they want to sell them later. In the UK they can't claim total exclusivity and then straight up sell it again later, which is why Space Hulk has different contents. Doesn't mean that they will though.

What are the differences between the old Space Hulk box and the new one?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Improbable Lobster posted:

What are the differences between the old Space Hulk box and the new one?

They added a few missions and a tile for boarding torpedoes.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I really want to just buy the new box set for the rulebook then flip the units on eBay. Should I?

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Arven posted:

I really want to just buy the new box set for the rulebook then flip the units on eBay. Should I?

Yes, but instead of eBay you should sell them to me.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I was tempted to buy it but I have two boxes of unassembled Death Coy, unpainted terminators and nine dreadnoughts already. I would have snapped it up if the captain was a better model or more in fitting with the BA theme. Why not have a Vanguard Jump Pack Captain? The pose is rubbish. I would rather use the Terminator Sgt. from Space Hulk as it is by far a more dynamic pose.

There is a ton of models for the money however I wonder if that will lead to saturation on eBay...

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Mantic games is having a sale, so I'm finally doing something I've been wanting to do for a while. I'm going to start an ork army, but rather than ork models, I'm going to run a combination of mantic veer myn and skaven. The veer myn will be boys and nobs, skaven as grots. I'll have to be creative for vehicles, but it seems like a fun project. Plus, veer myn are a lot cheaper than boys.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

Spending some time at my folks' place for the holiday and was tired of painting scenery. So I went ahead and painted up this guy to take home to my Black Legion force. Was planning to add him to my Iron Warriors but they have too many HS options already so BL gets the nod. Turned out alright, given that I had to custom mix more colors than I normally do (I mostly paint scenery at my folks' place so there's lots of gray and brown paint colors). So have some lovely cameraphone pics:

What is your process for painting the gold trim? It looks quite nice.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
New blood angels leaks

More pics here:
http://descansodelescriba.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/ultima-horanuevos-as-en-la-wdw-45y-smaug.html

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

What is your process for painting the gold trim? It looks quite nice.

Thanks! I usually start with a layer of Balthasar Gold. Then I go over that with a layer or two of either Auric Armor Gold or Gehenna Gold (pictured). Once that's down I use Agrax Earthshade to shade the interior of the trim and the areas around the studs. I'll do 2-3 layers of that to get the appropriate weathering/lack of shine, then I edge with Gehenna Gold and paint the cracks with that. If I want something real weathered, I'll edge with Runefang Steel.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

If that's real, then I am so down for Tactical Heavy Flamers!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can't tell if heavy flamer guy has a cool helmet or a bowl cut

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Probably a bowlcut.
The haircut of a killer :v:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Not a bowlcut. A bloodcut. OF SANGUINIUS.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
These new dudes appear to all be on the 32mm bases.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ZachAttack posted:

These new dudes appear to all be on the 32mm bases.

TBF it's not the worst thing to have the models' feet be firmly on the bases, though a better way to achieve that outcome would be to sculpt models that aren't doing spread-legged half squats.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

JerryLee posted:

TBF it's not the worst thing to have the models' feet be firmly on the bases, though a better way to achieve that outcome would be to sculpt models that aren't doing spread-legged half squats.

I don't mind the concept, I am just not looking forward to having mismatched models. I'll just have to stick the new guys on spare 25mm bases I have sitting around.

Would anyone here be interested in buying the tyranid half of the Shield of Baal set? I am thinking of picking it up for the rulebook and marines.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

Um, yeah, I'm pretty much not going to rebase multiple thousands of points of dudes. Houserule: 25mm is fine, for gently caress's sake. I'm having trouble seeing this as anything but a moneymaking byproduct of scale creep.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Monoliths posted:

Um, yeah, I'm pretty much not going to rebase multiple thousands of points of dudes. Houserule: 25mm is fine, for gently caress's sake. I'm having trouble seeing this as anything but a moneymaking byproduct of scale creep.

Isn't it already legal for models to be based as they came in previous releases? I wouldn't worry about needing to houserule it.

As far as moneymaking goes, it's not like GW is going to be making new money hand over fist given the aforementioned grandfather clause and the fact that new kits will come with the new bases. I'm sure that whatever empty suit decided to replace mycetic spores with taller not-mycetic-spores will similarly get a woody from the idea of reducing the market for 25mm resin bases, but it could also legitimately be an attempt to make the models look better on the bases while being too stubborn to realize that a more natural stance could kill two birds with one stone.

I guess if they ever release new proprietary 47mm bases for Terminators, it'll answer the question once and for all. :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Monoliths posted:

No one is going to make you rebase your dudes.

