Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The cheat DLC isn't in Definitive Edition.

And if you have Vanilla and were just buying the DLC pack, do what CJacobs said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

drat, I didn't get into the Triad Wars beta. Really hope that game turns out well.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

drat, I didn't get into the Triad Wars beta. Really hope that game turns out well.

Beta 2 is ending this weekend, and then there's some time with the servers down (week, couple of weeks?), a reset, and they said there will be a huge amount of invites going out for Beta 3. So there's still hope!

The devs also have been doing Q&A Streams at twitch.tv/triadwars and if you ask a question in chat and they answer it, they'll send you a beta key, so that's another way to get one.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Okay thanks for the advice. I got the Definitive Edition so it seems like I don't need to worry.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

Beta 2 is ending this weekend, and then there's some time with the servers down (week, couple of weeks?), a reset, and they said there will be a huge amount of invites going out for Beta 3. So there's still hope!

The devs also have been doing Q&A Streams at twitch.tv/triadwars and if you ask a question in chat and they answer it, they'll send you a beta key, so that's another way to get one.
Anything you can really say about it or is it under a NDA?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Croccers posted:

Anything you can really say about it or is it under a NDA?

There is an NDA, but I can say that I find it pretty fun. Here's some stuff that I can share, because it is stuff they showed/talked about on their twitch stream. I'm going to try and limit it to only stuff they've shared. If you have time to sit down with it, you can see all this stuff at twitch.tv/triadwars and look at Past Broadcasts, I believe!

First off, it is a real beta, not one of those soft launch things, so the activity is pretty narrowly focused and a lot of stuff is blocked off so we play just the parts they're testing and fixing at the moment.

The combat and driving is mostly similar to Sleeping Dogs with some obvious upgrades - you incorporate different styles into your fighting, so it is a bit of a mix, grabbing some stuff that I recognize from Zodiac Tournament, and some newer stuff, along with Wei's typical stuff. When you grapple a guy with some of the pointed melee weapons like a knife, you can stab them through the foot or hand and pin them to objects. When you use arm or leg break, guys actually limp around or hold their arm (and fight appropriately) until they go down. The plan is that you can refine your style and pick and grab moves from different martial arts as you progress to define your character's style.

Guns are a lot more readily available than they are in Sleeping Dogs, but to make it so melee isn't forgotten about, if you're using a gun vs. some melee guys, they are a LOT more aggressive about running tackles and disarming you, or circling around you. You can still use a gun if you really try or have distance on them, but I usually find it easier just to match melee to melee and range to range.

The city is mostly identical to Sleeping Dogs with a LOT of new interior locations added and a lot of like alcoves and alleyways made more functional, to operate as locations and plots for your own/other players' facilities, safehouses, and so on. There's the safehouse locations, then there's spots like a shipyard assembly. Places like Night Market and Club Bam Bam and such are still accessible, and I'm guessing there will be some mission stuff in those spots because of <stuff I shouldn't talk about>. For Beta 2, only North Point was accessible to sort of control what they were testing, but the game will have the full city. Funnily enough, if you go into the HKPD undercover safehouse, Teng and Raymond are still chilling there, though they don't react to you. This'll probably be changed.

The game is mostly asynchronous, so you're not going to be punching and kicking another PC in real time. As you level up and progress, you can invest upgrades into both your enforcer (you) or your gang (your NPCs). Think of your enforcer as your offense, and your gang as your defense. When you disrupt enemy rackets/smash up their pork bun stalls/whatever, it is just you by yourself. When you raid their safehouses or warehouses, it is you + some NPCs from your gang, vs. their gang and an NPC incarnation of their enforcer/PC (so it has their outfit and stats, and uses their favored weapons).

