Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Bongo Bill posted:

I just mean that it only had the one shot of him being surprised or disappointed, and then it plunged right into more utilitarian plot advancement at the same breakneck pace. What happened was obviously a huge deal for him, but because of time constraints, it wasn't given much weight.
Ah, I see what you mean. Yeah, I would've been much happier with a whole episode of Korra and Zaheer but *shrug*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
By the way, did anyone else notice that Korra didn't punch her way to saving the people captured by the vines? She actually had a thoughtful plan. CHARACTER GROWTH!

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

ETB posted:

By the way, did anyone else notice that Korra didn't punch her way to saving the people captured by the vines? She actually had a thoughtful plan. CHARACTER GROWTH!

She has honestly had far, far ,far better character growth than Aang in the series.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ep 10 preview

http://dongbufeng.tumblr.com/post/103864005673/preview-clip-from-episode-10-of-book-4-no-episode

YES! TOPH! BEIFONG rear end KICKERY! AND... Bolin.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It never ceases to amaze me how many spent neurotransmitters people use justifying ATLA's finale while simultaneously mercilessly attacking every flaw in LoK.

Audience good will is truly the most important thing in entertainment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

is the ATLA movie worth watching?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Holy gently caress no

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

enraged_camel posted:

I mean in the sense that it might make you appreciate Korra more, yeah.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RpgbZcHk_A&t=6s

rofftrax is worth watching

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

holy poo poo this is real

I've never seen the movie but holy poo poo. Just...holy poo poo. This looks more ridiculous than the loving Dragon Ball movie.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Last Airbender is the worst movie I have ever seen, and I have gone in search of bad movies. Rifftrax alone may not be enough to insulate you from it. I'm not exaggerating. Exercise extreme caution if you decide to watch it anyway.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

Rifftrax alone may not be enough to insulate you from it. I'm not exaggerating. Exercise extreme caution if you decide to watch it anyway.

Is it that bad? The only Rifftrax I watched where I felt that even the riffs couldn't overcome how horrible it was was the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Is it that bad? The only Rifftrax I watched where I felt that even the riffs couldn't overcome how horrible it was was the Star Wars Holiday Special.

You will not even be able to bring yourself to say "But the effects were decent!" as you leave the room.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

The Star Wars Holiday Special is great without rifftrax tyvm :colbert:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Watch iiiiiiiiiiit, then watch the Ember Island Players.

(I didn't even find the effects that decent anyway)

Also, Shamalama thought he'd be a cheeky enough git to get two more movies from that poo poo. Maybe even split the last book into two parts as is the industry norm these days.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Bongo Bill posted:

You will not even be able to bring yourself to say "But the effects were decent!" as you leave the room.

Yeah I just watched a "best of Rifftrax" on youtube for this out of curiosity and the effects are surprisingly lovely. Also the acting is laughable. Also also I'm pretty sure Yue is Asami, which is weird.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah I just watched a "best of Rifftrax" on youtube for this out of curiosity and the effects are surprisingly lovely. Also the acting is laughable. Also also I'm pretty sure Yue is Asami, which is weird.

Yuuuuuuuup http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2437267/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

I actually think the rifftrax experience on this one is pretty great but yeah, the movie is all kinds of terrible.

Anyway, I thought this episode was good. Nice to see Zaheer again.

Chewbacca fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 29, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

"Hey chief"

"Hey chief"

:allears:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

She has honestly had far, far ,far better character growth than Aang in the series.

Aang is a lot like Captain America where the whole point is that he doesn't need growth per se, just the confidence to hold onto what they already feel is right and avoid the temptation to do ill. Which is fine but its apples and oranges.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Aang is a lot like Captain America where the whole point is that he doesn't need growth per se, just the confidence to hold onto what they already feel is right and avoid the temptation to do ill. Which is fine but its apples and oranges.

Also the whole fish out of water values thing applies to both since they were frozen for a long time

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Raenir Salazar posted:

And like Captain America that is really, really hard not to make boring.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
If you don't watch the Avatar movie then you'll miss out on the penis hair

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Torquemadras posted:

"Hey chief"

"Hey chief"

:allears:

Well, now we know how Lin thinks of her mom :) also Bolin's reactions are completely understandable considering his character, we've known since what season 2 how big of a Toph fan he is. However I kind of hope he's learned something about stealth mode unless it would lead to a scene like this but I kind of doubt it. That and I'll be honest I hope he does stop with the loquacious and overwrought, flowery speeches

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Aces High posted:

Well, now we know how Lin thinks of her mom :) also Bolin's reactions are completely understandable considering his character, we've known since what season 2 how big of a Toph fan he is.
Season 3 actually. I'm hoping for some quality interactions between them, but I'm not sure I will get my wish.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

enraged_camel posted:

I think I got to the half-hour mark and quit, maybe sooner.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I've been wanting to do a critical review of the movie for ages. Beyond the terrible acting, rushed plot, and racebending controversy, they stripped out a lot of the cultural elements that gave the show so much depth.

I still hold a grudge against Shyamalan and Paramount for the disaster.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm still not sure why anyone thought M. Night Shyamalan was the perfect candidate to direct the Avatar movie.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

The Sharmat posted:

I'm still not sure why anyone thought M. Night Shyamalan was the perfect candidate to direct the Avatar movie.

I thought it was quite the perfect twist. Everyone thought the Avatar movie would be amazing because the TV show was brilliant. It was more horrible than they ever expected, the ultimate twist. My expectations were certainly subverted.

Considering he originates from my home town, I applaud him for the work of art that is The Last Airbender.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

The Sharmat posted:

Willing to accept the shittiest contract, probably.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Wasn't he the one who wanted the movie made?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

Everyone thought the Avatar movie would be amazing because the TV show was brilliant.

Honestly I don't see how this franchise gains anything at all from being live action. But I guess a high budget animated movie would have been predicted as a financial failure.

Good thing they dodged that bullet, huh?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

X_Toad posted:

Wasn't he the one who wanted the movie made?

His daughter was a huge fan of the series. I imagine she lost a lot of friends the day her father released that turd of a movie. I do appreciate the score in some parts, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

IIRC he's the one that convinced execs that it should be made, since he was such a huge fan of the show. And apparently the creators went over the original script draft he made and approved it.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The Star Wars Holiday Special is great without rifftrax tyvm :colbert:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Star Wars Holiday Special felt like some agonizing glimpse into the reality of purgatory to me.

hiddenriverninja posted:

His daughter was a huge fan of the series. I imagine she lost a lot of friends the day her father released that turd of a movie. I do appreciate the score in some parts, though.

Genocyber posted:

IIRC he's the one that convinced execs that it should be made, since he was such a huge fan of the show. And apparently the creators went over the original script draft he made and approved it.

This makes it all the more depressing. Maybe this is more of an example of "fans should never be in charge of something they love" rather than "M. Night Shyamalan is a hack".

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I enjoyed the Star Wars Holiday Special while totally sober. There may be something wrong with me, but whatever. I didn't watch it all the way through, though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's like three loving hours long.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Talking about the movie reminded me of this video:

http://youtu.be/KHi1zaN0ooc

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Talking about the movie reminded me of this video:

http://youtu.be/KHi1zaN0ooc

:lol:

"I should've gone and seen Twilight"

drat. I'm happy I just trusted my sister when she said the movie was awful.

• Locked thread