Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Casu Marzu posted:

Just peanut allergy or all nuts?
Just peanuts, other nuts are fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sashimi posted:

Just peanuts, other nuts are fine.

Cashews would prob be nice in there, then. They maintain their crunch p good like a peanut.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

eine dose socken posted:

I just ate a packet of chinese pickled vegetables and looking for a recipe online, found all manners of warnings about possible contamination and toxicity.

I live in Germany and our food controls are usually pretty strict for imported foodstuffs, so i can hardly imagine they'd allow highly polluted food to be imported and sold.

What's your take on the issue- is there seriously such a high risk involved with buying pickled veggies made in mainland China?

Should I try and stick to buying products made in Taiwan?

The sad thing is that recent food scandals show a toxic relationship between food stuffs in Hong Kong / Taiwan / China. Prep materials get imported from areas of safer food reputations but turns out that the supply chain is tainted. Thanks globalism

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

They're pretty drat easy to make yourself if you want to. Pickled mustard greens: salt mustard greens liberally with coarse salt and leave in a container over-night, rinse off salt next day, pour over 5% (by weight) saltwater brine optionally with some aromatics if you want to and cover with a weight (or ziploc bag with brine in it), leave out at room temp for several days or until it's as sour as you want it. Done. Same basic procedure will work for a lot of different veggies.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

eine dose socken posted:

I just ate a packet of chinese pickled vegetables and looking for a recipe online, found all manners of warnings about possible contamination and toxicity.

I live in Germany and our food controls are usually pretty strict for imported foodstuffs, so i can hardly imagine they'd allow highly polluted food to be imported and sold.

What's your take on the issue- is there seriously such a high risk involved with buying pickled veggies made in mainland China?

Well, there is a lot of stuff imported from china and reexported from Taiwan. Its a bit sketchy.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

eine dose socken posted:

While yes, China has had it's share of food related problems, you're not going to drop dead if you eat something from mainland China. Afterall, 1.4 billion people eat food from there every day (and probably many more from exported food) and they are not all dying.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wouldn't worry about it much either. If you're not buying the absolute cheapest thing on Earth it's probably okay, and even if there's a little pollution in it you're not eating that much.

This is the kind of thing you can spin out of control on, it's best to just not worry. I wouldn't buy one dollar a gallon soy sauce but otherwise, eh. We're all going to die anyway.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Thoht posted:

They're pretty drat easy to make yourself if you want to. Pickled mustard greens: salt mustard greens liberally with coarse salt and leave in a container over-night, rinse off salt next day, pour over 5% (by weight) saltwater brine optionally with some aromatics if you want to and cover with a weight (or ziploc bag with brine in it), leave out at room temp for several days or until it's as sour as you want it. Done. Same basic procedure will work for a lot of different veggies.

Now I have dumb questions to ask.

Can I use kosher salt? What is a salt-water brine? How long will this keep if I stuck it in a clean, glass jar with a rubber seal lid?

I haven't had pickled mustard greens with ground pork in ages, and this excites me a lot. I have a feeling it will not please my husband though. Oh my god, I could make steamed pork belly with mustard greens too.

or I could forgo the mustard greens and make steamed pork belly with taro.

Now I'm starving.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any recommendations for an outdoor burner for the backyard preferably with a stand? I was looking here: http://importfood.com/thaigasburner.html but it looks like they don't have a starter/igniter. Also not in stock anyways.

kontona
May 3, 2003

i've been using this one for a few month's and i like it so far.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

squigadoo posted:

Now I have dumb questions to ask.

Can I use kosher salt? What is a salt-water brine? How long will this keep if I stuck it in a clean, glass jar with a rubber seal lid?

I haven't had pickled mustard greens with ground pork in ages, and this excites me a lot. I have a feeling it will not please my husband though. Oh my god, I could make steamed pork belly with mustard greens too.

or I could forgo the mustard greens and make steamed pork belly with taro.