At character creation, you pick one of three triads to be from: Sun On Yee, 18K, and Shing Wo. You know Sun On Yee and 18K from Sleeping Dogs, Sun On Yee characters look sort of like Water Street boys, 18K is working class, dockyard folks and stuff. Shing Wo is sort of the cheap suits and more Central looking aesthetic. At the moment, this only seems to effect what sort of look your gang has. But it seems to suggest it might also give you a headstart with certain rackets those triads are proficient in? The overarching Triad stuff is greyed out/blocked off, and they haven't revealed much about the larger role, but I'm guessing it becomes like factions too for some player hierarchy (they've talked about how Face rating will interact with this some but it is vague).

A note on story: in character creation, it says Sun On Yee has just resolved a major civil war, which would set the story after Sleeping Dogs, but the devs said it takes place immediately before Sleeping Dogs and that David Po would be the current Sun On Yee Dragonhead. So who knows. This is relevant because as players gain face, the devs suggested that players will depose existing Triad characters. 'If you want to be Dragonhead, you'll have to deal with Uncle Po, but we're not going to say anything else.' I think is the quote.

Character appearance isn't really implimented at the moment, they're not testing that stuff out. But there's greyed out tabs for outfits and such, and they've talked it up a bit. During the stream, I sort of pressed them for info on if there'd be an option to play as women, and they said they're hopeful but no official word yet. Really hoping for this, because it would be awesome and Broken Nose Jiang was awesome.

There is a loadout screen which lets you select from weapons you've unlocked, so you can choose what sort of weapons you start with when you log in/head back to your safehouse and then leave with. This is nice so that like you can have a knife or a pump shotgun or something without having to go hunt it down.

On that note, you can also belt/pocket pretty much all of the weapons I've seen so far. Which is nice. It always drove me crazy that Wei couldn't just like, put a knife in his pocket or something.

Your safehouses and compounds have like squares and plots of land, and you choose what businesses you build. Rackets are like production chains - you have, for example, counterfeiting which produces dirty money, which you can then pocket and spend on some stuff or feed into Hacking rackets which produce a 'Plans & Blueprints' commodity. Plans and Blueprints are used in the Sweatshop or Electronics Factory rackets, which then produce Knock-off Electronics or Knock-off Apparel, which you can then have a Night Market racket where you sell those for large amounts of money. Other rackets I've seen include like smuggled seafood, stolen cars, repo cars, Mini Bus and Food Cart rackets, so on. (We haven't seen all the rackets though).

In your compound, this manifests as actually having huge buildings filled with your gang and civilians either working in or buying stuff (like in the sweat shop or night market respectively). As you upgrade and expand parts of your operation, the buildings get more robust and larger, and being able to walk around into the third story of your electronics factory into the staff lounge or the manager's office is very cool. This is one of my favorite parts of the game so far, getting to see my compound grow and expand and filled with hustle and bustle of illegitimate business. When other players raid your compound, these are the areas they have to clear out, so they'll be tearing through your Night Market, and they'll have to climb the stairs in your electronics factory and kick down the door etc.

You can apparently recruit or hire like racket bosses or overseers to manage parts of your operation, but not in Beta 2.

Your rackets produce commodities over time as you request it, on timers that seemed like... I dunno, an hour to produce 50 units of Knock-off Electronics. When you log in or are playing, you move finished production stuff from your rackets to your warehouse. This is sort of important because if/when you get raided, if they search out and tear up your Electronics Factory, they can make off with any goods you left sitting in the queue (anything you moved to your warehouse is safe). This adds an element of timing to raids, as you can aim for people who have left stuff in their queue.

If you have commodities you don't need, or need commodities you don't have, you can buy and sell stuff on a Black Market. This is always more expensive than producing it yourself, and you always sell for a lower profit than if you for instance, sold your knock-off apparel at a Night Market.The prices on the Black Market fluctuate, but they haven't clarified how this works.

In addition to raids, there's also missions to disrupt rivals' rackets, which has the added bonus of giving you more time to get stuff done during raids (so you can hit a bunch of these missions before a raid, like doing prep work). There's also other missions and progression, though we've only gotten a look at a little bit of that.

