Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Managed to talk my LGS owner into selling me a Modern Event Deck for $50 and then took it to 3-1, 3rd place at our Modern FNM.

Beat a pretty bad UB mill deck, a cheap version of Boggles (no Coronets, no Canopies), and uG Infect. Lost to Pod.

It's definitely a good place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So if you bounce Geist with a Karakas after the attack phase you don't have to sac the angel? What an adorable combo.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

mcmagic posted:

So if you bounce Geist with a Karakas after the attack phase you don't have to sac the angel? What an adorable combo.

Yeah, the delayed trigger abilities are a bit weird that way. I guess it's for memory reasons?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mcmagic posted:

No, you still need to sacrifice the angel. The delayed trigger isn't tied to any particular permanent, it's set up as the ability that puts the angel into play resolves. It doesn't matter whether Geist itself is still on the battlefield - bouncing him is no different to him getting blocked and killed in combat.

Sundial of the Infinite works to keep the angel around though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So the official MTG merch store apparently now ships outside the US for like $15 instead of $40. But they no longer have the guild logo t-shirts in stock. :negative:

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

LordSaturn posted:

I know just the guy who needs one of these. Is that for sale on their site or did you submit that as a custom?

Custom. Linked the full size image a few posts back :)

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
So since I committed to it, does BG Tectonic Edge Rock still have game as far as modern decks go?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey, of the new commander decks, what are the best/have the best rare cards ala Nemesis from the last batch?

redux
Apr 23, 2008

Sotar posted:

So since I committed to it, does BG Tectonic Edge Rock still have game as far as modern decks go?

It's probably still not bad but if you can I really think Junk is the way to go these days. I stuck with Jund for a really long time even after playing white instead of red became more popular, but Siege Rhino is such a beating in this current metagame that I don't think staying two colors does enough for you.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

rear end Catchcum posted:

Hey, of the new commander decks, what are the best/have the best rare cards ala Nemesis from the last batch?

Containment Priest is the money card. The commander from the red deck is also getting a lot of talk, though it also has Goblin Tinkerer which is good in Legacy.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Red has the highest value with Goblin Welder, Wurmcoil, Dualcaster Mage, and Deretti. All of the others you can find for under msrp online.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Entropic posted:

So the official MTG merch store apparently now ships outside the US for like $15 instead of $40. But they no longer have the guild logo t-shirts in stock. :negative:

I have this vain hope that someday the women's clothing selection for MTG merch will stop sucking.

Alas, today is not that day.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress you whoever decided to reprint Erase (the Urza's Legacy one) in KTK.

Why yes I am playing Enchantments, how could you tell?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Reene posted:

I have this vain hope that someday the women's clothing selection for MTG merch will stop sucking.

Alas, today is not that day.

The Khans clan t-shirts would be great if the clan logos weren't boring and crappy looking out of context.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

First Bass posted:

gently caress you whoever decided to reprint Erase (the Urza's Legacy one) in KTK.

Why yes I am playing Enchantments, how could you tell?

Better that than Back to Nature. Erase isn't even that exciting, is it? Not when the enchantments self-replace thanks to Eidolon of Blossoms.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
3 Quick mechanics questions, as I'm in the process building U/R robots for standard fun times:

- Does recurring Shrapnel Blast with Howl of the Horde require extra artifacts, ie. is that cost considered paid and then it just recurs the 5 damage?

- I cast Howl of the Horde, then they counter the spell I'm planning to copy (let's say Lightning Strike). Does the Howl get 'used up' or could I then cast something else and have that be copied successfully?

- Ugin's Nexus is on the board, and I cast Shrapnel Blast using it but someone counters it. I still take the extra turn because it was sacrificed in the cost, right?

Thanks in advance. Also RE:Containment Priest, a surprising number of friends have been advocating not using it for some reason... despite the fact in our circle like 3 people (including me) are using reanimation or flickering in a big way :iiam:

The Wicked Wall fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 29, 2014

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
1. The cost is considered paid for. You don't need to sacrifice additional artifacts.

2. The effect will still take place. Only the original Lightning Strike gets countered. The Howl effect will be 'used up' and one (or two with Raid) Lightning Strikes will still be on the stack.

3. Yes, Ugin's Nexus triggered ability is irrelevant to whether Shrapnel Blast resolved or not.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
1. Nope. A cost is what you pay to put it on the stack. Howl puts a copy (or 2) on the stack.
2. Nope. Howl of the Horde triggers on casting the spell, not the spell resolving.
3. Yup. Again, the cost is what you pay to put it on the stack, so by the time it resolves the Nexus is in exile.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Cheers for the quick and useful replies! Still trying to work out how much counterspell/blue to run in the deck, but those cards were likely to be in there regardless just because of how stupid and fun they are (even just sideboard). Having played mono black and red aggro solidly for about 3 months, testing this has been pretty strange.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I mean you could just cut out the middleman and just play Mono Red Control. :getin:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I don't think counterspelling is any good in standard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ramos posted:

Containment Priest is the money card. The commander from the red deck is also getting a lot of talk, though it also has Goblin Tinkerer which is good in Legacy.