Now I'm starving.

You can use kosher salt, just make sure you do 5% salt by weight, not volume; salt-water brine is literally just salt and water, optionally with other stuff for flavor in it. So at work, for a big batch, I do 20 qts water and 2 lbs salt and about 1.5 cups plain white sugar. The sugar all ferments out to acid in the end, making it a little more sour, and it also helps kick-start the fermentation with the good bacteria, helping to prevent ones that produce weird off-flavors from getting a foothold.

So, start to finish:

Buy a bunch of Gai Choy
Cut them in half.
Layer them in a container, sprinkling each layer liberally with coarse salt, and let sit in your fridge overnight.

Rinse the greens well in a couple changes of water to get off all the dirt/salt and allow to drain.

Make your brine. You want enough liquid so that when they're weighted down, the greens will all be submerged. A good way to estimate is that if you lightly pack the greens in a container with volume measured on the side, check the volume level they come up to, then you want to make about half that volume in brine. So if they come to the 6 qt mark on an 8 qt cambro then you'd want to make a brine with 3 qts water, 4.8 oz salt (this is 5% by weight), and about 1/4 cup white sugar (you can tweak this amount to help adjust your final sourness).
Combine your water, salt, sugar, and any flavorings you want to add (we use whole garlic cloves, big slices ginger, and turmeric) and bring to a boil. Take off the heat and let cool to room temperature, or at least only warm to the touch instead of hot. Alternatively, you can heat just part of your water with the other ingredients, then add the remaining cold water at the end so that you don't have to wait for it to cool.

Lightly press your greens into your fermentation container (glass, ceramic, plastic, doesn't really matter as long as it'll fit everything and is non-reactive) and cover with your brine. It's important you don't pack them down too much because if they're too tightly packed there won't be enough brine for it to work properly and they'll end up tasting really weird. Weigh them down with something so they're all submerged. A ziploc bag filled with extra brine works well for square containers.

Put the container somewhere warm and let 'er ride. After roughly 4 days they should be ready to use, but you can let them go longer if they're not fermented enough for your tastes yet (I like them at the 7 day mark). When they're at the level you like, store them in their brine in the fridge and they'll keep for months.

I know it sounds pretty involved but the actual labor is really minimal and the cost is super low.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Thoht posted:

I know it sounds pretty involved but the actual labor is really minimal and the cost is super low.

Awesome, thank you so much. I am looking forward to some steamed braised porkbelly and mui choy in a week.

squigadoo fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 20, 2014

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

kontona posted:

i've been using this one for a few month's and i like it so far.

Are you using a round bottom wok with a wok ring?? The flame can go pretty high I assume? The placement looks low.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
My friends and I are doing spicy hotpot for Thanksgiving, and I'm trying to think of interesting or seasonal ingredients to bring. Any suggestions?

kontona
May 3, 2003

lol internet. posted:

Are you using a round bottom wok with a wok ring?? The flame can go pretty high I assume? The placement looks low.

the flames are sufficient and will get your wok hot. i don't use a wok ring but i don't think it'd be hard to get one to work with it.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Two Worlds posted:

My friends and I are doing spicy hotpot for Thanksgiving, and I'm trying to think of interesting or seasonal ingredients to bring. Any suggestions?

Pumpkin is good in hot pot, also corn.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
So what are the differences between hongshourou and dongporou?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Soy Milk hot pot. Or Congee hot pot if you have lots of mean and not much bones. Both works wonders.

As for differences between hongshao meat and dongbo meat? Cooked similarly but are from different geographic regions. Dongbo meat is definitely from Hangzhou. Hongshao is from Hunan, the birthplace of Mao but the dish has been appropriated from Shanghai folks.

Dongbo is not spicy as all and Hongshao varies. Hunan version is spicy as hell, whereas Shanghai is more sweet. Argle can fill you in when it comes to Hunan food

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So what are the differences between hongshourou and dongporou?