There's some more stuff but it's already getting a bit long. If you go over to twitch.tv/triadwars, you can see most of this stuff and the devs talking about it in vods.

:words:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

On the one hand I really want a Sleeping Dogs 2 with another single player experience like that. On the other that all sounds like they should get the benefit of the doubt.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hope they add in "beat up protesters for government money" minigames.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Been playing the game and it's fun as expected. Is there anyway to disable the flashing red counter hint? It makes combat too easy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I have a buddy that hasn't played this he has a PC and a PS4... I recommended the basic version on Steam via sale, since I had heard the Definitive Edition has lots of bugs and shittiness... was that incorrect advice?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

You can't even buy the basic version anymore. It's Definitive Edition or bust. The only issues I ran into are some stuttering during some in-engine cutscenes. Not sure if it was caused by me bumping the graphics option up to high or not, but I reduced it down to medium anyway.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I have a buddy that hasn't played this he has a PC and a PS4... I recommended the basic version on Steam via sale, since I had heard the Definitive Edition has lots of bugs and shittiness... was that incorrect advice?

Definitive Edition seems great to me, the only downside is that, as the other poster mentioned, the graphical requirements for 'High' and 'Ultra' are a lot higher, but Medium Definitive Edition still looks better than maxed Regular.

I haven't encountered any bugs that weren't in the regular Sleeping Dogs, and in fact, a lot of have been fixed.

The biggest bonus to Definitive Edition is that all the DLC is a lot more gracefully integrated into the game. Well worth it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ambivalent posted:

Definitive Edition seems great to me, the only downside is that, as the other poster mentioned, the graphical requirements for 'High' and 'Ultra' are a lot higher, but Medium Definitive Edition still looks better than maxed Regular.

I haven't encountered any bugs that weren't in the regular Sleeping Dogs, and in fact, a lot of have been fixed.

The biggest bonus to Definitive Edition is that all the DLC is a lot more gracefully integrated into the game. Well worth it.

Well poo poo, I may have to upgrade.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So the camera in this game made me motion sick after minutes on PC. Even Mirror's Edge did not make me motion sick until several hours in. Does the Definitive Edition unfuck that terrible camera? It's horrendous in cars, but it's not great on foot either.

I tried that one mod, but I'm not good at tweaking it at all, and I couldn't get it to work in a way that was helpful.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Xtanstic posted:

You can't even buy the basic version anymore. It's Definitive Edition or bust.

Actually you can still get it through other online stores that sell Steam codes. Square Enix's own site has it for $6 right now as part of their cyber monday sale. http://store.na.square-enix.com/sto...D.#.VH02iTHF9S0

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Definitive Edition is a Flash Sale right now, I'm going to pick it up, been meaning to replay.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I bought Sleeping Dogs 2 years ago but bought Definitive Edition on recent Steam sale. Game play is much more enhanced and you get the feel of being in the city due to the difference in number of pedestrians and cars, and the game looks awesome. Definitely worth a grab.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Midnight Voyager posted:

So the camera in this game made me motion sick after minutes on PC. Even Mirror's Edge did not make me motion sick until several hours in. Does the Definitive Edition unfuck that terrible camera? It's horrendous in cars, but it's not great on foot either.

I tried that one mod, but I'm not good at tweaking it at all, and I couldn't get it to work in a way that was helpful.

Did you try changing the FOV at all?

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
I got this game off the Steam Sale. Mouse control is kinda laggy. Is there a fix for that or should I just use a controller?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

RickDaedalus posted:

I got this game off the Steam Sale. Mouse control is kinda laggy. Is there a fix for that or should I just use a controller?

Use a controller. I bought a 360 one mainly for this game and it made the fights a million times smoother.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

RickDaedalus posted:

I played the original (not the definitive edition) with KBM and it played just fine. Do you have Vsync turned on? That regurlarly causes mouse lag.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
This is A Good Game™. I love the little mini games they've put in, such as lock picking, hacking, plantings bugs, etc. They're simple yet they are really immersive compared to 'Press F to plant bug'. If this kind of stuff had been in Watch Dogs it would have been such a better game.

