Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
God bless sound designer Ben Burtt for being a part of these movies again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Possibly Chicken posted:

Jedi can't love though lol.

Female lead and interracial romance? I can already hear the sperging.

You can see it on 4Chan, if you so desire, on every board. It's as if a million racists cried out in terror and... continued crying out in terror.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When I watched the trailer I got a boner followed by two smaller boners at the base of my dick, perpendicular to the main boner.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

spacetoaster posted:

They might not be stormtroopers. I know in the books stormtrooper armor and equipment was very valuable and was traded and collected all over the place.

OR

I'm not sure the empire was totally dead. I think one of the newer book series (outcast I believe) has the empire still around, just controlling a much smaller part of the galaxy.

Either way, I'm super stoked and can't wait to see this.

The empire is still around. Think about it this way: killing the President wouldn't destroy and mollify America, or any other country.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dystram posted:

The empire is still around. Think about it this way: killing the President wouldn't destroy and mollify America, or any other country.

Pretty much any time in history a dictator has been deposed or there's been a revolution it's been followed by civil war. People don't just go home, they try and take power.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Aliens aliens have armor plates instead of domes because they were born from marines instead of from astronauts.

but they were born from colonists not marines

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

George Lucas created Star Wars, so Star Wars fans are understandably upset. Because they don't actually like Star Wars.

I'm sorry you're so upset SMG.

quote:

but they were born from colonists not marines

The crew of the Nostromo were miners or something too.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Mahoning posted:

When I watched the trailer I got a boner followed by two smaller boners at the base of my dick, perpendicular to the main boner.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tusen Takk posted:

I'll be honest, I've read all the novels and Ill be kind of bummed if this fucks up the canon from the books. What if bendydick cumberlatch is GA Thrawn though :allears:

Idk the only reason I would be bummed is because I spent so much time reading those on international flights growing up

For as long as the EU has existed everyone involved in the films has said that the novels do not and never will effect the plot of the films. I doubt this will change, especially considering that Disney basically wiped out the canon status of the entire EU.

So no, it will not have Thrawn or the yuuzhan vong or the starcrusher or any of the other nonsense that came from the EU.

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax
The only thing that bothers me about the lightsaber is that the extra two pop on a second after the main blade, as if to say "Oh, you've seen a lightsaber before? Been done? Well I bet you've never seen one... LIKE THIS :smug:"

I also hate that there's so little interesting or new in the teaser that people are talking about a hilt

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Ave Azaria posted:

The only thing that bothers me about the lightsaber is that the extra two pop on a second after the main blade, as if to say "Oh, you've seen a lightsaber before? Been done? Well I bet you've never seen one... LIKE THIS :smug:"

Same exact thing happened for Ep. 1 with the double lightsaber. And Ep. 3 with Grievous and his four arms. People are getting super worked up over a lightsaber thing that doesn't even matter.

^^^ This makes me feel like I'm playing Rogue Squadron on N64. Perfect.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Ave Azaria posted:

I also hate that there's so little interesting or new in the teaser that people are talking about a hilt

Everything else just looks like what people expected from a Star Wars trailer. Robots and space ships and some new characters. The saber being different is the only 'noteworthy' thing about what we've seen. If they had shown us any characterization stuff, or even the original trilogy actors for a split-second, there'd be more to discuss. But they didn't so it's just weird lightsaber time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dublish posted:

^^^ This makes me feel like I'm playing Rogue Squadron on N64. Perfect.

Every time I see that, my inner six year old squeals with glee

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Caros posted:

Except that a lightsaber has an all around edge, will instantly cut through anything and will thus rip cleanly through the two inches of metal.

Frankly I do kind of hope they redesign the guard before the movie release. The worse part about it for me is the fact that it is clearly something that could be pragmatic with only a little bit of effort. For example, if you removed the top half of the cylinder on either side of the main hilt, you could have the 'guard' filling its function while keeping the same general aesthetic.
Or just have a little emitter piece come up and project the guard perpendicular close to the main blade without intersecting it. There I fixed it without magic lightsaber-proof materials or "plasma locking" or whatever bullshit

OR: like I thought originally, it's not supposed to be a functioning crossguard. It's gonna be used for a cool stabbing scene or it's a cool venting bit. Or it's just supposed to look intimidating and scary. Either way I don't see how they'd put it on there and not do something with it because the people making the movie probably aren't idiots.

edit: I hate myself for putting in the three minutes it took to make that in photoshop

Hazo fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 29, 2014

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Kelp Plankton posted:

Everything else just looks like what people expected from a Star Wars trailer. Robots and space ships and some new characters. The saber being different is the only 'noteworthy' thing about what we've seen. If they had shown us any characterization stuff, or even the original trilogy actors for a split-second, there'd be more to discuss. But they didn't so it's just weird lightsaber time.