I don't think Goblin Tinkerer is all that good in legacy. It would probably be better in vintage, where mox monkey has a place.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think they meant goblin welder.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I went ahead and got Built From Scratch; and from what little I've played so far, both Daretti and Feldon are extremely fun to use. I don't think I'm shedding any new light on this, but they especially work pretty well together. The deck as a whole works really well, even if there are a few things I'd change about it. I'd say it's the best for entertainment value, and would be the best monetary value if not for Containment Priest in white.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

I don't think Goblin Tinkerer is all that good in legacy. It would probably be better in vintage, where mox monkey has a place.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I think they meant goblin welder.

Yeah, sorry, I meant Goblin Welder, who is godly in Vintage and still really good in Legacy.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is GP San Antonio being streamed at all today?

On a similar note, I am quite hyped for some World Championship action to begin in 3 days.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

qbert posted:

Is GP San Antonio being streamed at all today?
They had tech problems earlier, but it just started at twitch.tv/channelfireball

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Watching a U/B control mirror on SCG where both are on the mill plan after game 1 is warming the cockles of my cold, stasis-loving heart. Who will win in the battle between Ashiok and a grindclock?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Nobody. Nobody wins.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Failboattootoot posted:

Who will win in the battle between Ashiok and a grindclock?
Ashiok, because there is human suffering involved.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Can someone explain "invisible triggers" to me in competitive play? I heard that you don't actually have to declare Prowess triggers when they occur, just when they're "relevant"?

Are there other triggers that work like this?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Every trigger of yours works like this. You don't have to manually place them on the stack and resolve them, you only have to acknowledge them at the first time they would become relevant to the game.

I cast Mantis Rider
I cast Jeskai Ascendancy
I cast Dig Through Time
I go to combat
Mantis Rider swings for 4. <-- first required mention of the +1/+1 trigger from Jeskai Ascendancy.

"Oh wait, I forgot to draw and discard a card earlier" <-- Too bad, you should have mentioned it back when it affected the game. It is missed. If you call a judge, depending on the REL and his/her discretion, it may be added to the stack now, but probably won't be.

I cast Young Pyromancer
I cast Gitaxian Probe <--You better mention the Young Pyro trigger right now, as it has an immediate effect on the game.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Entropic posted:

The Khans clan t-shirts would be great if the clan logos weren't boring and crappy looking out of context.

A lot of magic artwork and design is extremely beautiful and I'd own a lot more MTG clothing if they made poo poo that fit me. As it is I own a single hoodie with a black mana symbol on it, which is cut for men but I bought it so large it fits more like a cardigan. Presently for sale on their site there are two crewneck (yech) t-shirts in women's sizing and one long sleeved scoop neck which has a beautiful black lotus on it but is cut so atrociously it doesn't even look good on the model.

I actually like the clans designs but I do agree they're a better fit for accessories than shirts. I managed to grab a ton of pins from people at the prerelease to stick on my bags, luckily. I wish I had more guild poo poo though.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Count Bleck posted:

I mean you could just cut out the middleman and just play Mono Red Control. :getin:

Do you happen to have a standard decklist for such a thing? I play mono red control in modern and I would love to try a standard version of it.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008

End of Life Guy posted:

Every trigger of yours works like this. You don't have to manually place them on the stack and resolve them, you only have to acknowledge them at the first time they would become relevant to the game.

I cast Mantis Rider
I cast Jeskai Ascendancy
I cast Dig Through Time
I go to combat
Mantis Rider swings for 4. <-- first required mention of the +1/+1 trigger from Jeskai Ascendancy.

"Oh wait, I forgot to draw and discard a card earlier" <-- Too bad, you should have mentioned it back when it affected the game. It is missed. If you call a judge, depending on the REL and his/her discretion, it may be added to the stack now, but probably won't be.

I cast Young Pyromancer
I cast Gitaxian Probe <--You better mention the Young Pyro trigger right now, as it has an immediate effect on the game.

Worth noting in your first example that if you had any tapped creatures on the board when you cast Dig Through Time, and didn't untap them, that both Ascendancy triggers would be missed. Mantis Rider has vigilance though, so if it's your only creature, you're in the clear.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

quote:

So there wont be any wedges present in Dragons of Tarkir?

Maro: Nope

That seems unusually definitive for an answer about a future set. I don't trust it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Deofuta posted:

Do you happen to have a standard decklist for such a thing? I play mono red control in modern and I would love to try a standard version of it.

Not mine, but I've made some edits. Namely Fated Conflagrations in place of Magma Spray and Ashcloud Phoenixes in place of the Soul of Shandalar and Scuttling Doom Engine

It runs over any not-Abzan deck and fairs decently against those.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sleep of Bronze posted:

That seems unusually definitive for an answer about a future set. I don't trust it.

There probably won't be any Dragons either. See also: Dragon's Maze.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Toshimo posted:

There probably won't be any Dragons either. See also: Dragon's Maze.

I can't wait until Niv-Mizzet finally gets his planeswalker spark so he can planeswalk to a fertile, uninhabited plane and achieve his dream: Grow enough food to feed all of Ravnica so no goblin will go hungry. He'll call it 'Dragon's Maize', of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Clearly its a double negative so there wont not be wedges in that set

• Locked thread