Also I had played this game about a year ago and didn't like it. Did the definitive edition change a lot to the game? I know it feels a lot more alive now, with the car and pedestrian density upped to ridiculous levels. I really like how when you leave a car it doesn't de-spawn right away, I keep running into my wrecks I left all over the place and it's a really nice change of pace to the usual GTA style 'Turn around and....IT'S GONE!'.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009

Autsj posted:

I played the original (not the definitive edition) with KBM and it played just fine. Do you have Vsync turned on? That regurlarly causes mouse lag.

That fixed my problem, thanks.

I'm having a good time so far. It's really weird, though. I'm so used to Saints Row 3/4 open world mechanics that it's kind of jarring not to instantly jump inside a car and take off immediately. Even weirder, it was an hour into the game that I realized I was obeying all traffic laws. I would wait for lights to turn green and sit in traffic. I have no idea how it was happening, but it was. I still sometimes do it if I'm not paying attention.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I find it's...easier? to drive in this game. In GTA I am constantly hitting pedestrians, ramming cars, destroying the environment but in this I can basically just get from point A to B without causing too much havoc. I even had a nice long clean drive achievement.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I find it's...easier? to drive in this game. In GTA I am constantly hitting pedestrians, ramming cars, destroying the environment but in this I can basically just get from point A to B without causing too much havoc. I even had a nice long clean drive achievement.

I might be giving both Rockstar and/or United Front too much credit but I imagine this is deliberate. Rockstar wants the player to cause chaos whereas United Front designed the game to encourage the player to make Wei not act like a psycho on innocent pedestrians (swordfish impalement on gangsters is fine though). So in Sleeping Dogs driving is very responsive and easy to control.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I can see why you'd say that. It's true that the game reminds you often enough not to cause too much chaos, and it's quite nice to have to balance the cop/triad aspect of it.

I do love to ram parking meters though, so satisfying to hear that money fall right into your pockets. Although something wierd happened to me in the beginning, I was getting some nice collectible lockboxes which give you 5-10k and got one near the temple with 50k in it. Since then I've been swimming in money and buying up entire wardrobes from stores (the owners are always so ecstatic) and I'm not sure if this is what was intended? I went from literally :10bux: to 200k in less than an hour, seems kind of fast.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I can see why you'd say that. It's true that the game reminds you often enough not to cause too much chaos, and it's quite nice to have to balance the cop/triad aspect of it.

I do love to ram parking meters though, so satisfying to hear that money fall right into your pockets. Although something wierd happened to me in the beginning, I was getting some nice collectible lockboxes which give you 5-10k and got one near the temple with 50k in it. Since then I've been swimming in money and buying up entire wardrobes from stores (the owners are always so ecstatic) and I'm not sure if this is what was intended? I went from literally :10bux: to 200k in less than an hour, seems kind of fast.

Some of the income is a bit out of whack since you also expect to buy cars, which sort of are on a way different cost scale than the cheap wardrobes. The high end expensive clothing can still eat through your budget pretty quickly though.

Also the game doesn't really have any constantly available money gain other than parking meters (which aren't really a viable way to generate large sums of cash, even if you're really good at ramming parking meters). So you need the money from the collectibles if you want to buy all the cars and all the clothes.

Also, seconding the notion that driving is much more satisfying than in GTA. I've heard Sleeping Dogs' driving criticized as 'too arcade' feeling by some folks, but GTA's driving always made it incredibly obvious that you're playing GTA and not driving in a city. Up until GTA5, I felt like it was a joke trying to even stay on the road and not plow through stuff most of the time, and even GTA5 isn't terribly stellar.

