Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

i'm gonna need a proper translation of this

that's good to hear about character data transfer, i wouldn't have really minded having to play through NG over again but it wouldn't have been preferable

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2nqqjm/famitsu_interview_tanimura_refers_to_ability_to/

quote:

It’s been some time now since we released the base game, and the way that players are enjoying the multiplayer aspects has matured. Because of this, we are leaning towards breaking down the barriers. We're planning on allowing players to self-adjust their total accumulated souls [soul memory], which is the main condition for matchmaking. On top of that we're making other revisions such as relaxing the time restrictions on multiplayer and changing the rewards for a "duty fulfilled".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Obviously it means that #1 NPC Torchguy now follows you through the entire game, his undying love (torch) illuminating everything from miles away.

or some flowery language for increased LoD, which is pretty gay too.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So I suppose no one knows at this point whether or not this version will be worth it. I have a character who finished the end game ages ago but I didn't bother picking up the dlc at that time. Now I felt like getting it but I have no idea whether or not it is better to wait. I don't suppose we have any idea what the pricing will be?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

there was nothing gay about this at all :(

adjusting your soul memory seems crazy. i wonder what kind of limits will be put on that.

Mindblast posted:

So I suppose no one knows at this point whether or not this version will be worth it. I have a character who finished the end game ages ago but I didn't bother picking up the dlc at that time. Now I felt like getting it but I have no idea whether or not it is better to wait. I don't suppose we have any idea what the pricing will be?

no clue but i would bet on a brand new $60 release.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I wonder if the new enemy placements will be NG+ only. Maybe not all of them but some.. For instance I think there's little point in having one fight the Guardian Dragon in Heide's Tower of Flame when he shows up as a boss much later. Unless they replace that boss with something actually cool, then I'm all for it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

IGgy IGsen posted:

I wonder if the new enemy placements will be NG+ only. Maybe not all of them but some.. For instance I think there's little point in having one fight the Guardian Dragon in Heide's Tower of Flame when he shows up as a boss much later. Unless they replace that boss with something actually cool, then I'm all for it.

If they were there wouldnt be much point to a brand new rerelease.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

The point would be as an early preview for the Guardian Dragon, and to have a proper bridge roasting sequence which this game is sadly lacking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

The point would be as an early preview for the Guardian Dragon, and to have a proper bridge roasting sequence which this game is sadly lacking.

You get to watch some npcs get scorched, that's almost as good.

It's not as good at all.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Genocyber posted:

and to have a proper bridge roasting sequence which this game is sadly lacking.
This is a good point.

If the Guardian Dragon is actually fought there it's kind of a weird choice. At least for first time players.
Then again, seeing people put up videos in which they rage against the game for allowing you to go to an area as relatively hard compared to other early game areas right from the start should be funny.
But no one really knows how they'll handle this particular encounter yet and how exactly they'll handle the alternate placements in general. I certainly hope there's more of a mix-up in NG+ this time around, because aside from a few exceptions most of the extra enemies in NG+ were uninspired.

E: I want Things Betwixt in NG+ to just spawn a couple bosses on top of you in the starting area and fill the entire Iron Keep with Capra Demons as a nod to Demon Ruins.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 29, 2014

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

i'm gonna need a proper translation of this

that's good to hear about character data transfer, i wouldn't have really minded having to play through NG over again but it wouldn't have been preferable

My impression from the Reddit translation is that he is referring to the current version (PS3, X360, PC) players being able to use their saves after the update. Not to being able to transfer your save to the next-gen versions.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i play on PC and that'd be super lame if i can't transfer my save on that :(

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Heyyy - I Soulsed a bunch but haven't touched this since just before all the DLC dropped. Couple things I'm wonderin' while I jump back in purty please?

Wondering what the general SL ranges for the DLC areas are?

From some light googling a while ago, it sound OK for something like first giant boss duder->Pursuer->Sentinels->Gutter->Entrance for the first DLC is from the arena from the fat dude right?

I used to get random freezes/crashes with Gedosato and gave up on it, tried it with the latest version again last night and after a while my whole PC locked up. Any known things to look for there? AMD card if it matters.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I suppose a Guardian Dragon being in Heide's Tower sort of makes sense seeing as how that's where the DragonRider is.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think that the DLC areas will be kind of tough if you go for them as soon as you get them, Sunken King at least maybe. You might want to save it for after drangleic castle maybe? They're tough guys in there, both in terms of poise and magic resistance.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You can do them as soon as you get to them.
Its just not recommended. And poise is one of those things that doesnt scale with level so thats out of the equation.

