Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

cptn_dr posted:

Huh. That's not somewhere I thought they'd go. What's the source on that?

Well I've just been following all the leaks on sites such as makingstarwars.net - they seem to have been pretty legit so far.

Apparently 3 separate "trusted" sources spilled the beans on what goes down in the final scene, and believe me, you DO NOT want to hunt these spoilers down because if they turn out to be true, they a describe a seriously ESB-level "gently caress I did NOT see that coming!" type of film climax). One of the details that came out of these reports (and it was just a "detail" compared to the main holky-gently caress! moment) was the identity of Adam Driver's character.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

How legit are all these spoilers, has some sort of synopsis of the movie been leaked? And is there a site with all this stuff compiled?

At first wasn't that impressed by the teaser, but subsequent views I warmed up a little bit. The teaser gave too little to say one way or another. Thought the Falcon scene looked dodgy, like a well made fan animation It stood out. The screen capture looks like fan made photoshop.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Well I've just been following all the leaks on sites such as makingstarwars.net - they seem to have been pretty legit so far.

Apparently 3 separate "trusted" sources spilled the beans on what goes down in the final scene, and believe me, you DO NOT want to hunt these spoilers down because if they turn out to be true, they a describe a seriously ESB-level "gently caress I did NOT see that coming!" type of film climax). One of the details that came out of these reports (and it was just a "detail" compared to the main holky-gently caress! moment) was the identity of Adam Driver's character.

I require these alleged spoilers immmediately. Give them to me. GIVE THEM TO MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Wait, nevermind. Found 'em.

*reads alleged spoilers*

Oh my god. Ohhhhhh godddddddddddddddddddddddddd. AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGH. If that's legit, then goddamn. What a swerve that'd be.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 29, 2014

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Gonz posted:

Wait, nevermind. Found 'em.

*reads alleged spoilers*

Oh my god. Ohhhhhh godddddddddddddddddddddddddd. AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGH. If that's legit, then goddamn. What a swerve that'd be.

Yes.

Please don't post them here. I have already ruined the film for myself - everyone deserves to remain ignorant of these until they are watching the ending of the film in the cinema.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In photos, Daisy Ridley has a Summer Glau-look to her, which diverges from Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman. It'll be interesting to see whether people fall in love with her like Leia and Amidala.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yes.

Please don't post them here. I have already ruined the film for myself - everyone deserves to remain ignorant of these until they are watching the ending of the film in the cinema.

No, god no i'd never post them. Not even in spoiler tags. As I just found out, they're pretty easy to find, so if people want to find them, they can.

But fuckin' hell, man. Fuckin' hell.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

In photos, Daisy Ridley has a Summer Glau-look to her, which diverges from Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman. It'll be interesting to see whether people fall in love with her like Leia and Amidala.

Nerds are going to be dropping their yoghurt over her for the next 20 years, and I'd be interested to know how she feels about that.

Gonz posted:

No, god no i'd never post them. Not even in spoiler tags. As I just found out, they're pretty easy to find, so if people want to find them, they can.

But fuckin' hell, man. Fuckin' hell.

Yep. Makes the ending of Empire Strikes Back look like an episode of Teletubbies. Oh well, at least the film won't be coming up short in the drama stakes.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Gonz posted:

So everyone's going to be spoiled on it 6 months out at the lastest then? :smith:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

So everyone's going to be spoiled on it 6 months out at the lastest then? :smith:

I'm gonna make a strong suggestion right now that everyone avoid reading the spoilers that i'm referring to. Avoid them at all costs for the next 380+ days if possible. Take a 12 month vacation in Antarctica if need be. Because if they're real, and that's the ending of the movie, then it is imperative that all human beings should see and hear about it for the first time during the premiere of the film.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Does a moon crush Chewbacca

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

oddium posted:

Does a moon crush Chewbacca

No. It's a space station.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 29, 2014

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

PriorMarcus posted:

No, it's an even more obvious 'twist'.

Palpatine's behind it all?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

He is Adam Driver's character, who is (mega ultra super spoilers):

Han Solo's darkside-turned son

But you may be pleased to know that:

It's crazy you mention Revan because the mask he wears looks very similar to Revan's

That's pretty neat since it mirrors what happened in the EU. I read some more spoilers and the fact that they do take from the best of the EU makes me pretty happy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Please tell me that Han and Leia's force-twins are still named Jacen and Jaina and that Jacen becomes Darth Caedus still

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Does C-3PO get crushed by a moon

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Hey guys. It's been fun but before some idiot says too much I'm out... I've skipped over posts that seem to talk plot so far but I can see where this is going. Thanks for yesterday! Talk to you next December :)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Anyway, I'm in on the movie even though the JJ Abrams has made some questionable decisions before. It's a new Star Wars, let's do it:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

Anyway, I'm in on the movie even though the JJ Abrams has made some questionable decisions before. It's a new Star Wars, let's do it:

I just now notices what look like podracers in the background there :3:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjrPTCnZwB4

This is the George Lucas cut of the teaser. It owns.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

hhhat posted:

Hey guys. It's been fun but before some idiot says too much I'm out... I've skipped over posts that seem to talk plot so far but I can see where this is going. Thanks for yesterday! Talk to you next December :)

I don't blame you. I flew waaayyy too close to the sun and now I regret the poo poo out of it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

Robot Chicken is the brainchilde of Georgeous Lucas

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Tezzeract posted:

AMV Hell's back, baby, in a big way :twisted: :unsmigghh: :twisted:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

oddium posted:

Does C-3PO get crushed by a moon

I heard Threepio crushes a moon with help from Lumpawaroo and Dengar (that mummy gently caress!).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Jack2142 posted:

I want that sith guy with the broadsword lightsaber to be something out of left field from the Legacy Cannon, imagine how spergy people would be if it was like Darth Revan and he gets to have a lightsaber duel with Luke...