Hongshaorou as she is ate in Hunan refers not only to the cooking method of the meat but the dish. So hongshaorou in Hunan is invariably fatty stewed pork, sliced big green chiles, and garlic in a fairly stewy sauce. There's a bit of anise flavor but not nearly as much as I expected, although you do have to watch out for biting on chunks of anise. There are some variations but everywhere you go you'll get the meat, chiles, garlic and stew/sauce. Dongporou is also fatty pork but the sauce (if present) and presentation is very different. I'd say they're the same cut of fatty-as-hell meat and they're both stewed but beyond that they diverge. Is dongporou even anise flavored? I don't know much about east coast food.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 29, 2014

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
With so many differences in Chinese cooking, talking about hongshaorou is like talking about barbeque ribs. Every place you go will have something different.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well I had hongshaorou a ton of times in Changsha and a few times in central Hunan and even once in Shaoshan, and they all shared the properties I listed.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If it's sugary as hell and really really really sweet, it's probably from Shanghai/Suzhou.

If it's lots of garlic and really spicy, then central.

Same cut of pork

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Hongshaorou as she is ate in Hunan refers not only to the cooking method of the meat but the dish. So hongshaorou in Hunan is invariably fatty stewed pork, sliced big green chiles, and garlic in a fairly stewy sauce. There's a bit of anise flavor but not nearly as much as I expected, although you do have to watch out for biting on chunks of anise. There are some variations but everywhere you go you'll get the meat, chiles, garlic and stew/sauce. Dongporou is also fatty pork but the sauce (if present) and presentation is very different. I'd say they're the same cut of fatty-as-hell meat and they're both stewed but beyond that they diverge. Is dongporou even anise flavored? I don't know much about east coast food.

I've only had both in Shanghai and the only immediate difference between the two were that hongshaorou had smaller (but still large) pieces chopped and stewed together, where as dongporou had one large cut of belly meat sliced and cooked in its own little ramekin, as a result it had much more fat still intact. Sauced very similarly, and since I was in Shanghai they both had an anise flavor, hongshaorou even more so. Neither were very spicy. Some of the Shanghai style I had had green vegetables stewed in with them as well.

Took some pics:

Hongshaorou at Chun in Shanghai

Huiguorou, which is probably my favorite thing ever @ Chen's Mapo Doufu.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That 回锅肉 looks pretty authentic but I'm pretty sure if you showed that 红烧肉 to some folks from Hunan they'd be all like ogaaai?!

That looks nothing like the Hong Shao rou you would get in Hunan. Nothing like.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

That 回锅肉 looks pretty authentic but I'm pretty sure if you showed that 红烧肉 to some folks from Hunan they'd be all like ogaaai?!

That 红烧肉 looks exactly like what my family and our family friends make.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd eat that hong but yeah it looks nothing like any I've ever seen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rurutia posted:

That 红烧肉 looks exactly like what my family and our family friends make.

Are you from Hunan?

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Usually you get two different types of HongShaoRou depending on how it's going to be eaten.

If it's a main dish, then it is mostly meat and has very few vegetables, a lot of garlic, and peppers.

If you're getting it gaifan (on rice - usually as a meal) then it includes a lot more vegetables to counter the saltiness of the meat.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Also, I recommend this site for finding Chinese recipes.

http://www.meishij.net/

Most recipes come with photos detailing every step, the ingredients are photos and it's easy to Google translate using Chrome or getting a popup browser dictionary.

Here is that delicious looking HongShaoRou

http://www.meishij.net/jiangchangcaipu/hongshaorou_26.html

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Aero737 posted:

Usually you get two different types of HongShaoRou depending on how it's going to be eaten.

If it's a main dish, then it is mostly meat and has very few vegetables, a lot of garlic, and peppers.

If you're getting it gaifan (on rice - usually as a meal) then it includes a lot more vegetables to counter the saltiness of the meat.