But there is a point where it feels quite good for all of them bar Ivory Crown.
Right after killing all four old ones.

At that point youd have figured a good build, gotten your preferred loadout and upgraded it as youd want. The damage output of most vuilds at that time also should be enough for the enemies in the DLC, which, iirc, dont have that much more HP and physical def than the Syan Knights.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah you're right about poise aren't you, cause the amount of poise damage you do is totally dependent on the weapon you are using.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Sunken is easy if you understand the gimmicks, especially the 1st area (abuse puzzle platforms, roll into backstab 24/7).

Iron King is definitely all about arrow abuse and poise weapons.

Snowland is definitely a post-game area in terms of stats needed because it has both super tough enemies that are also immune to backstabs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

Snowland is definitely a post-game area in terms of stats needed because it has both super tough enemies that are also immune to backstabs.

That's not true at all. In terms of stats the enemies are no tougher than the other DLCs, and in terms of placement and AI they're arguably much easier.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

Sunken is easy if you understand the gimmicks, especially the 1st area (abuse puzzle platforms, roll into backstab 24/7).

Iron King is definitely all about arrow abuse and poise weapons.

I don't agree with any of these things. You're not gonna go into Sunken King knowing what you're doing the first time and the puzzles aren't what made it difficult on your first try, I can't think of anything you'd need arrows for with Iron King, and you can definitely do the Ivory King stuff as soon as you open the Shrine of Winter with reasonable success. You should be at about full power (primary scaling stat at 40, fully upgraded weapon) by the time you've opened Drangleic.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Davinci posted:

I suppose a Guardian Dragon being in Heide's Tower sort of makes sense seeing as how that's where the DragonRider is.

Oh, it's not like the Dragonriders stopped ridding dragons because they didn't have any.

They just got too fat, is all

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Davinci posted:

the trick is, if you try to do the cheesy kill on dragonrider where you make him fall off, a guardian dragon catches him and now you have to deal with the lovely boss riding a dragon

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They did mention they'd alter movesets of some enemies, so maybe Dragonrider will be interesting to fight this time around?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't agree with any of these things. You're not gonna go into Sunken King knowing what you're doing the first time and the puzzles aren't what made it difficult on your first try, I can't think of anything you'd need arrows for with Iron King, and you can definitely do the Ivory King stuff as soon as you open the Shrine of Winter with reasonable success. You should be at about full power (primary scaling stat at 40, fully upgraded weapon) by the time you've opened Drangleic.
I found taking on Ivory the hardest at a lower levels. I got to the shrine of winter at 800k SM my last game and despite making progress in both of the other DLCs I had to give up and come back to the ivory DLC later. The ivory enemies have fast attacks, they have good reach, their combos are annoyingly long, and the rapier ones have as much bullshit tracking as the spear hollows in forest of the giants. Also ivory has dogs and bonewheel mk III's.

Sunken enemies are damage sponges with apparently infinite poise that hit a bit harder, but they are slow as piss and telegraph every attack. The iron king enemies have no poise and not much health either, and the iron golems are so slow you can gently caress up every time and back off to heal. I will say the iron golems are absolutely terrifying in higher NG+ cycles, they have a lot of health and their fire spouts between attacks do so much damage you can die to them over time.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Sanctum posted:

Sunken enemies are damage sponges with apparently infinite poise.

Not even close, the enemies there can be poise broken just like any other regular enemy. It just takes a little more. Two attacks from a heavy weapon usually does it (maybe one from some of the more ridiculous ones, like chicken wing, but I haven't tested that). And I mean actually heavy. Not Greatsword or Halberd types, but Ultra Greatsword and Greathammer types.
Other than that three or four from your regular twigs interrupt them as well, depending on whether or not you use the stone ring (which you should anyway if you're not using bigger weapons, why people ignore this ring sometimes is beyond me). This does not make them harder one bit because they are very easy to backstab to balance that out. Only later do they add the poison, which just might get you if you go for backstabs and may force you to take a different approach but you have the option to go the easy way at a higher risk (which can be countered or calculated easily).

