Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, like, do nerds not know what a teaser trailer is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I have a question unrelated to the teaser.

Saw someone mention in the GBS thread that SW fans hate Lucas's ex-wife. Is this true? Also why? As far as I understand she's pretty much the person most responsible for editing the original Star Wars into a movie that was not a horrible messy flop.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The teaser isn't incoherent at all. It's a checklist of the most familiar and fetishized Star Wars signifiers:

-Droid
-Light Saber
-Storm Trooper
-X-Wing
-Millennium Falcon
-The Force
-Dark Side
-Light Side

And the two main characters are introduced running around, looking like underdogs. That's it.

It's gonna be great

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I hope John Boyega is just an AWOL trooper who enlisted to get money for school and realizes how fascist the Empire is. I love non force dudes in SW like troopers and bounty hunters.

I've never seen any of his movies...what else is he in that's good?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah, I think it successfully got me excited despite how disgusting the series has been for the last 20 years.

I'm guessing we have to wait until Christmas 2015 for those juicy sweet original Blu Rays then?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Randarkman posted:

So I have a question unrelated to the teaser.

Saw someone mention in the GBS thread that SW fans hate Lucas's ex-wife. Is this true? Also why? As far as I understand she's pretty much the person most responsible for editing the original Star Wars into a movie that was not a horrible messy flop.

I've never heard that. She's usually well regarded for the reasons you mentioned.

You heard that in GBS though? That place is a dump.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Alright, time for my big huge effort-post about the teaser, now that I've had most of the day to digest it; gonna take things roughly in chronological order.

First off, I am really really tired of the "trailer trope" of a menacing voice dropping buzzword-y catchphrases. It just feels so overdone these days. I'm not going to ding the specific implementation of it here, but its a really tired formula for a teaser/trailer.

The opening fade onto Tatooine dunes was really nostalgic for me...I don't think anyone really consciously thinks of it this way, but Tatooine is one of the more iconic locations of the OT.

The first character we see (officially, not counting leaks and set photos and the like) is a black guy. How cool is that? Major blockbuster, possibly one of the most anticipated films (in the geek community) of all time, and a person of color is front and center in the first big promo push. I mean, I'm white. I'm as white as it gets and don't have a personal stake in the representation of minorities in pop culture...but drat if that's not super cool to see.

Probe droid noise seems to be straight recycled from ESB...I wonder if that's just a filler for some sound work that's not done yet, or if we'll be seeing an Empire-era probe droid in the film.

Soccerball droid is pretty cool. I don't get the complaints of him "looking at the camera and breaking the 4th wall". I mean, yeah, the droid is looking around, his line of sight passes over the camera, but its not like he looked straight at us and a little gleam representing a wink came off his sensor. I'm interested to see if this droid is at all important, or if its just a bit of light fluff on par with having the Orion girls in Star Trek '09 or whatever.

The flashy shots in the troop transport(?) are odd to me...I can't recall any previous Star Wars film using the flickery jump cuts like that. Its not bad, and its a very visually striking way to debut the new stormtrooper look, but it just really stood out to me. As for the troopers themselves, I want to see more of them in action before I judge too much, but I'm not a huge fan of the helmets. I like the guns and the rest of the armor though.

It almost looks like the troopers are getting deployed on Tatooine at night?

The lady's speeder transport is very odd. Very star wars looking , but very bizarre. My first impression is that its designed for cargo hauling. Like a bike messenger, but with something a bit larger, since why not since repulsorlifts exist.

I'm sad to see the orange flight suits go, but the new ones are alright. I like that the aurebesh says "pull to inflate". X-Wing cockpit shots are very reminiscent of the ones from the OT, the cockpits feel very real, look like well maintained, but still used, equipment.

The X-wings over the lake may be my favorite shot of the whole teaser. I notice that the one closest to the camera seems to be designated Blue (or whatever squadron) 5. A nice subtle callback to Luke's callsign at Yavin. The X-wing redesign is perfect. Its still recognizably an X-Wing, but its not the exact same as the one from however many years prior. Also, the engine noise is exactly how it should be.

The broadsword hilt saber is a bit silly, but meh, almost every Star Wars film introduces some new aspect or form of a saber, so I'll see how its used before I judge it. The guy holding it fascinates me. The motion he goes through when he ignites the saber is very...jerky. I almost want to say feral. The saber itself seems to ignite very suddenly, it has a noticeably different (but still recognizable) sound to it, and the blade is all wibbly. There were weird crystals in the Force Unleashed games that gave that effect, I wonder if this saber will have special properties, or if its just old or something.

Also, what planet is this? No planet we've ever seen in Star Wars has the single-biome of snow-forest, so I hope that means we're getting an original planet for VII. So much of the trailer is tatooine heavy, I was a little worried.