Yeah, and I think this is a bad sign. I want the Bad Robot team to be as inventive as LucasFilm were, but their main occupation is probably just going to be re-filming the established iconography in a way that won't upset the fans.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kelp Plankton posted:

Here's something to discuss: The fantastic composition of that first shot.

Slow fade-in, long linger on a desert wasteland, while this kinda dopey old voice drones on about an "Awakening" and HOLY poo poo ITS JOHN BOYEGA, and he's in stormtrooper armor and sweaty and panicked and looking around and is that a probe droid we hear, holy poo poo. :supaburn:

It does a very good job of setting up audience expectations and then just subverting the hell out of them, all in the space of a few seconds.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Official Star Wars canon is pretty restrained when it comes to introducing new weapons and technology, so things like the crossguard lightsaber actually seems novel unlike in the EU where every real melee weapon has a lightsaber counterpart. The Clone Wars lasted six seasons and it only introduced one special lightsaber variant (the black lightsaber that resembles a blade). Two if you count that one old Jedi who hides his saber in his cane.

The same thing with the Death Star. In the movies, it's something new and scary and when the Rebels found out the Empire is making another one it actually seemed serious. In the EU there's a superweapon in every other story.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 29, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

For as long as the EU has existed everyone involved in the films has said that the novels do not and never will effect the plot of the films. I doubt this will change, especially considering that Disney basically wiped out the canon status of the entire EU.

So no, it will not have Thrawn or the yuuzhan vong or the starcrusher or any of the other nonsense that came from the EU.

:sigh: the Vong war would have been amazing to see on the big screen.

Re: claysaber; in the books when two light saber blades met they locked together because *sciency explanation involving positive and negative states of plasma or whatever*, which is why they had to pull them apart and you couldn't rub to lightsabers together like a boys out trying to light a fire with two sticks.

ANYWAYS the plasma ports make more sense than hilt guards but either way cortosis weave in the top part of the laser sword would protect the thing from getting owned and if the design of the clayber is supposed to be super old then it probably was super good against those cortosis weave vibroswords from KOTOR, which could slide up and down on a laser sword blade

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Cross-Section posted:

Slow fade-in, long linger on a desert wasteland, while this kinda dopey old voice drones on about an "Awakening" and HOLY poo poo ITS JOHN BOYEGA, and he's in stormtrooper armor and sweaty and panicked and looking around and is that a probe droid we hear, holy poo poo. :supaburn:

It does a very good job of setting up audience expectations and then just subverting the hell out of them, all in the space of a few seconds.

Seriously.

Go and watch any of the initial Prequel trilogy teasers again - actually watch them, don't rely on your memory - and come back and say that 'well, it's just more Star Wars'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYkHD9y8EqI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ncFCndCLG8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0BWpIFZGDc

Ave Azaria
Oct 4, 2010

by Lowtax

Cross-Section posted:

That was my favorite part. Something about that plunge with the Williams sting felt pure Spielberg, who should've directed a SW, dammit.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Stealing from imgur: "it's usually bigger, it's just cold outside right now"

Edit: also,

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 29, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

unlimited shrimp posted:

spergpost:

That's one of the weirdest things about Trek vs Star Wars.
Everything stagnating or not really changing makes sense in a post-scarcity universe, like Trek, but in Star Trek they're constantly inventing and innovating.
Star Wars is not a post-scarcity universe, but things change so slowly that they've been recycling the same designs and technologies for hundreds or thousands of years. The Falcon is 60 years old by the Battle of Yavin -- it'd be like taking a an M2 tank into battle against an enemy using M1 Abrams's.