Is this is Hunan?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

That 回锅肉 looks pretty authentic

Would hope so. Chen's is supposed to be pretty legit.

quote:

but I'm pretty sure if you showed that 红烧肉 to some folks from Hunan they'd be all like ogaaai?!

And Chun is supposed to be pretty legit but exclusively Shanghai style cooking. Had it again a week or so later at Harvest (?) in Shanghai and it was really different than the style at Chun, which is similar to how I've had it else where. It was a larger intact piece cut into long slivers with the meat having a pulled pork kind of texture. It was super loving good, but if I had to pick, the Chun style is my favorite.

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

Aero737 posted:

Also, I recommend this site for finding Chinese recipes.

http://www.meishij.net/

Most recipes come with photos detailing every step, the ingredients are photos and it's easy to Google translate using Chrome or getting a popup browser dictionary.

Here is that delicious looking HongShaoRou

http://www.meishij.net/jiangchangcaipu/hongshaorou_26.html

Oh poo poo, this website looks like the real loving deal. Thanks!

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was inspired by this thread and drove to the Asian market to pick up some goodies. Most of this probably isn't the ideal equipment or ingredients, but I very little clue as to what I was searching for in most cases.

I purchased most of the stuff that's in the OP, however I think my wok has a non-stick coating on it. When I turned it on the highest heat for my range's quick boil setting, it began to emit smoke and a plasticky smell. Any recommendations for how to remove this? Is it even worth it? The wok was only $12 so I could splurge for a more suitable one if anyone has any recommendations in that department as well. They had a plethora of different types at the market.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is the bottle with the clear liquid supposed to be vinegar?

Chinese vinegar is black.

Carbon steel wok is pretty cheap, so you might as well get one. http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=carbon+steel+wok Though, are you sure yours has a nonstick coating and it's not just oil that's used to protect the steel from rust that's being burned off?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Carbon steel wok is pretty cheap, so you might as well get one. http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=carbon+steel+wok Though, are you sure yours has a nonstick coating and it's not just oil that's used to protect the steel from rust that's being burned off?

I think rice wine vinegar is still white?

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

totalnewbie posted:

It's entirely possible I grabbed the wrong thing.

Re: wok coating. I hadn't thought of that. It could be a protective coating but it sure smelled like burnt plastic. I don't think it's worth finding out - I'll likely get one of the ones you've recommended. Thanks!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trustfund. posted:

I was inspired by this thread and drove to the Asian market to pick up some goodies. Most of this probably isn't the ideal equipment or ingredients, but I very little clue as to what I was searching for in most cases.

I purchased most of the stuff that's in the OP, however I think my wok has a non-stick coating on it. When I turned it on the highest heat for my range's quick boil setting, it began to emit smoke and a plasticky smell. Any recommendations for how to remove this? Is it even worth it? The wok was only $12 so I could splurge for a more suitable one if anyone has any recommendations in that department as well. They had a plethora of different types at the market.

Carbon steel woks are shipped coated in machine oil so they don't rust. You need to scrub the poo poo out of it before you use it.

edit: I mean, you should have scrubbed the poo poo out of it before you used it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Teflon is going to be a thick black coating so I'm pretty sure you're safe to use it once you get it seasoned.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Arcturas posted:

I think rice wine vinegar is still white?

What I had in Shanghai/Chengdu was slightly red in color. But it could have been something else. I was told it was rice wine vinegar though.

ed

Also the stuff I use at home from Kroger has a slight pink tone to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, plastic and oil aren't really that far off from each other, nor from Teflon for that matter, so it's entirely possible that it smells similar when burnt.

If the surface is slightly bumpy/rough then it's Teflon. Otherwise, it's probably just a coating.

And regarding vinegar, you guys are weird, there's only one true vinegar:
https://www.google.com/search?q=chi...ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

(Not to suggest there's not other kinds of Chinese vinegar)