Hot drat, seeing the Falcon again does my heart good. I've missed that ship. I like the continuity of the ship having a replacement sensor dish. After watching the stabilized gif of the flight and seeing that it was just a dive and some terrain following, I'm reminded of the Family Guy joke of "That's you maneuver?? Listing to the left??" The CG camera flips really makes it so much more dynamic.

Its subtle, but the TIEs have been slightly redesigned. The wings seem blockier, with the raised ribs of the hexagon more pronounced.

Hearing the main Star Wars theme again just put the biggest smile on my face. I'm excited for Star Wars.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rough Lobster posted:

I hope John Boyega is just an AWOL trooper who enlisted to get money for school and realizes how fascist the Empire is. I love non force dudes in SW like troopers and bounty hunters.

I've never seen any of his movies...what else is he in that's good?

Let me make you a list

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zVxTeflon posted:

Let me make you a list

Ignore this poo poo. He's basically an unknown except for Attack the Block, which everyone should see.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Imperial Dreams is v. Good

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Attack the Block is horrible

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

jivjov posted:

The lady's speeder transport is very odd. Very star wars looking , but very bizarre. My first impression is that its designed for cargo hauling. Like a bike messenger, but with something a bit larger, since why not since repulsorlifts exist.
I think that speeder scene has a mistake. It has guns in the first shot and none in the second.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve2911 posted:

Ignore this poo poo. He's basically an unknown except for Attack the Block, which everyone should see.

Attack the block was loving great

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yaws posted:

I think that speeder scene has a mistake. It has guns in the first shot and none in the second.

Hi welcome to trailers where they splice scenes together to make them seem like one scene but you might be shocked to find out that they might be too separate scenes \:shobon:/

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Attack the Block is horrible

Air bud should not hate fun

I don't like it

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah, I think it successfully got me excited despite how disgusting the series has been for the last 20 years.

I'm guessing we have to wait until Christmas 2015 for those juicy sweet original Blu Rays then?

Apparently the original print was really so badly preserved that we'll never see it without the redone special effects as the effects shots of the original are unusable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
As a comparison, the first thirty seconds of the (in)famous Phantom Menace trailer depicted 'tribal' aliens emerging from the fog, a gleaming spaceship in a wasteland, and a queen in some kind of painterly Renaissance World.

Besides the desert setting, this was decidedly unfamiliar - no lightsabers or X-Wings, or anything that had really been shown before - but instantly set up the colonialism themes that would define the movie. The four shots tell a quick story of 'civilization' in conflict with 'nature'.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I thought this trailer was garbage personally.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wizard Master posted:

Slow. Clap.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's not very well-edited, for a teaser.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wizard Master posted:

It's a teaser

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

echronorian posted:

It's a teaser

Its pretty garbage for a teaser.

The opening shot isn't bad, but it goes downhill immediately.
The grumbly masculine voice itself isn't bad but the actual things it says is so :rolleye: that I already forgot it.

If you are going to reignite a tarnished franchise with THE NEW poo poo at least have some loving artistic balls and vision with your very first teaser for gently caress sake. Show us some skill, some impressive bit of minimalist narrative genius, loving something, not just a vertical slice of bullshit. It tries hard redeems itself with the bit of dogfighting Millenium Falcon at the end and tossing the Williams score at us but everything in between had little value.

That being said I'm not going to pre-judge the movie by this. Hopefully there will be better teasers and trailers down the line waiting for us.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 29, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

gohmak posted:

I have a gut feeling that after this movie, fans will be begging Lucas to return. This trailer was an incoherent mess. As flattered as I am the first character we get to see is a black man like me, who the hell is he and what does he do? He is established like "whoa that storm trooper is black and not white or Samoan. X wings over water, Falcon over dessert, no space chases and dubious Lightsaber effects equal a dull and disjointed teaser once the nostalgia wears off.

I could actually love for The Rock to be in a Star Wars movie.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Berk Berkly posted:

some impressive bit of minimalist narrative genius

lol nice.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
You're crazy. The teaser showed way more than most do. poo poo, I was expecting it'd just be Harrison Ford smirking while the star wars theme plays.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

echronorian posted:

You're crazy. The teaser showed way more than most do. poo poo, I was expecting it'd just be Harrison Ford smirking while the star wars theme plays.

The thing is, most of the meganerds in this thread would probably have been entirely satisfied with that.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It was awesome in IMAX

Sweet. I wanna see that flippy maneuver in 3d.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Mahoning posted:

When I watched the trailer I got a boner followed by two smaller boners at the base of my dick, perpendicular to the main boner.