But you will anyway because you'll eventually say to yourself, "they'll look better without their toes falling off the edges, and I always wanted to do a desert/tundra/urban thing." :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be honest, I'd be totally fine with 32mm bases if it was limited to assault marines and their ilk. Those models tend to be pretty bulky and can be fairly top heavy. I'm really disappointed to see that they're pushing this new base size onto regular marines too. I have like a full company of Dark Angels and there's no way I'm about to rebase them. I might consider it for my Night Lords, but only for my raptors since I haven't painted/based them yet and they could use the extra width. I'm a crazy person and have been using the old metal jump packs on the current plastic models and fishing weights aren't always enough. :v:

There's some weird kind of :v: trifecta going on.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Thanks! I usually start with a layer of Balthasar Gold. Then I go over that with a layer or two of either Auric Armor Gold or Gehenna Gold (pictured). Once that's down I use Agrax Earthshade to shade the interior of the trim and the areas around the studs. I'll do 2-3 layers of that to get the appropriate weathering/lack of shine, then I edge with Gehenna Gold and paint the cracks with that. If I want something real weathered, I'll edge with Runefang Steel.

Please tell me Agrax Earthshade is the new Devlan Mud, I ran out years ago.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Leo Showers posted:

The new Citadel washes have proven pretty garbage in my opinion, they leave horrible tidemarks.

If you want a good Devlan Mud/Badab Black/Gryphone Sepia equivalent, the Strong/Dark/Soft Tone droppers from Army Painter are the best thing going around.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I've done a grand total of three bases I'm actually proud of (my recent inquisitor on a snow base is one of them), so I'd be fine with rebasing every one of my ultramarines onto new bases if it made them look better. Especially if I can find a cheap source of them that isn't GW. Maybe this will be the thing to push me into buying resin bases.

I pre-ordered the Shield of Baal box, but I'm not sure I want to keep the marines or the mini rulebook. Would $75 be too much to ask for the marines and mini rulebook? I think that would cover half the cost of the box plus fast shipping within the US. I could also sell them on ebay and probably make a little more, but then I'd have to deal with ebay.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leo Showers posted:

It is but it's mildly inferior.

Monoliths
Jul 7, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

But you will anyway because you'll eventually say to yourself, "they'll look better without their toes falling off the edges, and I always wanted to do a desert/tundra/urban thing." :v:

I've always thought an autumn leaves scheme would be pretty c... oh drat it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I kinda wish Assault Marines always came on 32s because 25mm is just too little for them, especially the metal ones. I played a game today with my dad and my ASMs kept tipping and tumbling all over the place. Also, I got to use bikers for the first time in my Ultramarines army and goddang are they good. I mean, the day I paint a another squad of bikes is the day I put an extra hole in my head, but they're a handy unit.

Also, that new Blood Angels tactical squad looks nice. It doesn't look extremely overblinged. I just think it's kinda redundant since the Death Company, Sanguinary Guard, and Tactical Marine boxes kitbash so nicely together. Now if they'd just release single sprue blister packs like the individual characters that are just chapter-specific shoulderpads, then they'll really have my attention!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

drgnvale posted:

I've done a grand total of three bases I'm actually proud of (my recent inquisitor on a snow base is one of them), so I'd be fine with rebasing every one of my ultramarines onto new bases if it made them look better. Especially if I can find a cheap source of them that isn't GW. Maybe this will be the thing to push me into buying resin bases.

The MDF counter/terrain/base makers will have 32mm bases available within a day or so I'm sure. I'm actually pretty curious what they're going to start putting on those small oval bases now.

And...amazingly, Shield of Baal is still available to pre-order! I think I did OK not trying to flip it on ebay, but one of the guys in my group is going to be annoyed if they don't sell out and the prices don't go anywhere (he ordered 2 but at least I'm getting the Nid stuff).

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cataphract posted:

It is but it's mildly inferior.

I have experienced the exact opposite. Devlan Mud used to pool/dry oddly, whereas whatever formula they use now dries cleanly and is easier to get into the right places. They're both good, but I prefer the current version.

I sat on ordering the Shield of Baal set until the morning and they weren't sold out already. I'm pleasantly surprised.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 29, 2014

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Cool, new BA. I am definitely going to stick with 25mm for my current armies - I am not rebasing 100+ guardsmen, and I know it's anal but it would really weird me out to have the same models parts- and gameplay-wise to be on different size bases. I hope (no way of knowing yet) that this will be a change for the more elite/bigger models only. It seems ridiculous to have guardsmen or god help us grots on 32mm bases. It is a relatively small change but adds up the difference for a squad of 31 models! WHFB already has a system where models are on 20mm and 25mm depending on the model's bulk, so I'll wait and see. Real sense of deja vu from Infinity's rebasing, where they increased a lot of models onto an (IMO) unnecessarily large and weird 55mm size.

EDITED for actual hobby stuff: I am building a scions command squad, and am really impressed by the models. When they came out and I bought the box mostly for parts, I thought they were over-ornate and silly looking. But the general silhouette and the quality/variety of bits is excellent. The only changes I am making is shaving off some of the armour trim, and slicing the cuisses (medieval style thigh guards) off the breastplates and gluing them separately to the legs, both changes to achieve a slightly less gothic look. Liking them more than my 3rd-party conversions really. I am also making plasma guns out of the hotshot lasguns and plasma pistols, but I think I am short one pistol :(

Genghis Cohen fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I am not rebasing 100+ guardsmen
Even if GW is pushing new base sizes, I think IG will stay on the smaller bases. Just one more way to differentiate them from the glorious ~Adeptus Astartes~

• Locked thread