Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

i liked the part where he talks about pizza rolls and theres the creepy stuff about his dead wife and the imprisoned hookers

but really that poo poo was funny as hell

the best part of waking up is lsd in your coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Gonna laugh when JJ connects star trek to this. "Aw poo poo, Spock don't die bro!! Wait, out of no where Han solo saves the day!!! *super bro fist*"

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

TEAYCHES posted:

star wars prequels and jj abrams star trek dont suck on the same level or in the same way

you're right, at least teh star wars prequels had ambition

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I actually like the new lightsabre. Reminiscent of some huge knight sword rather than, say, a katana. I mean they are knights after all.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
lemme know if Brienne of Tarth like, beats up a dude in this movie, all straddling up on him like, otherwise not gonna see

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

I actually like the new lightsabre. Reminiscent of some huge knight sword rather than, say, a katana. I mean they are knights after all.

This is going to be really silly but the laser part of the crossguard comes after a metal part... which could be sliced off just fine which makes it pointless. Or if the metal part of the guard is magic lightsaber resistant metal then why have part of it be laser in the first place?

I know I'm taking it way too seriously though. Movie will probably be pretty good and I'm excited for it.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

yeah im pissed about that too

def boycotting

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Ivor Biggun posted:

George divorced his wife and all the Star Wars movies after that sucked.

That's apparently the real story behind all the special editions. He wanted to change the editing enough that he wouldn't have to pay her royalties because he's a triflin' little bastard

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I came away from that trailer with no impressions whatsoever. There was a time where I hadn't seen that trailer and now there is a time where I have, and that is about all that has changed.

A movie about Star Wars is being made. Okay.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Daynab posted:

This is going to be really silly but the laser part of the crossguard comes after a metal part... which could be sliced off just fine which makes it pointless. Or if the metal part of the guard is magic lightsaber resistant metal then why have part of it be laser in the first place?

I know I'm taking it way too seriously though. Movie will probably be pretty good and I'm excited for it.

cause it's cool!! and looks like an upside down cross

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
I hope the LAAT Gunship from the prequels makes a comeback in Imperial livery. It's such a cool, heavy duty dropship design and deserves a place right up there alongside the X-Wing, Mil Falcon, etc in terms of SW ships.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i watched it op it was good

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
edit: the entire star wars 7 movie

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

THE PENETRATOR posted:

edit: the entire star wars 7 movie

how does it compare to Moon

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

psyman posted:

I hope the LAAT Gunship from the prequels makes a comeback in Imperial livery. It's such a cool, heavy duty dropship design and deserves a place right up there alongside the X-Wing, Mil Falcon, etc in terms of SW ships.

Agreed, these things were pretty awesome. In fact, Clone Troopers were the coolest part of the prequels.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Agreed, these things were pretty awesome. In fact, Clone Troopers were the coolest part of the prequels.

Makes sense since their just stormtroopers

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

(Not mine)

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Race Realists posted:

wanna pizza roll?

i dare you to name one loving thing wrong in that review. granted what he's saying wasnt exactly original:v:

Just one thing? eh.

http://thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/FILES%2f2014%2f09%2fRed-Letter-Media-Episode-I-Review-A-Study-in-Fanboy-Stupidity.pdf.axdx

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

*makes jerking off motion with hand*

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

nothing can convince me that that pdf is not the stupidest gayest thing ever written

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm jacked up big time for the new Star Wars, practically rubbing my thighs in anticipation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Viridiant posted:

I came away from that trailer with no impressions whatsoever. There was a time where I hadn't seen that trailer and now there is a time where I have, and that is about all that has changed.

A movie about Star Wars is being made. Okay.

Teaser trailer? More like dicktease trailer!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my favorite part of this has always been how he uses 'stoklaska' constantly, like he's writing some kind of official document or some poo poo

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Plinkett talks about movie "Protagonists" (annoying pronounced "Pro-toe-gone-ist").