Part of it isn't just the driving, but also the city and street design. Most streets are pretty wide and allow you enough leeway to get around other cars while still progressing, and you're less likely to tag an obstacle and slam to a stop. There's only one street (the North-South route that runs parallel to the eastern dockside of Northpoint) where it gets fairly narrow, exacerbated by the fact that the route is populated largely by shipping trucks, vans, and big gas trucks. Driving on that street is frustrating, but emphasizes how the rest of the game is actually really open while at the same time making you feel like you're in a fairly densely packed city.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The Hong Kong in Sleeping Dogs is perfect for motorcycles.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

It sounds like you were benefiting from the somewhat cheaty money DLC that unceremoniously leave large sums of money around the place. If you're playing on the new definitive version, I wouldn't know how to disable it. If you owned the old game, you can fish around in your game folder and remove the following DLC files and play without breaking the pace of the game.

quote:

1E6323E1.dat Top Dog Gold Pack
576E446C.dat Top Dog Silver Pack
E58008F5.dat Red Envelope Pack
AC8D6F78.dat High Roller Pack

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
FYI, Definitive Edition runs great if you don't use max anti-aliasing. For some reason that option is a total hit. Turning that down to second-highest option and everything else at max settings, and I'm running it at a constant 60 fps at 1080p on a GTX 770 and an i7-4770k.

Delacroix posted:

If you owned the old game, you can fish around in your game folder and remove the following DLC files and play without breaking the pace of the game.

As pointed out in several different posts less than a page ago, you don't need to fish around deleting files - Steam has an option built in to disable DLC now. Definitive Edition also doesn't have the cheat DLC included.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 2, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Quote? Edit? whaaaa

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Definitive Edition also eliminates that annoying "Sit for twenty minutes mashing the A button as it shows you every single piece of DLC you just unlocked when you get an apartment" and puts all that content intelligently in the game world. So DLC costumes are moved into special shops, the DLC missions are unlocked as you progress through the story, stuff like that. Makes the game feel bigger, without making it feel all shoehorned in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Delacroix posted:

If you're playing on the new definitive version, I wouldn't know how to disable it. If you owned the old game, you can fish around in your game folder and remove the following DLC files and play without breaking the pace of the game.

It's not in the definitive edition, if you're talking about the red envelopes.

edit: did a quick google and nope I'm wrong, oh well, it's way way way (wei) too hard to rack up money the normal way in this game anyway. Most of the other cheaty DLC (free XP, free golden guns everywhere etc) is not included either way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 2, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I heard somewhere that they removed the cheat DLC in the definitive edition. What if I wanted the cheat DLC :(

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

I heard somewhere that they removed the cheat DLC in the definitive edition. What if I wanted the cheat DLC :(

The red envelope money is still in the game, but the red envelopes are tucked away and hidden in some spots in the game. You have to go find it.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Crappy Jack posted:

Definitive Edition also eliminates that annoying "Sit for twenty minutes mashing the A button as it shows you every single piece of DLC you just unlocked when you get an apartment" and puts all that content intelligently in the game world. So DLC costumes are moved into special shops, the DLC missions are unlocked as you progress through the story, stuff like that. Makes the game feel bigger, without making it feel all shoehorned in.

Those are good changes, buying the definitive edition at some point to revisit the game will be a priority. So many games on my backlog. :argh:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
It's also worth noting that you can just right click in steam and disable the stuff there.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

blackguy32 posted:

All the money cheat DLC is in the game, although they may have tweaked the amounts, possibly. The experience cheat DLC is just a boost to your XP, you can get that through normal play anyway. A man who uses the cheat DLC is not a whole man.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Crappy Jack posted:

All the money cheat DLC is in the game, although they may have tweaked the amounts, possibly. The experience cheat DLC is just a boost to your XP, you can get that through normal play anyway. A man who uses the cheat DLC is not a whole man.

But I already beat the game on PS3 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

But I already beat the game on PS3 :(

Then you know how good it is and how it will be really fun to play it again from the start :colbert:

• Locked thread