It belongs in a museum

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I love that perfectly timed pause just before the main theme and Millennium Falcon appears, soaring into the sky.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Maxwell Lord posted:

Building on SMG's posit, I think sci-fi fans have a tendency to turn on creators. George Lucas is now history's greatest monster, Abrams is terrible, Orci and Kurtzman and Lindelof are all terrible, over in Doctor Who fandom both Russel T. Davies and Steven Moffatt are both awful hacks, etc.

On the one hand it's healthy not to idolize anyone, but I think we've discovered an opposite extreme.

There are generally two kinds of fans, especially among obsessive nerd/geek/sperg types.

Good fans consider their fandom a hobby. I mean, let's take a classic hobby, stamp collecting. If you dropped your book into a puddle and half the stamps got ruined, yeah that would be infuriating, but you could always potentially re-gather them, and it doesn't take away that you had them in the first place. Same with Star Wars. 100 years of bad films in the franchise cannot take away what you felt when you were first exposed to the universe and became a fan of it. If you were awed by that Star Destroyer flying overhead, that awe will never cease to exist. It's just existing in a different form.

Bad fans treat their fandom like a junkie treats their drug addiction. There's no happiness in it, just a need for a fix. But since the very nature of drug addiction is that you will NEVER achieve the same experience as that first high. As a result, people stop caring about it, simply wanting their fix, and just like any junkie, any perceived obstacle to the fix is regarded with great hostility.

Fandom's a lot like the Force, actually.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

Fandom's a lot like the Force, actually.
Heh, nerd

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

jivjov posted:

Also, keep in mind that the Falcon is a freighter. Its a space truck. How many people still drive ancient pickup trucks around?

Han has been working on that ship for years. he's had decades to keep making special modifications to it. The hull may be older than he is, but the engines are totally custom and brand new.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ah, the Solo's Falcon thought exercise. If Han were to change all the parts of the Falcon one by one over time, would it still be the same Falcon when they're all replaced ?? Difficult to see, the answer is

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Mahoning posted:

When I watched the trailer I got a boner followed by two smaller boners at the base of my dick, perpendicular to the main boner.

Can the rest of the thread just be this empty-quoted over and again please?

Anyway, I think I've spoilered myself over this movie more than most of the posters here - I've been following every plot spoiler and leaked image since the start - and there has been a surprising amount really. A lot of people are asking who the stormtrooper guy is - this info is many weeks old (we knew it well before the trailer):

That's John Boyega, playing one of the lead characters, and he is properly a Imperial Stormtrooper - not some guy in disguise. Early in the film poo poo is going down above Tatooine, and his ship gets shot down and crashes in the desert. Concept art shows that the crashed ship is a Tie Fighter, but I don't know why Boyega has the white outfit, rather than the black Tie pilot outfit, so there is a bit of confusion here maybe - but he is definitely there because his ship crashed.

Anyway, Daisy Ridley finds him (the girl riding the Pod Bike thingy), and helps him. She lives in a junked derelict AT-AT walker out in the desert and her living conditions set the tone for a very post-apocalyptic feel to the galaxy, which has been at war for decades.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 29, 2014

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Digging that new lightsaber effect. Seems more 'brutal' somehow.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I want that sith guy with the broadsword lightsaber to be something out of left field from the Legacy Cannon, imagine how spergy people would be if it was like Darth Revan and he gets to have a lightsaber duel with Luke...

In actuality I liked the little bits of teaser and am looking forward to this movie

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So.

I thought the first shot of the stormtrooper's head suddenly popping into frame made this trailer another fan one.

Falcon, TIEs, droids, X-Wings... Yep, that's a Star Wars. Only thing that is interesting to me is that guy with the fancy lightsaber so far.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Jack2142 posted:

I want that sith guy with the broadsword lightsaber to be something out of left field from the Legacy Cannon, imagine how spergy people would be if it was like Darth Revan and he gets to have a lightsaber duel with Luke...

In actuality I liked the little bits of teaser and am looking forward to this movie

He is Adam Driver's character, who is (mega ultra super spoilers):

Han Solo's darkside-turned son

But you may be pleased to know that:

It's crazy you mention Revan because the mask he wears looks very similar to Revan's

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 29, 2014

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Jack2142 posted:

I want that sith guy with the broadsword lightsaber to be something out of left field from the Legacy Cannon, imagine how spergy people would be if it was like Darth Revan

It's really going to be Luuuke Skywalker.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

Also, keep in mind that the Falcon is a freighter. Its a space truck. How many people still drive ancient pickup trucks around?

I have always had the idea that the Falcon is the fastest, best handling rusty old El Camino in the galaxy. The fuzzy dice hanging in the cockpit for a split second in A New Hope proves this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

He is Adam Driver's character, who is (mega ultra super spoilers):

Han Solo's darkside-turned son

Huh. That's not somewhere I thought they'd go. What's the source on that?

• Locked thread