Also, keep in mind that the Falcon is a freighter. Its a space truck. How many people still drive ancient pickup trucks around?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I have a gut feeling that after this movie, fans will be begging Lucas to return. This trailer was an incoherent mess. As flattered as I am the first character we get to see is a black man like me, who the hell is he and what does he do? He is established like "whoa that storm trooper is black and not white or Samoan. X wings over water, Falcon over dessert, no space chases and dubious Lightsaber effects equal a dull and disjointed teaser once the nostalgia wears off.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

gohmak posted:

I have a gut feeling that after this movie, fans will be begging Lucas to return. This trailer was an incoherent mess. As flattered as I am the first character we get to see is a black man like me, who the hell is he and what does he do? He is established like "whoa that storm trooper is black and not white or Samoan. X wings over water, Falcon over dessert, no space chases and dubious Lightsaber effects equal a dull and disjointed teaser once the nostalgia wears off.

Isn't that what a teaser is though, a bunch of disjointed things that look cool to make you want to know what the hell is going on?
Teasers are by their very nature incoherent, they're not theatricals, that's a whole different style of trailer.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

gohmak posted:

I don't think that a black Stormtrooper is played up to be a surprise or whatever you're talking about, he is the first thing in the trailer because he's the main character. Also the trailer is made up of a bunch of seemingly unconnected bits because it's very early so they aren't going to have many visual effects ready and it's a teaser not a full trailer so they aren't going to put in any extended sequences of explanations of the plot yet.

I think that the trailer does a good job of showing that they've got the Star Wars aesthetic and feel down which is the most it was really going to do.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

gohmak posted:

Maybe it will suck, that's the truth for alot of Star Wars movies already. In my mind only the original Star Wars and Empire are truly good movies, Jedi has a few cool things in it, but is alot of crap otherwise, and we tolerate it because its Star Wars, the prequels are almost entirely poo poo. Fans (hopefully!) won't be begging for Lucas to return if this movie is poo poo, but they will whine, but they will also see the movie and they will likely watch it, just as they have done with the prequels, and Disney will make a crapload of money and make a new one, its Star Wars.

I think that JJ Abrams and the people making this movie have it in them to make a good Star Wars movie, but then again it might be poo poo. Perhaps most horrifyingly it might end up a well executed but totally bland action movie with some Star Wars references in it.

e: I also hope they manage to keep it at a nice roughly 2 hour length, because I don't look forward to a 3 1/2 hour long Star Wars movie, much less one like the worst case possibility I mentioned.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Nov 29, 2014

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

gohmak posted:

I have a gut feeling that after this movie, fans will be begging Lucas to return.
Are you sure you don't have stomach cancer?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

gohmak posted:

It was an 88 second teaser trailer, were you really expecting plot details?

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
Even outside of the prequels Lucas has established he has nothing of interest to say or show, no one is going to want him back however these movies turn out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pretty sweet, but that saber design is the utter worst.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I wonder what wookipedia will look like after this movie is released since the plot of the film contradicts what happens in the novels/comics.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe it'll see a Memory Alpha/Memory Beta style split. :v:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I loathed the prequels like everyone one else but this trailer is just underwhelming for me. Go watch the first trailer for Tron Legacy or any of the prequels and come back to this.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So has the EU ever featured armor made out of lightsabers?

Or like a lightsaber gauntlet or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yaws posted:

I wonder what wookipedia will look like after this movie is released since the plot of the film contradicts what happens in the novels/comics.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe it'll see a Memory Alpha/Memory Beta style split. :v:

That split has already happened. Articles that cover EU-only things are designated Legends, and articles that span both can be toggled between just Canon and Legends view.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
That trailer... jesus christ this could be cool. It looks like JJ will pull this off! (We'll see when it comes out though)

That lightsaber shot was loving bad rear end though. I don't care what yall think, that whole scene was sick.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Roadie posted:

So has the EU ever featured armor made out of lightsabers?

Or like a lightsaber gauntlet or something.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Not just lightsabers sticking out of things, but something straight-up made out of lightsabers. Lightsaber energy. Whatever.

All "this hand of mine glows with an awesome power, its burning grip tells me to defeat you" style.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The teaser isn't incoherent at all. It's a checklist of the most familiar and fetishized Star Wars signifiers:

-Droid
-Light Saber
-Storm Trooper
-X-Wing
-Millennium Falcon
-The Force
-Dark Side
-Light Side

And the two main characters are introduced running around, looking like underdogs. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The teaser isn't incoherent at all. It's a checklist of the most familiar and fetishized Star Wars signifiers:

-Droid
-Light Saber
-Storm Trooper
-X-Wing
-Millennium Falcon
-The Force
-Dark Side
-Light Side

And the two main characters are introduced running around, looking like underdogs. That's it.

Forgot tie fighters.

• Locked thread