In actuality I liked the little bits of teaser and am looking forward to this movie

Revan should never ever be in SW film canon. The KotOR games were a lot more nuanced than the black-andwhite films, and if we ever got Revan on the big screen (which is kind of dumb to begin with since he'd be like 4,000 years old) he'd almost definitely end up being the retarded, character-assassinated mustache-twirling evil version from the MMO.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm baffled by the people who want Revan. He literally has no character for fairly obvious reasons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

massive spider posted:

I'm baffled by the people who want Revan. He literally has no character for fairly obvious reasons.

He's literally a JRPG protagonist, complete with amnesia and a tragic backstory.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

From this site

quote:

In the concept art we’ve seen of the little droid, the adventurers are going into catacombs and the little droid leads the way. It appears to be curious and adventurous. When the little droid is not leading the way, it is standing ground beside the heroes ready for a fight. My guess is this droid is Artoo-Detoo’s daughter.
lol

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's like how in Aliens Stan Winston added some detail to the Xenomorph heads so they weren't just a smooth dome. There's no plot reason for it, it was just a design flourish.

Nah.

The Alien domes have an under-skeleton (they do in Alien as well). The outer domes were in danger of breaking while shooting Aliens because the xenos had to jump around and stuff instead of just slowly glide walking and sitting there in the first movie, so Cameron just took the outer dome off and said "they've been alive longer than the one in the first movie so that's why they look like this."

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Exclamation Marx posted:

From this site

lol

Lol that's good.

Why wouldn't R2 and 3PO just be in the movie proper, like the other six movies?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

How do I find these spoilers? I did a quick Google search but sifting through all the pages, I've no idea if I've stumbled on the right stuff or not? For reference though, I'm not a particularly huge Star Wars fan and so looking up the spoilers is more to decide whether it looks like they're doing something cool with the movies or not. Could you maybe pm me a link to the spoilers?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Here's hoping the spoiler turns out to be R2D2 is a Sith Lord all this time and ends the movie brutally killing 3CPO. Then pulls out grandma Leia in her slave outfit in front of her kids horribly scarring them for life.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Organs posted:

How do I find these spoilers? I did a quick Google search but sifting through all the pages, I've no idea if I've stumbled on the right stuff or not? For reference though, I'm not a particularly huge Star Wars fan and so looking up the spoilers is more to decide whether it looks like they're doing something cool with the movies or not. Could you maybe pm me a link to the spoilers?

I kinda would like to read them as well. I have PMs if someone could send me the link.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Tusen Takk posted:

Please tell me that Han and Leia's force-twins are still named Jacen and Jaina and that Jacen becomes Darth Caedus still

So the bug rape is still canon then?

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

First time I saw the trailer I couldn't hear the music well and the first shot almost looked like a joke, the guys head popping up so fast. Now that I've seen it in HD and can hear the music it leaves a much different impression.

It is interesting how the trailer is broken up into two parts, the new (characters, music, technology) and the old (Williams' score, Falcon, Tie fighters). On rewatches I found myself only repeating the new part of the clip, and was thinking about why. I think what gets to me the most is that, despite what happened at the end of 6, our main characters and maybe even the "Rebel" alliance seemed hosed and really focused on running away/eventually fighting back.

John Boyaga? Sweaty, scared, doesn't know what's going on *insert probe droid noise(the empire is watching you)*
Droid? Zipping along, scanning for something, lots of beeping activity, if I could assign an emotion "nervous and scared"
Biker woman? Looking back, obviously scared, zooming away from the enemy.
Xwing pilot? Stern face, flips "this poo poo is for real" switch, attack formation boys.

In contrast with the good guys, we have a couple that show, yes just like in the OT, there are more stormtroopers (bad guys) then there are of you, and they got weapons that can hurt. Alongside them you have an "I don' give a gently caress" Sith walking through a hostile environment with not normal gestures and a light saber reminiscent of an ancient weapon that seems heavy and unpredictable. All topped off with an amazingly menacing and stress inducing soundtrack (I didn't think the narration was all that great)

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm happy that it looks like we are going to get dropped right in some underdog running for their life from a menace and finally fighting back, as opposed to 2 hours of exploratory crap about showing how many different technologies and wacky creatures inhabit this galaxy!

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 29, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I'm putting my money on the ship that comes into frame after the opening crawl is the Millenium Falcon being chased by those Tie Fighters. And that whole chase that we saw a few moments of is the opening scene.

I just have a feeling they're gonna want to bring in the Falcon immediately to get the nerds on board (like they'll need it).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
So what you're basically saying is more of the same old same old with scrappy rebels against an empire, an oft repeated story in cinema throughout time. I'd rather see galaxy exploration and whacky monsters with lol technology in space.

VV I'd suggest just cutting yourself off from life and living in a sensory deprivation chamber for a year and having IVs feed you.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 29, 2014

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
As a Game of Thrones fan, here's some advice to stay unspoiled if there are mega spoilers floating around:

1) Turn off all avatars and sigs
2) Avoid GBS/Reddit/Youtube comments (good advice anyway)
3) Create bookmarks to each forum to avoid seeing the FYAD title
4) Turn off PMs

That should cut down on most of your exposure to spoilers. If the twist is as big as posters here have been saying, I'm going to take every precaution to avoid them.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I can't find the spoilers and now I'm sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I saw a bunch of people saying that the teaser "felt like a joke" or somesuch. What was giving that impression, and why would there be a joke trailer released on iTunes and the official Star Wars YouTube channel?

• Locked thread