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The Jurassic World trailer was crap but the Star Wars one was GOOD

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
The part where he talks about the ideas of the Separatists using clones and all of a sudden having this huge army and the Republic having to emergency draft citizens and it bankrupts planets trying to quickly mobilize a military to defeat them and worlds are ruined and eventually the people are ready for just anyone who will save them and the Empire forms. That sounds way cooler and better than the poo poo Lucas put out and it makes me mad it couldn't be made that way.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Plafop posted:

The part where he talks about the ideas of the Separatists using clones and all of a sudden having this huge army and the Republic having to emergency draft citizens and it bankrupts planets trying to quickly mobilize a military to defeat them and worlds are ruined and eventually the people are ready for just anyone who will save them and the Empire forms. That sounds way cooler and better than the poo poo Lucas put out and it makes me mad it couldn't be made that way.

obviously what people really wanted to see was two bad actors in a romance that made no sense reading the most awkward lines ever written in the history of cinema to one another.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Um...a main character (who happens to be black, certainly new for a black person to lead a Star Wars movie...if he is) in shock in the middle of a desert in Stormtrooper armor (probably crashed after being shot down by the Falcon), new female character with a tank-like speeder bike, a roller droid, A LIGHTNING SABER (WITH LASER HANDLE)!!!!!!! Lack of originality? The only things not new are the Falcon, X-Wings (even then redesigned), and Stormtroopers (again, redesigned). That's pretty great for 88 seconds, they still want iconic original imagery early on to get in the casual crowd.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
loved it; those new x-wings skimming the water? Epic! The acting, the sense from the few character close ups we get that there is a palpable tension, there are high stakes; great. The fleeting shots of storm troopers getting ready to disembark; also epic.

Now to the lightsaber; I think I'm in the minority here, but I really like it. Lucas talked about a lightsaber being difficulto to wield, like Excalibur, due to the energy flowing through it; I think it's obvious that this is a direct nod to that idea. Also, we don't know know yet how this factors into the story. If the rumors are true that the main baddie is obsessed with Sith relics, then this could very well be a very ancient (thousands of years old) lightsaber that he's collected, harkening back to a more "medieval" time in the Jedi/Sith struggle. It makes sense stylistically for this to be true; the side blades, presumably to prevent hands getting chopped off in close combat, and the blade itself; longer, a more frenetic, unfocused, and unrefined flicker, as if the technology were still in its relative infancy.

Give it a chance, people; this is 88 seconds of an unfinished film, not desiged to give us plot; only to excite, to let us know that we are entering simultaneously familiar and unknown territory. I'm confident JJ is getting it right.

Plafop
Oct 11, 2012

by Ralp
They're all going to be bad and they're all going to make billions of dollars and some of that money will be from me.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
i liked the part with the x-wings and tie fighters

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

a starwar betamax posted:

loved it; those new x-wings skimming the water? Epic! The acting, the sense from the few character close ups we get that there is a palpable tension, there are high stakes; great. The fleeting shots of storm troopers getting ready to disembark; also epic.

Now to the lightsaber; I think I'm in the minority here, but I really like it. Lucas talked about a lightsaber being difficulto to wield, like Excalibur, due to the energy flowing through it; I think it's obvious that this is a direct nod to that idea. Also, we don't know know yet how this factors into the story. If the rumors are true that the main baddie is obsessed with Sith relics, then this could very well be a very ancient (thousands of years old) lightsaber that he's collected, harkening back to a more "medieval" time in the Jedi/Sith struggle. It makes sense stylistically for this to be true; the side blades, presumably to prevent hands getting chopped off in close combat, and the blade itself; longer, a more frenetic, unfocused, and unrefined flicker, as if the technology were still in its relative infancy.

Give it a chance, people; this is 88 seconds of an unfinished film, not desiged to give us plot; only to excite, to let us know that we are entering simultaneously familiar and unknown territory. I'm confident JJ is getting it right.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

a starwar betamax posted:

Stormtroopers (again, redesigned).

It'd be nice if the Stormtrooper resdesigns were ever anything more than slightly cosmetic

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If it ain't broke, &c.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpfWrh1scZU&t=73s

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Naw. That light saber was hella stupid and will be the easiest way to troll adult man children into tears.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
the lightsaber was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

i pray for the end of man

• Locked thread