As far as I'm concered the Sunken King DLC is the easiest,
The one I had the most trouble with my first time around was Crown of the Old Iron King.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 30, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Davinci posted:

Apparently in Japanese the Guardian Dragon doesn't use the same character as the dragon the Dragonriders ride, and the concept art shows them riding what is basically a different creature altogether too.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Apparently in Japanese the Guardian Dragon doesn't use the same character as the dragon the Dragonriders ride, and the concept art shows them riding what is basically a different creature altogether too.

Because they are actually Wyrm Riders, yes. The game even refers to the things they ride as Wyrms, I think. In some of the descriptions. It's not very well translated in some parts. Which is probably why they will fix some of the descriptions.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Is there a way to edit NG+ status? My friend wants to hit up the DLC coop areas, but I don't feel like running a fresh character to Drangleic.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Because they are actually Wyrm Riders, yes. The game even refers to the things they ride as Wyrms, I think. In some of the descriptions. It's not very well translated in some parts. Which is probably why they will fix some of the descriptions.

I'm guessing this T-Rex creature from the concept art is supposed to be a wyrm

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Oh holy poo poo they're Raptor Riders, straight out of a 90's kids commercial.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
They need laser cannons

Fereydun posted:

the trick is, if you try to do the cheesy kill on dragonrider where you make him fall off, a guardian dragon catches him and now you have to deal with the lovely boss riding a dragon
And then you move out of the way of a divebomb, and the dragon falls to its death like in Valley of Drakes, right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Oh, so that's what the dragon butts of Lost Izalith looked like before they were removed.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Now that would have been a neat boss fight. The only thing memorable about the Dragon Rider now is that hilariously easy quick kill.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
Oh my god the drakekeeper greataxe 2H R2 combo is so slow that I've managed to kill people by landing both hits. I have to predict their next attack well in advance for the first R2, but afterwards they think I'm recovering because the follow-up is so significantly delayed and I'm temptingly open.

Huge weapons feel so rewarding when you can catch people with free-aiming swings, plus there's the satisfaction of sometimes beating those fast pokey R1 spammers without even parrying them.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Oh my god the drakekeeper greataxe 2H R2 combo is so slow that I've managed to kill people by landing both hits. I have to predict their next attack well in advance for the first R2, but afterwards they think I'm recovering because the follow-up is so significantly delayed and I'm temptingly open.

Huge weapons feel so rewarding when you can catch people with free-aiming swings, plus there's the satisfaction of sometimes beating those fast pokey R1 spammers without even parrying them.

The best thing about the Drakekeeper Greataxe is baiting someone with the first two-handed R2 and then nailing them with the second attack.

If you can get the first hit in, even better.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Edit: Whoops!

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one
I almost knocked a guy over the iron bridge rail with the R2 combo just now, it sucks that they nerfed the force of those launch attacks. What was so bad about it before that required nerfing? It made killing hackers too easy? If you can manage to hit a normal-sized human with a giant weapon's slow R2 they should go flying.

I love how players can make their own rules for PVPing. I got invaded by some guy while I was fighting another red, and like 99% of invaders he stayed back and waited but then without warning he started shooting his avelyn at me. Me and the red soap both double-teamed him, but later he invaded again and the guy I was fighting didn't understand why I stopped dueling to fight this other guy so I wound up getting double-teamed by both of them. I have my own duel rule when I'm the host or able to dictate it, the other guy only gets one buff. If he casts GMB or sacred oath that's his buff, if he thinks I'll wait for him to buff his weapon as well then he's about to find me a very rude person.

I was about to banishment out of this fight club after 3 fights, but then the host found another summon who was in full havels. Right away I decided this guy had to die at any cost. So when he rolled into the hosts corner with warmth in the middle of the fight, usually I'd do nothing and let them be as scrubby as they need. But this scumbag was already wearing full havels, he had embraced scrubbiness shamelessy and I could show no him mercy. I went in swinging with my twinblade and hit the host pretty hard but in the end I beat the havel.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 4, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm confused, does that new DLC pack announced contain anythingnew or is just a compilation of the crown DLCs

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm confused, does that new DLC pack announced contain anythingnew or is just a compilation of the crown DLCs

Apparently yes. We just don't know what yet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Though you do get it free if you already own the game from what I understand. You don't get the new matchmaking system, AI tweaks, or upgraded graphics though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Do you get grandfathered if you have the season pass?